Olympic Qualifying Tournament - CANADA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toruko View Post

I am not afraid of Greece at all. We are younger, faster longer and stronger than guys like Calathes or Sloukas. Just Giannis (if he comes) is a problem.
    Was just reading some older posts and fell on this, simply couldn't resist myself from laughing

Very curious to know how it feels to be that optimistic when you are basically one defeat away to miss Eurobasket to Sweden and the Netherlands to call yourselves a better team than Greek NT lmao
    1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Any relevant updates with Turkey and Greece?

As with Canada...you may be aware we were hit with a ~250K fine and docked points for skipping the AmeriCup Qualifier window in November. We can cut the fine in half and waive the point reduction by showing up to the bubble in Puerto Rico in this next window. But nothing out of Canada Basketball yet saying we are even doing that. Canada Basketball is not a wealthy organization and can't take fines like this.

Canada, in general, also continues to take Covid extremely seriously - much more so than most countries. This has me concerned we can even host the Victoria Qualifier. Or if we do, there will be no fans and Canada Basketball will take a tremendous financial hit. If Canada fails to host, there will be hell to pay with FIBA. Huge fines, suspension and FIBA anger for a long long time. It would be catastrophic.

Other than that nothing too new with the players. I'm watching the standings with a close eye, expecting those who miss the playoff to be the mostly likely to suit up for Canada.

Great to see Lu Dort, RJ Barrett and Chris Boucher among some of the most improved players in the NBA this season. Andrew Wiggins is having a very good season as well (he is suddenly efficient and an excellent defender). Any of the these could be very important players to Canada and possible starters in Victoria. Counter that with Dwight Powell, Cory Joseph, Dillon Brooks, Trey Lyles all seem to be struggling for different reasons.

If I had to rank the Canadian players, I think I'm something like this right now (this NBA focused - as I have different views with FIBA)

1. Jamal Murray
      2. SGA
      3. Andrew Wiggins
      4. RJ Barrett
      5. Luguentz Dort
      6. Chris Boucher
      7. Brandon Clarke
      8. Kelly Olynyk
      9. Khem Birch
      10. Tristan Thompson

Some good developments outside the NBA as well. Kevin Pangos continues with a very good bounce back season with Zenit. Dyshawn Pierre is looking really good with Fener. Marial Shayok and Kyle Alexander have had good mid-season starts in Europe. Loads of other guys having excellent seasons as well. Kassius Robertson, Dylan Ennis, Kyle Wiltjer, Phil Scrubb.

No big injuries out there besides Tyler Ennis (Dwight Powell still not looking 100% yet either).

Comment

There are some positive developments in Turkey too. Cedi Osman (CAVS worked on his shot in the summer and he is far more confident shooting). Furkan Korkmaz (Sixers) also have a solid bench role in a very competitive team, looks more physical and ready. I hope that our veteran NBA guy Ersan Ilyasova wont find a playoff team which prevents him to play in the qualifiers.

I expect Ömer Faruk Yurtseven (G-League team of OKC) also be part of the team. He already said he would love participating. With our 18 year old rising star Alperen Sengun and with Sertac Sanli as third option (although I hate him) team Turkeys big and wing rotation is competitive.

About Greece there were news that guard legend Spanoulis and Ionnis Bouroussis are also ready to participate one last time but considering their age and performance idk if its a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
          There are some positive developments in Turkey too. Cedi Osman (CAVS worked on his shot in the summer and he is far more confident shooting). Furkan Korkmaz (Sixers) also have a solid bench role in a very competitive team, looks more physical and ready. I hope that our veteran NBA guy Ersan Ilyasova wont find a playoff team which prevents him to play in the qualifiers.

I expect Ömer Faruk Yurtseven (G-League team of OKC) also be part of the team. He already said he would love participating. With our 18 year old rising star Alperen Sengun and with Sertac Sanli as third option (although I hate him) team Turkeys big and wing rotation is competitive.

About Greece there were news that guard legend Spanoulis and Ionnis Bouroussis are also ready to participate one last time but considering their age and performance idk if its a good idea.

Those names still make me nervous, despite how over-the-hill they are. Heh...maybe the memories of an way past their prime Boris Diaw and Tony Parker picking apart Canada at the 2016 Manila Olympic Qualifier final are still too fresh in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
            If I had to rank the Canadian players, I think I'm something like this right now (this NBA focused - as I have different views with FIBA)

1. Jamal Murray
            2. SGA
            3. Andrew Wiggins
            4. RJ Barrett
            5. Luguentz Dort
            6. Chris Boucher
            7. Brandon Clarke
            8. Kelly Olynyk
            9. Khem Birch
            10. Tristan Thompson

Some good developments outside the NBA as well. Kevin Pangos continues with a very good bounce back season with Zenit. Dyshawn Pierre is looking really good with Fener. Marial Shayok and Kyle Alexander have had good mid-season starts in Europe. Loads of other guys having excellent seasons as well. Kassius Robertson, Dylan Ennis, Kyle Wiltjer, Phil Scrubb.

No big injuries out there besides Tyler Ennis (Dwight Powell still not looking 100% yet either).
            Team Canada will absolutely, positively need at least a small core of players with solid FIBA credentials, e.g. Kevin Pangos and Phil Scrubb.

Comment

Sorry, wrong thread.
              Last edited by JGX; 02-20-2021, 08:53 AM.
              Originally posted by Fedfan
              Most ppl get childish when they lose.
              Originally posted by GuTO
              refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                Team Canada will absolutely, positively need at least a small core of players with solid FIBA credentials, e.g. Kevin Pangos and Phil Scrubb.

I agree whole heartedly. However I don't think the average Canadian basketball has any understanding of this. Most are certain our lowest level NBA players are 10x better than our best Euro based players.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Pangos, Dyshawn Pierre and P. Scrubb and/or Kyle Wiltjer among 7-8 NBA players in Victoria. Each one could be a solid contributor in certain roles.

Comment

1. Jamal Murray
                  2. SGA
                  3. Andrew Wiggins
                  4. RJ Barrett
                  5. Luguentz Dort
                  6. Chris Boucher
                  7. Brandon Clarke
                  8. Kelly Olynyk
                  9. Khem Birch
                  10. Tristan Thompson

How manny from them have shown any signs interested in playing for team Canada for 2 tournaments in same summer with no rest after nba season ?

On possitive thing : only J.Murray and T.Thompson are in risk that their nba team can go deep in nba playoofs and wont be able to play in late June.

Comment

Considering fact how Denver plays this year I cannot believe that they can beat LAC or LAL in 7 this time. Nothing is certain with them but generally I expect all available in their domestic teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                      How manny from them have shown any signs interested in playing for team Canada for 2 tournaments in same summer with no rest after nba season ?

On possitive thing : only J.Murray and T.Thompson are in risk that their nba team can go deep in nba playoofs and wont be able to play in late June.

I suppose the same question should be posed to Lithuania or any team in the Qualifiers.

But to attempt to answer your question - I'll start with this. No players has said they are NOT playing this summer. Many have said they are interested in playing (too many to track), many with qualifications (if I'm healthy etc.) and only a couple I know that have had said they are playing no matter what (e.g. Dillon Brooks). But these are all words and don't really matter too much. Actions are what we care about. Canada's strength is in the sheer number of high level talent in the NBA (and Europe) right now. We know all 20 NBA players will not show up (Free agents, injuries etc), we don't need them, we don't even need half. But we do need a few (4? 5? 6?) of the better players (NBA starters or high level role players) and we can have a pretty good team.

I have no illusions of grandeur - I'm under no belief we should be a favorite for an Olympic medal. I'm just hoping to Qualify and send a competent team to the Olympics that has some of our best players. And with allot of luck maybe even make the semi finals.

Comment

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
                        Considering fact how Denver plays this year I cannot believe that they can beat LAC or LAL in 7 this time. Nothing is certain with them but generally I expect all available in their domestic teams.
                        Jamal Murray always seems to have lingering health issues - it is just his nature. He is the one high level player that I have the least confidence in.
                        I'd be surprised if he played the Qualifier - but if we Qualify, I'd expect he joins and I'd welcome it.

Comment

Jamal Murray always seems to have lingering health issues - it is just his nature. He is the one high level player that I have the least confidence in.
                          I'd be surprised if he played the Qualifier - but if we Qualify, I'd expect he joins and I'd welcome it.
                          My guess most of your top 10 will have same mindset.They are in too play in main Olympics in late July,but out from playing in late June with no rest from nba season.

Nba seasons should end in last week of May, first round will end in June when Nt will start their preparations.

Who looses in first round of nba playoofs can join NT camps,who looses in second round basically will have sit on airplane and go dirrectly from it to play qualification games (that not very realistic).
                          Last edited by Shawshank; 02-17-2021, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                            My guess most of your top 10 will have same mindset.They are in too play in main Olympics in late July,but out from playing in late June with no rest from nba season.

Nba seasons should end in last week of May, first round will end in June when Nt will start their preparations.

Who looses in first round of nba playoofs can join NT camps,who looses in second round basically will have sit on airplane and go dirrectly from it to play qualification games (that not very realistic).

Agreed... and why I am most interested in who is going to miss the playoffs this season. There are some good players in that group:

Probably miss the playoffs:
                            Khem Birch (FA)
                            Shai Gilgeous Alexander
                            Lu Dort
                            Cory Joseph
                            Nickeil Alexander Walker

Maybe miss miss playoffs or likely out by the end of the first round:
                            Dwight Powell
                            RJ Barrett
                            Kelly Olynyk (FA)
                            Chris Boucher
                            Dillon Brooks
                            Brandon Clarke
                            Andrew Wiggins
                            Mychal Mulder

That is allot to work with. If just half those guys play (along with our better Euro based players - Pangos, Pierre, Wiltjer etc.), it will be a very competitive Qualifier team. Perhaps favored?

Comment

Agreed... and why I am most interested in who is going to miss the playoffs this season. There are some good players in that group:

Probably miss the playoffs:
                              Khem Birch (FA)
                              Shai Gilgeous Alexander
                              Lu Dort
                              Cory Joseph
                              Nickeil Alexander Walker

Maybe miss miss playoffs or likely out by the end of the first round:
                              Dwight Powell
                              RJ Barrett
                              Kelly Olynyk (FA)
                              Chris Boucher
                              Dillon Brooks
                              Brandon Clarke
                              Andrew Wiggins
                              Mychal Mulder

That is allot to work with. If just half those guys play (along with our better Euro based players - Pangos, Pierre, Wiltjer etc.), it will be a very competitive Qualifier team. Perhaps favored?
                              Depends when you will start preparations. I think that's very important to your quite newly build team. If you'll get those players early, late May/early June, then you can gel the group at least a bit - practices, few friendlies. If it will be some gathering right before the tournament, then it will be way more tougher, talent alone might not be enough to succeed. Let alone Greeks or Turkey, the same Czech Republic is very well gelled unit, their star Satoransky doesn't need lot of time to adjust to the system he knows perfectly

Comment

Jamal Murray.... I'd be surprised if he played the Qualifier - but if we Qualify, I'd expect he joins and I'd welcome it.
                                What worries me is that I think most of the Canadian NBA players have that same attitude. Sure, they all want to play in the Olympics. But they don't want to engage in the heavy lifting needed to get there.

Last edited by Hepcat; 02-20-2021, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information