EuroCup teams defecting to FIBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EuroCup teams defecting to FIBA

Darussafaka recently announced that they will play in the Basketball Champions League from next season. They cited financial reasons in addition to it being a sporting decision. Obviously the scheduling of the Bologna game in Belgrade was a big part in their decision too.

Rytas have also confirmed that they will join the BCL. They listed the same reasons as Dacka for defecting. Lietkabelis are hoping to replace them in EuroCup.

Bilbao committed too.

FIBA are also trying to convince Galatasaray and have invited Partizan, Cedevita Olimpija and Buducnost as well.

I think as Sportando noted, Partizan seem unlikely to accept this invitation at this stage but these are quite significant moves FIBA are making. All these teams have a history of playing in ECA competitions and you have to wonder what this means for the future of the EuroCup. If the rich Russian teams like Loko and UNICS and/or the Spanish teams ever give up on the golden ticket of a Euroleague place, this competition is in serious trouble.

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
    Darussafaka recently announced that they will play in the Basketball Champions League from next season. They cited financial reasons in addition to it being a sporting decision. Obviously the scheduling of the Bologna game in Belgrade was a big part in their decision too.

Rytas have also confirmed that they will join the BCL. They listed the same reasons as Dacka for defecting. Lietkabelis are hoping to replace them in EuroCup.

Bilbao committed too.

FIBA are also trying to convince Galatasaray and have invited Partizan, Cedevita Olimpija and Buducnost as well.

I think as Sportando noted, Partizan seem unlikely to accept this invitation at this stage but these are quite significant moves FIBA are making. All these teams have a history of playing in ECA competitions and you have to wonder what this means for the future of the EuroCup. If the rich Russian teams like Loko and UNICS and/or the Spanish teams ever give up on the golden ticket of a Euroleague place, this competition is in serious trouble.
    Wow...That's interesting stuff......

Partizan looking like they're headed to the Turkish Airlines League next year.....To see them in the BCL instead would be crazy...

Comment

Fiba will pay crazy money for its participants. You can get up to 1,5 million euros depending on your ranking in the domestic league aaaand Dacka was angry on Eurocup officials for letting them playing in Serbia instead of Germany against Bologna.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman365 View Post

Partizan looking like they're headed to the Turkish Airlines League next year.....To see them in the BCL instead would be crazy...
        Yeah, I don't think Partizan are expected to accept the offer but it shows FIBA's ambitions.

Gman, do you watch many BCL games?

Comment

Absolutely impossible. Don't get me wrong, I would wish Partizan to play BCL against BC Vaduz and Partizani Tirana but unfortunately they will stay with ULEB.

Comment

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
            Absolutely impossible. Don't get me wrong, I would wish Partizan to play BCL against BC Vaduz and Partizani Tirana but unfortunately they will stay with ULEB.

Here here! Partizan won't play against some Anwil Włocławek, that would be ridiculous, they will play against Arka Gdynia
            The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

Never heard of these teams in BCL. Its more like Brose Bamberg, AEK Athens and Bandirma.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                Never heard of these teams in BCL. Its more like Brose Bamberg, AEK Athens and Bandirma.
                Great. Brose lost it's main sponsor last week and will fight for it's license more than in great BCL, AEK is literally a shadow of itself and Bandirma is mainly known because of you outside Turkey.

FIBA messed it up and FIBA is responsible for all this mess because of their license selling to ULEB 20 years ago. Whether people like it or not, Euroleague is a different parallel advanced universe for FIBA and it will stay like this forever. It should be forbidden by decrete that FIBA hosts any kind of important tournaments. I am no fan of this situation like it is right now but speaking about my club I 100% chose Eurocup over BCL and I think that 100% of responsible fans of other teams will agree.

Comment

Originally posted by LuDux View Post
                  Here here! Partizan won't play against some Anwil Włocławek, that would be ridiculous, they will play against Arka Gdynia
                  I told you before, my friend, I would personally congratulate all my friends that are Partizan fans for participating. It would be too much to tell it is a wish, but if I would decide, they would play it from tomorrow.

Comment

Great. Brose lost it's main sponsor last week and will fight for it's license more than in great BCL, AEK is literally a shadow of itself and Bandirma is mainly known because of you outside Turkey.

FIBA messed it up and FIBA is responsible for all this mess because of their license selling to ULEB 20 years ago. Whether people like it or not, Euroleague is a different parallel advanced universe for FIBA and it will stay like this forever. It should be forbidden by decrete that FIBA hosts any kind of important tournaments. I am no fan of this situation like it is right now but speaking about my club I 100% chose Eurocup over BCL and I think that 100% of responsible fans of other teams will agree.
                    The BCL is definitely attracting decent clubs and diluting the overall quality of the EuroCup. None of these teams would have been defecting if it was still the EuroChallenge.

Comment

The BCL is definitely attracting decent clubs and diluting the overall quality of the EuroCup. None of these teams would have been defecting if it was still the EuroChallenge.
                      Generally the quality of European club's basketball is heavily declining. Of course, here the responsibility can be given to ULEB with this A license criteria, it can be given to many young players leaving for NBA and it can be given to an overall lowering of financial possibilities of mid-tear clubs. Compared to the 90s the situation is really bad.

The Eurocup as a Eurocup was this year maybe the weakest Eurocup in it's history. Just compare the team's rosters now and 5 years ago. It's not even worth thinking about it. I mean, Partizan was the best team this year, what are we even speaking about? There were some good games, but quality was pretty bad. And for BCL? What's the target? Taking mid-tear teams to their main competition to do what? Weaken EL? Weaken ULEB? How? ULEB is financially save compared to FIBA. It guarantee's at least some kind of rewards and professional advance of basketball in Europe.

In an ideal world it would be like under UEFA's radar but people forgot the responsibility of FIBA in this mess and now that ULEB developed something and started at least TRYING to make SOME KIND OF money out of it - they want it back? Okay, but bankrupt clubs from Germany and Bilbao won't help in this fight. Ideal solution would be arrangement between FIBA and ULEB - often spoken about, not possible to arrange. So this status quo will be stay the same. And I am pretty sure that BCL will take long long time to reach EC level even in this year's quality.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think Partizan are expected to accept the offer but it shows FIBA's ambitions.

Gman, do you watch many BCL games?
                        I did at one time....Especially during their inaugural season......Was actually a pretty fun league....

I remember one game specifically when ČEZ Nymburk played the Helios Suns in Slovenia.....The Suns had three 17 year old players getting significant playing time and that team was just very very weak in general......Was such a soft spread that ČEZ Nymburk just basically had to win the game......Was an easy win.

I might follow it again at some point...We'll see....

Comment

Generally the quality of European club's basketball is heavily declining. Of course, here the responsibility can be given to ULEB with this A license criteria, it can be given to many young players leaving for NBA and it can be given to an overall lowering of financial possibilities of mid-tear clubs. Compared to the 90s the situation is really bad.

The Eurocup as a Eurocup was this year maybe the weakest Eurocup in it's history. Just compare the team's rosters now and 5 years ago. It's not even worth thinking about it. I mean, Partizan was the best team this year, what are we even speaking about? There were some good games, but quality was pretty bad. And for BCL? What's the target? Taking mid-tear teams to their main competition to do what? Weaken EL? Weaken ULEB? How? ULEB is financially save compared to FIBA. It guarantee's at least some kind of rewards and professional advance of basketball in Europe.

In an ideal world it would be like under UEFA's radar but people forgot the responsibility of FIBA in this mess and now that ULEB developed something and started at least TRYING to make SOME KIND OF money out of it - they want it back? Okay, but bankrupt clubs from Germany and Bilbao won't help in this fight. Ideal solution would be arrangement between FIBA and ULEB - often spoken about, not possible to arrange. So this status quo will be stay the same. And I am pretty sure that BCL will take long long time to reach EC level even in this year's quality.
                          I'm no fan of FIBA either but it says something that these teams see that they are better off financially in the BCL. And haven't the A-Licenses been a huge factor in diminishing domestic leagues and hurting those mid tier teams?

I agree that Partizan was the best team. Bologna underachieved quite dramatically considering their roster and other teams like Loko did too.

Comment

I did at one time....Especially during their inaugural season......Was actually a pretty fun league....

I remember one game specifically when ČEZ Nymburk played the Helios Suns in Slovenia.....The Suns had three 17 year old players getting significant playing time and that team was just very very weak in general......Was such a soft spread that ČEZ Nymburk just basically had to win the game......Was an easy win.

I might follow it again at some point...We'll see....
                            There's so many Euroleague games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on the double game weeks in addition to the weekly Eurocup games, so there's always a lot of other options on at the same time as the BCL.

Comment

I'm no fan of FIBA either but it says something that these teams see that they are better off financially in the BCL. And haven't the A-Licenses been a huge factor in diminishing domestic leagues and hurting those mid tier teams?

I agree that Partizan was the best team. Bologna underachieved quite dramatically considering their roster and other teams like Loko did too.
                              There would be a lot to say on this issue. As written above I agree that closing EL was a bad move but by following this issue from the very beginning and the legendary season with two parallel Euroleagues/Suproleagues and especially watching how FIBA tried to manouvre themselves back into the spotlight in the last 3-4 years I hate myself for saying that I wish that Jordi Bartomeu stays on top for many years in organizing top European basketball. For myself I think that it is impossible to make a competition construct like in football where teams from all countries participate and to be financially solid in European basketball.

It's a mixture of many ingredients that shows all weaknesses and painpoints of European basketball in general at the moment but thinking that Bilbao and financially broken Bamberg will lead to some kind of revolution in competition structure of BCL in comparison to EC (not to speak EL, this would be really not normal) is simply a short term strategy without any outcome. I understand Darussafaka's angryness, Rytas' issues are a little overreaction, but well, also understandable, but I am quite sure that both of them will come back under ULEB's radar in a maximum of 2 years. It's simply - by far - a worse competition. It affects so many things, TV money, sponsors, reputation (for free agents), interest of public and fans. I remember when one Serbian team played this FIBA CL people hardly knew when they are playing and we are really crazy for basketball here.

I always said that incorporation of ULEB into FIBA in Europe would be the best solution to both and for national federations and national teams but FIBA behaves like a drunken dictator that lost all support but thinks he rules the country.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information