Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Euroleague Regular Season: Week 29

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Fair to play any kind of tournament? Playoffs, F4 or F8? Teams had different opponents, different number of home games... And I don't believe we will have a winner without a final tournament. Why is cancellation the worst possibility? If something is not finished, you cannot have a winner. You have the rules for the reason. And the rules say, the winner is decided in F4. They might even change the rules, but you will need majority of the votes for that. Kinda unlikely best teams will vote and give Efes championship without tournament.
    And all football leagues in the world are fools because champion is winner of the league? I like F4 system but league is a legitimate indicator who was the best.

I would like playoff more, but if options are cancelation or this, then Efes deserved this title and I don't see any reason against that. Efes has 4 home and 2 away games and not a single match against top5 teams, while Barca and Real have clash beetwen each other in 33rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    And all football leagues in the world are fools because champion is winner of the league? I like F4 system but league is a legitimate indicator who was the best.
    Well, the regular season in the EL does not mean as much as the football leagues. There are 2 more major steps to decide the winner, and you know how the previous seasons went. I just hope there will be a time frame to conclude the season somehow.

if they have to announce a winner with no more games, then, it has to be Efes obviously.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

I would like playoff more, but if options are cancelation or this, then Efes deserved this title and I don't see any reason against that. Efes has 4 home and 2 away games and not a single match against top5 teams, while Barca and Real have clash beetwen each other in 33rd round.
    You don't understand, regular season doesn't decide the season in Euroleague. Do you believe that Bucks will be champions in Nba, if they won't continue the league?
    previously known as Beno

You don't understand, regular season doesn't decide the season in Euroleague. Do you believe that Bucks will be champions in Nba, if they won't continue the league?
    Furthermore, it would be rather a disgrace for Efes to get their first EL title that way than a real honor as they probably deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    Furthermore, it would be rather a disgrace for Efes to get their first EL title that way than a real honor as they probably deserved.
    Probably deserve doesn't really belong in sports. We all remember how dominant Cska was and how improbable was Oly' win. But in the end Oly has deservedly won.
    previously known as Beno

Probably deserve doesn't really belong in sports. We all remember how dominant Cska was and how improbable was Oly' win. But in the end Oly has deservedly won.
    Not really. Oly was not the best team but in the end they got the title. A better system (playoffs) would guarantee that the best team wins finally.
    Anyway, "probably deserved" means that they would probably win. It's an a priori statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    Not really. Oly was not the best team but in the end they got the title. A better system (playoffs) would guarantee that the best team wins finally.
    Anyway, "probably deserved" means that they would probably win. It's an a priori statement.
    Probably win in F4 format? I believe all 4 teams would have had pretty even chances, maybe Efes and Real a bit bigger, but very far away from the degree of certainty that probably win implies. If we are talking about chances my guess would be, that we probably won't have Euroleague champion this year.
    previously known as Beno

The Regular Season leader historically does not win the Title. Just in the last 5 seasons not one RS leader won the title (I didn't check any further back because of the format changes). So the title would need to vacated this year. Efes played well but to just hand them a title they have not won would be a massive slap in the face to the other teams fighting for the title and not at all in line with "Fair Play".

Of course Killer Bob is right, basketball without playoffs is worth nothing. Decision in Lithuania is not good from their federation. Much more intersting it's to me how leagues will decide their champion or standings where EL and EC titles are not guaranteed with A or B licence. Like Germany, ABA league etc. There has to be a decision from Euroleague. It will lead to great disatisfaction. At the end there are much more important things than basketball and maybe those who are seeing their lives through national flags are finally seeing that we are all the same people.

After 30 years of watching basketball I don't understand regulations, yes of course.

You discovered America Columbus, congretulations Without you we wouldn't know what is purpose of the league part of the competition

We are talking here about situation if no game won't be played anymore this season. Cancelation or Efes winner, do you understand that.

NBA with 6 divisions isn't same as EL with one division and clear situation about best team. looking standings, last 6 rounds schedule and all main stats categories.

I know that you as Real fan want playoff and F4, but I am asking you what if this situation continue next 3 or 5 months? Cancelation or Efes as winner?

After 30 years of watching basketball I don't understand regulations, yes of course.

You discovered America Columbus, congretulations Without you we wouldn't know what is purpose of the league part of the competition

We are talking here about situation if no game won't be played anymore this season. Cancelation or Efes winner, do you understand that.

NBA with 6 divisions isn't same as EL with one division and clear situation about best team. looking standings, last 6 rounds schedule and all main stats categories.

I know that you as Real fan want playoff and F4, but I am asking you what if this situation continue next 3 or 5 months? Cancelation or Efes as winner?
    Efes hasn't won anything, except home court advantage in playoffs.
    previously known as Beno

Efes hasn't won anything, except home court advantage in playoffs.
    I agree with that just not with cancelation.
    Title without playoff would be some sort of gift to them, but cancelation would be shame for EL and big disgrace to Efes.

As I see Uefa will propose F4 in Champion league for the first time in history, so I expect the same in EL. I hope location will be the same too

I agree with that just not with cancelation.
    Title without playoff would be some sort of gift to them, but cancelation would be shame for EL and big disgrace to Efes.

As I see Uefa will propose F4 in Champion league for the first time in history, so I expect the same in EL. I hope location will be the same too
    That would actually be a good solution, if 2 days could be spared at some point before June. No team will be happy but it is better than canceling the year altogether.

It's just sad for Efes. Having a great year, and then starting from scratch next year, empty handed.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    That would actually be a good solution, if 2 days could be spared at some point before June. No team will be happy but it is better than canceling the year altogether.

It's just sad for Efes. Having a great year, and then starting from scratch next year, empty handed.
    Why empty handed? We don't know yet what will happen. Efes has 25% to win the title in any case. In case F4 is being played in Istanbul chances are even greater.

I am asking you what if this situation continue next 3 or 5 months? Cancelation or Efes as winner?
    Of course cancellation will be more fair in regard to ALL the other teams. Otherwise it would mean that they were milking a bull the whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by iraz View Post
    Of course cancellation will be more fair in regard to ALL the other teams. Otherwise it would mean that they were milking a bull the whole season.
    Cancelation wouldn't be fair to any team but it would be disgrace for Efes. EL must find way to organize playoff or to proclaim Efes as winner.

Continuation of leagues is much more difficult that people realise. You cannot start a league without start training first. So when all is cleared, you will still need a time before leagues start. So even if everything will be miraculously over in end of April, you still couldn’t start leagues before mid May at best. And then you have national leagues, Olympic qualifiers, Olympic games... Maybe the only solution could be to somehow finish regular season and have some kind of tournament in October before EuroLeague starts. But like things looks in Western and Central Europe, basketball will be the last thing to worry about next couple of months and even beyond that.
    previously known as Beno

Cancelation wouldn't be fair to any team but it would be disgrace for Efes. EL must find way to organize playoff or to proclaim Efes as winner.
    You really don’t understand what a situation in Western/Central Europe is? People afraid and some dying. Do you understand how catastrophic influences will all that have on economics of Europe and the World? Nobody cares much about sport at this time and especially nobody cares if Efes is a winner or not.
    previously known as Beno

For everyone, who still believe leagues will continue soon. https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...269794830?s=20
    previously known as Beno

You really don’t understand what a situation in Western/Central Europe is? People afraid and some dying. Do you understand how catastrophic influences will all that have on economics of Europe and the World? Nobody cares much about sport at this time and especially nobody cares if Efes is a winner or not.
    This is basketball forum and you have other thread about COVID-19.
    My parents are old and I am perfectly aware of danger even without your observation.

But, as I said this is basketball forum and we talk here about basketball.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast