No announcement yet.

Olympic Qualifying Tournament - CANADA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kosta Koufos is signing with Olympiacos. So since he is back in action it will be very interesting to see how his game will recover during the remainder of the season. He didn't have any playing time at CSKA. He will definitely have playing time for the reds. This means that, should he get back in shape, there is a probability he will be playing for the Greek NT this summer. So names like Bourousis, Koufos and Spanoulis are names which may all be on the table now for the OQT.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Nice to see Chris Boucher grow into a player that could be extremely important for Canada. Still an odd player at 6'10, 200 pounds, but has now become a fairly dynamic player. Elite shot blocker (rim and 3pt line) with a decent three point shot who can put points on the board very quickly.

I'm not quite sure yet where I rank him among Canada's bigs - but some argument can be made he is the best right now. He hasn't had too much exposure to the FIBA, but at least he plays under Coach Nurse. Tough to see him defending bigger European centers, but he could be a nice stretch 4.

Comment

Jamal Murray has torn something in his leg and is definitely out for the Olympics. With that being said the best Canadian player is out. Wiggins and Shai Alexander are the next two guys whose influence could be decisive. Not that I wish them to get injured but I am not sure if they participate or not. Canada will be strong anyway but the question is are the Canadians gonna be beatable or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
          Jamal Murray has torn something in his leg and is definitely out for the Olympics. With that being said the best Canadian player is out. Wiggins and Shai Alexander are the next two guys whose influence could be decisive. Not that I wish them to get injured but I am not sure if they participate or not. Canada will be strong anyway but the question is are the Canadians gonna be beatable or not.
          Devastating loss to Canada.
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
            Devastating loss to Canada.

That is a bad injury for Canada for any Olympic medal hopes. However, I didn't anticipate Murray playing in the Qualifier. If he was to join Team Canada it was likely going to be if Canada was fortunate enough to Qualify. I really hope he gets back to 100%, no matter the time line (9-12 months expected).

SGA with his plantar fasciitis is also a big concern - but it looks like OKC may be overly cautious here to help their tanking. I'm still 50/50 on whether he plays.

Still lots to be excited about. From Lu Dort dropping 42 points last night while being one of the best young defenders in the NBA. RJ Barrett's remarkable improvement over the last year into a truly efficient player. Chris Boucher also as a Most Improved Player candidate along with Barrett. Dillon Brooks getting much better with his efficiency. CoJo, Khem Birch and Olynyk were all traded and into better situations as per their chance to play in the Qualifier. They all have contract issues that I originally thought would keep them out, but I'm not so sure about that now for various reasons. I think we get one or two of those three for the Qualifier. Wiggins is still being elusive but him and Nurse are talking regularly.

Here is my current rundown of key players into Probable/Maybe/Unlikely with some color behind each.

Cory Joseph (Maybe): Captain Canada, perhaps the most capped NBA player of the last decade. DET has a team option for ~$12MM for 21/22 which seems an overpay (but he is playing really well for DET right now so who knows?). 6/30 deadline which essentially makes him a FA. But if anyone is going to play w/o a certain contract it'll be CoJo.

Shai Gilgeous Alexander (Maybe): OKC isn't making the playoffs so SGA should technically be available. However he is not far from a max deal, so expect that he'll be pressured heavily by his agent (and OKC) to not play. Critical player for Canada.

Kevin Pangos (Probable): Vet of the 2019 WC team, has had a fantastic bounce back season with Zenit in the EuroLeague. One of the top PGs in Europe this season. His FIBA experience would be extremely valuable to any rendition of Team Canada.

Luguentz Dort (Probable): Yet to play for the SMNT nor made public statements about playing, he's played for Canada at FIBA youth levels. Signed through 22/23 but will get some pressure not to play from agent/club (as most young players do) but not as much as SGA. Quickly becoming a really good two-way player.

RJ Barrett (Probable): Pops is the GM! Led U19 team to Gold! Knicks likely don't go far in the playoffs! On the record multiple times on his desire to play! Add it all up and I'd be very surprised if RJ isn't there. Could be the best player on the team if SGA doesn't show up.

Dillon Brooks (Probable): Secure contract, has stated multiple times he intends to play. Grizz will miss or won't go far in the playoffs. Showed up to the 2019 WC camp even though injured - Dillon wants to play.

Andrew Wiggins (Maybe): Long hiatus with Team Canada (2015) & hearing it from fans/media. Often asked and although elusive it seems he might be ready to once again suit up. GSW won't go far (or miss), contract is secure & even Nurse noted that they've been talking

Nickeil Alexander Walker (Likely): Pelicans won't make the playoffs. Regular member of Canada's FIBA youth teams (not yet the SMNT). Will still get the agent/club pressure not to play

Brandon Clarke (Maybe): Never played for Canada, never played a minute of FIBA, but we've seen him wearing Team Canada gear (probably forced on him by Dillon Brooks!). Grizz won't go far, but he's on his rookie deal and will get pressure

Chris Boucher (Likely): Pulled out last second from the WC team due to agent pressure, but now w/ a semi-secured contract. Non-guaranteed until after moratorium, but you'd think Toronto exercises and tells him their intent. You never know, so its still an issue

Kelly Olynyk (Maybe): HOU isn't making the playoffs, but KOs a UFA, which usually don't play. Seeing some nuggets that Kelly may play anyways. One of the most dedicated NBA vets & a team leader who will do his best to play. Feeling good about KO, but no sure thing

Khem Birch (Maybe): Almost a sure thing, but for his UFA status. He's said many times how much he loves repping Canada and playing for Nurse. Also indicated he will play regardless of contract status. Recent signing with Raps bodes well - perhaps they handshake

Trey Lyles (Unlikely) Regularly played FIBA for Canada in youth, but never at senior level. Not often vocal about a desire to play. Will be a UFA and I'd be surprised if he plays

Tristan Thompson (Maybe): One of the NBA vets who has repped Canada often (but not as much recently). Guaranteed contract for 21/22 but with an uncertain playoff run by Boston there still a solid chance TT plays.

Dwight Powell (Unlikely): Secure contract on a team that may not go far in the playoffs. Has often shown up for Canada in the past. But he's had a down year coming off a very difficult injury (Achilles). This may be a summer he takes off to focus on health

Many other excellent players to fill roles. Some Canada's top Euro players and SMNT vets like Dyshawn Pierre, Melvin Ejim, Phil & Thomas Scrubb, Kyle Wiltjer & Kassius Robertson could (should?) be there. Perhaps other NBA'rs like Oshae Brissett (Indiana) & Mychal Mulder (Golden State)

Tough to see any role for Nate Darling (Charlotte) or Karim Mane (Orlando). Perhaps Mfiondu Kabengele (Cleveland) if the bigs don't turn up. Other non-NBA NT newbies like Marial Shayok (BSL), Simi Shittu (G-League), Dylan Ennis (ACB/BCL) or Kyle Alexander (ACB) could find a place. Even Nik Stuaskas (G-League) is out there.

Still lots of "ifs" and "maybes" out there. Hopefully we start hearing more substantial news soon.
            Last edited by mojo13; 04-14-2021, 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
              Still lots of "ifs" and "maybes" out there. Hopefully we start hearing more substantial news soon.
              That's always the troubling part when it comes to Team Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                That's always the troubling part when it comes to Team Canada.

Pretty much the same for every other country with NBA players right now.

Comment

Originally posted by YixingLao
                  Based on the options, I am betting on Canada! Toronto Raptors all the way man! I also have to agree with mojo13. Andrew Nicholson and Luguentz Dort are just fantastic players! They really are great assets for their own teams. I would just have to add that my favourite (to which I think one of the few people that will bring canada to tokyo) is DeMar DeRozan. This guy is so humble that he doesn’t notice his potential. After all, he is the team’s all-time leading scorer. Thanks to his almost a decade of loyalty to the team, the country’s basketball culture also grew.
                  DeMar DeRozan isn't a Canadian though. The only Canadian on the Raptors team is Khem Birch. Like every other NBA team, the Raptors are just a bunch of (mostly American) hired mercenaries.

Last edited by Hepcat; 04-16-2021, 10:23 PM.

Comment

DeMar DeRozan isn't a Canadian though. The only Canadian on the Raptors team is Khem Birch. Like every other NBA team, the Raptors are just a bunch of (mostly American) hired mercenaries.

Same can be said for most European teams too.

Comment

Chris Boucher is Canadian as well. With Birch there now, it makes the Raptors with the most Canadians of any NBA club. Along with OKC, GSW and Memphis. All with two a piece.

Comment

Good update on the Victoria Olympic Qualifier here:

I'm still not fully convinced it will take place in Victoria - but cases are finally going down (after a very significant outbreak).

Comment

With the NBA playoffs shaping up and teams eliminated the Canadian media is starting to press players a little more on their participation in Victoria.
                          Khem Birch basically committed yesterday and Kelly Olynyk punted saying he wants to play but is unsure with his free agency. Brandon Clarke said he intends to play last week, along with 2nd hand reports that SGA and Lu Dort intend to play. It is quite the game keeping up with the Canadians and absolutely nothing is certain until we actually see these guys in camp (any "lists" from Canada Basketball are near useless) but here is a bit of a running list for those interested:

Currently Out of Playoffs:
                          Khem Birch: Free agent, but directly stated he is playing
                          Chris Boucher: No news
                          NAW: No news
                          Lu Dort: Indirect reports that he intends to play.
                          SGA: Possible injury. Indirect reports that he intends to play.
                          Cory Joseph: Partial guarantee. No news
                          Kelly Olynyk: Free agent. Directly stated he wants to play, but unsure.
                          Mfiondu Kabengele: No news
                          Nate Darling: No news

Currently In Playoffs:
                          Dillon Brooks: No news, likely intends to play.
                          Brandon Clarke: Directly stated he is interested in playing
                          RJ Barrett: Directly stated he intends to play (if available)
                          Tristan Thompson: No news
                          Dwight Powell: No news
                          Trey Lyles: Free agent, No news
                          Andrew Wiggins: No news. Direct reports from Nick Nurse that they are talking
                          Mychal Mulder: No news
                          Oshae Brisset: No news

Injured:
                          Jamal Murray: Out
                          Tyler Ennis: Out?

Non-NBA:
                          Kevin Pangos: No news
                          Kyle Wiltjer: No news
                          Dyshawn Pierre: No news
                          Melvin Ejim: No news
                          Marial Shayok: No news
                          Phil Scrubb: No news
                          Thomas Scubb: No news
                          Andrew Nicholson: No news
                          Dylan Ennis: No news
                          Nik Stauskas: No news
                          Anthony Bennett: No news

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                            ...Kelly Olynyk punted saying he wants to play but is unsure with his free agency.
                            Interesting. Kelly Olynyk's presence was in past years pretty well reliable.

Comment

Its not even fully clarified that the tournament will take place... I had no problem to wait one more year

Comment

Interesting. Kelly Olynyk's presence was in past years pretty well reliable.

Free agency for Canadian and American NBA players usually means they are not playing.
                                I typically count out any free agent...but this year seems a little different. Khem Birch already saying he is playing regardless. Kelly Olynyk after everything he has said, clearly wants to play, and I think he might. 50/50 right now.

I also failed to mention that Lu Dort and Dillion Brooks also both stated they intend to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information