Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 170

Thread: Euroleague Regular Season: Week 24

  1. #141
    Senior Member MikeMaccabiFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,550
    Country: Israel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen View Post
    I couldn't believe the amount of open 3's Fener missed. But still, Fener played against a hospital today and managed to lose. All credit for the "warrior" team this year MACCABI. Still, Sfairo is pushing the players into injury it seems. So many can't just be attributed to bad luck. He did the same to Oly two seasons in a row.
    We already discussed it, and I still don't buy it.
    Let's look on injuries:
    Casspi - tendon problem in his knee, happens over years and years - not Sfairopoulos fault,
    Black - knee problem, similar to Casspi's - not Sfairopoulos fault,
    Diba (pectoral muscle tear) and first injury of Wolters (hip muscle strain) - happened during game (brutal defence by Bayern) - not Sfairopoulos fault,
    Zussman - finger cracked during the game with Maccabi Haifa - not Sfairopoulos fault,
    Wilbekin, Jackson, Acy (last game) - sprained ankles, during game or practice (Jackson) - hardly Sfairopoulos fault.
    Second injury of Wolters (dislocated shoulder) - as I recall during the game too. How Sfairopolous did it???

    Not convinced, sorry.

    P.S. I dislocated shoulder in my youth - not funny.
    Yalla Maccabi!!!

    Save English, ban macabeo....

  2. #142
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    75
    Country: UK

    Default

    Well, obviously he didn't walk up to Zoosman and stomped his toe...
    But there is no doubt that the body's natural resistance to damage is greatly reduced under strain.

    That being said, I don't think it's so much Sfero's fault.
    Except some stupid games where he played Willbekin a lot for no reason, he doesn't put more strain on the players than he needs.

    I think there must be something wrong in the physical prep - I am not sure Regev Fanan was chosen strictly for his professional qualifications
    *77----*81----*01----*04----*05----*14
    Where there's Wilbekin, there's a way!

  3. #143
    Senior Member janketa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,453

    Default

    One of the worst boxing out in the history belongs to Thomas and Fener. Second place is Berlin final 2016, Fener too.
    Lucky us.

  4. #144
    Senior Member janketa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,453

    Default

    Efes is the first team to qualify for the play off. Congratulations!!

  5. #145
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,923
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen View Post
    Many says he's been wrongly used and should be fed more
    You've ever seen him post-up?

  6. #146
    Senior Member R1ou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,217
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen View Post
    Well Calathes and Sloukas is all the aces we have at pg. Thankfully they are still young and can play for another 3-4 years until someone else props up. Dorsey will be part of the set up for sure as long as he stays in Europe. There's nothing really available apart from them. The youngsters we have at pg are really weak at the moment. Arsenopoulos and Rogavopoulos are the biggest talents we have at the moment but they are still too raw. We're spoiled for choice.

    As things stand the NT this summer should look like:

    PG Calathes, Sloukas, Mantzaris (He's playing well for Promitheas)
    SG Dorsey, Larentzakis, Pappas (Skourtopoulos hates his guts and Pappas his, calling him an idiot during a game last year but Pitino will call him up)
    SF Papapetrou, Papanikolaou, Thanasis, Giannis*
    PF Printezis, Mitoglou, Agravanis
    C Papagiannis, Auguste.

    *If the Bucks make the finals, he will miss the OQ.
    Replace Koufos with Auguste. Regarding Calathes he considers retiring after this summer but that was before Pitino's arrivement.
    1997 - 2012 - 2013

  7. #147
    Senior Member EverGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Republic of Panathinaikos
    Posts
    4,339

    Default

    Calathes should be venerated. He's being playing for free for Greece over 10 years. On the other hand you have American's being paid hundreds of thousands and millions to play for NT's.

    I don't want Koufos anywhere near the team. As Bourousis said about some players "They have to want to play for the NT. We can't be begging them every summer". F*ck Koufos.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

    Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

    Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

    When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

  8. #148
    Senior Member arelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    794
    Country: Israel

    Default

    LOL its so funny that fener fans complain about the refs when Maccabi played with their 5th and 6th line-up.
    No Wilbekin, No Zoosman, No Black, No Casspi, No John D, No Wolters and also Acy got injured in the 3rd quarter and didnt comeback to play.
    Best European Basketball Highlights Channel - AGHighlights
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJ..._as=subscriber

  9. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    522
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    You've ever seen him post-up?
    In national team he does it regularly and very good. That's one of his fortes. You remember the dream shake that he sold to Udoh in the final game? He has excellent post moves (up and under, finishing above both shoulders, hook a little less developed) but as written above he is primarily there to rebound and I really don't see something which makes im that special in Olympiakos system, he should prove. The problems with players like him is that they are not complementary with modern basketball in a short term. Same goes for loads of European bigs and that trend is even going further and further in Europe, not just overseas.

    Milutinov is same age as Jokic and was during youth always seen as the better player from the two, he is not crap but surely not Olajuwon. Generally we have a huge center problem in Europe. If you ask me even Gobert is nothing special but I know that many won't agree.

    Personally I don't like the trend but it's simply the way it goes, in Serbia it's visible also in youth systems of the clubs. This kind of players are born in the wrong period.

  10. #150
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,575
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen View Post
    Calathes should be venerated. He's being playing for free for Greece over 10 years. On the other hand you have American's being paid hundreds of thousands and millions to play for NT's.

    I don't want Koufos anywhere near the team. As Bourousis said about some players "They have to want to play for the NT. We can't be begging them every summer". F*ck Koufos.
    Every greek should be thankful to calathes but he has been carrying PAO the whole season AND the NT. He is about to finish his 31. This is not easy to maintain

  11. #151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,592
    Country: Greece

    Default

    its really sad they way we lost the matches against valencia and red star. if you want the HCA you must win game like these. and i can accept that we have bad days and lose matches like the one in spain,but i cant accept losing matches the way we lost in serbia. we could have been even closer to the 4th spot,while csska was losing everything this week. next 4 games against barcelona (home),real(away) and olympiakos (away) and csska(home) will show us what we should expect. 3/4 is what we need and we will still be in the race for the 4th spot. 2/4 meh,1/4 bad,0/4 terrible cause after these 4 we visit fenerbahce. i dont think we will be in danger for the playoffs even if we lose all 5 games,but should not rely on that

    the break right now is good for us. he have been elimited from cup,so we only have match in the meantime against aris (this weekend is all star weekend in greece,so no matches either). calathes is not playing really well (mostly making many turnovers) and papapetrou has a minor njury and will heal until barcelona. these 2 are the most crucial players in the team. i hope we improve our defence until that time cause with calathes in medium form,we are not that good offensively either,so we cant win just by scoring more than the opponents do
    Sasa Pukl for MVP

  12. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,592
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_black_planet View Post
    Wtf a Pana's fan praising Milutinov and an Oly fan burying him, what kind of surrealism is that??
    not for long,he has already agreed with csska,so thats the reason you will ready many comments like this in the future from olympiakos fans. its their typical reaction to players leaving for bigger teams (plus they will get paid and not promised to get paid but never do,like olympiakos does)
    Sasa Pukl for MVP

  13. #153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,592
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen View Post
    Well Calathes and Sloukas is all the aces we have at pg. Thankfully they are still young and can play for another 3-4 years until someone else props up. Dorsey will be part of the set up for sure as long as he stays in Europe. There's nothing really available apart from them. The youngsters we have at pg are really weak at the moment. Arsenopoulos and Rogavopoulos are the biggest talents we have at the moment but they are still too raw. We're spoiled for choice.

    As things stand the NT this summer should look like:

    PG Calathes, Sloukas, Mantzaris (He's playing well for Promitheas)
    SG Dorsey, Larentzakis, Pappas (Skourtopoulos hates his guts and Pappas his, calling him an idiot during a game last year but Pitino will call him up)
    SF Papapetrou, Papanikolaou, Thanasis, Giannis*
    PF Printezis, Mitoglou, Agravanis
    C Papagiannis, Auguste.

    *If the Bucks make the finals, he will miss the OQ.
    there is no way that mantzaris will be in the squad. maybe gikas,maybe katsivelis,maybe bochoridis,even calling kalaitzakis is more probable than mantzaris). plus we cant have both dorsey and auguste. i thought that as well,but i found out that both of them are considered as naturalized,even though they have at least one greek relative.
    Sasa Pukl for MVP

  14. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,575
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saras View Post
    there is no way that mantzaris will be in the squad. maybe gikas,maybe katsivelis,maybe bochoridis,even calling kalaitzakis is more probable than mantzaris). plus we cant have both dorsey and auguste. i thought that as well,but i found out that both of them are considered as naturalized,even though they have at least one greek relative.
    Its not a thing of having greek relatives. What counts is when you get the passport if you are not born in that country that you want to play. They had to get the passports before they became 16.

  15. #155
    Senior Member Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,178

    Default

    Coach Messina said on the Euroleague podcast that success for Milano this season would be making the playoffs, and i think we'd all agree with that. But this is not a young team, most of their key players are over 30. Age wise it's a "win now" team and yet their aspirations are modest. It isn't like they're bringing along some young players either. Will be interesting to see what they do in the summer.

  16. #156
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    522
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    I read today he wants to sign Belinelli in summer lol. Lost in translation, room and space completely.

  17. #157
    Senior Member MikeMaccabiFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,550
    Country: Israel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DraxDomax View Post
    Well, obviously he didn't walk up to Zoosman and stomped his toe...
    But there is no doubt that the body's natural resistance to damage is greatly reduced under strain.

    That being said, I don't think it's so much Sfero's fault.
    Except some stupid games where he played Willbekin a lot for no reason, he doesn't put more strain on the players than he needs.

    I think there must be something wrong in the physical prep - I am not sure Regev Fanan was chosen strictly for his professional qualifications
    I agree that physical prep trainer is directly responsible for amount of injuries during the season, as well as team doctor. I think that many of 2004-2006 team's results were also thanks to Avi Kovalski, who kept them healthy. And Dr. Teddy Finkelstein, R.I.P.
    And yes, not Regev Fanan, nor Nicola, for that matter, are there for their professional qualifications, even though Vujcic started to get better with last deal with Wulbekin.

    But all this has nothing to do with Sfairopoulos.

    Now, I hope Maccabi, which, fortunately, eliminated from the Israeli cup, will play two next games in Israeli league - Hapoel Beer Sheva and Rishon, with as less major players as possible and let Wilbekin, Acy, and Jackson to heal.
    Last edited by MikeMaccabiFan; 02-08-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    Yalla Maccabi!!!

    Save English, ban macabeo....

  18. #158
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    798
    Country: Cyprus

    Default

    Israeli fans didn't know sferopoulos till this year, the truth is that he faces a lot of injuries because he always demands the 200% of the player's potential. It happens every year.

    The point is that he is also a motivator and a meritocratic coach, so the players don't protest and they follow him.

    Injuries are the price to pay for all this. I think it's worth the risk. I strongly prefer a tough coach who demands a lot and wins games even with a restricted roster to a soft one like Spahija who isn't able to teach a single defensive strategy.

  19. #159
    Senior Member MikeMaccabiFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,550
    Country: Israel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arelg View Post
    LOL its so funny that fener fans complain about the refs when Maccabi played with their 5th and 6th line-up.
    No Wilbekin, No Zoosman, No Black, No Casspi, No John D, No Wolters and also Acy got injured in the 3rd quarter and didnt comeback to play.
    Especially when Maccabi got 11 free throws as opposed to 22 of Fener...Two last ones of Fener (Avdija's non-existing foul on Sloukas), were just ridiculuos.
    Yalla Maccabi!!!

    Save English, ban macabeo....

  20. #160
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,923
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    In national team he does it regularly and very good.
    Unless you're talking about being on the bench looking bored, you're wrong. Maybe you're thinking of a different player.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •