No announcement yet.

Olympic Qualifying Tournament - CANADA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And a question for the Turkish posters - how confident are you in Furkan Korkmaz playing? I noticed the other day that his contract is non-guaranteed for 20/21 and the deadline to guarantee is July 10th. Any concern that holds him out from playing?
    not even 0,00001% concern about Furk playing. Never saw him not playing for Turkey. Ersan might say "no" but according to the rumors he will be with the team with a smaller role as the big brother with experience.

Comment

Turkey has good team. My vote is Turkey I hope to see them in Olympic
      Do you think you are a pro NBA fan? So you have to be able to pass this NBA quiz
      My Score was 90%

Comment

Ioannis Bourousis retires from the Greek NT. I know he is old and way past his prime but it is that type of beefy size I could see Canada struggling with.

Comment

I have Canada vs. Greece in the final, leaning Greece mostly because of history. I need to see Canada win one of these games before I believe.
          Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

A couple interesting things to note for Canada as of late.
            Andrew Nicholson is playing with Canada's AmeriCup Qualifier team and looked great in his first game. Rumors is he had a fractured relationship with Canada Basketball after being left off a WC Qualifier team when the NBA players showed up in the summer of 2018. He could be an important piece for Canada in the Olympic Qualifiers considering we'll possibly be without Tristan Thompson, Dwight Powell and Kelly Olynyk. He's had a pretty good career in China since leaving the NBA (really improved his 3pt shooting), but word on him is he is a volume scorer who needs allot of reps to be effective, but is still a mediocre defender (at best) - that may not be what we need on this team. He also has a wedding planned in June anyways so that could make him unavailable.

Luguentz Dort is another wing to put into the mix. He is just playing fantastic, physical defense in a starting role in OKC. He's looking like a young Marcus Smart out there routinely holding some of the best guards in the NBA to very subpar games. He is doing all the little things to help his team win and even contributing decently on offence. He could be another intriguing piece to a deadly Canadian guard/wing rotation - might be more valuable than RJ Barrett depending on need. Definitely looks better than Nickeil Alexander Walker right now.

The crop of wings/guards that should be available (no known conflicts) for Canada AND said they want to play include - Shai Gilgeous Alexander, Jamal Murray, Cory Joseph, Dillon Brooks, Luguentz Dort, RJ Barrett and Nickeil Alexander Walker. We will see how many actually show up, but that is a nice versatile crop of players. And if we can get Andrew Wiggins out there it adds a whole other dimension.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
              not even 0,00001% concern about Furk playing. Never saw him not playing for Turkey. Ersan might say "no" but according to the rumors he will be with the team with a smaller role as the big brother with experience.
              Yeah I get it....Arsen Ilyasov is getting up there in age nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                Yeah I get it....Arsen Ilyasov is getting up there in age nowadays.
                It is highly unlikely that Illyasova or Giannis will play in the qualifying tournament as the NBA finals will finish two days before the tournament starts. And the Bucks seem to be favorites to go all the way. So I think both Giannis and Thanassis are out for Greece. Also Bourousis is retired from the NT. It seems to me that Greece might be weaker than last year in OQT. Albeit they may be stronger if the qualify for the Olympics. Because I think that Pitino and Dorsey are just what this team needs.

Turkey without Illyasova. But Larkin is in. So I think Turkey will be stronger.

I don't know anything about Canada. It seems to me that they will be quite equipped playing at home. They will be the favorites.
                PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

The last game of the finals when it goes to last games ends one weak before the qualifying tournament starts. Ilyasova fell back in the rotation. I dont know what he is gonna say but he can participate. Its of course too early right now. Even if Bucks win the confence finals which is not clear. The west teams will be stronger from the playoffs.

Comment

With some clarity on the NBA schedule now set, here is a theoretically pool of Canadian NBA players most likely to miss the playoffs next season:

Very Likely:
                    RJ Barrett
                    Cory Joseph

Likely:
                    Trey Lyles
                    Dillon Brooks
                    Brandon Clarke
                    NAW

Maybe:
                    Khem Birch
                    SGA
                    LU Dort

??? FAs:
                    Tristan Thompson
                    Chris Boucher

Take 5 or 6 of this group and add in our best non-NBA players:
                    Kevin Pangos, Kyle Wiltjer, Tyler Ennis, Melvin Ejim, Andrew Nicholson, Dyshawn Pierre, Nik Stauskas and you have the potential for a very good team.

All hypothetical of course and some above will make the playoff - and some will get knocked out early and possibly become available. Point is, Canada should have access to some solid NBA players (if not our stars) and should be able to put together a decent team (on paper).

Comment

Didnt know that Lu Dort the offensive weapon was from Canada

Canada is of course the strongest team on the paper but Canada has also the biggest problems to motivate its players to participate. I also think the best solution would be a mix of European Canadians and some of the NBA. I just hope Murray wont come to play for the Qualifiers to have a small chance.

To evaluate our current situation. Our (probably) NBA guys Cedi Osman, Ersan Ilyasova and Omer Yurtseven should be able to participate. Ersan has a team option year but considering how few minutes he played I expect him to be traded to a weaker team. Its his last chance to enter a Olympic tournament so he will come like always. The only problem will be Furkan Korkmaz from the 76ers. (if he is not gonna be traded). Including Larkin who is the best player in Europe team Turkey would have a very strong offensive team.

PG: Larkin
                      SG: Dogus Ozemiroglu
                      SF: Cedi Osman
                      PF: Ersan Ilyasova
                      C: Omer Yurtseven

Bench:

PG: Dogus Balbay
                      SG: Furkan Korkmaz
                      SF: Birsen or Ulubay
                      PF: Berkan Durmaz
                      C: Alperen Sengün

Its the best team Turkey had in 10 years. Especially Sengün a 19 year old guy will pop up offensively. He has been playing in the Turkish fist league and has 20 points and 9 rebounds average being now 18 years old. This team has weaknesses but also very strong sides and can beat any team except Canada with NBA players in the Qualifiers

Comment

With some clarity on the NBA schedule now set, here is a theoretically pool of Canadian NBA players most likely to miss the playoffs next season:

Very Likely:
                        RJ Barrett
                        Cory Joseph

Likely:
                        Trey Lyles
                        Dillon Brooks
                        Brandon Clarke
                        NAW

Maybe:
                        Khem Birch
                        SGA
                        LU Dort

??? FAs:
                        Tristan Thompson
                        Chris Boucher

Take 5 or 6 of this group and add in our best non-NBA players:
                        Kevin Pangos, Kyle Wiltjer, Tyler Ennis, Melvin Ejim, Andrew Nicholson, Dyshawn Pierre, Nik Stauskas and you have the potential for a very good team.

All hypothetical of course and some above will make the playoff - and some will get knocked out early and possibly become available. Point is, Canada should have access to some solid NBA players (if not our stars) and should be able to put together a decent team (on paper).
                        Would love to see Murray in Maple Leaf Jersey.

Comment

Well, if some countries can have their NBA players and some countries can't, then Greece will be the underdog in this tournament. On that note, Greece will be highly dependent on the progess of players like Mitoglou, Papagiannis this season. Especially the latter. But I would say that one season is not enough for them to develop sufficiently. Koufos needs to get back into the picture as well, but that possibility seems bleak. The only bright side I see for Greece by this whole scenario is that Greece will be the underdog instead of the favorite.
                          PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Turoko (or others) - what's your take on Coach Ufuk's abrupt termination?

This a problem or a good thing?

Comment

Turoko (or others) - what's your take on Coach Ufuk's abrupt termination?

This a problem or a good thing?

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nationa...h-ufuk-sarica/
                              Coach Sarica did a terrible job so far so it might be difficult for the upcoming fiba window but it is great news for the Turkish BB on the long term since coach Ene who is supposed to be his successor is a great pick. Wasnt happy with some roster selections and roles of some players but well see how it is going to turn out.

Comment

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nationa...national-team/

Ioannis Bourousis retires from the Greek NT. I know he is old and way past his prime but it is that type of beefy size I could see Canada struggling with.
                                Basically he made up his mind and might join the team in the end.
                                1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information