Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Euroleague Regular Season: Week 29

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    EU is lockdown and shutdown, many people not working, kids not going in schools...Players are not playing and not training. And if normal people can go to work after 2-3 months without problems, basketball players cannot start playing matches without training for something like 6 weeks at least. And I have explained to you already, clubs too won't just wait for 3 months and pay everyone not knowing what will happen after that. That is not about what is fair or what isn't. All this situation is unfair and not getting the Euroleague champion is the last problem people around the world are having at the moment.
    As much as it isn't important who will be EL champion in this moment of awful pandemia, it won't be important in 2 or 3 months if players are trained or not. Who cares? All clubs will be in the same situation. It won't be high quality tournament but we will have regular winner.

Team which finds the best way to prepare players or to save roster will win. We must be optimists and basketball must go on.

Quote Originally Posted by vivo View Post
    I believe the probability of Euroleague finishing with all the remaining games being played is about the same as Euroleague finishing with a remote NBA 2K20 tournament
    Don't give Jordi any ideas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    I have to apologize from Ataman, who said (not the exact words, summary of a 3 minute interview here) "I hope the leagues can be concluded somehow at a later date, but only if the health risk is reduced to zero. Some people say if the leagues are ended today, the leader team should be announced as the champion. I don't agree, I would not want to accept such a championship. it's up to the authorities but I don't think that would be the right thing."
    For once Ataman surprised me
    FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010-11(2), 2013, 2016, 2019-20(2) Turkish Cup Champion ---
    --- 1991, 2007-08(2), 2010-11(2), 2014, 2016-18(3) Turkish BSL Champion ---
    --- 2015-19(5) EuroLeague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 EuroLeague Champion ---

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    Who mentioned ZOC or Fener? I didn't. Season is over for us long time ago, I will not repeat again mistakes we made with bad contracts and bad strategy. So, as Fener fan cancelation is quit ok.

But we must be fair to teams that fight for title, Efes in first place , then Barca and Real who have similar chances for the title as Efes.
    If they are not capable to keep all players EL should give them chance to bring new ones or play with second teams, who cares.
    Basketball fans want to see finish of this season and EL know that.

Sport must continue like every other segment of the life. Why basketball players are more important then us, ordinary people? Playing is their job, and EL job is to secure safe playing of remaining games.
    The problem with contracts is the most critical here. Some teams released their players, some will have heavy problems in expiring contracts further than June (the second thing is that you cannot force a player if his contract is expired). The first thing would have to be a ULEB wide contract definition or agreement with player's association (I think Datome is their spokesman). Obviously for me totally impossible to find a solution even I would love to have a knockout tournament so solve this issue.

By the way Euroleague's announcement from yesterday is out of reality.

previously known as Beno

At last one basketball news in thread about basketball

At last one basketball news in thread about basketball
    Unfortunately basketball season is over.
    previously known as Beno

Unfortunately basketball season is over.
    Unfortunately it will be but not yet, we will see in next month or two

Unfortunately it will be but not yet, we will see in next month or two
    Z. Dragic escaped from Spain yesterday. He will now have to be in hotel room in strict quarantine for 14 days. Everything is lockdown in Slovenia, so no possibility for basketball training. Let say he returns in Spain in 2 months, he will need to go to quarantine again there. So 3 months without proper training, 1 months in hotel room and you expect that he will be able to play Euroleague in few weeks time? It would have been extremely dangerous for him.
    previously known as Beno

Even in the best possible outcome where this chinese virus finishes, it will take at least a month to fully finish and people would feel safe at least.

Then the players will need another month to get into shape after not training for a half and a month. Otherwise there will be a lot of injuries.

So the league will start at june, 2 months later, and that's being optimistic. And then you will need to play the games like hell, once a day, or like within 2 days, because there is no time either. And that would be torturing the players as well. I would say that's a very very low possibility because this chinese virus doesn't look like it will finish in 1 month, it looks like it will last 2 months at least, so it means the season will not continue. It's over.
    Last edited by Tevfik1907; 03-27-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010-11(2), 2013, 2016, 2019-20(2) Turkish Cup Champion ---
    --- 1991, 2007-08(2), 2010-11(2), 2014, 2016-18(3) Turkish BSL Champion ---
    --- 2015-19(5) EuroLeague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 EuroLeague Champion ---

previously known as Beno

Btw. I have read many articles about Premier league. We all know how dominant Liverpool was and that in 99.99% he would have won the title. But it looks very likely now that season will be cancelled because of all legal problems, which would have been brought in with any other decision.
    previously known as Beno

EL shouldn't be canceled. Rest of the season could be played in month, two or half year from now. If this continue start of the next season will be under question too.

So, it's better to finish this season then to start new one.

EL shouldn't be canceled. Rest of the season could be played in month, two or half year from now. If this continue start of the next season will be under question too.

So, it's better to finish this season then to start new one.
    I don't see any legal disputes for the next season if this season will be canceled. Neither from ULEB/Euroleague side as they are the only ones who can decide it nor for contract situation (it simply doesn't impact contracts).

As written a prolongation of this season from june further on will heavily impact the contract situation in Europe as most contracts run out in June in Europe. There is still a little hope for a knockout tournament to finish it but considering all circumstances it's pretty impossible to finish this season.

A 10-day all in tournament is the only solution in my eyes and I hope that EL will find an agreement with players association and teams but if just one team disagrees it's impossible. Situation in Russia for example shows that it won't be easy to find a solution including CSKA and Himki.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    I don't see any legal disputes for the next season if this season will be canceled. Neither from ULEB/Euroleague side as they are the only ones who can decide it nor for contract situation (it simply doesn't impact contracts).

As written a prolongation of this season from june further on will heavily impact the contract situation in Europe as most contracts run out in June in Europe. There is still a little hope for a knockout tournament to finish it but considering all circumstances it's pretty impossible to finish this season.

A 10-day all in tournament is the only solution in my eyes and I hope that EL will find an agreement with players association and teams but if just one team disagrees it's impossible. Situation in Russia for example shows that it won't be easy to find a solution including CSKA and Himki.
    They must find way to finish this season and then and if there is limited time, immediately start a new season.

For instance in October could be F4 or F8 or F16 and two weeks after that start of the new Regular season.

If pandemia continues until end of the year it's better to finish this season then start new one.

In any case cancelation of the most important basketball competition in Europe would be a big mistake.

They must find way to finish this season and then and if there is limited time, immediately start a new season.

For instance in October could be F4 or F8 or F16 and two weeks after that start of the new Regular season.

If pandemia continues until end of the year it's better to finish this season then start new one.

In any case cancelation of the most important basketball competition in Europe would be a big mistake.
    Incredible...
    previously known as Beno

Incredible...
    All your predictions were wrong until now so you are the last guy on the planet who should predict anything

I read there are many suggestions from players and coaches to give Partizan title in Aba league and EL spot next season.
    That could be done in EL too. If Killer Bob agree of course

I read there are many suggestions from players and coaches to give Partizan title in Aba league and EL spot next season.
    That could be done in EL too. If Killer Bob agree of course
    The suggestion is from who? Partizan president, their populistic and demagogic coach, from Lukovic ex Partizan player and Muric ex Partizan player...the "machine" is running hot on their favourit issue - spinning.

This decision would be a scandal. Situation is specific in ABA since clubs are deciding in this wannabe-league what will happen via direct voting and Partizan is heavily lobbying for their votes to get this undeserved title. A For example with really unreliable and awkward messages of "support" to their "good rivals" in Zagreb after the earthquake. For me impossible as long as zvezda and Buducnost are opposing this.

Most important question is why Partizan won't get the EC title even they have the best score until now...there were two group stages and they are finished - it would be possible but won't happen of course because basketball without playoffs is worthless.

Incredible...
    Why? "Turkey will beat coronavirus within 2 to 3 weeks".The hot potato is titles in EL and other leagues

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast