Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Thirdy Ravena San-En Neophoenix

i mean deviation and making reads is common in nba, but im sure not in euroleague or for a euro coach haha. just in their 1st game/win against shimane with around ~20, the broadcaster anthony suntay was puzzled why they didnt take the shot immediately (ala nba) whereas they the play to the T and got the bailout call, but it was a play to nowhere haha.

although the benching in the 3rd could also be to save up energy, i.e. i wouldnt know kitagawa of shimane is the closer/deemed best swingman judging why he wasnt playing much, eye test shows thirdy plays individualistic too much for the euro coach's taste haha.

but yes, good to know he has camaraderie with his teammates already that suzuki passed to him, although not the best passing lane at the time if i remember correctly

Quote Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
    I agree. Sinabon si Thirdy after that play I believe, and Thirdy just ignored coach. I think it's part of the reason he was benched the entire 3rd qtr, head down si Thirdy nun eh. Then when he came to play, his body language wasn't that great. Suzuki passed to him after that steal early in the 4th to lift his spirits I guess; Thirdy will just have to learn how to deal with hotheaded Euro coaches with short leashes.
    Yup he didn’t really get involved in the offense and then when he got the ball in the past possession for the 2nd quarter he decided to iso and do a step back jumper for some reason. I wasn’t suprised he got benched

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    Yup he didn’t really get involved in the offense and then when he got the ball in the past possession for the 2nd quarter he decided to iso and do a step back jumper for some reason. I wasn’t suprised he got benched
    Naku if ever he will go to PBA and under NLEX's Yeng Guiao baka malamang panay mura aabutin ni Thirdy from Yeng.. Yeng doesn't like players who are "pabebe" and mahina ang loob..

Quote Originally Posted by sajubeads View Post
    In fairness naman, Castro and Junmar received feelers from CBA teams but they chose PBA... Sayang lang they could have opened doors for other Pinoy in CBA...
    Point is Asian import level is not enticing enough to top PBA long term contract, but if we're talking the NBA where Rui and Watanabe play it is
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Thirdy =Gabe 2.0 wing defender and slasher.
    Can switch 1,2,3 (90%of SF are 6'6 below)
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Thirdy is still a bit gunshy.

The team in general isn't very good. The imports are very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Thirdy is still a bit gunshy.

The team in general isn't very good. The imports are very limited.
    Hunt has no perimeter game while Jelovac is like a less physical Mick Pennisi - both have very limited offensive abilities. Jelovac is also a terrible defender.

The system doesn't fit well on Thirdy based on my initial observation. Don't you think it is a better choice if Thirdy accepted the offer from either Ryukyu or Toyota Alvark instead?
    “Nag-a-adjust pa rin si Roosevelt Adams sa sistema ng basketball sa PBA, yung physicality. Siguro kailangan magpalapad siya. Minsan nahihiya pang tumira, e.” - John Cardel

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Hunt has no perimeter game while Jelovac is like a less physical Mick Pennisi - both have very limited offensive abilities. Jelovac is also a terrible defender.

The system doesn't fit well on Thirdy based on my initial observation. Don't you think it is a better choice if Thirdy accepted the offer from either Ryukyu or Toyota Alvark instead?
    maybe he wants challenges that’s why he picks san-en..

I dont know about the others but he has a big role with this team. He is their best perimeter defender and 3rd best player. The holes in his game are evident. But he has the playing time to work through them. He just has to be more efficient in scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    I dont know about the others but he has a big role with this team. He is their best perimeter defender and 3rd best player. The holes in his game are evident. But he has the playing time to work through them. He just has to be more efficient in scoring.
    his offensive game will come once familiarity with players and with the serbian coach.. effects of 8 months of no basketball. you may be in tip top condition body wise but if you play basketball you will get tired.. i remember blatche who has no basketball games for months but he works out he was in good shape as possible but when game time comes, his game is not there and he was gassed as well..

good thing about yesterday’s game is thirdy made it up in defending the 6’6 buford plus rotating defensively.. good rebounding game as well with 8

Jelovac is their best scorer though. He's also a heads up player who usually makes the best decision on the fly.

Like I said before, Euro offense stifles natural Filipino creativity. It's why the bara bara system worked so good for us while other coaches criticized it and called it "not the way to play basketball". I guess we'll see in future games, but Thirdy has to get his jumper back first. When he does, the offense will open up regardless of the limitations on it. I also want Thirdy to cut more but I guess it's not part of the strategy, there were so many times I wanted Thirdy to just cut behind his man down the baseline.

Remember last possession last game where San-en stole a win because of a bailout foul on Kawashima? I was so stunned that the team would choose to run a set play in 15 seconds rather than just giving it to their best iso player and moving out of the way.

I guess Thirdy likes challenges which is why he didn't pick Ryukyu and Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
    Jelovac is their best scorer though. He's also a heads up player who usually makes the best decision on the fly.

Like I said before, Euro offense stifles natural Filipino creativity. It's why the bara bara system worked so good for us while other coaches criticized it and called it "not the way to play basketball". I guess we'll see in future games, but Thirdy has to get his jumper back first. When he does, the offense will open up regardless of the limitations on it. I also want Thirdy to cut more but I guess it's not part of the strategy, there were so many times I wanted Thirdy to just cut behind his man down the baseline.

Remember last possession last game where San-en stole a win because of a bailout foul on Kawashima? I was so stunned that the team would choose to run a set play in 15 seconds rather than just giving it to their best iso player and moving out of the way.

I guess Thirdy likes challenges which is why he didn't pick Ryukyu and Tokyo.
    stepping stone for Thirdy to play in Euroleague? he was advised by Tab to be coached by Branislav? it's good for Thirdy to be 'one of the guys' for now

Overall, the imports are so so. Same observations on the San en imports. As a team, parang walang intensyong tumakbo. Too methodical. Coach should try and capitalize on Thirdy’s strength—the open court, running game.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

True. Hunt is an old school big ahile the Euro guy is kinda soft and terrible on defense. Well both are kinda bad of D but Jelovac doesn't even bother. The PGs are kinda short. They also keep on turning the ball over during inbound situations and can't break the press..

While they're trying to manage Thirdy's minutes I think the coach also doesn't want him to freelance which hurts him. But at lesst he gets a ton of PT. Not sure of the other teams who have better records could offer that.

BTW there are 2 kiwi head coaches in Japan
    Henare (Nenad's successor ) and Nenad ( Tab's successor)

Which brings me to a point, why do Japanese who are very nationalistic have no problem with foreign coaches and players?

In fact this is a country that has US military bases ( there attitude is like sige give us the rent business, we're taking advantage of the US not the other way around) lol

I can see the way the teams play the Japanese are very experimental and the focus of the bleague isn’t just japan but to become a popular league throughout Asia which in my opinion is smart as wider audience more revenue and getting a popular player from a basketball crazy country like Philippines is a good step. I think San en compared to the bigger teams is a better fit, less expectations and it’s not like they are winning a lot anyways. I compare to the other Asian import who hasn’t seen success despite developing in Spain and community college in USA and Thirdy has less pressure to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    BTW there are 2 kiwi head coaches in Japan
    Henare (Nenad's successor ) and Nenad ( Tab's successor)

Which brings me to a point, why do Japanese who are very nationalistic have no problem with foreign coaches and players?

In fact this is a country that has US military bases ( there attitude is like sige give us the rent business, we're taking advantage of the US not the other way around) lol
    Wow.. So Tab has his disciples all over in Asia.. He has also Dickel and Topex here.. His influence all over in Asia is big,.. but our BCAP sees Tab as enemy not a friend..

There are 5 teams that are tough match-up for San-en.

East No. 1 Utsunomiya Brex (11-1)
    East No. 4 Toyota Alvark (8-4)
    East No. 5 Kawasaki Brave Thunders (8-4)

West No. 1 Ryukyu Golden Kings (10-2)
    West No. 2 Mikawa Seahorses (10-2)

Utsunomiya Brex features NT mainstays Makoto Hiejima and Kosuke Takeuchi with a future NT prospect Kai Toews.

Alvark Tokyo features NT members Seiya Ando, Daiki Tanaka, and Joji Takeuchi.

Kawasaki Brave Thunders is featuring NT players Ryusei Shinoyama, Naoto Tsuji, and Nick Fazekas.

Mikawa Seahorses features NT members Kosuke Kanamaru, Avi Schafer and Takuya Kawamura.

Thirdy will face Alvark Tokyo first in Nov. 14 and 15.

Then, Ryukyu Golden Kings in Jan. 30 and 31 and March 31.

Afterwards, Utsunomiya Brex in March 27 and 28

Kawasaki Brave Thunders in April 2 and 4

Mikawa Seahorses in April 30 and May 2.
    Last edited by Jackie Reaper; 11-09-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Thirdy might share minutes with Daiki Tanaka and Shohei Kikuchi at Alvark.. at Ryuku they have German div. 2 veteran Takumi Ishizaki and Keita Imamura

Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast