View Poll Results: Which team is going to Tokyo?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brazil

2 11.76%
  • Croatia

7 41.18%
  • Germany

8 47.06%
  • Mexico

0 0%
  • Russia

0 0%
  • Tunisia

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Qualifying Tournament - CROATIA

Default Olympic Qualifying Tournament - CROATIA

The tournament will be held in Split, Croatia between June 23-28, 2020.

Group Team Qualification FIBA World Ranking
    A Germany 18th at the 2019 WC 18th
    A Russia 12th at the 2019 WC 9th
    A Mexico Wild Card 25th
    B Croatia Wild Card 14th
    B Brazil 13th at the 2019 WC 11th
    B Tunisia 20th at the 2019 WC 33rd

The first two teams of each group qualifies, and play each other to reach the final. The winner of the final goes to the Olympics.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

I honestly think this is the most open group. I could see Croatia, Germany, Brazil, Russia, and yeah even Mexico coming out of this. Croatia's got the home court so that makes me think they'll have a slight edge.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Default Why Is It Important For A Guard To Shoot 3pts?

CAN MAKE THE OTHER TEAM PLAY "HONEST DEFENSE"

The ability to make a 3 point shot gives you three abilities in the offense. You get an ample space where the bigger player in your team can play under the basket. Your playmaking guards get the seam they need to drive the ball to the basket. But most importantly, the other team needs to play honest defense because the 3 point acts as a punishment to them for giving too much space to the shooter.
    The strength of the team comes from having a multi-skilled guard who can shoot 3 and drive the ball as well. This way, they can post the feed and penetrate at the same time to make the score.

Brazil coach Aleksandar Petrovic announced 25 name roster for qualies. As always some long living veterans, few NBAers, few ACB players, some local league stars. They can compose quite interesting roster again and maybe make some noise like in 2019, as always they are a bit unpredictable team, can beat some favs, can lose to some underdogs

Anderson Varejăo
    Augusto Lima
    Alexey Borges
    Alex Garcia
    Bruno Caboclo
    Cristiano Felício
    Caio Pacheco
    Didi Louzada
    Guilherme Santos
    George de Paula
    Jhonatan Luz
    Lucas Dias
    Lucas Mariano
    Léo Demétrio
    Léo Meindl
    Márcio Henrique
    Marquinhos
    Marcelinho Huertas
    Raulzinho
    Rafael Luz
    Rafael Hetsheimeir
    Rafael Mineiro
    Scott Machado
    Vitor Benite
    Yago dos Santos

Unfamiliar with anyone on the Croatian squad who didn’t play in Rio or the NBA, which is most of them. Anyone have thoughts? Kind of intrigued by Dominik Mavra based on some very cursory browsing.

We have no chance at all.

UKIĆ Roko Leni – Split
    ROGIĆ Roko – Mitteldeutscher BC
    KATIĆ Toni – Dinamo Sassari
    GNJIDIĆ Lovro – Cibona
    KRUŠLIN Filip – Dinamo Sassari
    SIMON Krunoslav – Anadolu Efes
    DREŽNJAK Mateo – Cibona
    JORDANO Antonio – Zadar
    PERKOVIĆ Toni – Split
    TIŠMA Boris – Real Betis (Real Madrid)
    BOGDANOVIĆ Bojan – Utah Jazz
    HEZONJA Mario – Panathinaikos Athens
    MARČINKOVIĆ Pavle – Split
    RAMLJAK Ivan – Slask Wroclaw
    GABRIĆ Tomislav – Baskets Oldenburg
    PERASOVIĆ Ivan – Split
    ŠAKIĆ Željko – Avtodor Saratov
    BENDER Dragan – Maccabi Tel Aviv
    BILAN Miro -Dinamo Sassari
    PLANINIĆ Darko – Cibona
    ŠARIĆ Dario – Phoenix Suns
    ZUBAC Ivica – LA Clippers
    ŽIŽIĆ Ante Toni – Maccabi Tel Aviv

Ukic - Simon - Bogdanovic - Saric - Zubac sounds like a good starting five. Maybe less mobile and physical than other teams but somehow talented and with potential for grind also (what Croatia lacks a little the last years). Surprise for me is that Prkacin isn't on the list. Also on the bench a lot of young talents and with Miro Bilan one of best players of Italy this year, duo from Maccabi etc. A team that really can achieve something if they finally build some cohesion and define their proper roles internally. But as it seems the circus already begun because some players are not happy that Hezonja has been invited. Split is a very hot ground for a tournament, if there are spectators of course - but one of hottest in all word 100%. If Croatia wants to achieve something they will have to stick their asses together and build a group and yeah, Bogdanovic should be alpha and omega of this group. Biggest gap is playmaker of international quality, everything else is there. In theory a great team that maybe lacks a little physicality and potential to go uptempo. But highely talented roster. All the best for Croatia. We all can hope that they make the next step and their fans would deserve it.

Here comes Mexican extended list. If I didn't miss anyone, there are all the best players available: starting with GSW's Juan Toscano, legendary veteran Gustavo Ayon, former NBA guard now playing in Europe Jorge Gutierrez, other European based guys who should lead the team like Alex Perez, Francisco Cruz

Great South American rosters both Uruguaian and Mexican.

I am happy we will play Mexico in Athens. As far as I remember we never played them last 30 years but I love their sports culture a lot. Can't wait.

Mindo, thanks for sharing this rosters with us. Updates are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Great South American rosters both Uruguaian and Mexican.

I am happy we will play Mexico in Athens. As far as I remember we never played them last 30 years but I love their sports culture a lot. Can't wait.

Mindo, thanks for sharing this rosters with us. Updates are great.
    No probs, mate You added up Balkan stuff, I can do some Latino. The more info we have, the better. Can't wait for it all to start And yeah, Mexico is quite rare guest on world wide bball scene, but they are surely not pushovers, we played them in 2014 world cup and it was far from an easy game, it took time for us to break them. Sure, Don Gustavo was younger, but I think they might be pain in the ass if they'll get the best roster possible. Btw, their group rivals Russia also announced the list yesterday:

Khvostov (Zenit), M.Kulagin (Enisey), Strebkov (N.Novgorod), Kardanakhishvili (CSKA-2), Umrikhin (CSKA-2)
    D.Kulagin (without club), Ukhov (CSKA), Baburin (N.Novgorod), Komolov (N.Novgorod), Motovilov (Kuban)
    Kurbanov (CSKA), Astapkovich (N.Novgorod), Kvitkovskyh (Avtodor)
    Vorontsevich (N.Novgorod), Zubkov (Zenit), Antonov (CSKA), Valyev (Khimki), Gafurov (CSKA-2)
    Bolomboy (CSKA), Mozgov (Khimki), Ivlev (Parma), Gontar (N.Novgorod)

No Shved as expected, no Karasev, probably also decided to rest as it was injury plagued season, no veterans like Fridzon, a bit surprisingly to me that some Zaytsev wasn't called up, he did really well in Khimki with Shved out. But there's Mozgov, who was back and played with Khimki lately. Interesting how D.Kulagin will look like who skipped all season, he suppose to be one of the key guys there

Since I follow basketball I cannot remeber a weaker Russia nominally and I follow since USSR times (which were of course another dimension).

With this team I cannot think that they will make it in very tough Croatian tournament.

Since I follow basketball I cannot remeber a weaker Russia nominally and I follow since USSR times (which were of course another dimension).

With this team I cannot think that they will make it in very tough Croatian tournament.
    Yeah, thats weak, to me it's between 2019 and this roster as the worst one. In 2019 they had no proper PG, two guys from 2nd Russian division, no C so Vorontsevich had to play as one, Karasev totally out of shape. But this roster can match it. Only good thing for them could be all that NN crew, that was a club with probably only 1 foreigner, Russians had lot of playing time, which is very rare thing to happen. And they made it to BCL final stage, gave a good fight to CSKA in VTB, even snatching one game. But that's probably only one positive thing and hardly will be enough

Yeah this happens if you dont let a young russian prospect play in the Russian VTB. Russia maybe havent reached much in the youth tournaments in the last decade but they always had competitive teams and promising prospect like Nikita Mikhailovski, Alexander Shashkov, Pavel Savkov and my boi Iaroslav Niagu who made a huge jump this season but most of the hasnt been playing.

Maybe the Russian guys should follow the Turkish path and go to weaker leagues where they can take bigger roles and more responsibility.

Tunisia will start 2nd phase of preparations soon, Dirk Bauermann announced the list of 17 players that will join in. As always all the veterans are there, some already 40yo. Salah Mejri should join as well. Still no Michael Roll of course, but not sure if he will join at all

https://www.ftbb.org.tn/liste-des-jo...e-preparation/

Brazil's coach Aco Petrovic travels to Europe with 17 players. Didi who had a stint with New Orleans in NBA asked not to be invited, the same like Gui Santos. Then other players left out were Augusto Lima, Scott Machado, Alexey Borges, Jhonatan Luz, Rafael Mineiro and Marcio Henrique. These are 17 remaining:

Marcelo Huertas (Tenerife,SPA), Rafa Luz (Nevezis,LTU), Yago dos Santos (Flamengo)
    Raul Neto (Wizards,NBA), Vitor Benite (Burgos,SPA), Georginho (Sao Paulo), Caio Pacheco (Bahia,ARG)
    Marquinhos (Flamengo), Leo Meindl (Fuenlabrada,SPA), Alex Garcia (Bauru)
    Bruno Caboclo (Limoges,FRA), Leo Demetrio (Flamengo), Lucas Dias (Franca)
    Anderson Varejao (Cavaliers,NBA), Cristiano Felicio (Bulls,NBA), Rafa Hettsheimeir (Flamengo), Lucas Mariano (Sao Paulo)

Dragan Bender got seriously injured in Israeli league game and is out for OQT. Quite a loss for Croatia, especially if Saric and Zubac will still be in NBA PO

Croatian fans must get really pissed watching nba playoofs 2021. In any other year seeing their best players Bogdanovich (Jazz) and Saric (Suns) meeting in confe finals would be a joy ,but not this year.

Jazz and Suns have 1-0 leads in their serries and their teams all year long 1 and 2 seed teams in west and so far showing that in playoofs too.

Croatia have very little chance winning tournament if no Bogdanovich and Saric.

I believe Bogdanovich is as important to Croatia and Doncic is to Slovenia.

They maybe could survive without Saric,but not without Bogs 25pts every game.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 06-09-2021 at 05:25 AM.

Danilo Barthel (Fenerbahce Istanbul/Türkei), Robin Benzing (Casademont Saragossa/Spanien), Isaac Bonga (Washington Wizards), Niels Giffey, Maodo Lo, Johannes Thiemann (alle Alba Berlin), Philipp Herkenhoff (Rasta Vechta), Justus Hollatz (Hamburg Towers), Leon Kratzer (Telekom Baskets Bonn), Andreas Obst (ratiopharm Ulm), Joshiko Saibou (Champagne Basket Reims/Frankreich), Dennis Schröder (Los Angeles Lakers), Johannes Voigtmann (ZSKA Moskau), Moritz Wagner (Orlando Magic), Lukas Wank (Löwen Braunschweig), Jan-Niklas Wimberg (Niners Chemnitz)

PG Schröder/Lo/Hollatz/Wank
    SG Obst/Giffey/Saibou
    SF Benzing/Bonga/(Giffey)
    PF Barthel/Wagner/Herkenhoff/Wimberg
    C Voigtmann/Thiemann/Kratzer

Zipser, Jallow, Sengfelder, Kleber and Pleiss are injured. Theis and Hartentein skipped in favor of their next contract. I better hide my honest opinion to that. All in all does our roster look average at best and it seriously lacks defense.

Has Pleiss been contacted by your federation? I remember they had some beef when he avoided playing for Germany?
    Really a pitty, Germany could have a great team this summer, this is still a team that can cause trouble to everyone.

PS: Is Thiemann better than Zirbes?! I doubt that really from what I've seen.

Has Pleiss been contacted by your federation? I remember they had some beef when he avoided playing for Germany?
    Really a pitty, Germany could have a great team this summer, this is still a team that can cause trouble to everyone.

PS: Is Thiemann better than Zirbes?! I doubt that really from what I've seen.
    Yeah they have actually contacted Pleiss. Thats something I am really glad about. Pleiss left the national team five years ago as he had a legit opportunity to receive a NBA contract. I was also mad at him, but I think enough time has passed to forgive.

From what I have seen of Zirbes and Thiemann over the last couple of years I don´t have to think for a second who earns his spot. No wonder as Zirbes has not played serious basketball recently. Moreover Thiemann is one of our better defenders and can stretch the floor, something what is crucial with Schröder and Lo at the point guard position. I am not objective though as I have never liked Zirbes, meanwhile Thiemann is from Bamberg and I used to know some people who knows him since he has made his first steps on the court. Anyway there is a consensus in the german basketball bubble about the nomination of Thiemann.

Hollatz is a great prospect at a position we lack quality and depth. Normally he is not ready to perform at such a stage, but I like his fearless mindset and his eagerness to become a better player. He really is a smart kid and clever player and I am looking forward to see him improve over the next years. Obst played a great season and has definitely the potential to be a factor this summer. His shooting performance in this season was unreal and he finally made the transition from a pure shooter to a more all around scorer. I am really excited to see him perform on such a high level. Herkenhoff was injured most time of the season, but he has been in a good shape recently and should be able contribute some valuable minutes to support our frontcourt. The rest of the team should be known.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast