Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 433

Thread: The COVID-19 Updates

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,438
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    Would be interesting to know what Thailand (one of countries hardest hit early and similar to Philippines size wise) is doing well, 6 deaths compared to Philippines 68
    Could be a case of underreporting?

    Recent article

    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.forb...challenge/amp/

    By now, everyone has heard the phrase “flattening the curve.” What does the curve look like in Thailand?

    We are at a junction, and it can go either way. The doubling of cases went from ten days to five days, and yesterday it hit three days. If we double every two days, we will face the same crisis as the U.S. Social distancing and quarantine are critical. But Thai has no word and no concept of social distance. These are new rhythms we all have to learn, a new normal. Some apps for medical staff we are adapting for the general public, like guidance and tracking on handwashing, social distance, quarantine.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    137
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Recent numbers have Philippines at 6% mortality rate while Italy is at 10.8%.

    People are beginning to question such high number of deaths there were suggestions already to put cctv cams on ICUs. I myself feel this is no longer attributable to Italy having an old populace. If you consider the measly 400plus deaths of Germany out of around 57,000 cases, you can’t help but ask what your medics have been doing wrong. Current numbers for Italy is 92,000 cases with 10,000 deaths.
    Looks like it shifted a bit. Last week it was around 9% I think.

    That said, it is still higher than the world average or even the US average which is like 2%, IIRC

  3. #63
    Senior Member ja.he's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3,164
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Would serve another useful purpose, which is to protect themselves against looters. In Sta. Quiteria where my wife’s relatives reside, there were already attempts to break into houses during the wee hours of the night. People should be vigilant and prepared. Dumarami kalaban.
    I am from Sta. Quiteria too. Hehe

    I heard that also. That's the reason why tanods here are now roaming everynight just to ensure no one is outside.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    137
    Country: United States

    Default

    I'd like to add that the "1%" death rate peddled before was a huge understatement and I believe was based on the Chinese data, which honestly, we should always take with a grain of salt. The Chinese government almost always try to "look good" by bending facts.

    Many naysayers a few months ago also said that a 1% death rate is small and more people die of seasonal flu. The death rate of seasonal flu is like 0.1% and the flu season do not send healthcare to its breaking point and does not even warrant lock downs.

    So yeah, as I said in an earlier posts, the wrong message were being sent from the beginning especially by the WHO so people underestimated this virus.

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    137
    Country: United States

    Default

    Good thing Baguio City was pro-active in erring on the safe side at the expense of an important part of their economy.

    When the first case was reported in the Philippines, they decided to postpone the opening ceremonies and when the cases started to go up, the cancelled the whole event. It's a disaster averted given that Panagbenga attracts millions of visitors especially on the last week of February.

    There are cases in Baguio, but most seem to be "imported" and was likely caused by people coming home when the government announced a lockdown of Luzon.

    https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/...-magalong.html

  6. #66
    Senior Member NOiNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,544
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous123 View Post
    Your post reminds of this movie scene. lol

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymHRZCxs-hQ
    Lol Didn’t see that movie but yeah, that was decisive!

    @Artek

    I’d assume you’ve already heard Trump compelling General Motors to produce ventilators, invoking the Defense Production Act. This is the importance of having something in black and white (formal written law), these industries are obligated whether they like it or not.

    Also, Duque in health contracts anomaly? So this is why accreditations took forever! He wanted companies affiliated to him to be the first to get their hands on this necessary merchandises. Wouldn’t be surprised if this turns out to be true, the dots connect perfectly.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

  7. #67

    Default

    the lifting of the enhanced community quarantine should be done gradually, depending on the rise or fall of infected cases in a particular city or province.

    cities that have communities of informal settlers like qc should also impose additional lockdown periods on the residents of these depressed areas as many people who live there do not practice social distancing. only allow them to move about once they obey the directive seriously. ok lang if we provide them food and medicine as long as they do not turn their communities into human petri dishes.

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    Could be a case of underreporting?

    Recent article

    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.forb...challenge/amp/

    By now, everyone has heard the phrase “flattening the curve.” What does the curve look like in Thailand?

    We are at a junction, and it can go either way. The doubling of cases went from ten days to five days, and yesterday it hit three days. If we double every two days, we will face the same crisis as the U.S. Social distancing and quarantine are critical. But Thai has no word and no concept of social distance. These are new rhythms we all have to learn, a new normal. Some apps for medical staff we are adapting for the general public, like guidance and tracking on handwashing, social distance, quarantine.
    Meanwhile, in the Philippines, the mainstream media are not reporting on the high infection rate based on the DOH data.

    Confirmed cases 1,418

    Cases tested negative 929

    Cases pending test results 724

    Source: https://www.doh.gov.ph/2019-nCoV

    The DOH didn't even bother to include in their data the number of tests conducted. But basic arithmetic will tell you that 1418 + 929 = 2347 tests conducted. that's a whopping 65.5 infections out of 100 tests. i know this is not the actual figure but if we really want to see where we are right now, we need to have mass testing centers.

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    137
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Lol Didn’t see that movie but yeah, that was decisive!

    @Artek

    I’d assume you’ve already heard Trump compelling General Motors to produce ventilators, invoking the Defense Production Act. This is the importance of having something in black and white (formal written law), these industries are obligated whether they like it or not.

    Also, Duque in health contracts anomaly? So this is why accreditations took forever! He wanted companies affiliated to him to be the first to get their hands on this necessary merchandises. Wouldn’t be surprised if this turns out to be true, the dots connect perfectly.
    I think Duque's firm got the contract in 2019. But he's not the only one. Other cabinet members got the contract like the Villars in DPWH.

    Sorry to the DDS in these board but Duterte stinks.

    On Trump, he unfortunately pull out of the Ventilator deal: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/u...ors-trump.html

  10. #70
    Senior Member NOiNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,544
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post
    I think Duque's firm got the contract in 2019. But he's not the only one. Other cabinet members got the contract like the Villars in DPWH.

    Sorry to the DDS in these board but Duterte stinks.

    On Trump, he unfortunately pull out of the Ventilator deal: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/u...ors-trump.html
    This is a recent issue re: Duque. Details are not yet out so I don’t wanna make any presumptions and I just leave a question mark on this.

    Hmmm, that’s an odd twist. I have a feeling GM priced itself out of this.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

  11. #71
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barok espinoza View Post
    Meanwhile, in the Philippines, the mainstream media are not reporting on the high infection rate based on the DOH data.

    Confirmed cases 1,418

    Cases tested negative 929

    Cases pending test results 724

    Source: https://www.doh.gov.ph/2019-nCoV

    The DOH didn't even bother to include in their data the number of tests conducted. But basic arithmetic will tell you that 1418 + 929 = 2347 tests conducted. that's a whopping 65.5 infections out of 100 tests. i know this is not the actual figure but if we really want to see where we are right now, we need to have mass testing centers.
    That's because it's almost given that you're infected before they test you. They just reported 300+ cases yesterday. That's a huge jump.

    How many testing centers are operating now?

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    137
    Country: United States

    Default

    His firm bagged a contract in 2019

    https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/114740...-doh-contracts

    Talk about conflict of interest

  13. #73

  14. #74
    Senior Member NOiNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,544
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post
    His firm bagged a contract in 2019

    https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/114740...-doh-contracts

    Talk about conflict of interest
    If this was the same thing I’ve heard of, then I stand corrected. This wasn’t recent and Covid19 related after all.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    137
    Country: United States

    Default

    ^^It doesn't matter if it is recent or not. It's still a bad case of conflict of interest. They basically made the government a "business" while being the government.

  16. #76
    Senior Member NOiNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,544
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post
    ^^It doesn't matter if it is recent or not. It's still a bad case of conflict of interest. They basically made the government a "business" while being the government.
    Yes, of course, but that’s besides the point. I’ve raised that issue thinking it was the reason why accreditation and clearance were seemingly taking too long, considering the grave and immediate need.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    137
    Country: United States

    Default

    ^^ Duque's firm being involved can be contributor of the delay.


    Meanwhile, the Vice President has thought out of the box. They have outdone the DOH.

    https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news...of-ppes/story/

  18. #78
    Senior Member NOiNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,544
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post
    ^^ Duque's firm being involved can be contributor of the delay.


    Meanwhile, the Vice President has thought out of the box. They have outdone the DOH.

    https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news...of-ppes/story/
    With emphasis to “can”. Not unless we have a tangible proof, we are assuming here.

    Never really liked Robredo but this is the second time I’m giving her props with how well she responded to this crisis. Not really a novelty (prestigious Italian designers like Gucci and Armani have been making and providing health workers PPEs for quite a while now) but still a commendable initiative on her part. I don’t see anything wrong with copying means and measures that work, like what Sotto and Gatchalian seem to be into, as long as in the end it benefits the people.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

  19. #79
    Senior Member The_Big_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Manila, Leyte, & Iloilo
    Posts
    3,899

    Default

    Tragic news from last night where a medivac plane caught fire. The doctor was a classmate of my nephew.
    SAN BEDA BASKETBALL

  20. #80
    Senior Member st_ang3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barok espinoza View Post
    Meanwhile, in the Philippines, the mainstream media are not reporting on the high infection rate based on the DOH data.

    Confirmed cases 1,418

    Cases tested negative 929

    Cases pending test results 724

    Source: https://www.doh.gov.ph/2019-nCoV

    The DOH didn't even bother to include in their data the number of tests conducted. But basic arithmetic will tell you that 1418 + 929 = 2347 tests conducted. that's a whopping 65.5 infections out of 100 tests. i know this is not the actual figure but if we really want to see where we are right now, we need to have mass testing centers.
    They actually conducted 15k tests as off thursday last week.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •