Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Euroleague and Eurocup suspended due to COVID-19

Default Euroleague and Eurocup suspended due to COVID-19

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/eurolea...no-as-planned/

Euroleague is a joke! Flights around the world are cancelled to and from Italy, the country is in a lock-down; Italy has banned sporting events (domestic). Countries around the world are not allowing travellers from Italy to enter their country; those who do allow them require a 14-day quarantine.

What exactly does Euroleague expect Olympiakos to do?

Shame, Bertomeu must be living in cuckoo-land, no other explanation and complete disregard and disrespect towards vulunerable groups. I think Olympiakos should respond and say, "only if Bertomeu joins us".
    "Fans never fall asleep at our games, because they're afraid they might get hit by a pass." —George Raveling

"If I weren’t earning $3 million a year to dunk a basketball, most people on the street would run in the other direction if they saw me coming."—Charles Barkley

"You are really funny thinking that you will be the ones to kick PANATHINAIKOS out of euroleague. We will do it ourselves." - saras (not the player )

The state of Bavaria decided to cancel all events with more than 1000 spectators/participants till April 19th, means the Euroleague has a huge problem. And I am pretty damn sure the other states in Germany will follow the lead of Bavaria, including Berlin.

Quote Originally Posted by kzav View Post

Euroleague is a joke! Flights around the world are cancelled to and from Italy, the country is in a lock-down; Italy has banned sporting events (domestic). Countries around the world are not allowing travellers from Italy to enter their country; those who do allow them require a 14-day quarantine.

Shame, Bertomeu must be living in cuckoo-land, no other explanation and complete disregard and disrespect towards vulunerable groups. I think Olympiakos should respond and say, "only if Bertomeu joins us".

It would ruin their precious match schedule, that is obviously more important that the people's health.
    Euroleague IBN Game Champion 2007-2008
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2008-2009

"And then comes Panathinaikos and their young center, Pekovic. He hit me once and it was like getting hit by a train.
    He's a big boy. I said to him, "How much you weigh?" and he said, "Too much".

And he was right."

Ricardo Greer, Nancy

Following their return from Italy, all Olympiacos players and staff will be required to self-quarantine at their homes for 2 weeks.
    I guess we plan to forfeit the next couple of games then?

Someone in euroleague should watch some news, they have about a day to get up to date with what's happening.

again, el is going to be suspendend or stopped

Assuming games go ahead, I don't think playing Home or Away will have that much of an impact going forward.

Looking at Maccabi vs CSKA, does it really matter now who finishes 4th or 5th position?
    It would be super interesting to find some statistical evidence regarding this subject.
    I still think that it is better to play at home, when you are used to everything, sleep in your own bed, a coming to the game as part of your routine.
    Until now in Israel, it is allowed to have 5k supporters per game, so it ls also a factor.

But anyway, this whole Corona shit messed up the international sports.

Quote Originally Posted by thiago94 View Post
    The state of Bavaria decided to cancel all events with more than 1000 spectators/participants till April 19th, means the Euroleague has a huge problem. And I am pretty damn sure the other states in Germany will follow the lead of Bavaria, including Berlin.
    How it this a game changer? The games will proceed with empty arenas or with 1K spetators.
    It is defently sucks, but it is still not a game changer. Many teams in Europe play with empty arenas/stadiums or with hard restrictions.

Having said that, the unability to control the virus in European states, make it more and more probable that a real game changer actions will be taken in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Metec View Post
    How it this a game changer? The games will proceed with empty arenas or with 1K spetators.
    It is defently sucks, but it is still not a game changer. Many teams in Europe play with empty arenas/stadiums or with hard restrictions.

Having said that, the unability to control the virus in European states, make it more and more probable that a real game changer actions will be taken in the near future.
    For sure not with 1k spectators, tricks like that were prohibited. But you seem right, eventhough the original wording was "canceled", playing in front of empty stands seem like a legit option. However, many sport teams/leagues (most likely our national basketball competitions and the DEL) won't play at all in the next weeks, so let´s wait and see.

Are you sure that flights are cancelled? Because they for sure weren’t cancelled today.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Are you sure that flights are cancelled? Because they for sure weren’t cancelled today.
    Yes, I didn't say ALLflights, I said flights around the world. Greece has cancelled flights to Milan, British Airways to entire Italy leaving tourists stranded.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...iness-51818492

Link above provides more info for some, but ofcourse there are many other airlines for various countries that no longer fly to and from Italy.

Why were you certain they weren't cancelled?
    "Fans never fall asleep at our games, because they're afraid they might get hit by a pass." —George Raveling

"If I weren’t earning $3 million a year to dunk a basketball, most people on the street would run in the other direction if they saw me coming."—Charles Barkley

"You are really funny thinking that you will be the ones to kick PANATHINAIKOS out of euroleague. We will do it ourselves." - saras (not the player )

Yes, I didn't say ALLflights, I said flights around the world. Greece has cancelled flights to Milan, British Airways to entire Italy leaving tourists stranded.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...iness-51818492

For sure many are cancelled
    Ok. I have understood that you said it’s a lockdown and everything is cancelled. I came today from Italy without any problems.
    Last edited by Killer Bob; 03-10-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    previously known as Beno

Greece has cancelled all flights to Milan, if the team goes it will be a charter flight arriving on Thursday morning and leaving on Thursday night.

As things stand, many players don't want to go and I don't blame them.

The same thing happens with soccer champions League for the time being.

Lione has to go to Turin to play again Juventus according to UEFA.

They are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmercer80 View Post
    The same thing happens with soccer champions League for the time being.

Lione has to go to Turin to play again Juventus according to UEFA.

They are crazy.
    The question is, what they really can do? In 2 weeks in the most of Eurupe situation will be much worse than is today and somewhat similar that is in Italy. Where will you play games then? And if Greece demands from Oly players to go in quarantine, they would demand the same from Milano players too. or some other team, that will have similar situation in their country. I don’t believe that many countries are looking forward to host these games instead of Milano. What happens when first player or member of the team is infected? Whole teams going in quarantine for 14 days? It seems very realistic possibility that these seasons won’t be finished at all. I don’t believe there are many good options left.
    Last edited by Killer Bob; 03-11-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    previously known as Beno

Ok. I have understood that you said it’s a lockdown and everything is cancelled. I came today from Italy without any problems.
    ah ah... you stayed until ski.downhills Locked down too...
    EUROLEAGUEADDICTED

The question is, what they really can do? In 2 weeks in the most of Eurupe situation will be much worse than is today
    If that's true then this season will never end, we won't even have the euro and the Olympics.

The only way we can salvage anything is if everyone takes measures now so that in 2-3 weeks the situation is hopefully under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    If that's true then this season will never end, we won't even have the euro and the Olympics.

The only way we can salvage anything is if everyone takes measures now so that in 2-3 weeks the situation is hopefully under control.
    2-3 weeks is too soon. We will see peak of the virus in many countries then. Looking at the timeline of the virus, I would guess that in May things should be much better, the problem for Euroleague is, it will be too late for them.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by radallo View Post
    ah ah... you stayed until ski.downhills Locked down too...
    I hoped Alto Adige will stay open few more weeks.
    previously known as Beno

2-3 weeks is too soon. We will see peak of the virus in many countries then.
    If we remain irresponsible, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    If we remain irresponsible, sure.
    It's really a matter of math now. Italy went from 300 infected to 10.000+ in 2 weeks. We can assume that we have many infected all over the Europe, who are not sick yet. It's basically too late already. Only thing we can do is to slow down the virus and give hospitals opportunity to give care to as many people possible.
    previously known as Beno

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast