The Decline of Traditional Big Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Decline of Traditional Big Man

Let's discuss the turning point. It's obvious than ever, traditional bigs nearly declined from elite. Do you love it or hate it?

Here's my take on it. I love post game, I loved how Sabonis, Shaq, P. Ewing, Duncan dominated the paint, I grew up watching them. There's less post game now. But there's common misconception with these changes. It's not like post game will extinct, there will be bigs who post ups and maybe even post up alone (even if shooting will be at high demand), but they will be forced, like you do it or die, to play flexible D, guarding all the half court (switching, stepping out, ect). People tend to confuse the demand of shooting as the main and necessary condition in position - less era, but it lies at defensive end. You either can guard perimeter as a big, or not. Another thing, not only dominant, but agile bigs will survive, but we also get to see more wings and guards posting up. At first, it's weird, but you get to see more skilled and more mobile player to post up. Let's agree we all enjoyed Jordan's and Kobe's post game in the mid rage area, that was extremely beautiful. So, yeah, it's a loss to see less post ups from bigs, but it won't extinct completely, and we get to watch smaller, more skilled players post up more.
    Another thing, new trends, NBA getting softer and taking down hand check rule, has something to do with players getting injured. I kinda can justify, let's agree most injuries happen in the paint, into contact, I love contact BB and love that EL is tougher than NBA, but one of my favourite players in Kleiza and D-Mo screwed their careers because of back injuries. Thus I justify NBA getting softer and more skilled, rather than tougher and less skilled.
    Lastly, I agree with Barkley, that new trend a bit overdoing with forcing bigs to shoot threes. Dirk, KD were extremely good shooters, like super standouts, but current bigs do not shoot the ball well. Towns last 2 seasons shoots 34%, 36.7%, Embiid 30%, 32%, Porzingis this season 34%, Jokic 32%, A.Davis 30%. So it's not like bigs now suddenly shoots like guards, there's only few like that. IMO, the key of the trend is that bigs are agile and can move their ass at D, they can shoot a little bit more, but that shouldn't be overestimated, and also (very important) they can play within the flow more than ever, like putting the ball on the floor, passing the ball, facilitating.

So that's my take, I'm more position-less optimist than pessimist, I think it's great not to see slow center standing in the paint all game long, and to see extremely agile and mobile team D is a great fun, and to watch more skilled bigs is fun too. Just 7 footers shouldn't get crazy with shooting, specially when you do it with 30%.

Here's the fun series of famous players and BB people talking on the decline of the big men in the NBA -

▶️Watch every Big Man interview HERE: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn3nHXu50t5w-XKMJ4jgmYtbSm-PsQLomMark Cuban sits down for an exclusive interview...
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
    Let's discuss the turning point. It's obvious than ever, traditional bigs nearly declined from elite. Do you love it or hate it?

Here's my take on it. I love post game, I loved how Sabonis, Shaq, P. Ewing, Duncan dominated the paint, I grew up watching them. There's less post game now. But there's common misconception with these changes. It's not like post game will extinct, there will be bigs who post ups and maybe even post up alone (even if shooting will be at high demand), but they will be forced, like you do it or die, to play flexible D, guarding all the half court (switching, stepping out, ect). People tend to confuse the demand of shooting as the main and necessary condition in position - less era, but it lies at defensive end. You either can guard perimeter as a big, or not. Another thing, not only dominant, but agile bigs will survive, but we also get to see more wings and guards posting up. At first, it's weird, but you get to see more skilled and more mobile player to post up. Let's agree we all enjoyed Jordan's and Kobe's post game in the mid rage area, that was extremely beautiful. So, yeah, it's a loss to see less post ups from bigs, but it won't extinct completely, and we get to watch smaller, more skilled players post up more.
    Another thing, new trends, NBA getting softer and taking down hand check rule, has something to do with players getting injured. I kinda can justify, let's agree most injuries happen in the paint, into contact, I love contact BB and love that EL is tougher than NBA, but one of my favourite players in Kleiza and D-Mo screwed their careers because of back injuries. Thus I justify NBA getting softer and more skilled, rather than tougher and less skilled.
    Lastly, I agree with Barkley, that new trend a bit overdoing with forcing bigs to shoot threes. Dirk, KD were extremely good shooters, like super standouts, but current bigs do not shoot the ball well. Towns last 2 seasons shoots 34%, 36.7%, Embiid 30%, 32%, Porzingis this season 34%, Jokic 32%, A.Davis 30%. So it's not like bigs now suddenly shoots like guards, there's only few like that. IMO, the key of the trend is that bigs are agile and can move their ass at D, they can shoot a little bit more, but that shouldn't be overestimated, and also (very important) they can play within the flow more than ever, like putting the ball on the floor, passing the ball, facilitating.

So that's my take, I'm more position-less optimist than pessimist, I think it's great not to see slow center standing in the paint all game long, and to see extremely agile and mobile team D is a great fun, and to watch more skilled bigs is fun too. Just 7 footers shouldn't get crazy with shooting, specially when you do it with 30%.

Here's the fun series of famous players and BB people talking on the decline of the big men in the NBA -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH_89fZMm_c
    Not much to disagree with... It much depends on the solutions a team has within the roster... The merge of players like Giannis or AD surely makes the need of a "traditional center" less vital, but surely a second big is always needed into the roster... The ideal would of course be if a team can have 2xGiannis, or 2xADs on the roster, then there would be no need for a "traditional" center at all... But as long as there's only one Giannis in the Bucks, one AD in the Lakers or one J.Jackson Jr. with the Grizzlies, there will still be needed to add a Lopez or a Valanciounas next to him...

Comment

It is the result of the game being played by players who wants to play their game. Before, if you're 7' and above, the tendency is they will think I can only do low posts but today, the bigs are becoming more flexible since they also want to play high posts or even 3 pointers.

Comment

For example, a DVD player or Sky box. Rather than dealing with a full working framework, one can design OpenELEC and introduce the bundles required to transform it into a cross breed media focus. OpenELEC is intended to top media server tools be easy to introduce, oversee and use, making it more like running a set-top box than an out and out PC.

Comment

Yes I agree.
          "players who wants to play their game"
          Do you think you are a pro NBA fan? So you have to be able to pass this NBA quiz
          My Score was 90%

Comment

When You said top centers of all time it will be

Wilt,Russel,Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq,Ewing,Robinson,Moses Malone,Duncan(If you consider).

They are post up players. They are not taking threes.

But they are not a slow one dimensional bigs. They are very versatile and agile too. But they focus more inside.

That is what Shaq and Barkley is saying. You are taking away your height advantage if you shoot a lot of Threes.

If you are as a shooter as KD, fine you can take a ton of 3s. But if not. Take limited shots. Maybe 3-4 attempts iutside.

Dirk Nowitzki is a very good outside shooter. But he focused his game inside and post ups.

Imagine Embiid shooting 10 3s in a single game. I cannot recall Dirk did that.

But yeah. Big men now must be more faster and versatile. But I think they must not take out their advantage especially in the post

Comment

Originally posted by Miasmakapl View Post
              It is the result of the game being played by players who wants to play their game. Before, if you're 7' and above, the tendency is they will think I can only do low posts but today, the bigs are becoming more flexible since they also want to play high posts or even 3 pointers.
              But as a result no one is mastering the post ups anymore. (Except a few exceptions)

Comment

Agreed, post ups are pretty much dead
                https://ballamazingly.com/

Comment

A big that hits the 3, and spreads the floor for guards has taken over.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information