View Poll Results: Who will qualify for Tokyo?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canada

18 60.00%
  • China

0 0%
  • Czech Republic

1 3.33%
  • Greece

6 20.00%
  • Turkey

5 16.67%
  • Uruguay

0 0%
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Qualifying Tournament - CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Rumours are comming from Turkey that their NT lost their american because of injury.

If rumours ends up correct Turkey federation still will have 5 days to find another pg american,make pasport overnight ,bring new bag of money and they will be fine
    Lol...

A healthy Larkin will be a big loss for Turkey. Tuncer should have fun facing down a Cory Joseph that doesn't need to worry too much about scoring and imagine if Lu "The Beast" Dort gets a chance at him, how ever I think he'll be assigned to Cedi.

Although I am against it there is another option. Scottie Wilbekin could be available but not a good idea at all. Otherwise we do it with Ugurlu, Hazer and Tuncer. Might be weak but other parts are still strong.

At this point I wouldn't start Buğrahan. If we have to have a real point guard I would go with someone with a lower turnover rate I don't know the other two enough to make a comment. Something like Sehmus-Melih-Cedi-Ersan-Alperen seems to be our best starting 5 at the moment. Sehmus and Cedi can control the ball enough and Alperen has enough instincts to make plays in the paint. Melih+Ersan is good enough spacing, Melih can always be replaced by Furkan but I'd rather Furkan and Buğrahan to come from bench and go wild against second units. Furkan would of course close the games. At this point our strong spot is our bigs. 3 out of 4 can shot well, they are all at least above average defenders and two of them can play with the ball. Larkin is a huge loss but for me the ticket is still between us and Canada

All you guys talk as if Turkey is already in the final game against Canada. Canadians never cared for NT and beating Czechs wont be easy either. Even if we are in the final with Canada its a bunch of guys who never played together and in 40 minutes everything can happen and if we cant make it we dont deserve it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    All you guys talk as if Turkey is already in the final game against Canada. Canadians never cared for NT and beating Czechs wont be easy either. Even if we are in the final with Canada its a bunch of guys who never played together and in 40 minutes everything can happen and if we cant make it we dont deserve it anyway.
    Toruko - Of course anything can happen in a single game. But there is still some FIBA competency within the Canadian system.
    Going back to the 2016 Manila Olympic Qualifier when last out two nations met...Canada seemed to handle themselves fairly well vs the Turks.
    http://www.fiba.basketball/oqt/phili...#|tab=boxscore

I'm sure you will say that was a much lesser version than today's Turkish team, but that is easily the same to be said for the Canadian team. That Canadian team really had two bonafide NBA rotational players in Cory Joseph and Tristan Thompson and a couple borderline players in Tyler Ennis, Anthony Bennett (Khem Birch was still BSL)
    Here we are able to come with 8 legit NBA players - a couple 20 ppg scorers (Wiggins/Barrett), with a a few very dynamic young players on the rise (Dort, NAW), a few veteran rotational players (Cory Joseph, Dwight Powell, Trey Lyles) and some pretty good non NBA players in Ejim and Nicholson (4 years in the NBA). Anthony Bennett is in camp and may not make this team - where he started in 2016. He is far better player today (trust me on that).

Not to mention a renown NBA championship level coach who is known for pulling teams together quickly and getting the best out of players.

Canada and Turkey could both easily trip up and fail to even make the finals but you must agree they are the favorites?

Without Larkin, the Czechs may actually beat Turkey. They may end up playing against Canada in the final. Larking was the key player for Turkey. Also Uruguay can be a problem. These small tournaments are tricky.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Canada and Turkey could both easily trip up and fail to even make the finals but you must agree they are the favorites?
    Yes, without a doubt. Traditionally, team Turkey is always underestimated in such tournaments because of the past performances. Very fragile mentality without a doubt. Example given they technically defeated the US team 2019 couldnt grab the win and made 0/4 free throws and lost the game against the Czechs.

This team was way weaker than this current team. Wilbekin was back then on the roster but also injured. Now the situation is very different. Actually, even I cant imagine the outcome. We played with a burned out Semih Erden who has no will to play anymore and a worse Sertac Sanli.

Now not only Furk And Cedi are more developed we got also 2-3 gems more. This is surely the deepest roster Turkey had in the last 10 years.

For me this is not a target tournament but Eurobasket 22 will be. The goal is not to win it but to be among the top 4. If they make it, great and if they fail against Canada no problem, Canada deserves it anyway. I just want to see a competitive team with well functioning basketball and a boosting Alperen Sengün.

Not to mention a renown NBA championship level coach who is known for pulling teams together quickly and getting the best out of players.
    My concerns on the Canadian team refers not to the quality of the players but the quality of the team. Having a bunch of good players doesnt make you a good team especially when you have guys like Wiggins talented as hell but hating playing basketball.

My concerns on the Canadian team refers not to the quality of the players but the quality of the team. Having a bunch of good players doesnt make you a good team especially when you have guys like Wiggins talented as hell but hating playing basketball.
    My concerns too and why I'm trying to temper expectations.

And that might be a dated view of Wiggins. He was actually a very good, fairly efficient (48%FG, 38%3PT) two-way player this year.

Jan Vesely drove with his car from Istanbul to Czech Republic and said this about the situation:

Jan Vesely on the upcoming OQT in Canada: "The favorites of the tournament will be Turkey and Canada, but we can surprise. At the World Cup we were able to take the favorite Turks down. We have a big chance."
    (Source: @Basketmagcz
    ) #FIBAOQT
    Oh, this guy will be a pain in the butt. I still prefer the best teams possible. More important than winning is to watch good basketball.

Vesely and Balvin can match the Turkish big rotation better than any big rotation in the tournament and Satoransky is the play maker who can exploit the Turkish weakness with his 6'7.

Watched some Uruguay games. These guys are not a big problem. We must enter the tournament with a good feeling with a convincing victory.

On the bright side, Turkey will actually have their national team. If they win, this will be legit win of Turkish basketball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Did Illyasova and Korkmaz fly to Turkey for a couple of days? It would make sense to stay in North America, have some resting days, and then join the team in Canada.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Did Illyasova and Korkmaz fly to Turkey for a couple of days? It would make sense to stay in North America, have some resting days, and then join the team in Canada.
    They join the team in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    On the bright side, Turkey will actually have their national team. If they win, this will be legit win of Turkish basketball.
    yeah but no one actually cares about that. besides we still have the Uzbek bro with us.

looking at other teams, our current talent level and their tournament history, remembering how Czechs toyed with us in the world cup, and Ene at the helm, I'm surprised at the optimism. I hope there really is something to be excited there. I don't want to be the new maccabeo but I don't see it.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    yeah but no one actually cares about that. besides we still have the Uzbek bro with us.

looking at other teams, our current talent level and their tournament history, remembering how Czechs toyed with us in the world cup, and Ene at the helm, I'm surprised at the optimism. I hope there really is something to be excited there. I don't want to be the new maccabeo but I don't see it.
    In order to see you need to follow then you need to understand then hopefully, one day, you will be able to see.

In order to see you need to follow then you need to understand then hopefully, one day, you will be able to see.
    fair enough. in a few words, what makes this team any different (than all the previous failures)?
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    fair enough. in a few words, what makes this team any different (than all the previous failures)?
    Much deeper roster, much more talent, better play making out of the post, more matured Cedi and Furkan, better rim protection, player with the correct attitude.

But this isnt a guarantee not to fail. They still can fail but we are talking about the probabilities.

When you watch again the Czech game 2019 you will hopefully realize that the team came out of an OT game against the USA, they had lost a won game and Semih Erden was simply killed by Balvin in the pick and roll action. Dumb ass Sarica wasnt able to adjust.

Ok, roughly 3 days before the tournament in Canada starts I want to write a bit about the European teams:

Czech Republic: big three of the team are Tomas Satoransky, Jan Vesely and Ondrej Balvin. Rest of the team consists of the FIBA CL team Nymburg, mostly. The dangerous side of the Czechs they have really a great chemistry and play a very good team basketball. They play really great help defense and nearly all player on the floor are able to make open shots

The offensive philosophy is to find the easiest shot. Jaromir Bohacik is the sharpshooter of the team but also forwards like Patrick Auda and Hruban are able to make shots at high percentage. They are both very athletic forwards with high energy who also help the team in rebounding.

The most important point will be to defend them in 1 vs 1. if you are capable of doing it there are not many guys who can take you down in iso plays. The moment you going to help they will find the open man for the free shot. Especially with Vesely they will have someone with superb play making abilities.

Their bench is fairly weak though and the capacity of most of the players to score individually is very low too.

Ok, roughly 3 days before the tournament in Canada starts I want to write a bit about the European teams:

Czech Republic: big three of the team are Tomas Satoransky, Jan Vesely and Ondrej Balvin. Rest of the team consists of the FIBA CL team Nymburg, mostly. The dangerous side of the Czechs they have really a great chemistry and play a very good team basketball. They play really great help defense and nearly all player on the floor are able to make open shots

The offensive philosophy is to find the easiest shot. Jaromir Bohacik is the sharpshooter of the team but also forwards like Patrick Auda and Hruban are able to make shots at high percentage. They are both very athletic forwards with high energy who also help the team in rebounding.

The most important point will be to defend them in 1 vs 1. if you are capable of doing it there are not many guys who can take you down in iso plays. The moment you going to help they will find the open man for the free shot. Especially with Vesely they will have someone with superb play making abilities.

Their bench is fairly weak though and the capacity of most of the players to score individually is very low too.
    Good stuff. Keep it coming!

Any key absences?
    Winner! Euroleague Prediction Game 15/16
    2nd Place! World Cup Prediction Game 2019

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast