Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Artek View Post
    The WHO bungled this from the beginning. The reason why people didn't take the virus seriously. It took a long time for them to admit that human to human transmission is very likely even if by late December, this is what Chinese scientists have suspected.

From what I can surmised from the peek in Italy and Spain, February was start of the explosive contagion - the same month the WHO head, Tedros Gebhreyesus said that travel restrictions is "not needed". Then there are those who peddled that this is mild and flu kills more people yearly. Guess what, seasonal flu hardly sends healthcare to it breaking point unlike this virus. He seemed more concerned about the feelings of Beijing than the safety of all humans. But don't be surprised. Back in 2017, Tedros was accused of covering up for the cholera outbreak in Sudan and Ethiopia.

It seems that the lockdown of Wuhan/Hubei was not a clue to them as to how contagious and bad this virus is.

Look at where it got us. Many countries have to practically shut down their economy just to contain the spread and flatten the curve as to not break healthcare services.

I feel that it would have been different if the WHO erred in the safe side by advising against non-essential travel and stricter measures. It would not prevent the spread but it would not be this exponential either.

The first SARS was taken very seriously by the world. Hence, the spread was not exponential.

It's like we're in a bizarre apocalyptic world.
    Ghebreyesus is a crook, plain and simple. He might have advanced degrees in community health and immunology, but he isn't an MD. My friends in the public health sector are wary of him. How else would you describe someone who endorsed Zimbabwe's Mugabe as a WHO goodwill ambassador when it is widely known that the country has a poor human rights and public health record?
    Keep running, big boy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...zmCXLrtESyq5W0

This is the kind of government that Philippine officials are patterning their response after. When can we have true leaders like tsai ing wen and lee hsien loong?

Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    FDA’s Director General Domingo issued clearance for imported ventilators, respirators and other accessories prior to Customs. Good job, ball is in customs’ hands. Tangina, wag na sana nila pagkakitaan to, people are dying.
    What about PPEs? Also, can the government ask industrial manufacturers to produce these for us? Given that most countries are rushing to purchase these equipment ppl, I'm worried the supply won't meet the demand.

This is how the WHO has been careless about this virus.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health...ency-1.4779972

What about PPEs? Also, can the government ask industrial manufacturers to produce these for us? Given that most countries are rushing to purchase these equipment ppl, I'm worried the supply won't meet the demand.
    I think it should fall under the “accessories” so that’s covered. I’d like to clarify my post was not about a particular order or transaction but as a general measure to hasten the process of importation of these necessities. Agencies must collaborate to eliminate red tape and get rid of these unnecessary “bottlenecks”.

I don’t recall reading control of private businesses among the emergency powers given to our President. In all honesty, I don’t think it should take a presidential mandate for these industries to start making (or importing from their contacts) PPEs and help cope up with the demand. It’s happening in other countries. Kahit ibenta na lang nila sa mga ospital, kung di kaya magdonate. But sadly....
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Just wanna give kudos to Cassie Naidas, Japeth’s better half. She and her friends initiated a fundraising to acquire PPE’s and donate them to hospitals in need. Little gesture but might come a long way in terms of saving lives and uplifting the morale of out frontliners.

Japs is one lucky guy.

I think it should fall under the “accessories” so that’s covered. I’d like to clarify my post was not about a particular order or transaction but as a general measure to hasten the process of importation of these necessities. Agencies must collaborate to eliminate red tape and get rid of these unnecessary “bottlenecks”.

I don’t recall reading control of private businesses among the emergency powers given to our President. In all honesty, I don’t think it should take a presidential mandate for these industries to start making (or importing from their contacts) PPEs and help cope up with the demand. It’s happening in other countries. Kahit ibenta na lang nila sa mga ospital, kung di kaya magdonate. But sadly....
    My point is, is it possible for the government to request or commission (not take over) industrial manufacturers to produce PPEs locally. Think of it as like San Miguel producing rubbing alcohol than the "other alcohol". To at least meet some of the demand since even richer countries who can purchase these are starting to run short of ventilators, PPEs. Kind of like temporarily repurposing manufacturing capabilities. For example, there are two TI plants in the Philippines. Since classes are suspend all over, part of their manufacturing capacity could be reallocated temporarily until this crisis is over.

In a way, this is also to keep some part of the economy functioning.

My point is, is it possible for the government to request or commission (not take over) industrial manufacturers to produce PPEs locally. Think of it as like San Miguel producing rubbing alcohol than the "other alcohol". To at least meet some of the demand since even richer countries who can purchase these are starting to run short of ventilators, PPEs. Kind of like temporarily repurposing manufacturing capabilities. For example, there are two TI plants in the Philippines. Since classes are suspend all over, part of their manufacturing capacity could be reallocated temporarily until this crisis is over.

In a way, this is also to keep some part of the economy functioning.
    I think the government can if it wants to. Maybe the more pressing question is whether these industries would be amenable to it. This is why I mention the emergency powers. These companies can simply decline for whatever reasons as they are not obliged to heed such request.

^^If it keeps their company afloat, I can see them agreeing to it as long as the government pays them (very important) and it is within their capacity. With classes all over the world and especially in the US as well as other businesses closing down, there sure is a plunge in demand for calculators. There's also a Moog aviation plant in the Philippines, so there might be some manufacturing capabilities. The old Honda plant could also be repurposed?!

NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Their mass testing was also coupled with stringent surveillance of COVID patients and suspected cases - something that we do not have (and not even the US unless they start requiring ankle tracker a la people under probation).

Mass testing will only be effective you you implement surveillance to make sure PUIs and positive cases follow social distancing.

Sa Pilipinas, wala eh. Yung VIP na may sintomas at nagpositive, naglagalag pa sa MMC at S&R.
    Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    ^^
    Correct mass testing without physically isolating both negative and positive results back into the community. Will not work

I have yet to see a plan on how they will execute this, puro new kits etc.. Without a plan in place, wala rin, u can't expect a plan anyway when u don't have people really in charge of the national crisis response. Wala were a headless chicken.. without dirction
    True, guys. The most essential part of any measure would always be distancing and isolation. However we approach this contagion, whether via partial or total lockdown, aggressive testing, priority testing, it would always boil down to avoiding contact to stop the spread.

Having said that, mass testing would always be a very helpful ally against this pandemic as it means identifying the most number of possible carriers, esp the asymptomatic and mild ones, before they could do more damage by going on with their lives not knowing they are spreading the virus in the process.

Anyway, we broke the record anew for most deaths in one day. Today's number is at a staggering 969 deaths, toppling the previous high of 793 registered a few days ago.

Edit: Today’s actual death is 919. The 50 was yesterday’s, when Italia’s Protezione Civile committed a typographical error on the report.
    Last edited by NOiNU; 03-28-2020 at 12:25 AM.

I think the Philippines has the highest % (20%)of deaths of medical frontliners (10)compared to total deaths (54)

I think the Philippines has the highest % (20%)of deaths of medical frontliners (10)compared to total deaths (54)
    This spells the lack of proper protocol put in place by the government. It seems that they relied on people's honesty about their contacts and travel history.

Should the supply of kits be more available, ideally, we should test ALL people seeking medical help no matter the symptoms. It's not very realistic to really test 110 million people in the Philippines.

There was a gap between the first three cases (Chinese immigrants) and the fourth case (Filipino who came from Japan) and the DOH did nothing, unfortunately.

One case that even scared the residents of Baguio was a case of a young government worker who has been to Japan in late Feb, became a PUI early March due to cough and travel history but despite being a PUI, she went to Baguio, attended a conference, became a "tourist" and when she came back to Manila and got her results, she came out positive.

You can see how lax has the government been regarding the cases. There was no strong implementation of social distancing for PUIs. Just imagine the number of PUIs that don't self-quarantine that don't make it to the media.

Anyway, we broke the record anew for most deaths in one day. Today's number is at a staggering 969 deaths, toppling the previous high of 793 registered a few days ago.
    Looks like Italy has not really peaked yet. Stay safe, kabayan

This spells the lack of proper protocol put in place by the government. It seems that they relied on people's honesty about their contacts and travel history.

Should the supply of kits be more available, ideally, we should test ALL people seeking medical help no matter the symptoms. It's not very realistic to really test 110 million people in the Philippines.

There was a gap between the first three cases (Chinese immigrants) and the fourth case (Filipino who came from Japan) and the DOH did nothing, unfortunately.

One case that even scared the residents of Baguio was a case of a young government worker who has been to Japan in late Feb, became a PUI early March due to cough and travel history but despite being a PUI, she went to Baguio, attended a conference, became a "tourist" and when she came back to Manila and got her results, she came out positive.

You can see how lax has the government been regarding the cases. There was no strong implementation of social distancing for PUIs. Just imagine the number of PUIs that don't self-quarantine that don't make it to the media.
    The first case in Batangas was an old guy who traveled to the UK. Attended an event and alot of people got exposed including the vice gov. Got his sister infected ( who eventually died). 3rd case was an old woman who came home from Italy and allegedly even had a boodlefight with family and friends. Boss in Italy later died of Covid. How are these people not in quarantine automatically given their travel history? Heck even the new cases in Batangas are products of the ineffective quarantine. These are people who went back to Batangas from Manila.

Looks like Italy has not really peaked yet. Stay safe, kabayan
    Thanks, you too. Hope you’re wrong and this is just an anomaly. People are starting to lose their nerves, and their patience. Suicides amongst positive cases and scared citizens are becoming rampant. Even a nurse committed suicide inside a hospital because she can no longer handle the stress.

This is a test of resolve more than a test of immune system. If one is weak, he’d be defeated even before contracting the virus. I am tempted to say that this wouldn’t be the case for us Pinoys as we are used to any kind of hardships. We are tough. But then again this is a different animal. Not like anything we ever faced before in our lifetime. Of course not unless you’re Senator Juan Ponce Enrile.

Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    The first case in Batangas was an old guy who traveled to the UK. Attended an event and alot of people got exposed including the vice gov. Got his sister infected ( who eventually died). 3rd case was an old woman who came home from Italy and allegedly even had a boodlefight with family and friends. Boss in Italy later died of Covid. How are these people not in quarantine automatically given their travel history? Heck even the new cases in Batangas are products of the ineffective quarantine. These are people who went back to Batangas from Manila.
    One big mistake of this government was not to quarantine inbound travelers especially those who came from known infected countries. It seems that we have more carriers from countries OTHER than China than spread the virus.

One big mistake of this government was not to quarantine inbound travelers especially those who came from known infected countries. It seems that we have more carriers from countries OTHER than China than spread the virus.
    It seems like they thought they got the situation under control after the initial outbreak. Most people thought that only the Chinese were the possible carriers. Heck I remember it was a big issue when they wanted to ban Taiwan flights too.

US passes 100,000 CASES of Covid-19 after becoming world epicenter for virus - Johns Hopkins University

https://www.rt.com/uk/484332-coronav...-record-cases/

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast