View Poll Results: Which team is going to Tokyo?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angola

0 0%
  • Lithuania

16 51.61%
  • Poland

1 3.23%
  • Slovenia

12 38.71%
  • South Korea

1 3.23%
  • Venezuela

1 3.23%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Qualifying Tournament - LITHUANIA

Exclamation

Only FIBA bureaucrats take any stock in those "naturalization" rules. I sneer at them. Basically they enable richer European countries to mine the rest of the globe for young talent and bring to their countries to play basketball.

Suffice it to say that neither I nor any other international basketball fan would question Alen Omić's presence on the Slovenian team:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Alen Omić (born May 6, 1992) is a Bosnian-born Slovenian professional basketball player.... Omić made his debut for the senior Slovenian national team at the 2014 FIBA World Cup. He also represented Slovenia at the EuroBasket 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Only FIBA bureaucrats take any stock in those "naturalization" rules. I sneer at them. Basically they enable richer European countries to mine the rest of the globe for young talent and bring to their countries to play basketball.

Suffice it to say that neither I nor any other international basketball fan would question Alen Omić's presence on the Slovenian team:

It doesn't matter who question anything, Omic is naturalised too and more importantly, he didn't play a single game for Slovenia in last 4 years. He's playing in France in playoffs, so even, if he forgets everything that was said in last years, he isn't available at the moment.

All this discussion is futile, Slovenia didn't make the rules, Fiba had. I will only add that perspective from near 40 mio country might be a little different than from 2 mio country.
    Last edited by Killer Bob; 06-17-2021 at 05:44 AM.
    previously known as Beno

Well, okay. Let's than agree to ban all foreigners from all NT's. Not a problem to me.
    Untill than, should Slovenia really be the one avoding naturalisations, while Spain, Italy, Russia or Germany freely do so, kicking us out of the tournaments as in the previous 2 decades? It's okay for us to lose Gregor Fučka to naturalisation (eurobasket MVP at one point) and noone having a problem with it, while on the other side us naturalising Randolph is a deal breaker?
    Next thing, can we also than discuss a little bit about the effect of GM's sabotaging participation in NT's for various players or managers conviencing players not to play, or do you really believe Slovenia had such a bad luck from 2003 to 2015 that it could never assemble even aproximately complete teams and various Vatoutin's, Filipovič's etc. had nothing to do with it?

Untill than, I couldn't care less if we naturalise an average center as this one. I would be a bit different if we naturalised Brook Lopez as we almost did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    Well, okay. Let's than agree to ban all foreigners from all NT's. Not a problem to me.
    Untill than, should Slovenia really be the one avoding naturalisations, while Spain, Italy, Russia or Germany freely do so, kicking us out of the tournaments as in the previous 2 decades? It's okay for us to lose Gregor Fučka to naturalisation (eurobasket MVP at one point) and noone having a problem with it, while on the other side us naturalising Randolph is a deal breaker?
    Next thing, can we also than discuss a little bit about the effect of GM's sabotaging participation in NT's for various players or managers conviencing players not to play, or do you really believe Slovenia had such a bad luck from 2003 to 2015 that it could never assemble even aproximately complete teams and various Vatoutin's, Filipovič's etc. had nothing to do with it?

Untill than, I couldn't care less if we naturalise an average center as this one. I would be a bit different if we naturalised Brook Lopez as we almost did.
    So if NT naturalise player atleast dont do in such pathetic way : 2017 one american, fiba qualification another american,for olympic 3rd american and eurorbasket 2022 your Nt will find 4th american ale smith or brown ?

Slovenian NT naturalisation reached another level. Even Russia used to same american for few tournaments. Slovenia NT have no pride what so ever Morgan got injury,Omic said no. No problems in few weeks we gonna give passport to 3rd foreigner .

Tell me another respectable basketball NT who does like that even right now changes diffrent american player every year?

I cant respect NT that dont respect themselfs . Going cheat code at any cost even in fiba window qualification games where B NT plays .

Fans from Lithuania already prepared excuse for not making to Olympics. Cheat code Tobey is too good for Valanciunas and Sabonis.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Fans from Lithuania already prepared excuse for not making to Olympics. Cheat code Tobey is too good for Valanciunas and Sabonis.
    bobby you understand well what i mean,but when there is no contraraguments just make lame joke

We have lost to Russia leaded Holden semifinal or Mclabbebs leaded Macedonia 1/4 game but that didnt change how NT saw naturalisation and it wont change by outcome in Kaunas either. .

LTU lose and wins playing their own boys.

Slovenia NT only shows weakness in such desperate way doing naturalisation at big position week before tournament, because they fear Valanciunas and Sabonis alot not other way around

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    bobby you understand well what i mean,but when there is no contraraguments just make lame joke

We have lost to Russia leaded Holden semifinal or Mclabbebs leaded Macedonia 1/4 game but that didnt change how NT saw naturalisation and it wont change by outcome in Kaunas either. .

LTU lose and wins playing their own boys.

Slovenia NT only shows weakness in such desperate way doing naturalisation at big position week before tournament, because they fear Valanciunas and Sabonis alot not other way around
    If you compare 150 mio Russia with 2 mio Slovenia, you for sure don't understand situation at all. I don't believe that there are much more than 5 people between 20-35 years and having 210 cm or more in Slovenia. That's your base for making good C, counting that all 5 players want to play basketball in first place. It's not by chance that Slovenia never had problems with guards.

It's really simple, you cannot play any kind of basketball with Dimec being only C. Tobey was only open option.

I don't know, who is afraid, but I for sure believe that Slovenia can win qualifications. On the other hand fans from Lithuania are outraged with Tobey addition. I doubt very much that would have been the case if Slovenia played in other group.

Few years ago Spain and Serbia wanted to steal Luka from Slovenia. That would have been really huge for European basketball for next 15 years and I didn't hear anything about how unfair is that. Tobey is not game changer, he's below average starter for this position and suddenly whole Lithuania is crying. Just pathetic.
    Last edited by Killer Bob; 06-17-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    previously known as Beno

It's surely not only on Slovenia. Big f...you to all countries who naturalize players, specially those who are among TOP 15 EURO teams anyway. No respect for Spain trying to grab Doncic, but Serbia had at least some arguments, Donic's father is Slovenian of Sebian descent. It should be banned for anyone, it distorts the competition. Why the f...Spain needed naturalized players? It was a bit overlooked because Spain was anyway head and shoulders above anyone else for decade and more so it just slipped and people didn't talk too much. But when say Latvia got knocked out only because Slovenia naturalized some random American, it's a different story (again, I personally despise all NTs who goes for naturalization and it should stop). It's not how good your new citizen who never was in his suddenly native country, it's that quick and cheap "naturalization" which sounds ridiculous at this point. If you grab some scrub, it would be even bigger joke, but this guy might be an X facor, he can shoot and he will have his opportunities to shoot.
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

As I said all this discussion is futile, because naturalisation is allowed. It's like talking how players in Nba shouldn't taking advantage of some rules that favourite attackers. Do you really believe that stars in Nba won't take advantage of drawing fouls with not natural shooting motion? They will. Nba will have to change rules and they're already talking about that.

Fiba's rule has some logic for small countries. Basketball is sport for big people and smaller country you have, less chances you have, because your base of potential basketball players is too small. Lithuania is an outliner, because basketball is far the most popular and successful sport. Slovenia on the other hand is sporting phenomenon. We're extremely good in many sports, but base for basketball, especially for bigs is too small. Fiba can change the rule, no more cheat code, but smaller nations will have even less success. But until it's changed, I really see no point, why especially smaller nations wouldn't take advantage of it.
    previously known as Beno

Only 14.95 SLT. Grab it while it's hot

Leaving alone nathuralisation question in FIBA basketball, l'm thinking how cheap is a passport of such countries like Slovenia (Turkey, Ukraine...) if they're giving it to some random American players who are not stars so that they would play 1-2 tournaments representing their NT and then they would take another one. Personally i wouldn't be OK that some Tobey, or Morgan, or whatever he would be who has no real connections with my country would represent it only because he would be OK to get a European passport or (what is worse) getting paid for that. I would be really against that and thank God i'm in the right country here ( not generally unfortunately....but could be worse though...).

It looks that Lithuania has already won qualifications, we just have to see if on court or only morally.
    previously known as Beno

If we say something about basketball for change, Mavericks imploding doesn't seem to be good for Luka's state of mind. Just incredible events in last days.
    previously known as Beno

Yeah, either end all naturalizations or stop bitching about it. As an American I’ve had fun watching Americans thrive for other national teams teams through the years (from JR Holden to Bo McCalebb to Randolph) and believe they’ve enhanced the overall product, but it obviously doesn’t make sense to represent a country you’re not from.

In a perfect world they ban all naturalizations for national teams but also get rid of the bizarre passport nonsense/limitations on American players overseas. It’s absurd that Brandon Davies has to have phony Armenian papers to play in Spain.
    Last edited by ChuckDiesel2; 06-27-2021 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDiesel2 View Post
    Yeah, either end all naturalizations or stop bitching about it. As an American I’ve had fun watching Americans thrive for other national teams teams through the years (from JR Holden to Bo McCalebb to Randolph) and believe they’ve enchanced the overall product, but it obviously doesn’t make sense to represent a country you’re not from.

In a perfect world they ban all national naturalizations for national teams but also get rid of of the bizarre passport nonsense/limitations on American players overseas. It’s absurd that Brandon Davies has to have phony Armenian papers to play in Spain.
    You are right on point with passport limitations, however US has surpassed europe with players production to the extent that's not realisticaly possible. Leagues would be flooded with US players. And of course it's easier to impose rules like that, compared to taking care of domestic players production that could rival the level of US players coming over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

What happening with Maverics? Donne Nelson leaves as GM and he was Doncic's guy, he drafted him (why to leave now when you have generational talent who needs right pieces? Mavs might create a dynasty). Carlisle one other hand probably super pissed handling Doncic and those 2 never got together probably. Doncic is generational talent, but he's not an easy player to play with. He's one of these superstars who can whine about timeouts timing, he can ignore the coach and ect. He doesn't give a f...how long Porizingis stands open at the three point line, and the guy himself has a potential to be a superstar in the league if healthy. I think Dallas will do everything to extend Doncic and to give him the right coach and players around, but Doncic should also to grow into the leader not just to be too egoistic BB prodigy.

Can this affect Doncic performance in Kaunas? I doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    What happening with Maverics? Donne Nelson leaves as GM and he was Doncic's guy, he drafted him (why to leave now when you have generational talent who needs right pieces? Mavs might create a dynasty). Carlisle one other hand probably super pissed handling Doncic and those 2 never got together probably. Doncic is generational talent, but he's not an easy player to play with. He's one of these superstars who can whine about timeouts timing, he can ignore the coach and ect. He doesn't give a f...how long Porizingis stands open at the three point line, and the guy himself has a potential to be a superstar in the league if healthy. I think Dallas will do everything to extend Doncic and to give him the right coach and players around, but Doncic should also to grow into the leader not just to be too egoistic BB prodigy.

Can this affect Doncic performance in Kaunas? I doubt.
    You should read article in The Athletic, all started with Bob Voulgaris, Director of Quantitative Research and Development for the Dallas Mavericks, ex poker player and sport gambler. Donnie supposedly leak informations to Athletic, because Voulgaris became stronger than him. And after that everything fell apart. All 3 gone.

It's really easy to build a team around Luka, you surround him with 3&D players and rim protector. KP, before injuries, would have been great fit. Now KP cannot defend anymore, so he's liability in D instead being rim protector. Mavs had to start with Boban, because Clippers were having free road in the paint. KP had to move to 4, paint was close and KP became just another Sf in 7'3 body. The biggest mistake was of course trading Seth for Richardson. It would have been 4:0 easily if Seth was playing or if KP could protect the rim. KP, in this condition, doesn't bring much. Bad D, no post move whatsoever, cannot create anything for himself and is defended easily by much smaller players.

Luka egoistic? Did you watch playoffs? There wasn't single player in Mavs roster, who could create anything for himself or others. Mavs falling apart every single time, when Luka was out. In game 3, it was 30:11, when RC pulled Luka out, he put him quickly back in, but momentum was gone and Clippers back in the game. Big disappointment was Brunson, no need to even talk about Richardson, who in RS looked as solid backup for Luka, but he was totally lost in that position in playoffs. Mavs with solid second Pg and normal C, would have been title contenders. Boban starting in modern Nba is just a joke and we're back on KP not being able to defend.

Both Donnie and Carlisle should have came in Slovenia next week, not now. I'm sure that big moves in Mavericks are for sure distraction for Luka.
    Last edited by Killer Bob; 06-18-2021 at 01:15 PM.
    previously known as Beno

Yeah, I know that story and I actually love Luka fired back to that punk gambler. I'm sure Luka would find markets in the NBA LOL. Such punks have no say to prodigy Luka who sweats everyday in the gym. Fucking gamblers...Good riddance. I respect Marc Cuban, but Voulgaris can GTFO.

Exclamation

So Adam Waczynski left the Polish team's training camp because he wasn't made team captain. Bizarre ego stuff like you'd expect from a high school kid methinks.

Cuban just isn’t a good owner. Way too meddlesome, not nearly as smart as he thinks he is and prone to being swayed depending on who he has a crush on. Not to mention all of the sexual abuse stuff going on for years under his nose that he denied and denied before ultimately admitting to.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast