View Poll Results: Which team is going to Tokyo?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angola

0 0%
  • Lithuania

16 51.61%
  • Poland

1 3.23%
  • Slovenia

12 38.71%
  • South Korea

1 3.23%
  • Venezuela

1 3.23%
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Qualifying Tournament - LITHUANIA

I dont like what I see for LTU. If Grigonis keeps playing like this he cant expect to play many minutes for CSKA.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    I dont like what I see for LTU. If Grigonis keeps playing like this he cant expect to play many minutes for CSKA.
    I think it's much more of an issue with the inept coahing staff who have no clue how to put players in the best positions to use their strengths to the fullest, rather than the players' fault...I don't even expect us to beat Poland playing like this and I think it will be a 50/50 nailbiter game imo

The good old Kalnietis. Walking TO machine is at work.
    Coahing staff is attacking him with psychic x-rays

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Coahing staff is attacking him with psychic x-rays
    nah, that's just good old Father Time doing it's work there, combined with Kalnietis' spectacular chest high dribbling skills...

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    nah, that's just good old Father Time doing it's work there, combined with Kalnietis' spectacular chest high dribbling skills...
    This and his TO where you think "what the hell are you doing?". There is no pressure and he throws the ball where nobody can be found. The last time I was laughing hard was Eurobasket 2015 semi final against Serbia where he hadnt looked at the ball and lost it. He played well dont get me wrong but this is Kalnietis for me.

This and his TO where you think "what the hell are you doing?". There is no pressure and he throws the ball where nobody can be found. The last time I was laughing hard was Eurobasket 2015 semi final against Serbia where he hadnt looked at the ball and lost it. He played well dont get me wrong but this is Kalnietis for me.

tell me about it...us lith fans had to suffer through this Kalnietis "era" since 2006 or so unfortunately, only because we had no one better to choose from lol

Kalnietis kept us alive as a powerhouse in any basketball competition and without him we wouldn't win medals.

It looks in Slovenia we got the strongest rival from Europe. Never thought it would be better to get Serbia instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    It looks in Slovenia we got the strongest rival from Europe. Never thought it would be better to get Serbia instead.
    This. We are not that bad, but Slovenia simply plays smoothest BB at the moment. Their chemistry is at another level, even when Doncic is out their intensity does not decline, they know each other perfectly, they have agile modern center. I think they currently playing best basketball in qualification. Better than Serbia, Canada, Lithuania. I would love to be wrong, but if that would series, Slovenia would beat us 4:1 or 4:2. They play modern up to date basketball and their very good at it, we are playing solid, quality old school basketball which is inferior in comparison. I treat Slovenia now much bigger favorite than I had them before the tournament, but who knows, in one game everything possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

why are you my fellow liths talking about slovenians when we haven't beaten poles yet? They are actually a much better team than Venezuela and we had heaploads of trouble with that team too...

I still don’t understand Maskoliunas. Whay dont there is still no game here or it hidden and various experiments are carried out. It’s scary that we’re creating a lot of good chances to throw but can ’t hit, the percentage of the game excluding the 3-second zone is still low. Where did Giedraitis' stable throw go?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    They(Slovenia) play modern up to date basketball and their very good at it, we are playing solid, quality old school basketball which is inferior in comparison.
    So you're saying that the "modern up to date" basketball where they just allow opponents open lanes to dunk uncontested is superior to the solid, quality old school basketball that was played before the NBA legislated against any semblance of defence?

I disagree. I liked the way fellows such as Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and the "Bad Boy" Pistons played the game. "If you're going to try to show us up in the paint, you better count the number of uncracked ribs you still have when you come down from the basket." I prefer a game where teams actually try to prevent the opposition from scoring instead of the high scoring circus into which the NBA has turned the game. Yes, I know the NBA sells the sizzle not the steak, but I prefer there to be some meat in a game.
    Last edited by Hepcat; 07-02-2021 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    So you're saying that the "modern up to date" basketball where they just allow opponents open lanes to dunk uncontested is superior to the solid, quality old school basketball that was played before the NBA legislated against any semblance of defence?

I disagree. I liked the way fellows such as Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and the "Bad Boy" Pistons played the game. "If you're going to try to show us up in the paint, you better count the number of uncracked ribs you still have when you come down from the basket.".
    Luxury!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONvMKkIpwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ZDB9h7BLY
    Last edited by LuDux; 07-02-2021 at 01:27 AM.

Exclamation

Yeah the guy who posts these videos is a great nineties fan:

But the players were already launching themselves backward as if shot from a cannon after any kind of "contact" already in the nineties. You'd think they were soccer players or something.

Quote Originally Posted by greenarcher View Post
    How does Venezuela keep in step with superpowers in Basketball despite all their players playing only in their local league?
    greenarcher that question is very good, in Venezuela there is a great culture around basketball but the most popular sport is baseball, we have had players in the NBA, but more than everything is based on the talent we have in the country, because as you know the crisis in the country and the bad structures in terms of leadership have delayed the development of basketball and despite all these obstacles, we have players committed to the national shirt that give everything to reach the best levels in this sport.

If we had a more solid and serious structure, Venezuela could play and compete much better than it already does, some efforts are being made but I believe that much more can be done to take basketball in my country to higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Kalnietis kept us alive as a powerhouse in any basketball competition and without him we wouldn't win medals.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post

I disagree. I liked the way fellows such as Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and the "Bad Boy" Pistons played the game. "If you're going to try to show us up in the paint, you better count the number of uncracked ribs you still have when you come down from the basket." I prefer a game where teams actually try to prevent the opposition from scoring instead of the high scoring circus into which the NBA has turned the game. Yes, I know the NBA sells the sizzle not the steak, but I prefer there to be some meat in a game.
    People are underestimating, how much better offensive players are players nowadays. There's no D for players shooting pull-ups from 9 meters. Then you have great spacing with all 5 players capable for shooting for 3. There was 0 centers capable that in the past. There's no D in paint, because there aren't anyone camping inside anymore. Stars playing Isos are insane. It's like you would have 30 MJ in the league. Sure D was more aggressive back then, but was anyone shooting from logo pull-ups? You basically have to defend Curry, Dame... almost from the half court. Half of old school C was totally incapable to defend modern pick&roll. Defending modern Nba players is very difficult no matter what kind of D you allow, because players are just too good.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    This. We are not that bad, but Slovenia simply plays smoothest BB at the moment. Their chemistry is at another level, even when Doncic is out their intensity does not decline, they know each other perfectly, they have agile modern center. I think they currently playing best basketball in qualification. Better than Serbia, Canada, Lithuania. I would love to be wrong, but if that would series, Slovenia would beat us 4:1 or 4:2. They play modern up to date basketball and their very good at it, we are playing solid, quality old school basketball which is inferior in comparison. I treat Slovenia now much bigger favorite than I had them before the tournament, but who knows, in one game everything possible.
    What do you mean exactly by Lithuania playing "old school" basketball?
    More post game, more structured set plays etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    What do you mean exactly by Lithuania playing "old school" basketball?
    More post game, more structured set plays etc?

Yeah, but not only this. Lithuania in 2 games made 14 threes (with pretty crappy %), Slovenia in 2 games made 36 threes (with great %). We base out game through bigs, Slovenia through guards. Our pace is slow in most cases, Slovenia's is wild in a good way. Our spacing and ball movement rather limited, Slovenia's is perfect (at least in three games we seen this summer) and even fancy. Our perimeter on ball defence is weak (as well as out traditional bigs are not suited to guard contemporary offense), while Slovenia's perimeter defence is pretty pesky and intense (to me the surprise is your deep bench players who come from the bench with an attitude of Petrick Peverly), you have mobile center who is pretty good at p'n'r defence. You have much more creation from perimeter. Off course no-one in Slovenia's roster is capable to go ISO against JV and Sabonis, but that's the only advantage we have pretty much. That's very much old school vs new school to me.

Off course, maybe Lithuania will find more balance in upcoming 2 games and we will play faster, it can happen, but seeing Slovenia's chemistry, ball movement, perfect p'n'r duo in Doncic and Tobey, pace and incredible confidence in shooting I treat Slovenia is clear favorite to grab the ticket. It's too bad, cause it's obvious both teams deserve to be in Olympics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Thanks for the input! Sadly I don't have the luxury to watch numerous games as I used to and appreciate such observations.

Slovenia did play great in the last two games and the Sekulič's job is visible since he took over. However, I think this pace isn't neccesarily set in stone. Surely Slovenia will do it's best to play that, but it can be controled, most of all by rebounding. A tacticaly sound team can imo force Slovenia under 80 points. So I don't believe the outcome is set in stone. I perfectly understand what you mean though, It would be hard to cope with getting eliminated from the olympics when you know your team deserves it, now it's (probably, there are still semis to be played) either you guys or us.

In my opinion, no matter the publicity, FIBA should do the same as UEFA did. If olympic comitee insists on having 12 national teams only on the olympic tournament, let them lose their most globaly watched part of the olympics and focus on the world championship. Nothing will improve without any cojones involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Me on the other hand look at the situation quite optimistically. Our defence is improving. I liked the way we contained the running team like South Korea. I was happy with the defense against Venezuela as well. We try to use our strength and, naturally, limit the one our opponents excel at. Modern or not, we have a disciplined game plan that helps us to be consistent. With the quality we have under the rim, we have the luxury to be predictable. While we do not force the game via 3s, obviously, getting more contribution from the behind the arc would be a nice boost. Nonetheless, it's all in our hands. The very fact that Slovenia's transition offense was running smoothly does not mean that they can go this way against every team. The old saying "one plays the way their opponent allows", I believe, fits in here rather well.
    Girdėjau gandą - ateina lietūs

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast