View Poll Results: Who will qualify for Tokyo?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canada

    18 60.00%
  • China

    0 0%
  • Czech Republic

    1 3.33%
  • Greece

    6 20.00%
  • Turkey

    5 16.67%
  • Uruguay

    0 0%
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 374

Thread: Olympic Qualifying Tournament - CANADA

  1. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    820
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Yi Jianlian, Guo Aillun and Wang Zhelin have withdrawn from the China National Basketball Team training camp due to injuries. China will play against Japan & Chinese Taipei in the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup next week and against Canada & Greece in the Olympic Qualifying Tournaments.

    https://twitter.com/titan_plus/statu...642842625?s=20


    Yi and Wang were potential starters right?

  2. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    820
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Camp starts tomorrow for Canada and players have been showing up to Tampa today (or not).

    A couple key drop outs already in Dillon Brooks, Tristan Thompson and Oshae Brissett.

    Most every other NBA player on the 21 man list has been spotted except RJ Barrett, Kelly Olynyk, Khem Birch and Brandon Clarke. Some very key guys in that 4 - so hopefully by tomorrow they are confirmed at camp.
    Last edited by mojo13; 06-15-2021 at 10:37 PM.

  3. #103
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Yi Jianlian, Guo Aillun and Wang Zhelin have withdrawn from the China National Basketball Team training camp due to injuries. China will play against Japan & Chinese Taipei in the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup next week and against Canada & Greece in the Olympic Qualifying Tournaments.

    https://twitter.com/titan_plus/statu...642842625?s=20


    Yi and Wang were potential starters right?
    Guo is a surefire starter/ best scoring gaurd, Yi and Wang comprise of the main big men roation together with Zhou Qi
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  4. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    820
    Country: Canada

    Default

    So the Canadian camp started today and it is the typical mess of no shows and no clear communication from anyone. Doesn’t help it is in Tampa and no Canadian media are on the ground. Here is what we think we know as of today.

    Thompson, Brooks and Brissett seem certainly out.

    We think Brandon Clarke too but less certain.

    Khem Birch and Kelly Olynyk we think might be there physically but they definitely were not on the floor practicing today. Rumors that they could both be out as well, but they are both free agents and may be dealing with insurance issues that need to be worked out before they can play (again that may not happen).

    of the better players there a 12 man roster could look something like this.


    CoJo, NAW, Scrubb (Keane)
    Dort, Mulder
    Barrett / Ejim
    Wiggins / Nicholson
    Powell / Lyles / Owen Klassen (Kyle Alexander)

    Still enough talent to beat everyone if Nurse can pull a team together - but that is far from a given. A very inexperienced team never really having played together, very little FIBA experience. Pretty darn weak defensively up front. Laughably short prep time with no friendlies. Just one of Birch or Olynyk would be a huge boon.

    I honestly don’t know if we’d are even favored at this point. Need to wait to see who shows up for Turkey.


    But a clear Canadian picture has yet to be painted.

  5. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    3,300
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    So the Canadian camp started today and it is the typical mess of no shows and no clear communication from anyone. Doesn’t help it is in Tampa and no Canadian media are on the ground. Here is what we think we know as of today.

    Thompson, Brooks and Brissett seem certainly out.

    We think Brandon Clarke too but less certain.

    Khem Birch and Kelly Olynyk we think might be there physically but they definitely were not on the floor practicing today. Rumors that they could both be out as well, but they are both free agents and may be dealing with insurance issues that need to be worked out before they can play (again that may not happen).

    of the better players there a 12 man roster could look something like this.


    CoJo, NAW, Scrubb (Keane)
    Dort, Mulder
    Barrett / Ejim
    Wiggins / Nicholson
    Powell / Lyles / Owen Klassen (Kyle Alexander)

    Still enough talent to beat everyone if Nurse can pull a team together - but that is far from a given. A very inexperienced team never really having played together, very little FIBA experience. Pretty darn weak defensively up front. Laughably short prep time with no friendlies. Just one of Birch or Olynyk would be a huge boon.

    I honestly don’t know if we’d are even favored at this point. Need to wait to see who shows up for Turkey.


    But a clear Canadian picture has yet to be painted.
    Everyone who is available right now showed up. Shane Larkin hasnt started with training because of a back injury but its not that severe. Ersan Ilyasova and Furkan Korkmaz are still in the States because of the Playoffs and it doesnt look good for their teams. Furkan will be there 100% if his team fails but Ilyasova might say "no" even if I think he will come if he is available.

  6. #106
    Senior Member okanial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    310

    Default

    I am sad to read both of our games are at 6 am. I was hoping it would be like East cost games so I could stay up but it will hurt to miss the games

  7. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    820
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Three days into camp and no clearer picture for Canada.

    Only Dwight Powell and RJ Barrett have been seen at media pressers. Total mystery after that. Instagram stories of Andrew Wiggins at a Lake in Minnesota, Cory Joseph in a desert with his family. We think perhaps some guys have been given permission to show up at camp later, but this is a really short prep time, made even worse. Canada's full team (whoever they are) is literally going to practice together for a few days, have no friendlies and get right into it.....fun...

  8. #108
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,830
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by okanial View Post
    I am sad to read both of our games are at 6 am. I was hoping it would be like East cost games so I could stay up but it will hurt to miss the games
    If games from Vancouver are at 6:00 AM your time, games from Montréal or Toronto would be at 3:00 AM. With the games in Vancouver, all you have to do is go to bed early and get up early!

    Last edited by Hepcat; 06-19-2021 at 06:09 AM.

  9. #109
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,830
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Only Dwight Powell and RJ Barrett have been seen at media pressers. Total mystery after that. Instagram stories of Andrew Wiggins at a Lake in Minnesota, Cory Joseph in a desert with his family. We think perhaps some guys have been given permission to show up at camp later, but this is a really short prep time, made even worse. Canada's full team (whoever they are) is literally going to practice together for a few days, have no friendlies and get right into it.....fun...
    Oh groan.


  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    820
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Oh groan.

    Little more info today after a presser that featured Lu Dort.
    RJ, Powell and Dort have been seen in pressers. Plus a few U19s. Nurse mentioned NAW and Mulder at today's presser.

    Nurse also mentioned Lyles, Nicholson, Klassen, Doornekamp and Ejim yesterday. Lyles has been spotted there on social media.

    Who we think is coming late - Wiggins and CoJo.

    Who we think is out - Brooks, Brissett, TT, KO, Birch.


    CoJo
    Barrett
    Wiggins
    Lyles
    Powell

    With NAW, Dort, Mulder, Nicholson, Ejim the main pieces off the bench seems fairly formidable.

  11. #111
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    820
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Anyone know what’s up with Tomás Satoransky or Jan Vesely?

    I’m not sure but it looks like neither has played yet?

    Are they with the team? Are they expected to play?

  12. #112
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    3,300
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Anyone know what’s up with Tomás Satoransky or Jan Vesely?

    I’m not sure but it looks like neither has played yet?

    Are they with the team? Are they expected to play?
    Sato will come later but Vesely has an injury. Its unclear if he will play or not. They were not in Hamburg thats right.

  13. #113

    Default

    It's getting real tight in this group. Canada won't be as almighty as it easily could. It's really open tournament now of 4 NTs going after Olympic ticket. It's amazing how Canada always finds way to screw things up for themselves Not that the team is crappy, no, but far from where they could be with few more pieces. And Canada won't have as much coherence as Czech Rep, Turkey, Greece. It's a race, will be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  14. #114
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,560
    Country: United States

    Default

    I don't really get Canada's problem with commitments, I mean I understand people not committing (especially this year), but I don't get why Canada doesn't get more notice about who is and isn't on the team. It always seems a surprise about who's in training camp.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  15. #115
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,830
    Country: Canada

    Default

    The Canada Basketball website is almost useless. The list of nineteen players participating in the national team camp was posted only today:

    Team Canada Candidates


  16. #116
    Senior Member fasoulaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,801
    Country: Germany

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    The Canada Basketball website is almost useless. The list of nineteen players participating in the national team camp was posted only today:

    Team Canada Candidates

    Didn't Canada play any exhibition game so far?

  17. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    820
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Well Canada finally announced its camp roster. I suspect they were waiting for Cory Joseph and Andrew Wiggins to show up this morning.

    https://www.basketball.ca/news/19-at...ing-tournament


    Nickeil Alexander-Walker
    Guard
    6’6”
    Toronto, ON
    New Orleans Pelicans

    R.J. Barrett
    Guard
    6'6”
    Mississauga, ON
    New York Knicks

    Charles Bediako
    Centre
    6’10”
    Brampton, ON
    Alabama Crimson Tide (NCAA)

    Trae Bell-Haynes
    Guard
    6'2”
    Toronto, ON
    Crailsheim Merlins (Germany)

    Anthony Bennett
    Forward
    6’8”
    Toronto, ON
    Cangrejeros de Santurce (Puerto Rico)

    Aaron Doornekamp
    Forward
    6’7”
    Napanee, ON
    Tenerife (Spain)

    Luguentz Dort
    Guard
    6’4”
    Montreal, QC
    Oklahoma City Thunder

    Zach Edey
    Centre
    7’4”
    Toronto, ON
    Purdue Boilermakers (NCAA)

    Melvin Ejim
    Forward
    6'6"
    Toronto, ON
    Buducnost VOLI (Montenegro)

    Cory Joseph
    Guard
    6'3"
    Toronto, ON
    Detroit Pistons

    Owen Klassen
    Centre
    6'10"
    Kingston, ON
    Boulazac Basket Dordogne (France)

    Trey Lyles
    Forward
    6’10”
    Saskatoon, SK
    San Antonio Spurs

    Bennedict Mathurin
    Guard
    6’7”
    Montreal, QC
    Arizona Wildcats (NCAA)

    Isiaha Mike
    Guard
    6’8”
    Toronto, ON
    Niners Chemnitz (Germany)

    Mychal Mulder
    Guard
    6’3”
    Windsor, ON
    Golden State Warriors

    Andrew Nembhard
    Guard
    6’5”
    Aurora, ON
    Gonzaga Bulldogs (NCAA)

    Andrew Nicholson
    Forward
    6’9”
    Mississauga, ON
    Fujian Sturgeons (China)

    Dwight Powell
    Forward
    6'11"
    Toronto, ON
    Dallas Mavericks

    Andrew Wiggins
    Forward
    6’7”
    Vaughan, ON
    Golden State Warriors



    Seems as I was speculating the last day. And a likely 12 man roster of something like:


    Gaurds: Joseph/NAW/Trae Bell Haynes/ Mulder

    Wings: Barrett, Wiggins, Dort, Ejim

    Bigs: Lyles, Powell, Nicholson, Bennett (Klassen)




    Still the best talent in the tournament (by far) and the most talented group Canada has ever assembled.

    Strength is in the Wings for sure with Barrett, Wiggins, Dort and then guards with CoJo, NAW, Mulder.
    In this short prep time defense and transition will likely be the calling cards. I am very curious to see what kind of havoc Dort and CoJo can create on opposing guards. NAW might be the most dynamic of the guards and should have a meaningful role, but is young and with CoJo one of the most experienced FIBA players on the team, CoJo's going to need to be the lead guard.

    The bigs are seemingly the weakness here, but that might be because of what could have been if the just a couple more showed up (Olynyk/Birch). But still Lyles/Powell/Nicholson are probably the best trio of bigs in the tournament. Each has severe limitations and not much rim protection or great defense between the three, but Powell is and elite rim running big and one of the best in the world at finishing PnRs. Nicholson has been lighting it up in China for years - (but it is China!) shooting well into the 40% range from three on very heavy volume. Offense is not the worry with Nicholson, but he is a black hole and not a great defender.
    Lyles is a mystery man - he has had good stretches in the NBA (this season was not one of them) and has shown to be a decent shooting and rebounding big when given minutes. No idea what kind of shape he is in having not played since the ASB.

    We might get a little beaten up in the paint - but the big guards and wings should help. Hopefully that doesn't kill our transition game though as Barrett, Dort or Wiggins needs to stay home to help secure rebounds.

    The other issue is who leads the team? CoJo is the senior guy, but not the most talented and not who I want taking crunch time shots. Wiggins is clearly the beta type but an excellent one at that. Barrett is the lead dog type but he is only 21.

    Overall an interesting mix of young dynamic talent (Barrett, NAW, Dort, Wiggins) and some vets to steady the boat (CoJo, Powell, Ejim, Nicholson)

    The talent is there, but with this terribly short prep time, it could easily be not enough.

  18. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    3,300
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Furkan Korkmaz (76ers)
    Ersan Ilyasova (Jazz)

    confirmed participation.

    This is the strongest team Turkey since 2010!

  19. #119
    Senior Member Victorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,567
    Country: Netherlands

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Furkan Korkmaz (76ers)
    Ersan Ilyasova (Jazz)

    confirmed participation.

    This is the strongest team Turkey since 2010!
    So Turkey has a complete rooster. Congratulations. You have a shot. But I still think Canada is the strongest team.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

  20. #120
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    3,300
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    So Turkey has a complete rooster. Congratulations. You have a shot. But I still think Canada is the strongest team.
    Well, there is no need to rush things. We have still a very young team. Beating Czech Republic and Greece are the first two steps then we will see about Canada.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •