Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The future potential power rankings in the NBA for the following decade...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meaning that you would take Valanciunas as non ball-dominant player in front of Jokic who needs ball in his hands to pair with Giannis doesn't make Jonas necessarily better. Pairing Giannis with Vucevic is de facto the same like pairing him with Jokic, maybe little less. Generally this perception that Jokic is slow, weak, bad defender has been totally dismantled in last years playoffs. The issue with Denver isn't even their first 5 but their bench that really is a lot weaker than last year. Green, as I personally expected, is a player that could interestingly fill up in the spot of Grant, differently but still. I watched some Denver games this year and all I can say is that he looks better than ever. And I am pretty sure his performances will rise as playoffs come nearer. Core of Murray - Jokic - MPJ is a core to build around, next year when Harris' contract runs out Denver has some options to go for a shooter at SG which is besides wing-defense their key problem.

I am curious about Giannis playoff performance this year. As far as I have seen so far his shot still is struggling and this will be the KO factor for him and the Bucks in the upcoming playoff periods. A lot of burden on his shoulders. Personally I think he has a lot of upside in that direction but I wouldn't bet my house on it. Totally open. I remember when you've posted that Giannis would carry Denver in the series against the Lakers. I asked myself why he didn't do it at Bucks vs. Miami that have nominally a team that is nothing worse if not even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
      Meaning that you would take Valanciunas as non ball-dominant player in front of Jokic who needs ball in his hands to pair with Giannis doesn't make Jonas necessarily better. Pairing Giannis with Vucevic is de facto the same like pairing him with Jokic, maybe little less. Generally this perception that Jokic is slow, weak, bad defender has been totally dismantled in last years playoffs. The issue with Denver isn't even their first 5 but their bench that really is a lot weaker than last year. Green, as I personally expected, is a player that could interestingly fill up in the spot of Grant, differently but still. I watched some Denver games this year and all I can say is that he looks better than ever. And I am pretty sure his performances will rise as playoffs come nearer. Core of Murray - Jokic - MPJ is a core to build around, next year when Harris' contract runs out Denver has some options to go for a shooter at SG which is besides wing-defense their key problem.

I am curious about Giannis playoff performance this year. As far as I have seen so far his shot still is struggling and this will be the KO factor for him and the Bucks in the upcoming playoff periods. A lot of burden on his shoulders. Personally I think he has a lot of upside in that direction but I wouldn't bet my house on it. Totally open. I remember when you've posted that Giannis would carry Denver in the series against the Lakers. I asked myself why he didn't do it at Bucks vs. Miami that have nominally a team that is nothing worse if not even better.
      All I'm saying, is that IMO Denver doesn't have enough fire power to be contenders and given that they are doing well during the regular season, they won't be able to "draft high" in order to improve... Their financial position doesn't permit for them to make an impactful move either... Therefore I can't see them having the potential of other teams and be able and contend in the future.

Comment

Lol Denver not enough fire power hahaahahah

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
          Lol Denver not enough fire power hahaahahah
          You must learn to read in English a statement in it's actual meaning... "Not enough power to contend (for a title)" isn't the same as "not enough power"...

Comment

Originally posted by YixingLao
            Thank you so much for sharing what you know about the NBA teams. Actually, what you “know” about them is an understatement. Looking at your content and going over through your used words and phrases, I can sense that you have invested a lot of time (perhaps money as well? for watching the games live). Back to the topic, I agree with some of your rankings and description. But like your talent in writing and as a basketball analyst, I think you underestimate the potential of the Toronto raptors. As for me and my family (we are not canadians, i promise ha ha ha) we believe that their progressing and adapting gameplays concur with the likes of Boston Celtics and Lakers.
            My (near) future potential rankings are based on the current assessment of the factors which may influence the "next day" for a team... These factors are: 1. The presence of young talent 2. The financial status of a team in order to be able and upgrade the competing ability of its roster. 3.The picks they have in stock. It totally ignores the presence of all stars of which the career is nearing to an end in the roster because (obviously) their presence can only affect the team's present, but not its future...

As far as the Raptors are concerned, my opinion for them is taking into account their spectacular financial condition, but since out of their current roster it's only Pascal Siacam who excels (Lowry's career is approaching an end) and then the better youngsters on Anunoby and Van Vleet clearly are a step behind and certainly not up to the level of some other teams quality of young stars. Therefore, I don't see how they can be able and become a contending team unless there is another youngster next to Siakam that shines out... If there is another one shining out however, I will upgrade their ranking as with all teams.

Comment

The second season of the decade is on its final countdown and it much reveals the directions each team is heading at, therefore a mid-season revision taking into account the updates for each team seems appropriate.

FUTURE POWER RANKINGS (mid season revision)

30. The Houston Rockets: (Future potential: Poor)

The car has crushed many times and it leads on multiple restorations one after the other. A proven policy to fail once more with no light at the end of the tunnel. The Rockets are on a rebuilt which ...hasn't even started yet and are poor on future picks too.

29. Detroit Pistons: (Future potential: Questionable)

The Pistons have now only Sekou Doumbouya (their last season's 1st pick) common in their roster with the previous season and Sekou seems not to live up to the expectations which were addressed on him... Therefore it's this year's draft on Saddiq Bey they now rely upon to built around and then on the proven talent (and still young) Jerami Grant, who despite his talent doesn't show the potential to advance his game on the superstar level other teams have... Still a very long way to go for this rebuilt to start showing a clear direction, the Pistons are clearly out of the picture for many years which will follow.

28. Brooklyn Nets: (Future potential: Poor)

The Nets will have to spend some 300M per season in salaries and taxation over this and the following three seasons, which leads to (by far) the most expensive team in the basketball history. After these three seasons, an attempt to retain the roster intact would advance the annual cost to more than 500M per season *the repeaters tax kicking in after three continuous seasons paying the lux tax... Clearly, anything but a failure to win three consecutive NBA titles will be considered as a failure. It is clearly an attempt to buy the NBA title for some seasons, but Durant doesn't seem have fully overcome his injury and the team without him on the roster, much reminds of the what the Rockets were two seasons ago with Harden and CP3 playing together... Further more, the competition is guaranteed to progress their rosters further during the following seasons which makes the Nets look more vulnerable than they seem to be on paper, especially after this season.In any case, there is no future to the Nets after this and another two seasons and certainly not a long term one.

27. Sacramento Kings: (Future potential: Poor)

The (Serbian) management departed and with it their best player on Bogdan Bogdanovic as well as they have Nemanja Bjelica packing out soon... What is left is talented but not on a level to built around a contending team. No light at the end of the tunnel either while the competition is continuously progressing.

26. The Orlando Magic: (Future potential: Poor)

Despite having an all-star level leader on Voucevic, the Magic are continuously weakening while the competition is advancing all the time. Bamba has never worked for them and the financials aren't stellar either to permit the necessary additions needed. The team is clearly out of the picture for the foreseeable future.

25. Philadelphia 76ers: (Future potential: Poor)

Now on a new season after a most disappointing previous one for the Sixers. Financials still look terrible after they got rid of Hayward's insane contract mainly because the F.O had the "bright" idea to extend T.Harris on another insane (max) contract... As a consequence the team is (about) the same but minus Hayward and all the blame was loaded on the now departed coach... As of any meaningful roster addition, yeah... they've added Danny Green at his ...34th year of age! They really need good luck to be able and compete against the Nets now and the Celtics, the Bucks or the Heat for the present and for the short and long term future.

24. The Indiana Pacers: (Future potential: Questionable)

Clearly the biggest surprise of this season and the biggest downgrade in this list, the Pacers seem to be all over the place and certainly not in a position to challenge anymore the contenders of the league... Olandipo has gone and despite the talent on the roster, there seems to be no leader able to lead the team towards success in a fast advancing environment.

23. The Toronto Raptors: (Future potential: Questionable).

The Raptors have signed Van Vleet, Siakam and Anunoby on huge contracts in order to secure their presence with the team in the long term and will (obviously) built around them. Lowery is aging and expiring this season, and Ibaka with Gaspl departed to end their careers on other destinations. Whether the trio of youth can carry the team to its past glory at the future remains to be seen, but the competition is growing stronger all the time and Siakam isn't Giannis, neither Anunoby is Middleton, nor Van Vleet is anywhere near to ever become Jrue Holliday....

22. The Los Angeles Lakers: (Future potential: Questionable)

The Lakers have expelled all their near future picks and assets but Kuzma during the past three seasons in order to sign Lebron and add AD through a (forced) trade.

Clearly a contending team for another season after winning the title a season earlier and adding Shroeder in order to fill their additional play-making needs and always useful Montezzi Harrell, they have Lebron on his (inevitable due to age) descent signed for this and the next season, but they've managed to improve considerably their age average, With no provision to make back for Lebron after this and the next season, they are clearly looking to enhance the team around AD via trades and through free agency for their future.

21. The Los Angeles Clippers: (Future potential: Questionable)

All of the sudden, the Clippers seem to need more to add in order to keep up with the continuously advancing competition... Financials are good, but there is shortage on picks and the ideal fits next to Leonard and George seem to be locked on other teams.

20. Minnesota Timberwolves: (Future potential: Questionable)

The Wolves looked very promising during the summer by having added Russell and having the 1st pick, but neither Russell nor the pick (on Edwards) are living up to the expectations on which the fans where based to rave upon... There is certainly some (overvalued?) talent on the roster, but OTOH, it also seems that contending is a dream unless they can find a leader to accelerate things.

19.The Chicago Bulls: (Future potential: Questionable)

There is talent and enough quality roster depth with the Bulls, but unless they find a real leader, they can do no better than some surprising wins when in their better day on the floor... They've of course added Vucevic this season, who may turn them into a playoff team, but Vooch doesn't co-line with their time table since their core roster is young and of course, he is enough to turn them into contenders.

18. San Antonio Spurs: (Future potential: Questionable)

Much the same as the rest of the "questionable future" teams, the Spurs have invested on a lots of young talent, but still luck the leader to turn the team into contenders for the title.

17. New York Knicks: (Future potential: Questionable)

16. The Denver Nuggets: (Future potential: Promising)

The addition of (still young) Aaron Gordon before the recent trade deadline, makes of course the Nuggets even better that what they already are, but there is more needed if they are to contend for the title.

15. Golden State Warriors: (Future potential: Promising)

The Warriors are in terrible financial condition and their traditional team leaders are aging but Curry is expiring too... Still, they will have another top draft pick next season and if they can retain Curry, if age won't affect him, if they stay healthy and if (promising) Wiseman takes the next step and becomes a player able to contribute up to the "Warriors standards", they can soon be back into contending... But there are perhaps too many "ifs" involved... We'll see.

14. Dallas Mavericks: (Future potential: Promising)

It comes as a surprise that The Mavs are struggling for a low playoff seed this season, but the league's average level has been raised significantly and it now clearly shows that the Doncic/Porzingis combination isn't enough for the Mavs to be able and contend for the title... Are they talented? Of course they are! Are they exciting to watch playing? For sure they are, but not as consistent as with other teams. In any case they need to surround their core duo with more power and contract renewals are approaching.

13. New Orleans Pelicans: (Future potential: Promising)

The Pels are worst that a season before? It surely seems to be the case! Zion seems to have a slower than expected progress and the rest of their youngsters seem stable if not with a declining performance than before... Of course they lost Jrue Holliday to the Bucks too...

12. OKC Thunder: (Future potential: Promising)

It's a mystery why the Thunder have left all their star veterans depart while there was no financial need to do so... Still, this is the "richest" team in the league on future draft picks and they have drafted well to supplement SGA too... Financials are excellent, but why start from scratch when they could keep investing in their future while keeping the competitive team they had at the same time?

11. The Washington Wizards: (Future potential: Good)

The Wizards, to many surprise aren't doing well although their veterans talent is top notch and Hatchimura seems able to shine out in the near future... They will surely be better soon, but they should be doing better than what they are already.

10. Phoenix Suns: (Future potential: Good)

The Suns have added CP3 and have spend years in building a young and talented roster, but CP3 certainly doesn't fit their timetable and therefore the move is questionable from many views... They aren't on a contending level with CP3, so what after CP3? Surely the rest of the team will continue to advance and surely they have the financials to make valuable additions, but can they find a CP3 level replacement to take over when the time comes?

9. Cleveland Cavaliers: (Future potential:Good)

One of the largest surprises of the season, the CAVs have drafted extremely well on Okoro after adding guards Sexton and Garland the previous two and are building around them. Already a playoffs caliber team, they see on Okoro potential similar to LBJ and financials are great in order to add more during the seasons which will follow... The Cavs can only go up from here.

8. Atlanta Hawks: (Future potential: Good)

The Hawks were expected to come back in the playoffs this season and do have the leader others are lucking on Trae Young, they of course need another player to step up and assist Young on leading the team and financials are great but thet additionally have the assets to make an impactful addition soon which would help them to advance on to be a contending team.

7. The Portland Trail Blazers: (Future potential: Great)

The Blazers have been through a lot these couple of past seasons, but Nurkic looks good now, they've locked Lillard and McCollum in the long term and financials are great, only another solid addition is needed to take the next step.

6. Memphis Grizzlies: (Future potential: Great)

Along with the Hornets in the East which follow in this list, the Grizzlies have the youngest and arguably most talented for the age core in the entire league, financials are great until the extensions will kick in and the team can only be better by the time, it's on;y a top player that is missing to turn them into contenders.

5. Charlotte Hornets: (Future potential: Great)

The Hornets have traded Kemba and everybody thought of them as being "dead"... Yet, their youngsters all look capable to step up their game into star level and then, they are not one or two or three... Can the young core advance soon, or will another addition be needed? Future will soon tell, but the financials are there even a top addition will be required for them to be able and contend.

4. Utah Jazz: (Future potential: Bright)

Bojan Bogdanovic is perhaps the most underestimated all star level player in the league and has proved it on the court with the Pacers already before joining the Jazz... The Jazz missed Bojan's presence during the playoffs last season, but if they can stay healthy, he will join Mitchell and Gobert this season... Financials are great and the Jazz are already contenders...

3. The Boston Celtics: (Future potential: Bright)

Kemba, Tatum & Brown are all young and they are "the core" all locked on long term contracts, the team is among the most attractive destinations and financials are great after trading Hayward. as well as they are full of assets and picks to use... No doubt the Cs will be present in contending despite the (financial) breather they took this season.

2. Miami Heat: (Future potential: Bright)

The Heat continue to built around Adebayo and Herro their future, while trying to take advantage of their veterans at the same time... Financials permit adding released free agents which the Heat take advantage of and by using them make runs in the playoffs... The policy is a proven one and it will continue until both under rookie contract Herro & Adebayo kick into regular contracts and therefore make the financials tighter... Butler is of course there to assist the development of the young core but the financials permit the addition of a 2nd Top-20 at anytime. Coaching and mangment are among the top in the world if not the best and the team is among the most desirable destinations for players... They are back!

1.The Milwaukee Bucks: (Future potential: Bright)

The Bucks are in the the most important season for their future and they already have achieved 99% of the tasks... Giannis, Middleton, Holiday amd Divincenzo locked for many-many years to come and all is missing is the 5th piece on the starting roster which the Bucks have an advantage of on keeping Portis,,, By definition a contending roster, in which other than having the best player of the game in the world on Giannis, it also has two top-20 players on Middleton and J. Holiday, but young Divincenzo and Portis developing to soon become all-star level players too...

Financials are exceptional all due to the P.J.Tucker trade, which permits the Bucks to stay under the lux tax for this season and then go deep into the luxury tax for the three continuous seasons which will follow... Make no mistake... the Bucks will have a run this season with what they have, but they'll be the favorites to win it all for three continuous seasons which will follow and then, after that, 80% of the current roster will still be available... They will no doubt last be contending for a title for at least as long as Giannis carrer will end... How many titles are landing in Milwaukee for the following ...duzine(!!!) of seasons (before Giannis career comes to an end) remains to be seen, but it surely can be many... Splendid job from the F.O. of keeping the financials well under control and hit at the right moment not for one and done, but for a long term sustainable contending team. A world example!
              Last edited by Buckalis; 04-10-2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Now that the playoffs have progressed to the final stage, it is clear that a new revision should be in due...

1. If anything, there seems to be a misjudgment of mine on the Sixers based on their financial status... The Sixers are "hard capped" for this season, but they do clear cap space this summer with Danny Green's contract expiring and if they will deny George Hill's T.O. and therefore their financials improve considerably and will be able to continue contending in the East... I believe a rise to the 12th spot dropping OKC to 13th should be justifiable,

2, The Hawks were clearly the surprise of the season, but more than that, they have plenty of cap space to keep improving the roster significantly... Therefore a rise at the 5th place of the power rankings is justifiable.

3, A further rise of the Suns to pass the Cavs, the Blazers. the Hornets and the Grizzlies for the 6th place is also justifiable after they seem able to win the West or at least contend in it against the traditional forces even without CP3 leading them.

Clearly the West is weakening and the East seems to have the clear advantage at present and for the near future.

Comment

Front Office Actions which should be expected for Nets, Warriors, Sixers....

1. Golden State may be forced to part with Curry

The Warriors have been over the lux tax threshold for three out of their later four seasons, if they are over the lux tax threshold for another season, they become repeaters tax eligible and the tax which they'll have to pay will be enormous! They are already committed for 168M of salaries for the next season and have two hi picks to add which by adding the salaries on their current payroll would mean ending more than 40M over the lux tax threshold, which would then mean paying another 150M on top in taxation!

Furthermore, the taxation will continue over to the seasons which will follow, raising the financial loss for the Warriors to mythical amounts of money. Of course, the Warriors would prefer to dumb the salaries of other players and keep Curry instead, but the only others which are on significant size contracts which if dumped would turn the payroll to "manageable" are Thompson Wiggins and Green and of course, Wiggins seems to be part of the future plans given his age, Thompson's contract is extremely difficult to move given it's time length in combination with the medical history and Green's contract seems equally difficult to move given his age.

Therefore I would give this 80% chances to happen.

2. Sixers putting Ben Simmons on the trade market is highly rumored and makes sense

The Sixers are above the lux tax threshold, but their financials improve greatly for the next season, however Simmons occupies a vast amount of their payroll and the team seems to not function properly with him... Finding a customer willing to take his contract shouldn't be an easy task given the contract's length, but It won't surprise me if the Sixers are prepared to "sweeten it" in order to move it... I would give this 95% chances to happen.

3. Nets will have to part with Dinwiddie and Griffin, may additionally have to trade one out of their "big 3"

Like the Warriors, the Nets are in a terrible financial status, but still a couple of seasons away from becoming "repeaters tax eligible". However, Griffin will be a free agent this off season and Dinwiddie is expected to decline his P.O. I doubt that Griffin will accept a minimum contract and stay with the team, since he surely will be able to find much better elsewhere and the Nets shouldn't be unhappy if Dinwiddie's salary is removed from the books... I would give this 95% to happen...

Moving one out of the "big 3" contracts and therefore turn the payroll to "manageble" also makes sense for a team which was eliminated in only the 2nd round of the playoffs, however I would only give this 35% to happen because the front office knows that the competition will be tougher next season and therefore weakening the roster further after Griffin's departure, will mean much lower ability to give it another go in contention... It's therefore more probable that they'll pay another 30M or so in taxation and will risk another fiasco happening.
                  Last edited by Buckalis; 06-23-2021, 02:06 AM.

Comment

On a most surprising move, Stevens after retiring his coaching duties and taking over the wheel of the Celtics from the GM's position, he acquired Al Horford along with rookie Moses Brown back to the Celtics and in return he parted with this season's No16 pick, a 2025 2nd round pick and of course... Kemba Walker!

The move looks rather head scratching for the Celtics in all other than creating some cap space for the Cs to use on other moves... Therefore the Cs will be downgraded in the power ranking revision, while the OKC Thunder will move up by a couple or three spots given the talent and the age of Kemba next to SGA, and rookies Pokusevski and Jerome.

Comment

This ranking will be updated after the 1st week of the trade period starts and major moves happen and will then be adjusted appropriately as the trade period continues...

Damian Lillard is highly rumored to be on the move... However, i will only give this 20% chances to happen this season, because I feel that there is no team out there able to offer sufficient return which would satisfy Portland... I believe Lillard will be moved next season, or, if a team will be in a position to trade newcomers by the mid-season trade line.

Comment

Grizzlies and Pelicans have come in an agreement which moves Jonas Valanciounas to the Pelicans, while the Grizzlies get back Eric Bledsoe, Steve Adams and the Pelicans No10 pick in the upcoming draft... Obviously the deal is one related with cap space, because the Pelicans other than adding Val, they also create lots of cap space in their pursue of a top PG... OTOH, the Grizzlies have added the pick, but have loaded cap space too which they are expected to use on other trades... It seems that Eric Bledsoe will immediately be re-traded (probably to the Sixers).

The Pelicans surely upgrade their position with this deal, while for the Grizzlies it will highly depend on the return they take from re-trading Bledsoe...

Comment

Will the Lakers also sign Kareem and Magic?

In any case, we now know which "team" (??????) in the league has turned to a circus full of clowns...

In a few days I will be doing the revision and will permanently move the Lakers to the bottom of the power rankings...

Comment

As it goes, the Warriors have extended Carry on a massive contract and therefore there's no way moving him...

But... As I said before, the Warriors are on an enormous financial problem, which is to their huge benefit if they can resolve by moving under the lux tax threshold this season... Question is, can the Warriors resolve the issue and still extend Carry?

Answer is Yes... But with a ...TRICK!

I'll risk a prediction here which I'll rate 99% probable to happen...

At sometime during the season, the Warriors will claim Salary relief of Thompson's salary for ending his career due to injury...

This way Thompson will still get his contract money in full, but because his salary will be removed from the books, the Warriors won't pay a penny in taxation and will get rid of the "repeater's tax eligibility" too... Just my two cents...
                            Last edited by Buckalis; 08-10-2021, 09:50 PM.

Comment

FUTURE POWER RANKINGS (21-22 off season revision)

30. The Los Angeles Lakers: (Future potential: poor)

29. The Houston Rockets: (Future potential: Poor)

28. Detroit Pistons: (Future potential: Poor)

27. The Orlando Magic: (Future potential: Poor)

26. Sacramento Kings: (Future potential: Questionable)

25. The Indiana Pacers: (Future potential: Questionable)

24. Philadelphia 76ers: (Future potential: Questionable)

23. The Toronto Raptors: (Future potential: Questionable).

22. Brooklyn Nets: (Future potential: Questionable)

21. Minnesota Timberwolves: (Future potential: Questionable)

20. The Portland Trail Blazers: (Future potential: Questionable)

19. San Antonio Spurs: (Future potential: Questionable)

18. The Los Angeles Clippers: (Future potential: Promising)

17. OKC Thunder: (Future potential: Promising)

16. Memphis Grizzlies: (Future potential: Promissing)

15. Cleveland Cavaliers: (Future potential: Promissing)

14. The Washington Wizards: (Future potential: Promissing)

13. The Denver Nuggets: (Future potential: Promissing)

12. Charlotte Hornets: (Future potential: Good)

11. Utah Jazz: (Future potential: Good)

10. The Boston Celtics: (Future potential: Good)

9.The Chicago Bulls: (Future potential: Good)

8. Miami Heat: (Future potential: Good)

7. Golden State Warriors: (Future potential: Good)

6. Dallas Mavericks: (Future potential: Good)

5. New Orleans Pelicans: (Future potential: Bright)

4. New York Knicks: (Future potential: Bright)

3. Atlanta Hawks: (Future potential: Bright)

2. Phoenix Suns: (Future potential: Bright)

1.The Milwaukee Bucks: (Future potential: Bright)
                              Last edited by Buckalis; 08-15-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Are you sure on that buddy? Houston just started and finish the rebuilt. They already have young pieces and now got 4 new ones 2 with really high ceiling. They will probably get another top 10 pick this year.

Cavs are 15th? Not until they get something good for Sexton. Any team with Colin Sexton for me is a bad team

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information