View Poll Results: Which team qualifies for Tokyo?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dominican Republic

0 0%
  • Italy

2 10.00%
  • New Zealand

1 5.00%
  • Puerto Rico

0 0%
  • Senegal

1 5.00%
  • Serbia

16 80.00%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Qualifying Tournament - SERBIA

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDiesel2 View Post
    Guduric and Lucic are OUT of the Belgrade qualifier with injuries. About that time for the Serbs to naturalize an American. Plenty of great options…

https://twitter.com/Sportando/status...256589313?s=20
    Forget it. They will never do it.

Whom you'd suggest, Chuck when they are O U T ? I'd go with Oliver North as the only available sharpshooter in America who is available right now.

Nedovic will play?

Are there any teams in the OQTs who will have most of their best players? Lithuania maybe?
    Winner! Euroleague Prediction Game 15/16
    2nd Place! World Cup Prediction Game 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ncjazz View Post
    Are there any teams in the OQTs who will have most of their best players? Lithuania maybe?
    We miss 2 euroleague players Gudaitis,Ulanovas they are injured.

Brazdeikis will try to get nba contract this summer so he isnt playing.

But thats all. All others our best players are preparing now for qualification tournament.

when Jokic,Bogdanovich,Lucic,Guduric saying they are out from qualification tournament it means they can rejoin team for Olympics? or all are out for entire summer?

My understanding is that they are still eligible to play in the Olympics. That's how it was in past years.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Whom you'd suggest, Chuck when they are O U T ? I'd go with Oliver North as the only available sharpshooter in America who is available right now.
    I think you’ve proven more than capable of arming yourself without the need for the kind of assistance North would bring.

It seems to me Serbia is in desperate need of perimeter scoring and shot creation, so why not Jordan Lloyd? Familar to the rest of the roster, has probably learned awful things to say about someone’s mother in the native tongue and well acquainted with the rims in Belgrade. It also helps his future Euro career earnings to get that Cyrillic passport.

If you’re set on someone who wouldn’t stand out as much in the team picture I’d go with John Konchar. Serbia has naturalized Serbian Americans in the past for junior tournaments, don’t see what the big deal is about doing the same for a chance to get to the Olympics. Not sure if Konchar can join in the folk singing but he’s scrappy as hell, a good rebounder/defender who can knock down open shots and plays his ass off.

Good point.

The problem that Konchar has is that his Serbian is pretty bad, bro. So he'll have a bad time when Teo takes the team to the disco. A guy that would fit here is probably Shaq O'Neal because he is at least teying to speak Serbian properly. The other options I see are either dead or in prison

And now seriously. This is a B team of Serbia and I am really not sure how this will look in a few days. Important thing is to qualify and not to play good as we should get more additions of good players after the tournament but Italy has it's chances and Puerto Rico/Dominicans, small ones, too.

Still I am pretty relaxed. I know everyone will give 100 percent but it's a pretty wildly thrown together group of players without clear identity and conception. We will have to rely on talent and defense.

Yeah, I just really want to see them go through to the Olympics. Makes for a much better competition.

By the way, I was at Hawks/Bucks tonight and Bogdan can hardly move. Really rough watching him hobble around out there and pass up good looks like hes Ben Simmons. He was in a slump before the injury and right now he has zero confidence. Hawks might be better off sitting him in favor of Tony Snell.
    Last edited by ChuckDiesel2; 06-24-2021 at 07:09 AM.

I think injury plays it's role here.

I think Bogdan is playing at his own risk right now. He's been dealing with injury since 76ers series but now it has gotten worse. I'm not optimistic that he will play at Olympics if we get there.

Nor should he if injured. Noone benefits.

John Konchar is interesting. There has been some talk among Serbian media, fans and basketball community about possibility of inviting such players as Kaminsky and Konchar. A lot more noise provoked Kaminsky as Kokoškov said something like he would consider inviting Kaminsky to our NT and Kaminsky himself wasn't against that idea but only in case he would be totally accepted by fans and community (but he wasn't willing to take place of younger talents). It never went further than that because there was an immediate strong negative reaction among fans and I also think most of our current players such as Teo openly criticized that idea (not specifically about Kaminsky but in general).

I don't know what to think about naturalization of players. From Serbian perspective, we have enough talent so we don't really need it. I'm not against giving passports to players like Kaminsky, Konchar who have some ties with us for example. But giving it to random foreigners doesn't seem the right way - it's like you are just hiring mercenaries in a straight business fashion, while we know playing for NT is much more than that. There is also another problem, if you are inviting foreigners it's like you are giving up on younger players and sending them discouraging message. Duda Ivković could ask for help from abroad in 2009 for example leading very, very young team, but instead he gave a big chance to Teo (who wasn't playing much at Oly at that time and was already 22) and he exploded. You just never know who might jump out of nowhere if given a chance. That is in fact the biggest problem I have with naturalization (even more so than blood relations), it would mean we are giving up on young talents without patience to test them and give them a chance, so I figure if that happens at any time I would assume 'something is rotten in the state of Denmark' (replace Denmark with Serbian basketball school ).

On the other side, our women basketball team already naturalized couple of American players such as Danielle Paige (won GOLD at Eurobasket with Serbian team and I think bronze medal at Olympics in 2016) and now Yvonne Anderson (currently playing with Serbian team at Eurobasket and made it to semifinals last night), so our Federation at least when it comes to women basketball is not against that idea (and you've got to think would we win those medals without Page for example?). I'm not sure the same principle would imply when it comes to men basketball. It would probably take a long period of dryness in terms of talent production to embrace idea of naturalization, which is hard to imagine. But this may look like a double standard though

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    We miss 2 euroleague players Gudaitis,Ulanovas they are injured.

Brazdeikis will try to get nba contract this summer so he isnt playing.

But thats all. All others our best players are preparing now for qualification tournament.
    Thanks. Lithuania will definitely be a threat for the Silver in the Olympics then. By the way Jokic said he is not playing at all this summer and as has been said above Bogdanovic is banged up so I dont think he will play either.
    Winner! Euroleague Prediction Game 15/16
    2nd Place! World Cup Prediction Game 2019

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Serbian_Layup View Post
    I don't know what to think about naturalization of players. From Serbian perspective, we have enough talent so we don't really need it. I'm not against giving passports to players like Kaminsky, Konchar who have some ties with us for example. But giving it to random foreigners doesn't seem the right way - it's like you are just hiring mercenaries in a straight business fashion, while we know playing for NT is much more than that.
    I agree. I'm a supporter of a Team Serbia of, for and by Serbs (no more than one ocean and perhaps a generation removed).

Lets be honest, a guy who spent a year living/playing in Serbia has more connection to the country than diaspora from an American suburb whos never been there. The big difference/determining factor is skin color.
    Last edited by ChuckDiesel2; 06-24-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Well I dunno.... If an American of non-Serbian extraction (whether more darkly pigmented or not) was playing in Serbia, learned to speak Serbian, was enraptured by a local beauty, married her and settled down to live in Serbia, I'd say "Well alright". Even if he brought his childhood sweetheart over from Toledo or Grand Rapids and decided to live there in Serbia that would be alright. At least their kids would speak Serbian like natives.

But just playing in Serbia for a year or two with a Serbian repertoire of several swear words? I don't think that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDiesel2 View Post
    Let’s be honest, a guy who spent a year living/playing in Serbia has more connection to the country than diaspora from an American suburb who’s never been there. The big difference/determining factor is skin color.
    That's really bullshit, bro. It's not even about Americans. Personally I feel more connected to African Americams than trailer park white trash from my visits of the states. I would be also against naturalized Estonians and Space Jam Aliens. It's a matter of principle. It's a national team. A team of the nation. In my team and also Partizan all black people ALWAYS were among most beloved players. I'd go to war for Charlie Jenkins.

In Serbia and Lithuania basketball national teams are perceived not just as a sports collective but cultural heritage. If good or not is a different story. I like your way of posting but that perception of racism is truly disappointing and totally wrong.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast