The Reign of Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JamalJokic View Post
    I think the Canadian NT needs to win something in order to give the fans something to cheer about. The last medal they won was the bronze at the 2015 Americas Championship. I imagine if the Canadians took the upcoming AmeriCup seriously and won the tournament it would gain national attention. Mexico winning the 2013 Americas championship really brought a new sense of passion to the sport in the country and brought in new Fiba fans.
    Not going to happen.

No one in the USA or Canada cares about the AmeriCup, especially when it has no significance whatsoever in terms of Qualifying for the World Cup (or Olympics in times past).

We will be sending a "C" of "D" team that will hopefully be highlighted by our better European pros. That could still be good enough for top 3. Won't beat a competent Argentina squad, but could also lose to PR, DR, BRA, VEN, MEX.

And to touch on the earlier posts about putting more and more high caliber players into the NBA....Josh Primo was just drafted #12 to the Spurs. Caleb Houstan is projected Top 5 for next year with Bennedict Mathurin a possible lottery pick. 7'4, Zack Eday was one of the best players at the U19 WC, Shaedon Sharpe might end up the #1 rated high school player this year. Many other less heralded kids in the Summer League and G that could turn into the next Dort or Boucher. They keep coming....

Maybe one day, when only 50% of the NBA players show up it is still enough to challenge. Maybe Murray or SGA or someone else can be our lite version of FIBA Durant/Luka/Patty and carry a team into the semis.
    Last edited by mojo13; 08-11-2021, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I don't really like the title of this thread but I'll post this hear anyways.

Canada has announced a committment by 14 players to the Senior National Team for a three-year cycle through the 2023 Olympics in Paris.

This is Canada Basketball's attempt at reversing years of disappointing player turnout and terrible chemistry and consistency when the NBA players actually do show. The hope is to create a core of players, where most play every summer building experience, chemistry, tactics and create some form of an actual "team". We know the talent is there (if it shows) but they finnally realized after losing to a much less talented Czech team on home soil, that experience with FIBA and each other actually matters.

The 14 players include:

Nickeil Alexander-Walker — Utah Jazz (NBA)
      RJ Barrett — New York Knicks (NBA)
      Khem Birch — Toronto Raptors (NBA)
      Oshae Brissett — Indiana Pacers (NBA)
      Dillon Brooks — Memphis Grizzlies (NBA)
      Luguentz Dort — Oklahoma City Thunder (NBA)
      Zach Edey — Purdue (NCAA)
      Melvin Ejim — Cedevita Olimpija (Slovenia)
      Shai Gilgeous-Alexander — Oklahoma City Thunder (NBA)
      Cory Joseph — Detroit Pistons (NBA)
      Jamal Murray — Denver Nuggets (NBA)
      Kelly Olynyk — Detroit Pistons (NBA)
      Kevin Pangos — Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA)
      Dwight Powell — Dallas Mavericks (NBA)

They asked for a 3-year "committment" (I think on paper) which resulted in no Andrew Wiggins, Brandon Clarke, Trey Lyles, Tristan Thompson, Chris Boucher, Josh Primo and a couple others that could/should be in this 14. The roster is technically not closed off to them, but enough of this 14 would need to be unavailable (injury etc) for a roster spot to open up. I can only imagine that if Andrew Wiggins was available they would find a way to include him. Maybe tough luck for the others....

They are also are supposed to fill any holes from the "winter core" which is highlighted by guys like Kyle Alexander, Kyle Wiltjer, Thomas Scrubb, Kassius Robertson, Phil Scrubb etc,. The team that has been playing the in-season WC Qualfiers (lots of solid ACB/BCL, EuroCup type players to choose from).

Looks like Melvin Ejim and Kevin Pangos were included to provide some FIBA experience and leadership. Zach Edey is included as a direct response to Canada being totally undersized versus the Czechs. Up front still seems a size concern, but it'd be much better than the Qualifier team. Plenty of elite wings and gaurds - not so sure about depth at C and PG.

I don't expect 100% of these guys at each event but hopefully it is most of them (free agency, injuries still happen) so they actually do buidl chemistry. For example the World Cup Qualification Window 3 is about 10 days away. No roster has been announced yet, but Khem Burch just had knee surgery and I think Jamal Murray and Lu Dort are still recovering from long term injuries. No idea who else may sit out, but it could already be telling if many did.

We'll see if this is finally the solution Canada has been searching for. To me....what happens next summer for the World Cup will be the first real test. The three events this summer are pretty minor...

And I'm still convinced any high level hopes are contingent on having Jamal Murray, Shai Gilgeous Alexander and Kelly Olynyk all playing at once. Maybe throw RJ Barrett (definitley Wiggins) into that grouop and you only need 3 of the 4. The rest are role players.

Also the 2020 NBA Draft is this week. Should see another 4 Canadians drafted (2 in the Top 10) in Shaedon Sharpe, Bennedict Mathurin, Andrew Nembhard, Caleb Houstan. The talent pipeline is not slowing down.
      Last edited by mojo13; 06-21-2022, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
        Thank you very much, bruh...

I think Canada still reigning as the biggest talent farm after USA in the world without a question. If hasn't transit to wins in FIBA yet, but who knows how this decade will look.

Interesting. I think playing for NT should be very very voluntary. But who knows, maybe signing "commitment" may work for such country as Canada which has so many candidates too.

I like Bennedict Mathurin. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he will be an all star one day. Zach Adey obviously is interesting old school monster. Why not to have one player of that kind.
        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
        Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Canada has announced a committment by 14 players to the Senior National Team for a three-year cycle through the 2023 Olympics in Paris.

This is Canada Basketball's attempt at reversing years of disappointing player turnout and terrible chemistry and consistency when the NBA players actually do show. The hope is to create a core of players, where most play every summer building experience, chemistry, tactics and create some form of an actual "team". We know the talent is there (if it shows) but they finnally realized after losing to a much less talented Czech team on home soil, that experience with FIBA and each other actually matters.

Indeed! It's about time. Waiting for NBA players to decide whether they can be bothered to play hasn't enabled the much needed team chemistry to be created.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
            Indeed! It's about time. Waiting for NBA players to decide whether they can be bothered to play hasn't enabled the much needed team chemistry to be created.

We will see if it actually happens. I'm still a little skeptical. It seems the right strategy in theory but I'm not sure if a North American side can actually pull this off.

I hope it is something more than an enthusiatic turnout this summer only to see it fall apart for next summers' World Cup. The WC is the easist path into the Olympics and needs to be prioritized.

Plus, I kinda want to go...

Comment

Plus, I kinda want to go...

Indonesia, Japan and the Philippines? Expensive trip!

Comment

The 14 players include:

Nickeil Alexander-Walker — Utah Jazz (NBA)
                RJ Barrett — New York Knicks (NBA)
                Khem Birch — Toronto Raptors (NBA)
                Oshae Brissett — Indiana Pacers (NBA)
                Dillon Brooks — Memphis Grizzlies (NBA)
                Luguentz Dort — Oklahoma City Thunder (NBA)
                Zach Edey — Purdue (NCAA)
                Melvin Ejim — Cedevita Olimpija (Slovenia)
                Shai Gilgeous-Alexander — Oklahoma City Thunder (NBA)
                Cory Joseph — Detroit Pistons (NBA)
                Jamal Murray — Denver Nuggets (NBA)
                Kelly Olynyk — Detroit Pistons (NBA)
                Kevin Pangos — Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA)
                Dwight Powell — Dallas Mavericks (NBA)

They asked for a 3-year "committment" (I think on paper) which resulted in no Andrew Wiggins, Brandon Clarke, Trey Lyles, Tristan Thompson, Chris Boucher, Josh Primo and a couple others that could/should be in this 14. The roster is technically not closed off to them, but enough of this 14 would need to be unavailable (injury etc) for a roster spot to open up. I can only imagine that if Andrew Wiggins was available they would find a way to include him. Maybe tough luck for the others....

They are also are supposed to fill any holes from the "winter core" which is highlighted by guys like Kyle Alexander, Kyle Wiltjer, Thomas Scrubb, Kassius Robertson, Phil Scrubb etc,. The team that has been playing the in-season WC Qualfiers (lots of solid ACB/BCL, EuroCup type players to choose from).

Looks like Melvin Ejim and Kevin Pangos were included to provide some FIBA experience and leadership. Zach Edey is included as a direct response to Canada being totally undersized versus the Czechs. Up front still seems a size concern, but it'd be much better than the Qualifier team. Plenty of elite wings and gaurds - not so sure about depth at C and PG.

I don't expect 100% of these guys at each event but hopefully it is most of them (free agency, injuries still happen) so they actually do buidl chemistry. For example the World Cup Qualification Window 3 is about 10 days away. No roster has been announced yet, but Khem Burch just had knee surgery and I think Jamal Murray and Lu Dort are still recovering from long term injuries. No idea who else may sit out, but it could already be telling if many did.

We'll see if this is finally the solution Canada has been searching for. To me....what happens next summer for the World Cup will be the first real test. The three events this summer are pretty minor...

And I'm still convinced any high level hopes are contingent on having Jamal Murray, Shai Gilgeous Alexander and Kelly Olynyk all playing at once. Maybe throw RJ Barrett (definitley Wiggins) into that grouop and you only need 3 of the 4. The rest are role players.

Also the 2020 NBA Draft is this week. Should see another 4 Canadians drafted (2 in the Top 10) in Shaedon Sharpe, Bennedict Mathurin, Andrew Nembhard, Caleb Houstan. The talent pipeline is not slowing down.

Lol....I know I should have expected this from Canada Basketball and I understand this Qualfier window ins't the most important and is usually a harder one to get the NBA guys (than August), but... of that list of 14 above (our so called "core" of committed players for a 3 year cycle) only six have decided they can attend the first test (on home soil no less!).

16 players in camp ahead of next week FIBA World Cup qualifiers for Canada include a mere 4 NBA players and of the "core 14" only:
                Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
                Nickeil Alexander-Walker
                Kelly Olynyk
                Dwight Powell
                Zach Edey
                Melvin Ejim

The rest come from what's considered the "winter core" thats been playing the in-seaon Qualfiers:
                Kyle Alexander
                Trae Bell-Haynes
                Aaron Best
                Kenny Chery
                Kaza Kajami-Keane
                Conor Morgan
                JV Mukama
                Kassius Robertson
                Phil Scrubb
                Thomas Scrubb

My guess is the 4 NBA guys probaly dont even travel to USVI for the away game.

Due to a variety of injuries, contract concerns and who knows what else, Khem Birch, Lu Dort, RJ Barrett, Oshae Brissett, jamal Murray, Kevin Pangos are all attending camp but won't play this window. Cory Joseph is supposedly exempt from camp (baby due) and no word whatsoever on Dillon Brooks.

Not that this group should have trouble with USVI or DR, but once again Canada Basektball barks loud and then shows up with a whimper....

On the bright side it is critical to have SGA in the mix as I think he is among the 2 most important players for Canada, probably the most important when you consider Jamal Murray's constant injury concerns. And maybe (maybe!) just having the rest of the guys at camp creates some sort of positive benefit. But they need better participation or there is no real point to this "core".
                Last edited by mojo13; 06-24-2022, 09:33 PM.

Comment

If anyone is interested in Canada's current talent pool (Fall 2022) this an excellent and comprehensive deep dive into Canada's Top 50 players plus some honorable mentions.

Now if we could only get them all to show up.

Always welcome the opinions here on the Euro based players. Guys we don't see as much of and may be missing the mark somewhat.

Comment

Bennedict Mathurin looks dynamic. Good piece at 2/3 for Canada going further.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                      Bennedict Mathurin looks dynamic. Good piece at 2/3 for Canada going further.

Yeah it has been an interesting pre-season for the next generation of Canadain players.
                      Mathurin has looked like a potential ROY candidate.
                      Shaedon Sharpe has shown some insane flashes of athletic brilliance, and some good all-around games. I don;t think there is a good path to minutes in Portland though.
                      Josh Primo has a great game for the Spurs last night.
                      Andrew Nembhard looks like he could grab a back up PG role in Indiana.
                      Dalano Banton might have won himself a rotation role in Toronto.
                      Caleb Houstan has had some good moments in Orlando (not sure about him yet thought)
                      Even a a fringe player like Eugene Omoruyi (two-way) has had some fantastic games in OKC and could carve himslef out a role.

Just preseason though and only Mathurin looks like a sure thing.

And still no young NBA calibre bigs coming through the pipeline. Zach Edey (Purdue), Charlse Bediako (Alabama), Fardaws Aimaq (Texas Tech) are on the watchlist though.

Comment

Canada hasnt reigned anything yet.

Comment

Because Canada couldn't get their shit together. I'm talking about pieces.

SGA, Murray
                          Wiggins, Dort, Mathurin
                          Dilon Brooks, RJ Barret
                          Brandon Clarke, Dwight Powell,
                          Chris Boucher, Kelly Olynyk, Khem Birch

I meam SGA, Murray, Wiggins, Brooks, Barret, Dort....Who can field better backcourt other than USA? The answer - nobody.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                            Canada hasnt reigned anything yet.
                            Don't think anyone would argue with you there (other than reigning/raining NBA draft picks over the last decade).

But the potential is intriguing, especially as the prospects keep coming...

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                              Because Canada couldn't get their shit together. I'm talking about pieces.

SGA, Murray
                              Wiggins, Dort, Mathurin
                              Dilon Brooks, RJ Barret
                              Brandon Clarke, Dwight Powell,
                              Chris Boucher, Kelly Olynyk, Khem Birch

I meam SGA, Murray, Wiggins, Brooks, Barret, Dort....Who can field better backcourt other than USA? The answer - nobody.
                              Its not my fault when they are not ready to perform for their home country.

Comment

Canada might have another Jamal Murray / Shai Gilgeous Alexander all-star level player in Bennedict Mathurin.

Bennedict Mathurin is only the fifth NBA player since 1980 to score at least 72 points in his first three career games?and the first since 1995:

Isiah Thomas
                                Dominique Wilkins
                                Michael Jordan
                                Jerry Stackhouse
                                Bennedict Mathurin

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information