View Poll Results: Can Fenerbahçe make playoffs?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • What are you talking about? They WILL make playoffs.

2 13.33%
  • They are a good team and it is likely.

8 53.33%
  • They are off this season. It is a long shot.

3 20.00%
  • They are done and gone. There is no way.

2 13.33%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fenerbahçe, dead or alive?

Default Fenerbahçe, dead or alive?

Let's heat it up
    Fenerbahçe at the bottom third of the league starting second half of the season. Brought mediocre players (Thomas & Nunnaly). Do they stand a chance?

Can they actually make playoffs? Or even F4?

a. What are you talking about? They WILL make playoffs.
    b. They are a good team and it is likely.
    c. They are off balance. It is a long shot.
    d. They are done and gone. There is no way.

I believe Fener will make the play offs. They have the quality, they have the coach.

They will most likely take 7th or 8th place which makes it a nightmare for the teams finishing 1st or 2nd to have to play against a team which has the heart of a champion. The top 2 teams would prefer to face a Baskonia, Milano or Khimki any given day.

Fener have been beaten to a pulp this season so far but they are showing reflex actions making 2 signings to improve the squad. I truly expect them to make some big wins in the 2nd round.

Whoever makes the mistake to underestimate Zoc and Fener will be in for a rude surprise.

The game vs Oly was do or die for both teams. Backs to the wall stuff. It's not easy playing Oly in a capacity arena but Fener made it look easy without playing all that well which tells me there is plenty room for improvement. The team and Zoc looked calm the whole game which was a much different picture until recently. Whatever issues may have been seem to have been resolved between coach and players.

What is key is improving their rebounding. If they manage that then they will make the 8 for sure. They may need to sacrifice things in the tough Turkish League but they can make up ground in the play offs.
    Last edited by EverGreen; 01-05-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

absolutely in. they will get playoff 90% .in that case they will get f4 if will not face barca or real.

They play Baskonia away next week. This game is another final for Fener. They can't afford to lose to competitors for 7th-8th place. Losses to the top 6 won't hurt but they do against the rest of the league. Top 6 are miles away.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

If Fenerbahce take place in quarter final,I would bet they will play on f4 .For them ,crucial is period between 22nd and 30st game.In this period they will play against Alba in Berlin,Zenit away ,Maccabi,Real home, Valencia away ,Crvena Zvezda home,Khimki away,Pao home,Bayern away .So,in this period is biggest extent of posibilities for variation of results .If Fenerbahce would play good ,could win in 7 games .From psychological standpoint,very important is game against Baskonia ,for some inditons of better days,also Baskonia has turbulences so there are opportunity for win away and after them Asvel come in Istanbul ,3 win in row is good start of second part of Euroleague .But ,like I wrote period between 22nd and 30rd game probably would direct season .

The only difference between Fener from the start of the season and current team is that Datome started to take bigger role and take more shoots. Regarding roster two mediocre players won't change the destiny for sure.

I expect Top8 but not more then that. It's much more important what will happen after that because we have chance to make big team on this core with keeping just De Colo, Datome and Vesely. Biberovic of course should stay as naturalised player.

Fener had a game today against Bursa and won with +3 and Bursa is a non playoff team in the turkish super league. They cant keep any guard playing in the euroleague from the rim. With this bad defending of their guards i dont see them making the playoffs. The responsibilities of Sloukas are killing him and there is nobody else who could give this team a shape.

I'll say they make the top 8 but having to beat Real, Efes, or Barcelona in a best of 5 as the road team probably isn't realistic....

I picked Fener before the year started but i thought their path would be different...

Pretty much dead, except in case of some miracle. They don't have decent center, they don't have team chemistry, they didn't beat any competition for 7th and 8th place beside Khimki. They need to win 11 or 12 games, I don't think it will be possible for them.

Play off maybe but F4 is not real this season imo.

Fener can make the playoffs but 4 away games will be the key to that.

@Baskonia
    @Alba
    @Valencia
    @Khimki

If they win those 4, they will find a way to win another 7 games on the rest.

They need 12-5 at least to go to the playoffs. I think that's very difficult to achieve but possible. 1 game up or down the wire.

I'd give something like 30% chance to make the PO. Not the most probable scenario. And I'm not convinced yet that they have any great improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Fener had a game today against Bursa and won with +3 and Bursa is a non playoff team in the turkish super league. They cant keep any guard playing in the euroleague from the rim. With this bad defending of their guards i dont see them making the playoffs. The responsibilities of Sloukas are killing him and there is nobody else who could give this team a shape.
    Again and again it's pure De Colo and nothing more then that. this is the strangest situation I ever saw in my life.
    You bring the best player in the competition and all other players(except Datome) forget to play basketball.

The only logical explanation is that almost all players under Obra overachieved until this season and now they show their real potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    They need 12-5 at least to go to the playoffs. I think that's very difficult to achieve but possible. 1 game up or down the wire.
    they can potentially make it with 10-7, too, with a losing record of 16-18, if they beat the direct opponents away as CoachZ listed, esp Valencia, Khimki, Baskonia.

I give it a 51% chance they will make the POs, where they cannot beat any of the Real or Barca, even if they go 17-0, imho. (unless they bring a monster big)
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    Again and again it's pure De Colo and nothing more then that. this is the strangest situation I ever saw in my life.
    You bring the best player in the competition and all other players(except Datome) forget to play basketball.

The only logical explanation is that almost all players under Obra overachieved until this season and now they show their real potential.
    I think that's not the only logical explanation. I even disagree with it, as I can't find many names in the roster who did better with Obradovic than before. Yes, they played at a higher level with much better consistency, but they did not overachieve: Dixon, Kalinic, Sloukas, Datome, Vesely (ok, maybe Vesely) were pretty well-recognized players already. They were expensive for a reason.

Melih certainly improved, but that's typically an indication of something else not working well in the team.

in the end, this year's failure is 99% on Obradovic, not player A or B forgetting basketball. Even the best can have terrible years.
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 01-06-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    I think that's not the only logical explanation. I even disagree with it, as I don't find any name in the roster who did better with Obradovic than before. Yes, they played at a higher level with much better consistency, but they did not overachieve: Dixon, Kalinic, Sloukas, Datome, Vesely (ok, maybe Vesely) were pretty well-recognized players already. They were expensive for a reason.

Melih certainly improved, but that's typically an indication of something else not working well in the team.

in the end, this year's failure is 99% on Obradovic, not player A or B forgetting basketball. Even the best can have terrible years.
    Still you don't have explanation too, so we can only guess. I know very well that Obradovic is guilty with bad transfers in first place(except De Colo) and with poor chemistry building after that.

Forgeting basketball was symbolically said of course, underachieving if you like. And please don't put Datome in basket with others because I excluded him from comment. Other players could be Sloukas, Kalinic and Dixon-Vesely is injured but he could be on that list too. Newcomers aren't worth of discution because they are bad from the start.

What Sloukas was in Oly? Back up for Spa
    Dixon was good in Karsiyaka but that was just EC level team
    Kalinic when came to Fener was lost just as he is now.

Obra gave them the main roles in the team and they became leaders in their positions. Now when De Colo came they came back to their real mindset and show real level of knowledge. Again I must exclude Dixon because in his case age could be the reason more then anything.
    Last edited by janketa; 01-06-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by janketa View Post
    Still you don't have explanation too, so we can only guess. I know very well that Obradovic is guilty with bad transfers in first place(except De Colo) and with poor chemistry building after that.

Forgeting basketball was symbolically said of course, underachieving if you like. And please don't put Datome in basket with others because I excluded him from comment. Other players could be Sloukas, Kalinic and Dixon-Vesely is injured but he could be on that list too. Newcomers aren't worth of discution because they are bad from the start.
    Hahaha, I had excluded Datome at first, actually. I know he's your favorite, and I agree with you on that, but he had not been playing well for a long time until recently.

Explanation I might have is basically this: Bad roster management, which can be expanded to incompatibility of transfers and hasty contract extensions. Plus, people who know basketball much better than me point out multitude of coaching mistakes during the games. Obradovic might be underperforming as a coach, too.

As for lost players, Melli was an underappreciated, great player, but his & Guduric's departures were not like Bogdan's and Udoh's. Fener did not care losing them at all, many even celebrated it, thinking Williams & De Colo was an upgrade, so it doesn't make sense now to cry after them.
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 01-06-2020 at 11:25 AM.

It came all together. Deceiving through overachievement (Sloukas), too old guys (Dixon), bad roster building, optimism that the recently injured player would deliver immediately and Veselys return date...

Fenerbahce is like Milan a cursed franchise now the curse also overwhelmed the BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    Hahaha, I had excluded Datome at first, actually. I know he's your favorite, and I agree with you on that, but he had not been playing well for a long time until recently.

Explanation I might have is basically this: Bad roster management, which can be expanded to incompatibility of transfers and hasty contract extensions. Plus, people who know basketball much better than me point out multitude of coaching mistakes during the games. Obradovic might be underperforming as a coach, too.

As for lost players, Melli was an underappreciated, great player, but his & Guduric's departures were not like Bogdan's and Udoh's. Fener did not care losing them at all, many even celebrated it, thinking Williams & De Colo was an upgrade, so it doesn't make sense now to cry after them.
    De Colo over Guduric was big upgrade, but Melli was such better than williams, that we ended with big downgrade after all.

I can't wait this nightmare of season to finish.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast