Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thirdy Ravena thread

Default Thirdy Ravena thread

Not sure if he has his own separate thread but please just include this and it's contents if he has
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Default Thirdy Ravena ᜆ᜔ᜑᜒᜍ᜔ᜇ᜔ᜌ᜔ Rᜀᜊᜒᜈ vs Yudai Baba 馬場 雄大

Since we are having a rivalry with Japan, I think this will be the best match up for Thirdy in Asia.

"How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Just my opinion, is J League a more competitive league than the PBA? I mean what new things will he learned from JLeague that he will not learn in the PBA.

Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    Just my opinion, is J League a more competitive league than the PBA? I mean what new things will he learned from JLeague that he will not learn in the PBA.
    um, playing within FIBA rules, not playing defense with your hands, playing against quality 6'10 and up imports?
    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

b. league has 60 game regular season. 7 max playoff games. an offseason and he will battle against other foreign reinforcements. and most of all, he will be forced to develop his perimeter game (offense and defense) since japanese players are known shooters.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

Quote Originally Posted by mangangalakal View Post
    um, playing within FIBA rules, not playing defense with your hands, playing against quality 6'10 and up imports?
    Yes, FIBA rules in some way but Japan league is very soft. Besides he learn that from UAAP already. Playing with or against quality big man maybe the most beneficial thing he will learn. Thou he will not guard them nor they will guard him most of the time. Penetration to the basket will be tested thou. But PBA have better local big man than Japan and Imports have more quality too.

Thirdy has already been featured on some Japanese websites:

https://basket-count.com/article/detail/34434

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    b. league has 60 game regular season. 7 max playoff games. an offseason and he will battle against other foreign reinforcements. and most of all, he will be forced to develop his perimeter game (offense and defense) since japanese players are known shooters.
    PBA teams can average 50 to 60 games specially playoff bounds teams. We have more frequent play offs which makes games more significant. He will need the perimeter game also in PBA. Look at Jeric Teng. He needed the to shoot from the outside as he is going to go against physical players in the shaded lane. Aside from reinforcement, Japanese local are not so physical.

Just to be clear, if Thirdy stint in B.League will open the flood gates for other Pinoys to play in that league then I have no objection to it.

I am just looking at this as a training ground for Thirdy especially for his stint in WC 2023. Will he benefit the most in developing his skills in Japan. If this was Australia then I am all for it.

Yes, FIBA rules in some way but Japan league is very soft. Besides he learn that from UAAP already. Playing with or against quality big man maybe the most beneficial thing he will learn. Thou he will not guard them nor they will guard him most of the time. Penetration to the basket will be tested thou. But PBA have better local big man than Japan and Imports have more quality too.
    They allow 3 imports per team and there are no height limits as far as I know. Most Japanese players have decent perimeter shots. B.League > PBA

Quote Originally Posted by FITL View Post
    They allow 3 imports per team and there are no height limits as far as I know. Most Japanese players have decent perimeter shots. B.League > PBA
    I respect your opinion on B.League vs PBA.

Yes they have 3 imports but not high quality most of the time. Look at Ira Brown, Fazekas ( who played few games in PBA) not your high quality imports. If imports are the only reason to go to Japan, then go to China, which has more high quality imports.

I respect your opinion on B.League vs PBA.

Yes they have 3 imports but not high quality most of the time. Look at Ira Brown, Fazekas ( who played few games in PBA) not your high quality imports. If imports are the only reason to go to Japan, then go to China, which has more high quality imports.
    Likewise, I respect yours.

However, basketball is a team game. The PBA gets high quality imports that go toe-to-toe (they end up just covering each other most of the time) and are expected to carry the load for their respective teams. I still think learning how to defend and play with multiple imports + shooters in a team setting is more valuable than backwards Filipino basketball na puro-kanya kanya. And many PBA imports also play in the B.League, including Durham when he's not playing for Meralco.

Just to be clear, if Thirdy stint in B.League will open the flood gates for other Pinoys to play in that league then I have no objection to it.
    yes i'm all for this. our top players should have legit options aside from the PBA. ABL, b-league, NBL, heck even the CBA

Quote Originally Posted by FITL View Post
    Likewise, I respect yours.

However, basketball is a team game. The PBA gets high quality imports that go toe-to-toe (they end up just covering each other most of the time) and are expected to carry the load for their respective teams. I still think learning how to defend and play with multiple imports + shooters in a team setting is more valuable than backwards Filipino basketball na puro-kanya kanya. And many PBA imports also play in the B.League, including Durham when he's not playing for Meralco.
    Most of the time Japanese team rely on their imports similar to PBA, at least in PBA it just one player while in Japan 3 players are import and they all guard each others. Not alot of team play also. If we want Thirdy to learn teamwork and outside shooting, Korea is the best league for that.

If you watch the East Asia Super League we beat Japan teams. I know its just a pre season tournament but you can see how are local players stack up to Japan. I do agree Japanese are abit better shooters but we are more better at driving and more athletics. So if Durham plays there then no significant difference than PBA.

Again, I am looking at how Japan league is way better than PBA in case of training for Thirdy.

I dont believe that PBA is backwards. In fact, some of the plays in NBA are emulated in the PBA. Isn't CYG system of making big man shoot the ball from the outside began in the 2000s when he handled Red Bull team which now the norm in basketball now.

Quote Originally Posted by ja.he View Post
    Very much agree
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

If Australia it is not the NBL but the newly inaugurated NBL1

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    If Australia it is not the NBL but the newly inaugurated NBL1
    Are they step below NBL? if they are the same level of Australian team that competited in Fiba Asia they might be good enough.

Man, you are asking in the wrong forum, in this forum the PBA is the worst league in the world.

Are they step below NBL? if they are the same level of Australian team that competited in Fiba Asia they might be good enough.
    some nbl players play in nbl 1 (former SEABL).. nbl 1 is like a semi pro league here..

either way nbl 1 or b league, it will be good for thirdy.. hoping for more pinoys explore nbl1 and b league.. expecting kobe and 1gdl to playe here in nbl1 or in b league,, sooner or later korean league will adopt asian quota on their league.. how about the PBA? can they do that again without height limit?

Quote Originally Posted by fadzki View Post
    Man, you are asking in the wrong forum, in this forum the PBA is the worst league in the world.
    PBA bad reeeeeeeeeeeee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast