No announcement yet.

Olympic Qualifying Tournament - CANADA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China announced it’s 27 man player pool for the FIBA Olympic Qualifier in Victoria. No one of note missing. They are in Pool A alongside Canada and Greece.

BEIJING (China) - China have announced a 27-player training camp roster ahead of the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Victoria as they take aim to make a tenth straight appearance in the Summer...

Comment

Turkey announced its 29 man player pool today. Osman, Korkmaz, Larkin, Ilyasova, Sengun, Yurtseven highlight the list. Any major omissions?

Ege Arar Aliağa Petkim Spor
      Sertaç Şanlı Anadolu Efes
      A.Buğrahan Tuncer Anadolu Efes
      Tolga Geçim Anadolu Efes
      Deshane Davis Larkin Anadolu Efes
      Erkan Yılmaz Bahçeşehir Koleji
      Şehmus Hazer Beşiktaş JK Icrypex
      Furkan Haltalı Beşiktaş JK Icrypex
      Alperen ŞengĂĽn Beşiktaş JK Icrypex
      Sadık Emir Kabaca Beşiktaş JK Icrypex
      Berk Demir DarĂĽşşafaka Tekfen
      Doğuş Ă–zdemiroğlu DarĂĽşşafaka Tekfen
      Melih Mahmutoğlu Fenerbahçe Beko
      Ă–mer Can İlyasoğlu Frutti Extra Bursaspor
      Hüseyin Göksenin Köksal Galatasaray
      Ayberk Olmaz Galatasaray
      Yiğit Arslan Galatasaray
      Akif Egemen GĂĽven HDI Sigorta Afyon Belediyesi
      J.Metecan Birsen Pınar Karşıyaka
      Onuralp Bitim Pınar Karşıyaka
      Muhsin Yaşar Tofaş
      Berkan Durmaz Tofaş
      Berk İbrahim Uğurlu Tofaş
      Samet Geyik TĂĽrk Telekom
      Cedi Osman Cleveland Cavaliers / ABD
      Ă–mer Faruk Yurtseven Miami Heat / ABD
      Kartal Ă–zmızrak Obradoiro CAB / İspanya
      Furkan Korkmaz Philadelphia 76ers / ABD
      Ersan İlyasova Utah Jazz/ ABD

Comment

Some news on Greece too.

Rick Pitino landing in Greece on Friday, counting on Spanoulis

"Greek national team head coach Rick Pitino is expected back in Greece on Friday and prep his side for the Olympic Qualifying Tournament scheduled to be held from 29 June to 4 July in Victoria, Canada.

The preliminary list of players will be released within the next few days upon his arrival. Vassilis Spanoulis will be among the players called up.

Spanoulis, 38, had not ruled out his return to the national team for the first time since the 2015 edition of EuroBasket. He was indeed projected as the team leader by Pitino, also the Iona boss.

He last played helping Olympiacos defeat Khimki Moscow Region in the Turkish Airlines EuroLeague Regular Season finale. Since completing his campaign at the club level, the well-experienced captain of the Reds has been training daily aiming to remain in optimal shape. The Greek NT staff is confident in him strengthening the Olympic Games bid.

On another note, Giannis Antetokounmpo is unlikely to make his way to the preliminary list with the Milwaukee Bucks looking for an extended run in the 2021 NBA Playoffs."

Comment

No, you pointed it out correctly. These 6 guys are the top guys of this team. You could have also mentioned Sertac Sanli who is making waives in EL but its ok. The major European role player are James Metecan Birsen who took a solid role with Karsiyaka and played FIBA CL final as well as Sehmus Hazer who has been taking a major role with Besiktas and Melih Mahmutoglu despite playing a horrible season so far he brings experience on the table.

Rest is not ready for National team.

Comment

Is there some sort of deadline to announce a player pool and what is the size?
            Many seem to be coming out lately with China, Slovenia and Turkey all in the last 24 hours. All 24-29 players.

I don't expect much publicly from Team Canada even if they have to submit something formal. The main challenge for Canada is figuring out who is playing and they will likely come down to the wire.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
              Many seem to be coming out lately with China, Slovenia and Turkey all in the last 24 hours. All 24-29 players.

I don't expect much publicly from Team Canada even if they have to submit something formal. The main challenge for Canada is figuring out who is playing and they will likely come down to the wire.
              These rosters were declared officially and you cant put another guy from outside in this list. Turkeys wide roster was made because of possible covit problems etc. I dont think that you have to reduce your size so it means you can make a 12 men roster out of these 29 guys. Turkey will shorten it anyway in time but i dont think there is a official restriction.

Comment

I think Giannis should be in preliminary list.

I dont see Bucks beating both Miami and Nets teams in back to back serries in first 2 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                  I think Giannis should be in preliminary list.

I dont see Bucks beating both Miami and Nets teams in back to back serries in first 2 rounds.
                  Rumors out there that he isnt playing regardless if the Bucks lose early. Why else wouldn't he be on the prelim list? They wouldn't leave him off unless he definitely says he is not playing. Sounds like we will see the prelim list this week.

Comment

Rumors out there that he isnt playing regardless if the Bucks lose early. Why else wouldn't he be on the prelim list? They wouldn't leave him off unless he definitely says he is not playing. Sounds like we will see the prelim list this week.
                    i dont know where those rumours comes,but from what i saw Giannis is in playing for Greece.

He sign already long max contract and it can be his first Olympic games.

Almost all even american nba MVPs played or wanted to play in Olympic summer.

I would be very suprised if Giannis is free and not trying to help Greece make Olympic games.

Even Kawhi Leonard load management expert agrees to play in Olympics without rest after nba season

Thats says alot how all even best of the best world athletes sees Olympic games.
                    Last edited by Shawshank; 05-18-2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

FIBA regulations say the deadline for submitting a preliminary roster of up to 24 players is seven days before the start of the tournanemnt, although in practice teams are going to announce their rosters before they start training. The final roster can include up to two players who were not on the preliminary roster.
                      Originally posted by Fedfan
                      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                      Originally posted by GuTO
                      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Here is yet another report implying Giannis is not playing.

Spanoulis, 38, last played for the Greek national team back in 2015. Other players considered are Tyler Dorsey and Kostas Koufos, as noted by Pitino. However, Giannis and Thanasis Antetokounmpo will not be on his list.

Who knows if these are accurate reports, but this is the 3rd or 4th one I have seen.

Comment

After closely watching last 3 grizzlies games i was really suprised how good Dillon Brooks is.

I have a feeling he can be Canadian emotional leader this summer.His playing style is perfect for fiba ,fantastic defender , really plays with emotion and competes hard.

Wiggins and Shai is more tallented,but heart of canadian team easily can become Dillon.

I was more was rooting for Valanciunas play well,but wanted Grizzlies do not get to playoofs for JV get rest,but how hard Grizzlies fought in last 3 games to make the playoofs they really deserved to be there.

Happy for Grizzlies big 3 Morant,Brooks and Valanciunas.

Not the most impressive big trio in nba,but damm sure great fighters and their skillsets fits nicely on the floor .
                          Last edited by Shawshank; 05-22-2021, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Giannis will probably not play because he will not have time to prepare. Other than that, all the rest are rumors. If Bucks loose early, anything goes.
                            PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

It seems Wiggins committed to play for Canada. Big news after Murray injury

Comment

Wiggins commits. If Alexandre, Dillon Brooks, Barret and say Pangos will join him, Canada is pretty much unbeatable in this tournament.
                                LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                                Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                                Buzelis, Lelevicius
                                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information