Womens

Pot 1: USA, Australia and Spain
    Pot 2: Canada, France and Belgium
    Pot 3: Serbia, China and Japan
    Pot 4: Nigeria, Korea and Puerto Rico

Group A: Korea, Serbia, Canada and Spain
    Group B: Nigeria, Japan, France and USA
    Group C: Australia, Puerto Rico, China and Belgium
    Last edited by Kings; 07-05-2021, 02:58 AM.

What OQT number stands for which OQT tournament?

EDIT: or the pot of a team that qualified through the Olympic tournament will be decided by FIBA rankings maybe, so my question is kinda answered.

Comment

Originally posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
      What OQT number stands for which OQT tournament?

EDIT: or the pot of a team that qualified through the Olympic tournament will be decided by FIBA rankings maybe, so my question is kinda answered.
      O Olympic
      Q Qualifying
      T Tournament
      Last edited by Kings; 02-14-2020, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kings View Post
        O Olympic
        Q Qualifying
        T Tournament
        Great comment

Comment

that so pity that Olimpics were moved for the next year

Comment

looking at 2014,2016,2019 tournament results we can see 5 clear teams that are ahead of the field.

1.Usa 2.Spain 3.Serbia 4.Australia 5.France

all these teams made 2 final fours in 3 tournaments .When you make it twice in 3 tournaments thats not a fluke.

Also Argentina in 2019 and Lithuania in 2014 made one final four appereance thats it.No other nation made final four in last 3 world events.

How power rankings will be effected by on year delay?

I believe Spain and Australia hurts the most from elite group they are primarily leaded by players in their 30+ every extra year counts for them more.Usa and France age wise doesnt change for them olympic will be held in 2020 or 2021.Argentina without Scola (he wll be 41 in Tokyo) isnt the same team,no inside presents at all without last golden generations dinasour.

Who is upcoming team that can make suprise and make final four in 2021 Olympics not counting those 5 elite countries?
            Last edited by Shawshank; 05-03-2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
              looking at 2014,2016,2019 tournament results we can see 5 clear teams that are ahead of the field.

1.Usa 2.Spain 3.Serbia 4.Australia 5.France

all these teams made 2 final fours in 3 tournaments .When you make it twice in 3 tournaments thats not a fluke.

Also Argentina in 2019 and Lithuania in 2014 made one final four appereance thats it.No other nation made final four in last 3 world events.

How power rankings will be effected by on year delay?

I believe Spain and Australia hurts the most from elite group they are primarily leaded by players in their 30+ every extra year counts for them more.Usa and France age wise doesnt change for them olympic will be held in 2020 or 2021.Argentina without Scola (he wll be 41 in Tokyo) isnt the same team,no inside presents at all without last golden generations dinasour.

Who is upcoming team that can make suprise and make final four in 2021 Olympics not counting those 5 elite countries?

Yeah I'm biased but out of those mentioned above no one has the depth of young talent as Canada right now. I wont rehash Canada's depth today, but if we should ever pull it all together it would be pretty interesting to see.

No, you asked for a surprise and I'm here to offer up Nigeria. Already qualified for the Olympics and with some pretty decent NBA talent there sounds to be reinforcements are coming in the form of PG, Spencer Dinwiddie. In his sixth season in the league, the 27-year-old posted career highs of 20.6 points, 6.8 assists and 3.5 rebounds per game and was enjoying what was shaping up to be the best season of his career before the pandemic-enforced halt was called.

PG has been a tragic problem for Nigeria of late and per Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium, Spencer Dinwiddie is in the process of obtaining a Nigerian passport and will join the country's basketball team.

Nigerian team includes NBA players Al-Farouq Aminu, Josh Okogie, Chimezie Metu and former NBA forward Ekpe Udoh. Current Golden State Warriors assistant coach and former Cleveland Cavaliers and Los Angeles Lakers head coach Mike Brown was hired by the national squad in February.

Dinwiddie not only fills a position where D'Tigers have had some trouble recently, but also sends a message -- like the Brown hire -- that Nigeria are going all in for broke in Tokyo and beyond.
              Nigeria are in the process of trying to bag Brooklyn Nets point guard Spencer Dinwiddie, who has no connection to the country. How did this come about?

Perhaps some of Victor Oladipo, Bam Adebayo, OG Anunoby, Jahlil Okafor, and many more with Nigerian connections join as well?

Comment

Canada is nothing stronger than the other few teams that are miles behind USA. Murray is the only difference maker and he played his last FIBA tournament in FIBA U17 World Championship. For me this Canada Team is something like Serbia at last years World Cup, good to beat some scrubs with 150 points difference but when it comes hard on hard...

Comment

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
                  Canada is nothing stronger than the other few teams that are miles behind USA. Murray is the only difference maker and he played his last FIBA tournament in FIBA U17 World Championship. For me this Canada Team is something like Serbia at last years World Cup, good to beat some scrubs with 150 points difference but when it comes hard on hard...
                  I don't disagree with you but the question was who outside of 1.Usa 2.Spain 3.Serbia 4.Australia 5.France (Lith/Arg) could surprise in the Olympics.

I do think Shai Gilgeous Alexander is already at Jamal Murray's level and will soon be widely considered a better player (if is isn't already). SGA is the only Canadian right now, from my perspective, that has a chance of becoming a perennial Top 10 player in the NBA.

We have discussed before Canada's weakness will be experience, chemistry, teamwork etc - but if they can get most of their players to show up (a big, big if) it is a pretty stacked roster.

SGA / Joseph
                  Murray / Brooks
                  Wiggins / Barrett
                  Powell / Clarke
                  Olynyk / Thompson

And another 10-14 NBA/EuroLeague caliber players to fill the holes. Boucher, Lyles, Birch, Ennis, Dort, Stauskas, Pangos, Alexander-Walker, Kabengele, Mulder, Long, Shayok etc.

Canada could still quite easily fail to even Qualify, especial with the NBA schedule change. This I offered up Nigeria and one that could be an interesting surprise (and has already qualified).
                  Last edited by mojo13; 05-05-2020, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
                    Also note that Murray played in the PanAM games for Canada as he was entering Kentucky. He has also attended Team Canada training camps for the WC Qualifiers and the WC but was held out due to injury (same with Brooks, Barrett, Powell, Olynyk and many others)

Comment

To me both SGA and Barret are more important pieces for Canada in a long run than Murray, and if Wiggins somehow settle in, that's huge bunch, knowing that other pieces all are NBA quality. First 2 have length, IQ and more of an international mind set which might be huge for Canada. Murray can be Canada's Patty Mills without the sense of what's FIBA ball is, I have a feeling. The same goes for Wiggins, but Wiggins also brings athleticism and ability to control wider areas defensively, ect. Canada is a basketball farm now, they have prospects even going further. Personally, I think they have clearly highest star players quality after USA, nor even Serbia, France are in this category. But we all know Canada's issues, so it's a question whenever it will ever stick together.
                      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                      Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I don't consider Barrett a difference maker, Brooks is a very interesting player, it has to be seen if he can get a volume scorer in international rules. For SGA - huge talent, incredible athleticism but nothing serious has been seen from him. Regular season. That's it. Next playoffs will be interesting to see. And personally I think for FIBA basketball Murray a much more dangerous player for opponents than SGA. But Murray is de facto no point guard, he's a pure scorer. Would be interesting to see a combo-guard lineup with SGA - Murray - Wiggins even I would pick Joseph over SGA in FIBA.

To me Canada is leveled with 5-6 other teams but nothing stronger. I stay with this point until they prove me wrong. Of course, as every basketball fan, I would love to see them completed as I love to see every team completed at all competitions.

For me there's a quality gap between guards and swingmen/wing positions and high positions PF/C. I am really curious about Canada's future. They run under the radar obviously because they are never completed.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                          I don't disagree with you but the question was who outside of 1.Usa 2.Spain 3.Serbia 4.Australia 5.France (Lith/Arg) could surprise in the Olympics.

I do think Shai Gilgeous Alexander is already at Jamal Murray's level and will soon be widely considered a better player (if is isn't already). SGA is the only Canadian right now, from my perspective, that has a chance of becoming a perennial Top 10 player in the NBA.

We have discussed before Canada's weakness will be experience, chemistry, teamwork etc - but if they can get most of their players to show up (a big, big if) it is a pretty stacked roster.

SGA / Joseph
                          Murray / Brooks
                          Wiggins / Barrett
                          Powell / Clarke
                          Olynyk / Thompson

And another 10-14 NBA/EuroLeague caliber players to fill the holes. Boucher, Lyles, Birch, Ennis, Dort, Stauskas, Pangos, Alexander-Walker, Kabengele, Mulder, Long, Shayok etc.

Canada could still quite easily fail to even Qualify, especial with the NBA schedule change. This I offered up Nigeria and one that could be an interesting surprise (and has already qualified).
                          lets say Canada brings all that team is that team better than Usa 2019 team? I doubt that and we all saw even Usa cant win " just on tallent" with top40,top 50 nba level players with no fiba experience.

Even Usa needs some mature professionals real nba stars Durants/Thompsons/Irvings cards that could take over the game super tallented youngsters will not do that.If you dont have such top15 nba player on your roster and have no chemistry between players only good nba players that still doesnt promise you anything Usa 2019 failure shown that.

its hard to beat those 5-6 elite teams that have been together for years and is playoofs tested teams.

I still feel big favourites making semifinal in Tokyo is Usa and 3 from Spain/Serbia/Australia/France.

Canada until they gonna show world of basketball that they can win playoofs game against other top 10 world team its hard for me to take them seriuosly as medal contender . Canada will need more time and more tournaments to be ready to win playoofs games and find their group of leaders that will represent NT 4-5 years run.

I would look somewhere to nations who atleats where in playoofs searching for cinderella suprise story .That before was beat by those top 5 atleats they were already in playoofs type battles and knows what is like to face those elite teams that really counts for upcomming tournaments.

watching basketball for 20+ years its very rare that new group of players came and win playoofs games in fiba in their first run.

Ofcourse unless you are usa and bring like top 5 players of entire world Usually its process and players need to get beat and got ass kicked ...learn from that and comeback stronger.
                          Last edited by Shawshank; 05-05-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Agree for the most part but that 2019 USA WC team had easily enough talent to dominate that tournament. But they didn't this time as most everything else broke the wrong way.

This time around they had poor preparation, poor moral (everyone that quit on them leading up), poor coaching, poor leadership, poor tactics, poor roster composition all leading to poor chemistry. A little more in their favor with a few of these things and they would have surprised no one with a gold medal performance.

Things can break the other way - good coaching, pieces fit well, good moral, good tactics all coming together with good chemistry combined with superior talent. To me that can make up for lack of experience. Not saying it is bound to happen, but it wouldn't be surprising to see a Canadian team with most of their best talent all come together and make a medal run. They'll never be as talented as the USA, that is clear - but perhaps the other inputs break in opposite direction (they did in the U19 WCs).

I do think you under-appreciate Shai Gilgeous Alexander and suggest you keep an eye on him. He was OKCs (a solid playoff team) leading scorer already this year - not Gallinari, nor Schroder nor CP3. He will be an Allstar and is a legitimate candidate to make an All-NBA team. I can not confidently say that about any other Canadian. To me it is too early to tell with RJ Barrett (19), he may be nothing more than an above average NBA player, but SGA (21) is clearly something special.
                            Last edited by mojo13; 05-05-2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

usa 2019 thats was by far weakest usa team i have seen since nba era started.

In 2019 i didnt see overhelming tallent advantage like it was before in other tournaments.It wasnt even big sensation that very good matured nba players like Gobert,Fournier,Batum will have no fear what so over playing youngster Usa send like Tatum,D.Mitchell,Turner.

When Greece beat Usa in 2006 they were celebrating like winning world war 3 because they knew they can win one in 10 games againts that team.France was happy ,but not jumping like crazy,some of those France players would make such Usa team .Im sure that France 2019 would win more than once against that Usa 2019 in 10 games.

Durant 2010, Harden,Curry,Irving 2014 thats literally was future nba mvps upcomming thats was making huge diffence in those past tournaments. I dont talk about Olympics those USA teams were loaded half of the team was with players like that.

I dont see a single player in 2019 usa team that can win MVP one day.Tatum will be good all star ,but not MVP calibre star.

If such lineup 2019 usa tallent struglled in WC ,so you can be sure similiar level team would struggle in Olympics even more.In Olympics all best international players show up unless injury.In WC thats not the case.

No coach can make diffrence in one month in summer with tottaly new group what other NT builts chemistry wise in 4-7years,some even 10+ years.

Usa team will never had those pluses over other NT. Similiar story can happen to Canada nba players in first few years when they will play together.

USA prepares, but not on the level other international team prepares in details.Usa rely on tallent more at the end of the day. But when that tallent was not so overhelmingly better they lost to better prepared and way more experienced international team that also had bunch of nba players too.
                              Last edited by Shawshank; 05-05-2020, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information