Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2021 Euro Qualifiers

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Do we see change of guard our NT was searching for entire decade in PG position?

Marciulionis 1987-1996
    Jasikevicius 1998-2008
    Kalnietis 2010-2020
    Jokubaitis 2021- ?

Lukas is not PG,he is combo professional scorer.
    Here's my projection. 20s will be by far the best decade of position 1. We have three world class material prospects players in - A.Marciulionis, Jokubaitis, Velicka + more of a combo Lekavicius. Lekavcius will peak in 20's, whoever he is. Jokubaitis will be best pure PG till 2025, about that time Marciulionis will prevail as by far the best PG in the country (around age 22). At this point, Velicka may even surpass Jokubaitis, as he will add decision making and team controlling skills. Jokubaitis will always remain inferior in terms of physical profile to Marciulionis and Velicka. To have these 4 pieces in 20's gonna be the luxury we never witnessed. Not to mention super universal SG - Dovydas Giedraitis - who's facilitating numbers went off charts together with Jokubaitis at U19 WC (while both being 17). That will be an mazing blossom of this position, IMO, which should be the the strongest with 5.

2 should also be stronger, even if a bit sort of nominal options. The most expressed and highest upside nominal option are Grigonis and D. Giedraitis. The latter has everything what Sg should have + D. Then goes Sirvydis, Brazdeikis - NBA upside tweeners and we surely mix here some 1 position player, Lekavicius in the first place, but the same Marciulionis in a long run won't have any issues to play 1-2 positions.

3 will slightly decline, IMO. Jasaitis, Kleiza, Maciulis, Kuzminskas (best position in 10's, IMO) is hard to
    match. But Ulanovas, R.Giedraitis, Brazdeikis, Sirvydis should have a decent chance for a try and the position will remain solid at the very least.

4 should be an obvious decline. Kleiza, Jankunas, D.Lavrinovic (in a way), Kuzminskas. Sure, Sabonis is an all star, but he's essentially 5, so the weight goes on Kluboka, Masiulis, Sedekerskis. Unless Tubelis and Murauskas would leave a mark here (one is essentially 5, IMO, other too young) I see slight decline.

5 should be another improvement because JV will stick around in the 1 phase of 20's, Sabonis is an all star and Tubelis is NBA upside 5 + solid options in Gudaitis, Echodas.

Generally, the leap of talent should be outstanding. There's some real physical profiles with the package of skills. It's not some Gecevicius, Vasiliauskas, or one hand pony Janavicius as some serious prospects in the dawn of 10's. Completely different prospects upside and it comes as surprise with our declining market. The radical improvement of position 1 should entirely turn things around. I wouldn't dear to project us bouncing back to medal category (other teams like Canada, France, Aussies, Latvia are building massive rosters to make FIBA as competitive as never likely), but in terms of our perspective, my projection is this:

20's >>>>>10's
    Last edited by Straight forward; 02-26-2020 at 03:06 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

To SF
    At that time you considered Janavicius as NBA material, i think you remember. You even put him in final NT roster not so many months ago. But then time comes and he's somr sort of trash, even his potential became so that is not true eben if i didn't like him never.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    To SF
    At that time you considered Janavicius as NBA material, i think you remember. You even put him in final NT roster not so many months ago. But then time comes and he's somr sort of trash, even his potential became so that is not true eben if i didn't like him never.
    I did it was 10-12 years ago. I had no strong critical judgment by my own in my early 20's and ignored 2 components in the first place - toughness and defence. Janavicius had rather impressive physical profile and some good performances in youth ball as 2 ways PG. His draftexpress page is full of data - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...navicius-1095/ But he never worked on his weaknesses, never added more skill and decision making. And, yeah, in 2016, 2017 Janavcius could be in, why not. It's not fair he never got a single tournament.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Straightforward

decade is only 2 months old he already can say that our tallen will be better wow nostradamus

If atleast 50% of your picked boys will achieve NT level it would good.But we already seen so manny lost tallents and obviuosly we will see more.

You were telling as like for 2 years how Motiejunas is the best Lithuanian player in middle of decade.He wouldnt even made top 10 decade team .So we can imagine alot of things,but lets not look more than 2 years ahead.Sport is changing rapidly.

If you want to talk about future so we can imagine next olympic cycle 2021-2024 there we can see some things developing already ,talking what can happen after that is just useless.Nobody knows.

Especially you when you never take in considerations players mindset psychology ,character,stamina,heart only look at raw talent.Without character and strong stamina just tallent wont win multiple medals thats is proven in all sports.

What 85 generations (1984-1986) players leaded team achieve ( 3 medals,4 semifinal apereances) in 2010s it will be very hard to repeat in 2020.That would be my only long shot guess what i see in world of basketball and our NT right now is happening.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 02-26-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Straightforward

decade is only 2 months old he already can say that our tallen will be better wow nostradamus

If atleast 50% of your picked boys will achieve NT level it would good.But we already seen so manny lost tallents and obviuosly we will see more.
    It's a projection. I would be shocked if our talent wouldn't leap in 20s compared to 10's. It's more than obvious it's gonna happen. How much, it;s different question though.

What 85 generations (1984-1986) players leaded our team achieve ( 3 medals,4 semifinal apereances) in 2010s it will be very hard to repeat in 2020.That would be my only long shot guess what i see in world of basketball and our nT will happen in 2020s.
    Comparison won't go in medal collections. To say that 10's NT was as competitive as 90's and 00's would be complete joke, I hope you will agree here, but we got three collections each decade. Not more not less.

Motiejunas screwed his career with back injury. Before it, he was elite 4-5 and was about to have huge 2015EB. After injury, he's irrelevant basically. Unless you mean some prospect will face some injuries, and that's interesting point.

Stamina and charackter? Good point! However, Grigonis is an ultimate fighter and the one who is carrying the flag at the moment since Kalnietis, Maciulis declining. Sabonis is a fighter, even if too humble a little bit. Marciulionis has father's genes, he's very vocal and you can see he's schooling older guys in Perlas already. Brazdeikis is cheeky and playing with huge swagger. I like gutsiness and solidness of D.Giedraitis, he was the captain of U19 this summer and was flat out leader till sprained his ankle. Some underrated silent generals as Lekavicius. His blood is cold in crunch time. We'll see, but I doubt we'll become soft mentally.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 02-26-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I assume you may not ever seen Beliauskas playing for Nevezis this season, right? ... The same Beliauskas dropped those points for the dead end worse or second worse LKL team this season. There's a chance that some Lukosiunas would score a bunch there, let alone youngster studs like Sirvydis, Jokubaitis.
    You know you have it absolutely backward on that question.

In what sport, in what field of endeavour, is a person's performance improved rather than hurt by weaker teammates? Laurynas Beliauskas deserves extra credit if anything for playing well with Nevėžis.

Last edited by Hepcat; 02-26-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
    The quality or Kalnietis + Motiejūnas vs. Jokubaitis + Birutis was so freaking different in favor of the youngsters. I don’t really know whether the lack of games during last month had any influence on DMO’s form, but it is really bad. Every attack of Czechs had been organised through DMO. And almost all of them were successful.... But the best thing from today’s game was Jokubaitis’s role as a floor general. He needs to control those tough-early-crazy lay ups of his a bit bitter, but the on-the-floor management is fantastic.
    I agree! Birutis and Jokubaitis' play were real eye openers. I think they've staked a solid claim to be given a very hard look at the Olympic Qualifying team camp this spring.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Saip View Post
    The win means nothing, it's still very bad play by team.
    I agree. Absolute disaster was avoided in this past window, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    (oh, and btw, let the three old musketeers Kalnietis, D-Mo and Maciulis finaly retire in peace for good - maybe don't shoot the old horses, but let them finally have their long deserved retirement holidays.)
    I'm not sure that there are any better options to Mantas Kalnietis yet, and evidently he was battling some type of illness during this window. Whether Motiejūnas was 100% is doubtful too but I'm not convinced that he should be seen as a lock for the team this spring.

Sadly though I'm prepared to agree with respect to Jonas Mačiulis.

Last edited by Hepcat; 02-27-2020 at 06:35 PM.

I have to agree to SF's projection. It's quite obvious that the talent pool for guards is much bigger now, so in the end we should have capible guardline in this decade.
    Also the likes of Sabonis and Grigonis, who both IMO are perfect glue guys and should absolutely shine in PnR will be the main engine of our offense.

Very disappointed with Kuzminskas this window. He was balling in Russia and here he was lost when it mattered and didn't stand out in any way. I guess he will never take the next step with NT, just weak character overall.

I wonder what is going to happen to Eurobasket 2021 now that Olympic games are postponed to summer 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaliaBalta View Post
    I wonder what is going to happen to Eurobasket 2021 now that Olympic games are postponed to summer 2021.
    Will be postponed to 2022. We pretend so as if 2020 never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Will be postponed to 2022. We pretend so as if 2020 never happened.

Personally I'll pretend that Lithuania won

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456