View Poll Results: Which team is going to Tokyo?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angola

0 0%
  • Lithuania

16 51.61%
  • Poland

1 3.23%
  • Slovenia

12 38.71%
  • South Korea

1 3.23%
  • Venezuela

1 3.23%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Qualifying Tournament - LITHUANIA

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Whats with Vlatko Cancar? Hell also be available when Denver losts the series against Phoenix. Blaz Mesicek is also a young guy with potential.
    Yeah, Čančar should be our primary PF. Yet to see how he will play after sitting in Denver for two seasons straight untill this one.
    As far as Mesiček, he used to promise more than Šiško and Čančar 6-8 years ago, but was on the verge of stop playing basketball due to back injuries, I was told. He is not on NT level currently.

Vidmar cannot play and Mike Tobey is supposedly getting Slovenian passport.

If true, it can be huge for Slovenia. Tobey with his shooting theoretically fits great with Luka, providing much needed spacing and opening the paint.
    Last edited by Killer Bob; 06-11-2021 at 07:07 AM.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Vidmar cannot play and Mike Tobey is supposedly getting Slovenian passport.

If true, it can be huge for Slovenia. Tobey with his shooting theoretically fits great with Luka, providing much needed spacing and opening the paint.
    What is Tobey's connection with Slovenia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    What is Tobey's connection with Slovenia?
    He was once on vacation there.

Rules are pretty clear about, who can play for NT, but you can complain nonetheless.
    previously known as Beno

He was once on vacation there.

Rules are pretty clear about, who can play for NT, but you can complain nonetheless.
    It should be changed. It's national team. Random guys who have zero connections with the country shouldn't be available.

This rule was made for popularization of basketball - what is highly idiotic, too, but different story. I agree that is has to be changed. Big federations should agree on it.

And most importantly it's nice to see that countries like Croatia that used to naturalize found "agreement" between coaches and legends and public that they won't do it any more.

So Omic is even more vital for you.

On other hand, Doncic will be with the ball in his hands all game long pretty much or you think that Slovenia will try to make his life easier allowing Sisko to facilitate Doncic in the high post? Maybe here and there surely, but Doncic with the ball is a threat from the second one, and he will want everything: fast brakes, baseball passes, aggressive penetration at the half court line observing the contact. A lot of angles in this game, will be interesting how it will pan out. The same Prepelic can take things into his matters as he did in 2017 EB final when Donic got hurt and Dragic gassed, he carried the team. On the other hand, I wish Lithuania would pretty much use all 12 players rotations, some of tiny role players just coming out and giving their last breath in their 5-10min. Thus Lithuania would utilize the advantage of the size, athleticism, toughness to make it an impact.
    Well, I am not a fan of Dončič going into extremes with taking care of 80% of the team's posessions I don't like the predictability of it. That's a James Harden type of basketball that in the long term just won't work, plain and simple. The good part is that he'll be surrounded with pretty decent shooters, but penetrations "at will" won't be as easy in FIBA ball as they were in NBA for him. Šiško and Prepelič should be involved in creation and hopefully our coach will have the guts and brains to assure that. Which remains to be seen first...
    Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 06-11-2021 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Slovenia has no front court but the back court is much stronger than LTUs. If a small forward guards him Doncic will just call a screen to match with Lekavicius or Kalnietis, then help will come eventually and Luka will either finish himself or find the open man. There will be big problems for LTU if the other guys if the guys make the shots. Dimec against JV will also be interesting to watch. With the current situation i would go with Slovenia.

It should be changed. It's national team. Random guys who have zero connections with the country shouldn't be available.
    Firstly it's the rule. What should or shouldn't be doesn't matter. Secondly it's 1 player and in Slovenian case not exactly a star and it's not because Slovenian basketball school isn't capable of create good enough basketball players, but simply because genetics& small population don't provide enough bigs.
    previously known as Beno

Vidmar is out duo health problems. Likely the end of career. Omic still an open question. And indeed Slovenia fishing another random foreigner. Mike Tobey as main goal. I can't call it other than fishing or buying because naturalization should be a process of some person relating with certain country. Now they just pick a random guy That's so disgusting. Imagine that in Lithuanian NT camp, LOL...It would be like spitting on an altar. The whole idea of national team would collapse. I'll never respect that. I can understand some Americans naturalization who played for Olimpia for some 4-5 years, but not some random guy. If say Walkup would have stayd for another 2 years in Zalgiris, I wouldn't be all that much against the idea to naturalize him as he even now treated almost as Lithuanian in Zalgiris locker room, but that's out hand really with Tobey.

By the way, here's one of Doncic' weaknesses ATM. As LTU fan, I hope he'll go for those contested wild shots playing for the NT as well (just as long as Slovenia is an obstacle for Lithuania at this stage...cause generally I'm a big fan of Doncic game :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lbmsrMbJ0

So his name is written Luka Dončić. Yet I hear both the c letters pronounced "ch". This puzzles me. They're written differently. Why are they pronounced the same way?

They aren't pronounced the same way but Slovenian language has no letter č. Luka's surname is written with ć as his father has Serbian origins. Nothing special and most westerners don't recognize the difference anyway.
    Jošjo Poljak in this forum for example writes Dončič. It's no big deal. When I learnt Greek in school the different writings of letter "o" drove me crazy, maybe this is a good comparison

Ć = Chechnya
    Č = maybe chat (harder pronounciation)

Damn, bummer about Vidmar. He was one of my favorite parts of Slovenia's 2017 title team. Tobey is solid but if they're picking big white Americans I would've gone after Kaleb Tarczewski first.

Sisko is out because of injury.
    previously known as Beno

Mike Tobey is officially member of Slovenian team.
    previously known as Beno

How fast are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    How fast are you?
    Do you understand word officially?

https://images.app.goo.gl/LDcK8rgXNXjA2kd97
    Last edited by Killer Bob; 06-16-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    previously known as Beno

That's a cheap shot Completely random guy. This makes Slovenian NT + random guy as key big. I really hope you guys will receive a lesson because that. Ain't no deserving to be in Olympic family because of such attitude. Maybe that's the reason why Slovenia never made it.

That's a cheap shot Completely random guy. This makes Slovenian NT + random guy as key big. I really hope you guys will receive a lesson because that. Ain't no deserving to be in Olympic family because of such attitude. Maybe that's the reason why Slovenia never made it.
    Your opinion is very important for people and players in Slovenia. I hope that Tobey doesn't have good game against Lithuania because that would have been totally unfair. Lithuania deserves to qualify.
    previously known as Beno

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast