View Poll Results: Which team is going to Tokyo?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angola

0 0%
  • Lithuania

16 51.61%
  • Poland

1 3.23%
  • Slovenia

12 38.71%
  • South Korea

1 3.23%
  • Venezuela

1 3.23%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Qualifying Tournament - LITHUANIA

Default Olympic Qualifying Tournament - LITHUANIA

The tournament will be held in Victoria between June 23-28, 2020.

Group Team Qualification FIBA World Ranking
    A Lithuania 9th at the 2019 WC 8th
    A South Korea Wild Card 30th
    A Venezuela 14th at the 2019 WC 20th
    B Poland 8th at the 2019 WC 13th
    B Slovenia Wild Card 16th
    B Angola Wild Card 32nd

The first two teams of each group qualifies, and play each other to reach the final. The winner of the final goes to the Olympics.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

I hope we get to the Olympics where we have a very strong team claiming medals:

PG: Lekavicius; PG: Jokubaitis / PG, SG: Kalnietis / PG: Velicka

PG, SG, SF: Grigonis; SG, SF: Giedraitis; (SG: Milaknis)

SF, PF: Kuzminskas; SF: Ulanovas; SG, SF: Butkevicius / SG, SF: Brazdeikis / SG, SF: Sirvydis

PF, C: Sabonis, PF, C: Motiejūnas; PF: Echodas / PF: Masiulis / SF, PF: Bendzius

C: Valanciunas, C: Gudaitis
    Last edited by G&B; 02-16-2020 at 07:32 PM.

If Slovenia has their best team, including a health Doncic, I favor them slightly. A final between them and Lithuania could be a good watch.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    If Slovenia has their best team, including a health Doncic, I favor them slightly. A final between them and Lithuania could be a good watch.
    Doncic-Nikolic
    Prepelic-blazic
    Muric-dragic
    Jordan morgan-cancar
    Omic-vidmar

Is this the best possible roster for them?

I was about to ask the same. Anyone from Slovenians care to give explicit review on the talent level of current G. Dragic, Randolf less Slovenia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Pride View Post
    Doncic-Nikolic
    Prepelic-blazic
    Muric-dragic
    Jordan morgan-cancar
    Omic-vidmar

Is this the best possible roster for them?
    It's Omic or Morgan. Both of them can't work. Omic counts as a naturalized player, too. Sisko also might be a useful addition. Slovenia needs at least a sevenfooter in order to match-up with Valanciunas.

P.S. I am not sure if Vidmar is still available to play for national team.

Omic naturalized player?he took the passport before 18 ys old

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Pride View Post
    Omic naturalized player?he took the passport before 18 ys old
    You must be younger than 16. In exceptions also older is possible but only in exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by soulis79 View Post
    It's Omic or Morgan. Both of them can't work. Omic counts as a naturalized player, too. Sisko also might be a useful addition. Slovenia needs at least a sevenfooter in order to match-up with Valanciunas.

P.S. I am not sure if Vidmar is still available to play for national team.
    Vidmar is available but has knee problems.
    previously known as Beno

Slovenia negotiating with Itoudis.
    previously known as Beno

Imagine such rosters:

Lithuania:

Kalnietis, Lekavicius, Jokubaitis
    Grigonis, R. Giedraitis
    Ulanovas, Kuzminskas
    Sabonis, Maciulis, Sedekerskis
    Valanciunas, Gudaitis

Slovenia

Doncic, A. Nikolić
    Prepelic, Z. Dragic, Z.Sisko
    V. Cancar, J. Blažič
    J. Morgan, E. Muric
    G. Vidmar, Ž. Dimec

Who would win?

It's closer than I actually thought. Now Slovenia has best Euro FIBA player in the planet without single doubt and likely best FIBA players of the world overall. Prepelic, Dragic, Morgan and currently in NBA Cancar are all EL level players (Sisko also plays in EL with a little role). On other hand a bit soft and liable defensively and rather naked at frontline.

Lithuania has much more balance, all EL quality generally, increasing guard rotation, but no true game changer or finisher.

It's sad to say, because Lithuania is so much deeper and more fundamental, for one crazy do or die game, Slovenia has an edge. They simply have more guts and sharper teeth to make things from perimeter, to kill the beast with skill and scoring punch. Lithuania's chances would lay in three first quarters, if there's no obvious separation, Slovenia has much more tools in their hands. It's not only Doncic who is a nightmare in FIBA and noone will let him go without plus 20 and some 8 assists, 8 rebounds, but also Prepelic has killers instincts as he showed in 2007EB, plus Zoran Dragic is very much alive still.

If Slovenia comes without Doncic, it's 70/30 Lithuania takes it, if not more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

If there'll be no Doncic, then it might be vital who will coach Slovenia... I'm not following their situation lately on that matter, does they negotiate with someone, but without Doncic they would rely on coaching a lot, especially since Maskoliunas is yet to impress, that could be a key for Slovenian chances

Its Slovenia without a doubt. Rosterwise the first 2 spots are more important than the last two. Lithuanias bigs need its guards to create and with the pair Kalnietis/ Grigonis you cant use efficient your big advantage. Sabonis would probably be able to create for himself and in a restricted way for others but JV is totally dependent and needs creation from others.

I dont see any Lithuanian guard to stop either Doncic let alone Dragic who is too fast and versatile for European guards. Bringing Lekavicius against Doncic would be like throwing a chicken in a serpents cave. And I dont want to sound respectless but Kalnietis is also famous for his defense.

So what do we have here. Lithuanian Guards that cant stop their opponents and have trouble to create. Doncic as well as Dragic are everything else than solid defenders but Doncic is huge and cause Kalnietis big problems.

But why calculate with Dragic who declared his retirement? Well, without Dragic despite Doncic the disadvantages of the other 4 spots would be too overwhelming. Not a big problem for Lithuania.

Those Slovenian role players are definitely not to be underestimated. Prepelič, Nikolić, Blažič, Murić, Šiško, Čančar...they are capable players even without Dončić. Lithuania is favorite but that should be interesting game. Importance of the game, home court pressure, expectations...those are all factors to deal with for Lithuania being a clear favourite. Coaching will also be huge in this one.

Lithuania, on the other side, often beats stronger opponents on paper with fanatic defense and beating up key opponent players. If refs decide to let a "hard criteria" it goes in their favour. No need to undervalue Lithuania. Best system in all national teams in Europe. Players look ofter better than in their clubs. With or without Doncic, I really don't see that Slovenia is favourite here. Anyways, would love to see Dragic one last time as their federation tries to get connected with him about this issue. Fucking calendar will make it impossible unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Lithuania, on the other side, often beats stronger opponents on paper with fanatic defense and beating up key opponent players. If refs decide to let a "hard criteria" it goes in their favour. No need to undervalue Lithuania. Best system in all national teams in Europe. Players look ofter better than in their clubs. With or without Doncic, I really don't see that Slovenia is favourite here. Anyways, would love to see Dragic one last time as their federation tries to get connected with him about this issue. Fucking calendar will make it impossible unfortunately.
    Slovenia is definitely not a favorite here, Lithuania has many advantages over them, but I think they won't be easy to deal with.

Agree. Would be one of the best qualification matches in all 4 tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Well, during Kazlauskas' tenure, Liths had a clear system based on their defense. Since his departure, I think they have been struggling to rediscover their identity. Defense hasn't been that good, and offense has been stagnant without proper ball movement. Now, with Jokubaitis and some new emerging offensively oriented players offense should be better, and it will be interesting to see will they make a shift in their identity, because now they have more assets to build better offense than defense.

Generally I still see a lot of structure in their games. I could even see it during our friendly games before WC in Belgrade and Kaunas. We beat them with quite wild run and gun but they (except 3rd quarter in Kaunas where they had to risk) simply played their sets down in both games.

For me Lithuania 2015 is a masterpiece of making every player better than he is in a system, Kuzminskas looked like LeBron, Kauzlaskas as genius coach, as you said surely was something little different than now, but I still see chances quite high that they will be fanatically playing defense. It's simply their nature, also in WC when they didn't advance they played formidable defense both against FRA and AUS and to be honest with you I think they were better team in both games as far as I remember.

Future is high for Lithuania. I love games against them - it's a wealthy decade builded rivalry that is always hard fought. I really would like to play Lietuva in Olympics and have high admiration for their basketball principles. Players are intelligent, well trained and schooled. Many similarities to our philosophy besides all differences.

They will have more depth and more talent than in some previous years, top 5 contenders in any competition probably, assuming Jokubaitis and some other players continue their development. Most important for them, I think, their guard rotation will be much better. Kalnietis/Lekavicius/Jokubaitis + Grigonis/Giedraitis is much better guard ratation than before. They don't have to depend on Kalnietis all that much anymore, they have a nice shooter in Giedraitis, emerging Jokubaitis and much better Lekavicius, with Sabonis/Valanciunas and couple of more good role players like Ulanovas and Kuzminskas, they are in a good position.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast