Kaunas Zalgiris Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
    Rumour is that Jasikevicius wants Jokubaitis in Barsa.

Any euphoria about yet another season of Jankunas with green jerseys?
    Euphoria? More like heart-attack for some Jankunas eternal doubters here Good that he proved them all wrong for some n-th time, maybe even last one, but cap deserved another season, it would be great farewell with crowded arena

Losing yesterday was kinda embarrassing, but not surprising at all. Typical LKL regular season game for Zalgiris where attitude and motivation doesn't happen. It's been like that for years already, the reason it's a shame to watch it. Saw it again and turned it off after 2qtr, time wasting. I hope they won't fool around in PO, we don't need even slightly longer LKL season to start preparing for OQT.

Now it's more itneresting how the team will look like next season. This one was good one in EL, bearing in mind Saras departure. 17-17 ok, but if adding all the puzzle together it could've been better, at least in terms that we could done some things better to increase our chances. Management didn't do it all, we needed to have extra signing at SF, it was a must, it was known early enough that Garino will be out for this long, but it was decided to save some money. Not a right way to go. It could've been different story.
    Now we'll lose Grigonis. Looking the way he plays lately, I don't think we won't cope with it, it's sad to lose a Lith leader tho, no such affordable players in market. Walkup might leave too, we would miss his defensive efforts, I'd want him to stay as defensive stopper, but not as main creative guy. We need more offense oriented PG or combo. Jokubaitis should stay as back-up. Barca rumors? It'd be simply wrong to go there now, too early. I don't care too much about Lekavicius tbh, only thing why I keep him into consideration is his nationality. Garino is big questionmark. He will want to go to Olympics for sure, so wouldn't be surprised to see his knee not handling full season after. In frontcourt would surely loan one of the Geben/Blazevic. Most likely latter, to get more playing time, likely in some foreign league, maybe BCL or Eurocup team or ACB only. Enough of bench warming. Hayes probably will leave too, to chase NBA dream. I guess we might need two more guys there if Rubit will stay, I'd add one offensive guy, a bit expensive one and one defensive, cheaper option to add muscles from bench. Anyway, still a bit hard to guess what Schiller will want, cause for the first time he will be able to build his team. Also how much money P-Mo will want to spend

Comment

• Basically all three key players in Grigonis, Hayes, Walkup should be gone. Grigonis was fun to watch in his best stretches, but a little harder slump then expected in the crucial stretch of Zalgiris run and he tends to whine too much and to be too soft. Hayes is super impressive when he's delivering, but I have a feeling he always playing within 95% effort and something is generally wrong with his motor. I think he lacks passion for the game. Walkup is a fighter, but sometimes eyes bleed following his offensive game. Generally, I'm not too sensitive about any of them, even though at the moment there's no other Grigonis as Lithuanian.

It would be fun to see more offensively minded starting PG. Hope Jokubaitis stays as legitimate back-up this time. Lekavicius could go somewhere to be honest, Schiller doesn't know how to use him. If somehow Jokubaitis leaves, I hope Zalgiris would sign Velicka. I feel he's the most ready and up to Schiller's style from affordable Lithuanians (in 2 years he could be more offensively minded version of Walkup as beefy, tough white PG), mentioning such names as I. Brazdeikis (I feel he would hit the wall in Europe as well at the start), G. Masiulis, A. Kulboka, D. Giedraitis. Not sure how reliable rumour that Zalgiris has some interest in Margiris Normantas. I would be sceptical. Dude is not bad, tough, has good motor, improved his shooting. But I'm afraid at EL level he would be Geben at PG position in the best case scenario and much worse in others.
      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
      Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
        Euphoria? More like heart-attack for some Jankunas eternal doubters here Good that he proved them all wrong for some n-th time, maybe even last one, but cap deserved another season, it would be great farewell with crowded arena.
        Paulius Jankūnas had better than decent numbers this year and he'll only be 37 next year so I see no need for him to retire yet. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the LKL player balloting this year in the dirtiest player category!

Last edited by Hepcat; 04-13-2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Basically all three key players in Grigonis, Hayes, Walkup should be gone. Grigonis was fun to watch in his best stretches, but a little harder slump then expected in the crucial stretch of Zalgiris run and he tends to whine too much and to be too soft. Hayes is super impressive when he's delivering, but I have a feeling he always playing within 95% effort and something is generally wrong with his motor. I think he lacks passion for the game. Walkup is a fighter, but sometimes eyes bleed following his offensive game. Generally, I'm not too sensitive about any of them, even though at the moment there's no other Grigonis as Lithuanian.
          Hayes thinks too much. As crazy as its sounds. His head is his biggest enemy on the court. It was especially obvious in his first season. He just needs to play. Also I mentioned it lot of times that I didn't like that Saras tried to use him as some stretch 4 only. That was plain wrong, cause I saw him in Galatasaray as much more versatile player. He isn't great shooter, started to concentrate on these triples only and if they weren't falling he took it deep into his head and couldn't get over it. Schiller did the same till finally tried him as SF too. In those PF/SF stretches that was that Hayes I wanted to see. But if smth goes wrong - he fcks up in his head too much and it's all over, he is nowhere to be seen. That best version of Hayes would be brilliant, but it comes not that frequently we would want to.

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
          It would be fun to see more offensively minded starting PG. Hope Jokubaitis stays as legitimate back-up this time. Lekavicius could go somewhere to be honest, Schiller doesn't know how to use him. If somehow Jokubaitis leaves, I hope Zalgiris would sign Velicka. I feel he's the most ready and up to Schiller's style from affordable Lithuanians (in 2 years he could be more offensively minded version of Walkup as beefy, tough white PG), mentioning such names as I. Brazdeikis (I feel he would hit the wall in Europe as well at the start), G. Masiulis, A. Kulboka, D. Giedraitis. Not sure how reliable rumour that Zalgiris has some interest in Margiris Normantas. I would be sceptical. Dude is not bad, tough, has good motor, improved his shooting. But I'm afraid at EL level he would be Geben at PG position in the best case scenario and much worse in others.
          Let's face the truth - there's no Lith players in LKL to help Zalgiris these days, even abroad there's barely someone, I mean who are affordable or free. Maybe Brazdeikis could be an option if he won't raise salary bar too high. This drought of Liths is a reason why some Lekavicius has a shot to stay, some Dimsa might be brought back and etc. Zalgiris simply needs some Lithuanian faces. But if there's none, I'd simply bring foreigners and that's it. We'll have around 1.5mln free from Grigonis, Walkup, Hayes. Knowing P-Mo he will never use it all on new players, but you can buy 3 or even 4 really fine players here. I thought some Lundberg would be great add as that offensive PG, not selfish, great team-mate, a profile of person Zalgiris is looking for. Also he tasted EL with CSKA, thought it's only short term solution for Russians, but now with James gone, Lundberg is getting more chances and use this quite good, so CSKA probably will re-sign him. But maybe... I'll keep this wish for myself At SG my personal wish still remains guy like Javonte Green, who was rock solid in Eurocup, before moving to NBA, where he isn't getting much chances. Good defensive player, athletic, can score. Could be that defensive sub for Walkup. I wanted Zalgiris to sign him before his NBA journey. If not him, then these Cordinier rumors sounds interesting, player on rise, who might end up in top European clubs in few years, also athletic, scorer, but hardly a defensive stopper. As back-up I heard Zalgiris is taking into consideration Mobley from German BBL, one of the best scorers there, very good 3pts shooter, can play at PG. Lundberg/Jokubaitis/Javonte/Mobley/Lekavicius or Dimsa I think would be really interesting combination of scoring, athleticism, which could suit faster Schiller's style of game. In frontcourt that Wainright name is sounding louder and louder. Still hard to say if its agents tricks or real deal, but as defensive guy from bench he looks interesting, mountain of muscles, beside him we'd need some offensive PF/SF, there were Bonzie Colson rumours, could be an option, also I'd consider Sam Dekker, really decent scorer. Let's say Dekker/Wainright/Jankunas sounds intriguing and good mix of offense/defense/experience. Anyway all these are just ideas off the top of my head, there might be better suitable names, better options. Too ealry to say what Schiller will exactly want

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
          Paulius Jankūnas had better than decent numbers this year and he'll only be 37 next year so I see no need for him to retire yet. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the LKL player ballopting this year in the dirtiest player category!

It'll be hard to beat Skucas in it Actually both are kinda different dirty. Jankunas does some dirty tricks using his IQ, some elbow, some tiny push, some acting, Skucas just does stupid things which can lead to injuries

Comment

Let's face the truth - there's no Lith players in LKL to help Zalgiris these days, even abroad there's barely someone, I mean who are affordable or free. Maybe Brazdeikis could be an option if he won't raise salary bar too high.
            No flat out studs who would surely deliver at this level, I agree. Such would be some Sedekerskis who at the second phase of the season clearly showed that he's braking out and has tools to bring impact to the team. The same Brazdeikis is huuugeee question mark. But, again, let's not underrate what Velicka is bringing. 14,4pts, 5.7as in BBL. I have a feeling next season he has a good shot to exceed such players as Kariniauskas, Dimsa. Another wealthy off season and he might be more dominant and better player overall than my mentioned NT boderliners. This summer he stepped up developing wise and has been balling at really solid level all season as a 20/21yo. Taking him now would mean a little credit, but to me it's a nice gamble. We don't have Lith PGs with such upside every year to say the least, so Zalgiris shouldn't sleep if Jokubaitis out. Or grab him and loan him.

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
            This drought of Liths is a reason why some Lekavicius has a shot to stay, some Dimsa might be brought back and etc. Zalgiris simply needs some Lithuanian faces. But if there's none, I'd simply bring foreigners and that's it. We'll have around 1.5mln free from Grigonis, Walkup, Hayes. Knowing P-Mo he will never use it all on new players, but you can buy 3 or even 4 really fine players here. I thought some Lundberg would be great add as that offensive PG, not selfish, great team-mate, a profile of person Zalgiris is looking for. Also he tasted EL with CSKA, thought it's only short term solution for Russians, but now with James gone, Lundberg is getting more chances and use this quite good, so CSKA probably will re-sign him. But maybe... I'll keep this wish for myself At SG my personal wish still remains guy like Javonte Green, who was rock solid in Eurocup, before moving to NBA, where he isn't getting much chances. Good defensive player, athletic, can score. Could be that defensive sub for Walkup. I wanted Zalgiris to sign him before his NBA journey. If not him, then these Cordinier rumors sounds interesting, player on rise, who might end up in top European clubs in few years, also athletic, scorer, but hardly a defensive stopper. As back-up I heard Zalgiris is taking into consideration Mobley from German BBL, one of the best scorers there, very good 3pts shooter, can play at PG. Lundberg/Jokubaitis/Javonte/Mobley/Lekavicius or Dimsa I think would be really interesting combination of scoring, athleticism, which could suit faster Schiller's style of game. In frontcourt that Wainright name is sounding louder and louder. Still hard to say if its agents tricks or real deal, but as defensive guy from bench he looks interesting, mountain of muscles, beside him we'd need some offensive PF/SF, there were Bonzie Colson rumours, could be an option, also I'd consider Sam Dekker, really decent scorer. Let's say Dekker/Wainright/Jankunas sounds intriguing and good mix of offense/defense/experience. Anyway all these are just ideas off the top of my head, there might be better suitable names, better options. Too ealry to say what Schiller will exactly want
            I love these foreigners options. Even though Lundberg and Javonte sounds a bit too good at the moment probably. Lundberg putting up good numbers with limited playing time for CSKA, some other powerhouses would be in the game for him if CSKA wouldn't sign him long term. Green is supreme athlete, it would be huge. Cordinier looks like realistic options surely (France league's shooting is worrysome). I like that those pieces would bring more athleticism and instant scoring, ISO skills. Something what Lithuanians usually lack. We usually produce good system players, glue guys, but have been suffering the lack of pure offensive talent since some 2008.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

No flat out studs who would surely deliver at this level, I agree. Such would be some Sedekerskis who at the second phase of the season clearly showed that he's braking out and has tools to bring impact to the team. The same Brazdeikis is huuugeee question mark. But, again, let's not underrate what Velicka is bringing. 14,4pts, 5.7as in BBL. I have a feeling next season he has a good shot to exceed such players as Kariniauskas, Dimsa. Another wealthy off season and he might be more dominant and better player overall than my mentioned NT boderliners. This summer he stepped up developing wise and has been balling at really solid level all season as a 20/21yo. Taking him now would mean a little credit, but to me it's a nice gamble. We don't have Lith PGs with such upside every year to say the least, so Zalgiris shouldn't sleep if Jokubaitis out. Or grab him and loan him.
              Yeah, Sedekerskis no doubt would be an option. He is still not in radar for big guns, but if Dusko will remain in Baskonia, he will surely keep him as Tadas has contract till 2022 and obviously Dusko loves such hard workers, so no way to buy him out. Velicka could be an option only if Jokubaitis would leave. We might try to sign him, but I doubt he would agree on his own as he is seeking playing time. Nor he would like to be signed and loaned again. So hardly this summer

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
              I love these foreigners options. Even though Lundberg and Javonte sounds a bit too good at the moment probably. Lundberg putting up good numbers with limited playing time for CSKA, some other powerhouses would be in the game for him if CSKA wouldn't sign him long term. Green is supreme athlete, it would be huge. Cordinier looks like realistic options surely (France league's shooting is worrysome). I like that those pieces would bring more athleticism and instant scoring, ISO skills. Something what Lithuanians usually lack. We usually produce good system players, glue guys, but have been suffering the lack of pure offensive talent since some 2008.
              Lundberg and Javonte is a bit of long shot, no doubt, more like personal wish and profiles of players I would like to see especially since Lundberg is doing better now, they both could ask for some 600-700k, but Zalgiris still must get couple of more serious players at backcourt and not gamble too much with inexperienced guys. If some Zvezda managed to get Loyd for 450k. We might try smth too, chance to show off before making jump to bigger club, good organization might get us a discount. Such Mobley could be an option from bench to replace Vasturia, but for main PG/SG positions to replace Walkup/Grigonis must be spend bigger money. If we managed to sign Lauvergne, Rubit last summer, I think we can find a ways to get similar names to backcourt either, not complete rookies

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                Game tied and defensive type Rytas guard Bickauskis attacks Lekavicius in last attack. Even lkl teams attacking him. In close games in last 3 minutes Lukas cant be on the floor.

Coach must rotate his 18 energy minutes in such way that in last 3minutes he isnt playing too obviuos hole in defence.
                Funny thing is that when Lukas fouled with 20s to go, coach had an opportunity to switch to defensive lineup. But Schiller is not that kind of coach, has his limits.

Comment

• OK , i am sure i am being absolutely naive , but what about Kariniauskas ?
                  If some people are ok for Dimsa to come back , and apparent lack of Lithuanians able to join Zalgiris , that's the name could be considered?

Best summary I heard regarding Euroleague season ending in 17-17 - most people would had taken it before the year had started . Me too. Probably last game was the game that decided that for me to think that we did ok .

Very happy for Jankunas for extending his stay - 20 odd years not for the most talented guy of his generation , yet ... What a player and a legend.
                  Lets hope that Spanoulis will play for another year as well.

For this year , Shiller would get my most improved player award . I started the year absolutely disliking the guy , but somehow , somewhere , little by little i was won over.
                  And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

• Dimsa is in consideration only cause he has a contract for another season and he will be back to team's disposal no matter our wishes, only then Schiller will decide if we need him or maybe Dimsa himself once again will want to play elsewhere, chasing bigger minutes. Personally, I don't care too much in his case, someone will have to sit on the bench what so ever.
                    Kariniauskas gives me the same feelings. He might be tried, but I don't see him getting bigger minutes in EL, especially if both Jokubaitis and Lukas will stay, nor I'm sure he would want to sit on bench by himself

Comment

Kariniauskas gives me the same feelings. He might be tried, but I don't see him getting bigger minutes in EL, especially if both Jokubaitis and Lukas will stay, nor I'm sure he would want to sit on bench by himself
                      My thoughts too. I'd guess that Žalgiris would really have to come up with a big money offer to induce Vaidas Kariniauskas to leave a club where he's a starter and join a club where he might get mostly bench time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                        My thoughts too. I'd guess that Žalgiris would really have to come up with a big money offer to induce Vaidas Kariniauskas to leave a club where he's a starter and join a club where he might get mostly bench time.

Yeah, some 400k and they might have a talk with him. That's with the strong condition that Utena's club wouldn't offer more.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Hepcat View Post

Not exactly I believe Zalgiris won't try too hard, if they will at all. It's more like Zalgiris and opportunity to play in big organisation and EL, but in reality play little vs some good average level foreign club or maybe some richer local club like Rytas, but play important role, all options for more or less the same money. Kariniauskas still has a deal with Juventus, but his agent for sure secured a buy out clause there, and not a big one. I guess Kariniauskas might get now some 60-70k and could expect some 100+ k for next season. Too high for Juve, but not for other options I mentioned

Comment

Yeah, some 400k and they might have a talk with him. That's with the strong condition that Utena's club wouldn't offer more.
                            Ffs man, nearly choked on my drink. I got a bit angry with this. Good one, i will give you that .
                            But also ... Sabeckis was signed with less credits to his game , so...
                            Also, with Lukas and Rokas staying I don't see the need for Zalgiris to consider him.
                            But if and or when Zalgiris decides to save money ,here we go .
                            Lets not forget about Lundberg - just some guy chilling in VTB i have never heard about before, playing few decent games in Euros , and suddenly he gets sign by CSKA.
                            Similar age and circumstances , shit happens .
                            Last edited by auris1; 04-19-2021, 01:09 AM.
                            And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

• Originally posted by auris1 View Post
                              Ffs man, nearly choked on my drink. I got a bit angry with this. Good one, i will give you that .
                              But also ... Sabeckis was signed with less credits to his game , so...
                              Also, with Lukas and Rokas staying I don't see the need for Zalgiris to consider him.
                              But if and or when Zalgiris decides to save money ,here we go .
                              Lets not forget about Lundberg - just some guy chilling in VTB i have never heard about before, playing few decent games in Euros , and suddenly he gets sign by CSKA.
                              Similar age and circumstances , shit happens .
                              Yeah, I remember that he's your guy. You were high on both him and Dimsa (Sedekerskis prevailing though). Kariniauskas is pretty good, but nevertheless I doubt he would have much success in EL. If there will be some room, why not to try him, but I'm not holding my breath.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Any thoughts on Jerian Grant?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information