This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The COVID-19 Updates

Created a thread for the global pandemic so as not to overlap in the basketball threads.

We have members from others parts of the globe. You can post updates on your region. As well as those based in the Philippines, to post relevant news, updates in your respective regions.

Be safe everyone.

The coronavirus could kill up to 81,000 people in the US in the next four months.

Comment

Been locked down here in Cavite for 2 weeks now. And there's a covid19 victim just to the other block of our street. A senior male with travel history. Apparently, his last trip was from Australia. As of now, we have no idea regarding his status.

Our area has also been pretty quiet as well. And it's a ghost town here just like everywhere.
      Last edited by Anonymous123; 03-27-2020, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Since some of you may be in some areas outside of metro manila , there are actually some measures you can explore with your local gov't officialls that can make a huge difference to your local area.
        t
        The mistake manny have made is assume that since Wuhan / Hubei locked down or Metro Manila has locked down , the chances of it spreading to your local area is unlikely... that is a dead wrong assumption . in fact your one chance of doing anything that is tangible to slow it down , is when things are still small and managable.

So for example in the case above of the PUI from travel history to Australia , can you ensure that everyone who has been in contact with that individual is in strict isolation (literraly confined to house only) , let people volumary bring them food.. while that mind sound extreme , it is still within the relm of possibility to do as compared to when it spreads ... In Metro manila for example , there is really very little we as oridinary citizens or local and govt officials can do to limit spread..

the same principle can also apply to any location that has a reasonble border control , like say subdivisions.. litterally you isolate the whole subdivision.. of any entry and exit and all essential delivery of food and products is delivered into the subdivision. make sure if anyone is sick has symtpoms to physically isolate them.. (this literally means outside of their household members..) so designate seperate homes (for those with symtoms)
        NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
        https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

Originally posted by analyzed View Post
          Since some of you may be in some areas outside of metro manila , there are actually some measures you can explore with your local gov't officialls that can make a huge difference to your local area.
          t
          The mistake manny have made is assume that since Wuhan / Hubei locked down or Metro Manila has locked down , the chances of it spreading to your local area is unlikely... that is a dead wrong assumption . in fact your one chance of doing anything that is tangible to slow it down , is when things are still small and managable.

So for example in the case above of the PUI from travel history to Australia , can you ensure that everyone who has been in contact with that individual is in strict isolation (literraly confined to house only) , let people volumary bring them food.. while that mind sound extreme , it is still within the relm of possibility to do as compared to when it spreads ... In Metro manila for example , there is really very little we as oridinary citizens or local and govt officials can do to limit spread..
          Surprisingly, I was one of the many people who went back to his hometown because of this outbreak. In fact, i was living alone in QC for nearly a month before this outbreak. Luckily, I don't feel anything at all. And it's been over 2 weeks now.

Btw, I don't know the individual personally.
          Last edited by Anonymous123; 03-27-2020, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous123 View Post
            Surprisingly, I was one of the many people who went back to his hometown because of this outbreak. In fact, i was living alone in QC for nearly a month before this outbreak. Luckily, I don't feel anything at all. And it's been over 2 weeks now.
            good decision.. see what your local area can do , to litterally lock down your area and segretate those physically with symtoms

the main difference between China response and Italy is the ones sick and positive in Italy were sent to any available hospital even outside of location, as such spreading the virus , In China the health workers went to wuhan, and the hospitals were exclusive for Covit 19 only. if you cannot segrate physically the affected with the not , its actually counter productive

As a Dr in Manila said , sending in health workers to some of the hospitals in Manila was actually counter productive as the health worker became carriers that went out to the community in breaks..
            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

Originally posted by analyzed View Post
              good decision.. see what your local area can do , to litterally lock down your area and segretate those physically with symtoms

the main difference between China response and Italy is the ones sick and positive in Italy were sent to any available hospital even outside of location, as such spreading the virus , In China the health workers went to wuhan, and the hospitals were exclusive for Covit 19 only. if you cannot segrate physically the affected with the not , its actually counter productive

As a Dr in Manila said , sending in health workers to some of the hospitals in Manila was actually counter productive as the health worker became carriers that went out to the community in breaks..
              You have a point because it will only spread the virus. Same thing with the testing system. I remember a couple of days ago hearing...the more test they do the more cases they get, so basically, they are only spreading the virus. Who knows how cautious these people are in handling the test kits and what not. They could be spreading virus without them even realizing. And honestly, I don't think anyone really knows what they are doing. In the PH, we already have 9 doctors dead because of this virus.

And I know a lot of you have probably thought this but this is much like a real life nightmare.
              Last edited by Anonymous123; 03-27-2020, 03:18 AM.

Comment

574 cases already here in Victoria. A lot of people still jogging/ walking their dogs/babies outside despite the the plea from the government to stay indoors. SMH

Comment

Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                  574 cases already here in Victoria. A lot of people still jogging/ walking their dogs/babies outside despite the the plea from the government to stay indoors. SMH
                  Is that in the Philippines?

Comment

Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                    VICTORIA, Australia or Canada? Australia figure of 2.5k positive is quite understandable when they've done over 200k test already.. Their positive rate is just 2%

Comment

The WHO bungled this from the beginning. The reason why people didn't take the virus seriously. It took a long time for them to admit that human to human transmission is very likely even if by late December, this is what Chinese scientists have suspected.

From what I can surmised from the peek in Italy and Spain, February was start of the explosive contagion - the same month the WHO head, Tedros Gebhreyesus said that travel restrictions is "not needed". Then there are those who peddled that this is mild and flu kills more people yearly. Guess what, seasonal flu hardly sends healthcare to it breaking point unlike this virus. He seemed more concerned about the feelings of Beijing than the safety of all humans. But don't be surprised. Back in 2017, Tedros was accused of covering up for the cholera outbreak in Sudan and Ethiopia.

It seems that the lockdown of Wuhan/Hubei was not a clue to them as to how contagious and bad this virus is.

Look at where it got us. Many countries have to practically shut down their economy just to contain the spread and flatten the curve as to not break healthcare services.

I feel that it would have been different if the WHO erred in the safe side by advising against non-essential travel and stricter measures. It would not prevent the spread but it would not be this exponential either.

The first SARS was taken very seriously by the world. Hence, the spread was not exponential.

It's like we're in a bizarre apocalyptic world.

Comment

We just had our first death here in Orange County, CA but cases are rising exponentially. Just goes to show how contagious this really is but we still see a lot of people going to beaches despite advisories by our local government.

I really was excited to fly over to wherever my school was gonna play if ever they got in the NCAA tournament. I was really looking to experience March Madness first-hand but thanks CoronaVirus.

Comment

Originally posted by Petertheanteater View Post
                          We just had our first death here in Orange County, CA but cases are rising exponentially. Just goes to show how contagious this really is but we still see a lot of people going to beaches despite advisories by our local government.
                          I live in California, too but what the heck. It's no wonder 50% of cases are between 18-40.

We have a popular beach nearby but they've implement parking restrictions and started patrolling the beaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Artek View Post
                            The WHO bungled this from the beginning. The reason why people didn't take the virus seriously. It took a long time for them to admit that human to human transmission is very likely even if by late December, this is what Chinese scientists have suspected.

From what I can surmised from the peek in Italy and Spain, February was start of the explosive contagion - the same month the WHO head, Tedros Gebhreyesus said that travel restrictions is "not needed". Then there are those who peddled that this is mild and flu kills more people yearly. Guess what, seasonal flu hardly sends healthcare to it breaking point unlike this virus. He seemed more concerned about the feelings of Beijing than the safety of all humans. But don't be surprised. Back in 2017, Tedros was accused of covering up for the cholera outbreak in Sudan and Ethiopia.

It seems that the lockdown of Wuhan/Hubei was not a clue to them as to how contagious and bad this virus is.

Look at where it got us. Many countries have to practically shut down their economy just to contain the spread and flatten the curve as to not break healthcare services.

I feel that it would have been different if the WHO erred in the safe side by advising against non-essential travel and stricter measures. It would not prevent the spread but it would not be this exponential either.

The first SARS was taken very seriously by the world. Hence, the spread was not exponential.

It's like we're in a bizarre apocalyptic world.
                            Probably the WHO thought the virus would not be that contagious, hence, the worldwide ugly result. And just like with anything, we learn through our experiences and mistakes.

Now, the best we can do is lock ourselves at home till the virus ceases. As long as there are stubborn people, this will never stop.

Our safety is basically now in our own hands. Not from our governments nor our loved ones.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information