Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 PBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    You need atleast 75 million a year to just maintain a team. How many companies willing to invest that kind of money. SMC mostly likely spends upwards of 100 million each for its team.
    at 6:30, Norman Black says from during his time with SMC and most definitely now, While most PBA teams budgets for winnng, SMC budgets for Grand Slam, they want to win every conference...

Quote Originally Posted by sajubeads View Post
    Companies spend millions ,almost similar that amount for TV ads per year, so their advertisement funds would just be realigned to PBA maintenance....Besides a PBA team brings more commercial mileage to the team than seconds of TV ads....PBA expenses are also deductible to the Companies tax as it is part of their expenses(commercial/ads)...
    Interested in this. Is it still viable? I know it's true in the 80s-2000s, but now? For a team like Blackwater, does their PBA membership translate to real revenue? or do they just make money from being a farm team?

Quote Originally Posted by el scorcho View Post
    Interested in this. Is it still viable? I know it's true in the 80s-2000s, but now? For a team like Blackwater, does their PBA membership translate to real revenue? or do they just make money from being a farm team?
    Interesting. Actually even powerhouses like SMB, Magnolia, TNT, Ginebra, if they stopped playing in the PBA, would their sales take a hit? I feel TNT and Magnolia sales wouldn't dip by a lot. They can redirect that 75M to different marketing strategies and maybe even earn more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodbi View Post
    PBA should just abolish D-League, absorb its financially-capable clubs (do the same with MPBL if it folds definitely), and create at least 2 more divisions with 10 teams each, with promotion-relegation between the 2 lower divisions (PBA top flight not included in this scheme because.. you know..). Those 2 lower division will serve as a feeder league, which will be a lot easier to stomach, unlike what we have with the current PBA today.
    And for the PBA draft, the mother team can put its draft pick to its feeder team in the lower division, then wait to develop. That's how farm teams should operate.

Quote Originally Posted by dubidub View Post
    Interesting. Actually even powerhouses like SMB, Magnolia, TNT, Ginebra, if they stopped playing in the PBA, would their sales take a hit? I feel TNT and Magnolia sales wouldn't dip by a lot. They can redirect that 75M to different marketing strategies and maybe even earn more.
    let’s say mac belo to MVP group.. MVP group will trade one of its players plus big cash for blackwater to survive.. SMB gave big money to terrafirma for that number 1 pick that turns out CS..

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    And for the PBA draft, the mother team can put its draft pick to its feeder team in the lower division, then wait to develop. That's how farm teams should operate.
    Two things on my mind:

1. PBA draft across all levels, with the top flight picking first for 2 rounds, then 2nd tier and 3rd tier, alternate rounds.

2. Allowing of 18/19-year-olds to join this draft setup. If a transcendental or once-in-a-generation athlete and picked by a top flight team, can go straight to the top flight. If a project player, can be loaned to a lower division team or to an affiliated (boosted) collegiate team.

Two things on my mind:

1. PBA draft across all levels, with the top flight picking first for 2 rounds, then 2nd tier and 3rd tier, alternate rounds.

2. Allowing of 18/19-year-olds to join this draft setup. If a transcendental or once-in-a-generation athlete and picked by a top flight team, can go straight to the top flight. If a project player, can be loaned to a lower division team or to an affiliated (boosted) collegiate team.
    kinda jealous that b-league allows japanese players as early as 18 y/o to join the league.. even CBA allows it.. NBL has some players with kai’s age is playing right now noticeably josh giddey (6’8 PG)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    kinda jealous that b-league allows japanese players as early as 18 y/o to join the league.. even CBA allows it.. NBL has some players with kai’s age is playing right now noticeably josh giddey (6’8 PG)
    Well, with various factors such as typical Pinoy's delayed physiological/psychological maturity for the pro game, oversaturation of talent and limited slots due to few pro clubs at the top, seniority culture, etc., it's understandable why the PBA would not allow for them to join.

Louie Brill's son, Loren joins in

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/s...ome_featured_2

Last edited by hmbopbaduwap; 01-22-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Well, with various factors such as typical Pinoy's delayed physiological/psychological maturity for the pro game, oversaturation of talent and limited slots due to few pro clubs at the top, seniority culture, etc., it's understandable why the PBA would not allow for them to join.
    The PBA age limit means they dont need to spend on those developmental years. Same reasoning with the NBA limit. When they go pro they get surer things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    The PBA age limit means they dont need to spend on those developmental years. Same reasoning with the NBA limit. When they go pro they get surer things.
    Great point, that's basically it for PBA. Yet most teams let some of their seasoned players ride the bench all season long. And with the emergence of Pinoy ballers in their late-teens/early-twenties considered elite and are worthy of an NT or other high-level international pro-leagues call-up, I think it's high time for PBA to tweak its long-standing policy about age limit and allow the worthy young guys play. I guess it wouldn't hurt most of the teams' chances, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by el scorcho View Post
    Well Welcoat is now the #1 paint over taking Boysen since their entry to the PBA....Phoenix sales has increased also...Definitely product recall is enhanced and the thinking that if you can afford a PBA team , maybe your company is not pipitsugin...

Well Welcoat is now the #1 paint over taking Boysen since their entry to the PBA....Phoenix sales has increased also...Definitely product recall is enhanced and the thinking that if you can afford a PBA team , maybe your company is not pipitsugin...
    That's why Chooks is salivating to their entry to the PBA.. But Long hair and Magnolia happened..

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    That's why Chooks is salivating to their entry to the PBA.. But Long hair and Magnolia happened..
    damn, what a God awful sentence

The paint industry is a buyer's market though, everything is dictated by demand and their main markets are real estate development and construction companies. Now since the industry is driven by institutional accounts, rather than end consumer sales mass marketing activities - like the PBA - is not required as the more effective route to take care of customers/accounts is thru customer retention programs via sales reps developing their industry contacts and making the sales push themselves.

I've always seen the PBA as an exclusive club for Pinoy businessmen and nothing else, do you guys really think the PBA teams make significant money out of their PBA investment? At best they can use it as a tax shield but in terms of it being part of their marketing mix I highly doubt that.

My friend at SMC Foods is the marketing manager for Magnolia, guess what? The Magnolia team budget doesn't sit in the brand's P&L but is a separate item included in the corporate SMC P&L managed by a different department led by Alfrancis Chua. If it was really "marketing" then the PBA team budget should be managed by the Magnolia marketing manager because its them who are responsible for managing the brand.

Companies spend millions ,almost similar that amount for TV ads per year, so their advertisement funds would just be realigned to PBA maintenance....Besides a PBA team brings more commercial mileage to the team than seconds of TV ads....PBA expenses are also deductible to the Companies tax as it is part of their expenses(commercial/ads)...
    unless your target market/audience are male basketball junkies then even using part of your advertising budget for a PBA team is a surefire recipe for disaster.

I'm a marketing consultant and I've headed marketing departments of various multinationals in the APAC region, social media and TV are the only touchpoints that are commercially viable to use to drive business results and nothing else. Mass marketing is all about reaching the most of your target market, even from a media placement perspective the PBA is not a good vehicle to use because ABC 5's reach is nowhere near that of GMA and previously ABS CBN.

Moreover a lot of these companies behind PBA teams don't need mass marketing (NLEX, Meralco) and some are heritage brands with strong brand saliency that there's no point in adding another line expense to their P&L. FYI, Shell pulled out of the PBA when their Global office became more hands on in running companies around the world - someone from top management probably recognized what a waste of money running a PBA team was without any tangible proof on ROI.

I will agree with you on the tax shield thing though, in fact that has been my belief all these years that companies use the PBA to save money on tax payments. But as a marketing tool and as a useful consumer touchpoint? Coming from a marketing practitioner no, it doesn't make sense at all.

PBA teams per se are never profitable. But 48 minutes of airtime for your brand at least every week plus free broadcast, web, and print media coverage probably makes up for the expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoy Martin View Post
    unless your target market/audience are male basketball junkies then even using part of your advertising budget for a PBA team is a surefire recipe for disaster.

I'm a marketing consultant and I've headed marketing departments of various multinationals in the APAC region, social media and TV are the only touchpoints that are commercially viable to use to drive business results and nothing else. Mass marketing is all about reaching the most of your target market, even from a media placement perspective the PBA is not a good vehicle to use because ABC 5's reach is nowhere near that of GMA and previously ABS CBN.

Moreover a lot of these companies behind PBA teams don't need mass marketing (NLEX, Meralco) and some are heritage brands with strong brand saliency that there's no point in adding another line expense to their P&L. FYI, Shell pulled out of the PBA when their Global office became more hands on in running companies around the world - someone from top management probably recognized what a waste of money running a PBA team was without any tangible proof on ROI.

I will agree with you on the tax shield thing though, in fact that has been my belief all these years that companies use the PBA to save money on tax payments. But as a marketing tool and as a useful consumer touchpoint? Coming from a marketing practitioner no, it doesn't make sense at all.
    With the budding partnership between ABS-CBN and TV5, I don't know what is the latter's plan with the PBA. I would not be surprised if we will see the Primetime block of ABS in TV5 (like Ang Probinsyano) because let's be honest, their shows, despite of limited reach as of this moment, is really popular despite of those s*!ts storylines. This is the dream MVP has been waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by k3ttch View Post
    PBA teams per se are never profitable. But 48 minutes of airtime for your brand at least every week plus free broadcast, web, and print media coverage probably makes up for the expenses.
    you also have to take into account "reach" - how many people will have the opportunity to see your placements - ABC 5 has significantly lower reach than GMA and then ABS-CBN, so the cycle of transitioning paid media (advertising) to earned media (shared impressions, being mentioned in the news, etc.) will also be affected

plus what would those earned media (free digital and print coverage) really achieve?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoy Martin View Post
    you also have to take into account "reach" - how many people will have the opportunity to see your placements - ABC 5 has significantly lower reach than GMA and then ABS-CBN, so the cycle of transitioning paid media (advertising) to earned media (shared impressions, being mentioned in the news, etc.) will also be affected

plus what would those earned media (free digital and print coverage) really achieve?
    Name recall, if nothing else. Pinoys vote on the basis of that alone. If they're willing to entrust the fate of the country on the basis of a familiar last name, what more so the choice of what brand luncheon meat to buy at the grocery?

Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast