Eurobasket 2022 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
    Maybe you are a little to overconfident about Turkish players' quality. I wouldn't go so far to call Serbia B a favourite against Netherland. Not by any means.
    You should then because a Serbia B is massively favourized against a NL NT.

I am not upset about the loss but rather about how we lost.

Comment

btw.
      Top 5 attendances in the FIBA EuroBasket 2021 Qualifiers, Gameday 1:

1. 11,000 – POL v ISR at the Arena Gliwice in Gliwice, Poland
      2. 10,100 – LAT v BIH at the Arena Riga in Riga, Latvia
      3. 9,563 – TUR v NED at the Ankara Arena in Ankara, Turkey
      4. 7,099 – GEO v SUI at the Sports Palace Tbilisi in Tbilisi, Georgia
      5. 6,770 – FIN v SRB at the Espoo Metro Arena in Espoo, Finland

our game was sold out as well (capacity of Dražen Petrović hall is around 5500), and it was against Sweden, not against some superpower.
      how to explain that.
      teams without euroleague or NBA players and yet, arenas are sold out?
      this just proves that FIBA system is not entirely wrong and that there is a huge interest for national team games all around europe.
      "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Its a total blowout if this system kicks out some bb power in europe. WC 19 was played without Latvia, Slovenia and Croatia. It makes qualifiers maybe more interesting but the game and the tournament itself will suffer at last.

Comment

Serbia lost with Teodosic, Raduljica and some Eurocup players in Estonia and it wasn't surprising as their team plays together for years and improves steadily. For me this Turkish team lacks a lot and is nothing special, I saw Netherlands three times in WC qualifiers and they played really good.

I agree with Toruko that teams like Latvia suffer the most as they have tremendous 6-7 players but they all have not the chance to participate and the following 15 are way worse. Other countries can get their shit together and at least qualify. I see absolutely no sense in this modus. It would be great to have all this sold out arenas when the best players play in a summer round-robbing tournament (4 teams for example in Estonia played in 3 days). Better for everyone.

Comment

Latvia missed not just NBA and Euroleague players but also some who actually could play like Jakovičs, Siliņš, Peiners etc., some were simply injured while others had unconvincing excuses why there are not available, but that is Latvian problem, not ours.

I'm suprised with so many old faces in qualifications, Blums is still Latvian guard, Erden is still Turkey C and Serbia returned washed Novica Velickovic. I understand small nations but there are more than 80 milions of people in Turkey, they invest so much money in basketball, and still who is their C in the 2020? Good old Semih Erden
            Due to his elegance and imagination, Mirza Delibasic was one of the continent's greatest ever players.

Comment

Originally posted by BiHBasket View Post
              Latvia missed not just NBA and Euroleague players but also some who actually could play like Jakovičs, Siliņš, Peiners etc., some were simply injured while others had unconvincing excuses why there are not available, but that is Latvian problem, not ours.

I'm suprised with so many old faces in qualifications, Blums is still Latvian guard, Erden is still Turkey C and Serbia returned washed Novica Velickovic. I understand small nations but there are more than 80 milions of people in Turkey, they invest so much money in basketball, and still who is their C in the 2020? Good old Semih Erden
              The critics are understandable. Its a disgrace actually. All bigs from 95-97 took the big money and spent their time without playing for years except one guy. Erden is with his motivation worse than Embiid.

Lost Ömer Asik to a desease when he was 31
              Enes Kanter to politics
              His brother Kerem Kanter who plays in Badalona

Emircan Kosut 95 isnt playing bb anymore
              Egemen Güven 96 U18 MVP is a shadow of himself
              Ege Arar is an unskilled big but he is playing 8-10 minutes
              Ayberk Olmaz 96 has the same weight when he was in U20

All those bigs got more money that they deserved and are very cozy.

The options right now are:

Semih Erden (who should retire at least from the nt)
              Sertac Sanli (maybe the worst big that turkey ever produced but he plays Euroleague)
              Ömer Yurtseven 98 (NCAA late first round or start second round draftee)
              Berke Atar 99 (who is at least a good offensive big) but also very suspicious due to his character.

but there is still hope.
              There are 2 guys with clear NBA potential.

Alperen Sengün 2002 born PF/ Center (Very skilled big and the future big of Turkey)
              Adem Bona (Clint Capella Giannis mix nigerian rooted 2003 born big)

I think these two guys will take over in the future. These two and Tibet Görener. If they fail i am going to quit my hopes for the turkish nt.

Comment

Originally posted by Picek View Post
                btw.
                Top 5 attendances in the FIBA EuroBasket 2021 Qualifiers, Gameday 1:

1. 11,000 – POL v ISR at the Arena Gliwice in Gliwice, Poland
                2. 10,100 – LAT v BIH at the Arena Riga in Riga, Latvia
                3. 9,563 – TUR v NED at the Ankara Arena in Ankara, Turkey
                4. 7,099 – GEO v SUI at the Sports Palace Tbilisi in Tbilisi, Georgia
                5. 6,770 – FIN v SRB at the Espoo Metro Arena in Espoo, Finland

our game was sold out as well (capacity of Dražen Petrović hall is around 5500), and it was against Sweden, not against some superpower.
                how to explain that.
                teams without euroleague or NBA players and yet, arenas are sold out?
                this just proves that FIBA system is not entirely wrong and that there is a huge interest for national team games all around europe.
                I am thinking about going to watch the Netherlands vs Croatia tomorrow. It's a joy to be able to see ones national team as well as visiting national teams throughout the year. It would be even more amazing to see a full Croatia squad.

So I agree with FIBA. The system of competition is good. FIBA supports the National teams. And at the end of the day, the national teams are the main promotors of basketball. But they need to find solutions concerning the Euroleague and the NBA. These organisations should understand that the profit they generate eventually stems from the national teams. It would be amazing if the NBA and the EL can create two windows during the year for national team play. Or at least, the NBA should be able to release its international NBA players for a week or so during regular season. And the EL could have a break in its calendar. But instead, they want more games. They should be able to find a competition format which allows for a few less games and more breaks in the calendar.
                PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Some interesting results today Serbia and Spain losing, unlike the World Cup qualifiers though with 3/4 of the teams qualifying there's no real reason for concern, at least not yet.

Out of the actual powers the only one I'm actually worried for is Slovenia. They won today but were actually trailing Austria going into the 4th while at home.
                  Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                    Some interesting results today Serbia and Spain losing, unlike the World Cup qualifiers though with 3/4 of the teams qualifying there's no real reason for concern, at least not yet.

Out of the actual powers the only one I'm actually worried for is Slovenia. They won today but were actually trailing Austria going into the 4th while at home.
                    Serbia lost deserved. Great game of Georgia. They are better than this Serbian team and won maybe tougher than they should as they completely slept first 5min. when we went up by 13 out of nothing.

Good fight from our boys. Jaramaz is a real candidate for OQT. Rest unfortunately at least now not even close.

PS: Georgia is a great team. Well coached and organized with a naturalized player that makes them much better than they are even without him.

Comment

Finland is one of the teams suffering a lot of Euroleague players not being able to play in most of the games. With the absence of Koponen Finland is much weaker as Finland doesn't have the depth to replace such players.

Luckily we had Sasu Salin on fire tonight carrying Finland to a thriller win over Switzerland which was played in Switzerland also. Finland trailed the game for 38 minutes and when there was two minutes left in the game Finland was leading for the first time during the game and won the game.

Poor Switzerland just can't win games. Three days ago Switzerland lost after an OT against Georgia and now this. It was really crazy how Finland won today's game after the first half when Finland was trailing for about 17 points and the team was looking like a complete mess. Also Finland was landing their FG 6/36 I believe on the first half against a bad defense. Every open shot missed behind the three point line basically or near the basket. Nothing went in, never seen something like that from Finland that relies on their good shooting against a team that didn't even defend well.

Comment

Originally posted by Liha View Post
                        Finland is one of the teams suffering a lot of Euroleague players not being able to play in most of the games. With the absence of Koponen Finland is much weaker as Finland doesn't have the depth to replace such players.

Luckily we had Sasu Salin on fire tonight carrying Finland to a thriller win over Switzerland which was played in Switzerland also. Finland trailed the game for 38 minutes and when there was two minutes left in the game Finland was leading for the first time during the game and won the game.

Poor Switzerland just can't win games. Three days ago Switzerland lost after an OT against Georgia and now this. It was really crazy how Finland won today's game after the first half when Finland was trailing for about 17 points and the team was looking like a complete mess. Also Finland was landing their FG 6/36 I believe on the first half against a bad defense. Every open shot missed behind the three point line basically or near the basket. Nothing went in, never seen something like that from Finland that relies on their good shooting against a team that didn't even defend well.
                        Yes, bad shooting in first half, much better in second. But bigs are very, very serious problem for this team. Also, young players and their development, where is Jantunen? So, what are the options under the basket? Eternal Tuukka Kotti who isn't center, Madsen, Murphey, who else?

Comment

Originally posted by markkanen View Post
                          Also, young players and their development, where is Jantunen?
                          Overseas playing college ball, so he understandably wasn't available.

That being said, we are woefully thin for 4/5 slots. One of the primary tasks for Dettmann and his adjutants should be to find some fresh blood for the big end. It's time for Kotti to retire, and with E.Murphy injured (and Markkanen and Jantunen across the pond), the only big guy worth something we had in this window was Madsen. Oh well, a win is a win, and the good news is that there's the summer between now and the next window, so hopefully they'll take the opportunity to try out some new faces. (Dolenc?)

Comment

Originally posted by markkanen View Post
                            Yes, bad shooting in first half, much better in second. But bigs are very, very serious problem for this team. Also, young players and their development, where is Jantunen? So, what are the options under the basket? Eternal Tuukka Kotti who isn't center, Madsen, Murphey, who else?
                            You are for sure right about the problem with bigs. We need some years to basically survive and some how make it to Euro basket and so on and once we get some returnees from overseas like Pöllä or if Jantunen comes to Europe instead of NBA, things will become a bit easier. I do like Madsen though, but we can't rely on him being our starting position 5 player in my opinion.

Hopefully some of the non bigs will developed well and be in our use in couple of years as well such as Tahvanainen and Elias Valtonen.

Comment

No Latvia in the Eurobasket 2021, all the best players in their prime will likely miss the biggest tournament of their life, just thanks to FIBA, they screwed the Latvian golden generation, as I root for them and have a lot of friends from that small Nation, it hurts very much.

If they do not make it, it will be a very big loss for basketball they could be a top 4 team in my opinion if all the best are available.

Looking at their roster for these games if all the best would be available maybe 2 players would make the roster from this current squad, Mejeris and Zagars or Skele.

Porzingis, Bertans brother, Strelnieks, Kurucs, Pasecniks, Smits, Lomazs, Peiners, Timma so much potential.

Comment

From all teams I've watched in this qualifiers Turkey is the by far biggest disappointment. Not because of the losses but because like Toruko said because of lack of everything. Looks really really bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information