Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Euroleague regular season: Week 18

Senior Member Demetrios I. Soter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    Calathes was not good even defensively. Rodriguez toyed with him.
    That's why I believe PAO is in need of another athletic pure play maker.

Anyway, I believed that we would deflate a bit after Kalingrand but we lost easier than expected.
    let´s do Rice Out and Tyreke Evans In.

Quote Originally Posted by markkanen View Post
    When Calathes plays, Panathinaikos plays. Unfortunately, he played really bad today. You have big problems with rotation. Calathes, Rice, Fredette, Johnson, Papapetrou, Thomas, Mitoglou, Wiley and Papagiannis - that's it. Baskonia played like they have friendly game again. Fenerbahce made their uncontested shots because Baskonia played zero defense, they only waited for game to end. It's quite boring, they always win when they play against unmotivated opponent (like Barcelona last round), and they lose badly if they played against opponent who has motivation to win.
    What do you think has happened to Janning's shooting this season? His three point percentage for the season is 23.2% and he's shooting 35.9% for two pointers. I know most of his team is struggling but that's a serious drop off just from last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Havent seen a shitty game like that in Baskonia for a very long time. Its like a second league game.
    I mean have you seen where they are in Spanish league table?They are literally on the same level as Burgos or Obradoiro

Quote Originally Posted by markkanen View Post
    Baskonia played like they have friendly game again. Fenerbahce made their uncontested shots because Baskonia played zero defense, they only waited for game to end. It's quite boring, they always win when they play against unmotivated opponent (like Barcelona last round), and they lose badly if they played against opponent who has motivation to win.
    I disagree. Baskonia played tough defense but their whole defensive strategy was focused on not allowing De Colo to score. They also didn't give easy points under the rim, Fall was quite good. But you can't cover everything in defense. Westermann and our forwards had easy 3pt chances, and our bigs on high post had quite the space (as Baskonia tried to trap ball handler in P&R defense). Fener converted those chances very well, luckily for us (especially 3pt shots). Ivanovic before the game probably bet on players other than De Colo not making them.
    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
    Şampiyonluk gelince

We have realy good schedule until the end of season. I am afraid after Sloukas come back we will continue with ball raping and I am not optimist at all. But if he understand that De Colo is indisputable leader of this team and he is just role player like Westerman and Melih then maybe, just maybe , we could find path to play off with chance to fight without hca.

Absolutely correct. I've pointed it out a lot of times to Beno.
    Calathes’ Euroleague carrier stats in Euroleague are 28% for 3 and 54% FT, not because he’s tired, but because he can’t shoot. And this stats are exploited in playoffs series by opponents. He’s still doing other things good enough to be considered as good Pg, but unfortunately not good enough to bring his team in playoffs constantly. And it’s absolutely not true how he never had adequate guard beside him. He had James in 2 playoffs series.
    previously known as Beno

You are judging him from one of his worst games though.
    Actually I am not. I do appreciate all he does and the effort he puts in. I do realize that he is probably one of the top passers in ever and he can understand the games like very few players but if anybody would ask me if I wanted Calathes or Sergio in Pao the answer would be Rodriguez 10/10 times.

He just fits better my "aesthetic" of how PGs should be. No hard feelings against Nick.
    3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

It isn't a proper week on here if we haven't heard Bob's thoughts on Calathes yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    What do you think has happened to Janning's shooting this season? His three point percentage for the season is 23.2% and he's shooting 35.9% for two pointers. I know most of his team is struggling but that's a serious drop off just from last season.
    His team doesn't play serious basketball when they lose. Janning is good shooter in organized teams, in Baskonia he just get too many tough shots because the flow of the ball is nonexistent.
    They don't have proper point guards anymore, and they rely on their opponents - if their opponents play bad, they have the chance to win, if their opponents actually want to win and play good they struggle in their attacks. 30 points after 23 minutes against Fenerbahce, 55 points against Real Madrid, but when they play against unmotivated Barcelona, that's another story. This format sucks, every team will have 10 or more victories and some of them definitely doesn't deserve to win 10 or more victories. But, some day, Efes, CSKA or Barcelona doesn't care about result and bad teams will use it.

Quote Originally Posted by vivo View Post
    I disagree. Baskonia played tough defense but their whole defensive strategy was focused on not allowing De Colo to score. They also didn't give easy points under the rim, Fall was quite good. But you can't cover everything in defense. Westermann and our forwards had easy 3pt chances, and our bigs on high post had quite the space (as Baskonia tried to trap ball handler in P&R defense). Fener converted those chances very well, luckily for us (especially 3pt shots). Ivanovic before the game probably bet on players other than De Colo not making them.
    Well, if they see that, if they see that their approach didn't give a frickin result, why they didn't change something? I mean Leo Westermann and his 7/8 behind 6.75 line?! He's not Durant or even Jaycee Carroll, he is just Leo Westermann, player who before that game had 2/6 for three and 2/9 for two point. He had 21 points, that's more than 50% of his entire points so far.
    And their issue is offense also. If they manage to made some shots, and if they manage to score some points, they would be alive in game, and they wouldn't play like that was some kind of friendly game.

It was a really great win,

- We won 2 away games in a row
    - Westermann finally joined in our roster as an important rotation player (I wish Obra could explain why it took so long in the first place?)

With Malcolm and Nunnally joining as main defensive and important role players at offense, our rotation will be much easier. And our main players Datome and Williams can be more effective.

Now there are 4 issues;
    - Sloukas need to agree to being a back up guard for Nando for this season, because his defense isn't good and he isn't as good as Nando at offense.
    - Lauvergne needs to agree to being a 10 minutes rotation player since he is a big liability at defense.
    - Vesely should mentally decide to play basketball at the of the month when he returns.
    - Kalinic and Dixon should get a little better.

If these things happens, perhaps we can be as good as before.
    Last edited by Tevfik1907; 01-10-2020 at 01:44 AM.
    FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010-11(2), 2013, 2016, 2019-20(2) Turkish Cup Champion ---
    --- 1991, 2007-08(2), 2010-11(2), 2014, 2016-18(3) Turkish BSL Champion ---
    --- 2015-19(5) EuroLeague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 EuroLeague Champion ---

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    It isn't a proper week on here if we haven't heard Bob's thoughts on Calathes yet again.
    Yes, greetings from Phi Phi, Thailand. It’s easier to watch Nba than EuroLeague here, but I had to answer to my friend Adon.
    previously known as Beno

It's all on Sloukas. I've said this since the beginning of this season. He still cannot reconcile with not being the "leader".

Just when he's not present, the team plays its best basketball of the season. Always knew Westermann would finally have a breakout game. Had he been in his stead this season, Sloukas would probably have cried himself to death.
    poof

Quote Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
    It's all on Sloukas. I've said this since the beginning of this season. He still cannot reconcile with not being the "leader".

Just when he's not present, the team plays its best basketball of the season. Always knew Westermann would finally have a breakout game. Had he been in his stead this season, Sloukas would probably have cried himself to death.
    This is a bit puzzling to me. Why would he be obsessed with being the leader? When was Sloukas the leader of any team in his career? (ok, maybe the last year a bit, but when else?).
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    This is a bit puzzling to me. Why would he be obsessed with being the leader? When was Sloukas the leader of any team in his career? (ok, maybe the last year a bit, but when else?).
    It is clear to me that Sloukas is a valuable player who can kill defenses when he is on his day, but he usually holds the ball too long and kills the flow of the ball. It wasn't always like that until last year - I don't know if it is by design by Obradovic, or if he really wants to be play this style, or if it is a petty leadership struggle. Considering Obradovic didn't bench him, I don't think it is just a leadership struggle from Sloukas towards De Colo. I think this is a gameplay issue that can be solved.
    Şampiyonluk gelince

Quote Originally Posted by saras View Post
    maccabi (12-6) schedule
    19vs FC BarcelonaJanuary 14
    20vs AX Armani Exchange MilanJanuary 16
    21at FC Bayern MunichJanuary 23
    22vs Real MadridJanuary 30
    23vs Khimki Moscow RegionFebruary 05
    24at Fenerbahce Beko IstanbulFebruary 07

and then its the break for 15 days. in the remaining 10 games after the break panathinaikos has both csska and maccabi at OAKA
    The goal of Maccabi is 4 wins out of these games, more than 4 wins will be amazing, even 3 wins is fine.
    Best European Basketball Highlights Channel - AGHighlights
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJ..._as=subscriber

Of course that sloukas is valuable player but this season he kills us. Maybe it's Obra fault maybe it's him(at the end it's always coach responsibility) , but it's obvious that Westerman would never explode if Sloukas didn't get sick.

So, again it's coach who didn't notice which player should get bigger role and who don't.

We are witnesses that only two players have unlimited credit, Sloukas and Kalinic, price for that is that Datome has cuted minutes and Westerman was invisible, shadow of the player until last night.

Fuck you Zeljko Obradovic!!!
    (I just replaced name from his famous curse)

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    Of course that sloukas is valuable player but this season he kills us. Maybe it's Obra fault maybe it's him(at the end it's always coach responsibility) , but it's obvious that Westerman would never explode if Sloukas didn't get sick.

So, again it's coach who didn't notice which player should get bigger role and who don't.

We are witnesses that only two players have unlimited credit, Sloukas and Kalinic, price for that is that Datome has cuted minutes and Westerman was invisible, shadow of the player until last night.

Fuck you Zeljko Obradovic!!!
    (I just replaced name from his famous curse)
    Actually Sloukas had toned down the ball hogging in Oly game too, he was quicker with his decisions and actions compared to earlier games. Maybe Obradovic talked to him for that. Also the last paragraph isn't nice even for a joke...
    Şampiyonluk gelince

Quote Originally Posted by vivo View Post
    Actually Sloukas had toned down the ball hogging in Oly game too, he was quicker with his decisions and actions compared to earlier games. Maybe Obradovic talked to him for that. Also the last paragraph isn't nice even for a joke...
    So it wasn't nice to Gigi too... He made tone of good things for this team, came back from injury and needed time to be 100% fit..
    On the other side he has minimum 5 players who deserved curse more then him. At the end this is just forum where 100+ basketball 'crazy' people read and write and his curse watched 100+ milions people.

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    So it wasn't nice to Gigi too... He made tone of good things for this team, came back from injury and needed time to be 100% fit..
    On the other side he has minimum 5 players who deserved curse more then him. At the end this is just forum where 100+ basketball 'crazy' people read and write and his curse watched 100+ milions people.
    Yeah, what he did was wrong too imho (because it wasn't or in the locker room in a training). Though I am sure Obradovic is aware Melih and Gigi are his captains and they spent many years together, so... By the way they both are playing better after that incident so it might have been good as a wake up call even though it shouldn't have happened in front of the cameras
    Şampiyonluk gelince

Big derby tonight, two the most talented teams. This time Efes will play with Larkin which is huge difference compared to first game.
    I would say 55-45 for Barca because hca and they have a little bit more talent in the roster.
    That difference is that Kuric is one of the best shooters in EL and Baubois is overated player imo. First five are equal.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast