Resume the Euroleage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume the Euroleage

Your opinion about the chance that the EL will resume?

you can write more options here
    Full schedule in July
    0%
    Only top 8 as now
    0%
    T-8+ Few games to decuded 3 more teams
    0%
    Delete
    0%
    2022/2023:
    PG: Brown, D-BA, Ziv
    SG: Baldwin, Hollins
    SF: Hillard, Pnini, Menco
    PF: Martin, Colson, Cohen
    PF: Nebo, Poyters, Sorkin

Yes, I'm bored. I want to watch games.

Comment

Originally posted by Oly_fan View Post
      Yes, I'm bored. I want to watch games.
      Agree. Does your team want to resume?
      2022/2023:

Comment

https://www.basketnews.lt/news-13927...zduojamas.html
        Interesting article in Lithuanian on the subject (use google translate...)
        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
          https://www.basketnews.lt/news-13927...zduojamas.html
          Interesting article in Lithuanian on the subject (use google translate...)
          I've read it on the twitter. I think he is wrong. Only the 11 A teams license will vote. 5-5 +Jordi voice, or 6-5 in favor, will be enough to resume.
          Maybe Ljubljana will host it
          2022/2023:

Comment

First of all, if they resume EL now, when the virus is much more spread, their initial decision to suspend the tournaments seems unnecessary/wrong. Our desire to watch bball is irrelevant. Objectively, the danger for players to get infected is greater now.
            The other thing is the fact that teams won't be the same as before. A lot of players know that they (practically) don't belong to their teams any more (e.g. Calathes). The same stands for some coaches too. Playing the game could not be just a formal obligation forced by contract.
            The lock down can come back in a month from now if the stats of infected/dead grow up again (very probable). What then?

Comment

Would love to see games but it got more and more senseless. Everyone who does amateur sports feels how his body is weaker than before restrictions, I think that professionals will need half a year to come back at 80% of their possibilities. And that's without the aspect of potential infections. The thing that hurts most is that we have to wait another 5 months before competitions could start again for next season. Really hard times for basketball fanatics.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy M View Post
                Agree. Does your team want to resume?
                Yes, the greek players have been practicing for about a week now.

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
                Everyone who does amateur sports feels how his body is weaker than before restrictions, I think that professionals will need half a year to come back at 80% of their possibilities.
                How is this different than any other off-season?

Originally posted by Adon
                First of all, if they resume EL now, when the virus is much more spread, their initial decision to suspend the tournaments seems unnecessary/wrong. Our desire to watch bball is irrelevant. Objectively, the danger for players to get infected is greater now.
                The initial decision was in line with the european governments' decisions that followed and necessary to halt the spread.
                Back then we didn't even have tests to check people with, we didn't have masks and sanitizers or even hospital beds and ventilators.
                I saw that the euroleague plan is to have teams transfer to a safe location, quarantine for 2 weeks and proceed with a short pre-season before playing in July in empty stadiums. That doesn't seem risky and it's certainly less risky than your average person's trip to the supermarket.

Of course if they do try to restart the season but by June all hell breaks loose, then they'd have to suspend the season permanently but based on what we know now, there is little reason not to try.

Comment

I've read it on the twitter. I think he is wrong. Only the 11 A teams license will vote. 5-5 +Jordi voice, or 6-5 in favor, will be enough to resume.
                  Maybe Ljubljana will host it
                  I am surprised that so many teams would be against it, as he says.

Afterall, playing the rest of the euroleague season is vital for Bertomeu and development of the league. Considering that so many sport competitions have been canceled it could net some € to TV stations and lots of exposure to euroleague. Even while being overshadowed by NBA, as ussual. Those TV stations would feel far more secure when signing the next contracts etc.

I understand that clubs would have enormous troubles getting their US players back to europe, as well as the fact that financial burden would fall from euroleague on their backs. However they're in the same sh*t together. And ending the season with worse result than some big time spenders imagined they would, before the season came to a halt, is still a small price, compared to what euroleague benefits as a whole.
                  Potential savings from those salaries, which teams would have to pay to their players in case the season gets prolongued to july (as well as that 80% to 85%), could as well be smaller than the income the euroleague might miss within the next few years in case they don't finish the season. As weird as that season would be...

I would hope that I missed something within this story and that it wouldn't really be that simple... but than again, with the brilliance of economics expertise european basketball has shown in the past few decades (just in case; yes, it's cynism), I wouldn't be surprised if they will somehow end up trying to reinvent the capitalism as a whole in an attempt for a miraculous solution.

But yeah, the above is purely from a financial point of view. I don't think playing out the rest of the season right now, would really make the initial lock of the season seem wrong. But I agree with you on the rest, Adon.
                  Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                  That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Yes, the greek players have been practicing for about a week now.

How is this different than any other off-season?

The initial decision was in line with the european governments' decisions that followed and necessary to halt the spread.
                    Back then we didn't even have tests to check people with, we didn't have masks and sanitizers or even hospital beds and ventilators.
                    I saw that the euroleague plan is to have teams transfer to a safe location, quarantine for 2 weeks and proceed with a short pre-season before playing in July in empty stadiums. That doesn't seem risky and it's certainly less risky than your average person's trip to the supermarket.

Of course if they do try to restart the season but by June all hell breaks loose, then they'd have to suspend the season permanently but based on what we know now, there is little reason not to try.
                    A lot of differences in my opionion, major difference is that between two seasons you have 4 months time to prepare and not 4 weeks. I think a pretty significant difference, not speaking about friendly games for set piece coaching, scheduled interval trainings and muscle building, individual shooting form etc. Now you have to stick your ass together to simply not injure. Significant is to mention that athletes in most cases have 2-3 weeks of holidays and then workout to prepare, now everything stands for 2 1/2 months. You cannot make push ups in your living room or garage and compare this with serious training.

Comment

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/eurolea...ox=1590229750a

Shane Larkin wants to play and resume the EL
                      2022/2023:

Comment

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/eurolea...ox=1590229750a

Shane Larkin wants to play and resume the EL
                        Actually, he said quite the opposite

Those precautions seem to be good. Unrealistic but good.

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                        ... but than again, with the brilliance of economics expertise european basketball has shown in the past few decades (just in case; yes, it's cynism), I wouldn't be surprised if they will somehow end up trying to reinvent the capitalism as a whole in an attempt for a miraculous solution.
                        My thoughts, exactly

Comment

We must continue with the life. Corona will be an issue for many years in our life. We must of course take precautions but life must go on. 40k people die each year in Germany. Corona 8000 so far. The average age is around 80. If you are healthy there is no need to be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                            We must continue with the life. Corona will be an issue for many years in our life. We must of course take precautions but life must go on. 40k people die each year in Germany. Corona 8000 so far. The average age is around 80. If you are healthy there is no need to be afraid.
                            Right. If the NBA can be resume, with this situation, we can play in Europe
                            2022/2023:

Comment

Precautions must be taken but life goes on. Players are high payed people and they should among other things take the risk.

I am payed much less then them but I worked the whole time during this crisis.
                              I am sure many of you worked and risked your health and now we should cry because some basketball player will have to take risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information