Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Euroleague Regular Season: Week 8

Vivo summarized it quite well indeed. I would only disagree on the downplaying of importance of Udoh. The guy dominated the game like no one I've ever seen, and his absence is the main reason Fener has been exposed, imho.

Obradovic's behavior is pretty weird, but it's the players who should decide, not us. I felt offended when he had slapped the captain of our NT a few years ago, but Melih was fine with it, so i don't care any more. I'm curious as to Datome's reaction.

Failures and the ugly scenes aside, I think Fener president knows he is the only piece they must stick to, if they want to remain relevant. Otherwise, they will go back to the days of Pianigiani, Spahija, etc.

On the other discussion, Phil Jackson might be a good comparison to Obradovic. Anyone can be "overrated", depending on the expectations. if you say Obradovic is the most accomplished Euro coach, no one can object to that, but you say today he is still the best coach in the game, that looks more and more difficult to prove each passing day.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemanja View Post
    What mental coach ,are you serious ? Just mental coaches need basketball to became circus .Isnt true that he always leaded one of two best teams,because he was coach in Partizan in war circumstances,players and he were unapaid and this was youngest champion of Euroleague ever.Real Madrid 1995 wasnt top team,except old Sabonis and Arlauckas other werent anything special ,results of Real Madrid with other coaches confirm my -point . Panathinaikos 1999-00 alsa wasnt top team,except Bodiroga and Rebraca others are correct and anything more ,Kalaitzis,Gentile,Boudoris.2002 Panathinaikos against stronger Virtus,2009 Panathinaikos and Cska are on similar level ,again he won ,2011 with old team ,with left of Spanoulis,Pekovic, and Jasikevicius ,won Euroleague,with Diamantidis,Batiste,Fotsis ,Calathes and Nicholas,beside Barcelona,with Navarro,Michael,Lorbek,Rubio ,that is a little bit stronger team .9 won Euroleague`s derogate with stories like budget and relationship with players and mental coaches and what else ,doesnt deserves serious consideration.We could discuss about present lacks of Obradovic .
    A lot of wishful thinking in this post. Yes, Partizan title was won against all odds due to the situation but he also had Nikolic running the whole thing in the background. Then he went to Juventud where a team that had a strong core and played a final 2 years ago, with Villacampa, Jofresa and Mike Smith and Thompson was a force to be reckoned with. He beat Paspalj, Sigalas, Tarpley and Fasoulas. That whole EL was one of the weakest on talent due to a huge flow of talent to NBA, and a changing of guards among players. Real with Old Sabonis (31 years old) and Old Arlauckas (30 years old), players in their best years. Yes, Sabonis was less athletic due to injuries already but he was a beast, by far the best player playing in Europe at that point, bar none. Again that Oly team was the main opponent but weaker, now Paspalj was gone but Tarlac was playing more. Don't get me wrong, you still have to win that but far from some amazing accomplishments. He also failed to win a title in Spain in 3 years with Real Madrid and lost the chance to defend that trophy. Sabonis after that EL title went to NBA and won the rookie of the year honors. So, please try to be objective.

He went to Benetton then where he once again had a strong team with Rebraca (at that point the best center in Europe), Ricardo Pittis, Williams who was a monster at SG, Bonora at PG and Segunda at PF. In 2 years there he managed to win zero titles in Italy and lose to an inferior AEK team with in F4. Then comes a move to PAO. The first title in EL with PAO came with Rebraca in his prime (28) before his injuries and departure for NBA, Bodiroga as the best player in Europe at that time (27), Alvertis in his prime (26), Gentile and Katash at PG and experienced Johnny Rogers. That is not a weak team. At that time, I am trying to think of a team with better roster in that season and I can't do it. Main rivals in that season were Maccabi with Sharp and Nate Huffman, Efes with Kutlay, Besok, Mulaomerovic, Drobnjak and Turkoglou (probably the closest rival in terms of talent, still noone close to Bodiroga-Rebraca duo) and Barcelona with Gurovic, Rentzias, De La Fuente, Alston etc. I don't see how can you say that this team was not loaded compared to competition.

2002 is a geniune solid coaching job. No Rebraca who went to NBA and the backbone of Bodiroga, Alvertis, Kutluay, Mulaomerovic and Middleton. Zeljko raided Efes and AEK for two of them. He had to beat also Maccabi with Huffman, Sharpe, Anthony Parker, Tal Burstein etc. Even Benetton was loaded that season with Garbajosa, Edney, Marconato, Nachbar, Charlie Bell. At that point, the league was loaded and he did an excellent coaching job. To me, this is probably his best coaching job, especially beating Messina in final who had a monster team in Ginobilli, Jaric, Rigodeau, Smodis, Andersen, Rashard Griffiths and Granger. After that, it took 5 years for him to get back to a title. In those 5 years he reached F4 just once. It was a rather dry period for him trophy-wise during the period of the strongest talent in EL. This is important to note. 2007 when he won his third EL with PAO was a year they beat Holden, Smodis, Papaloukas and Langdon from CSKA. PAO was a much deeper team with Diamantidis, Batiste, Siskauskas, Tomasevic, Vujanic, Scepanovic, Becirovic, Alvertis, Chatzivertas, Tony Delk etc. It was a very close game. Next season he didn't make it out of second group stage against Siena and Partizan. He had another strong roster, loosing Siska and adding Saras and Spanoulis.

In 2009 he was a dominant team with Spanoulis, Diamantidis, Pekovic, Batiste, Saras, Fotsis, Kecman, Tsartsaris, Perperoglou, Drew Nicholas etc. He did have to beat CSKA in the final who had prime Lorbek, Smodis, Khryapa and Siskauskas but Holden and Langdon were both already older and past prime. Maybe a note that Olympiakos that season had a crazy budget but overall the team composition was quite poor and not up to par. Next season again he doesn't make it out of Top 16 in a group with Barca nad Partizan. The last title with PAO in 2011 for me is probably his best coaching job along with 2002. He had an aging team that was past prime, except for Diamantidis and Drew Nicholas who were in prime, and a young Calathes. Batiste, Fotsis etc. have all seen better days. Guys like Tepic, Maric, Vougioukas etc. He beat Siena and Macabii for the title. To be honest at that time Real Madrid had the strongest roster but lost to Maccabi in the Semis. They had Chacho, Llull, Mirotic, Prigioni, prime Tomic, prime Reyes, Velickovic etc.

We know the rest and the story with Fener. Once again, he has managed to win more than any other coach. A good break of luck to start a coaching career with 3 EL titles with 3 different teams in 4 years has given him infinite job security. If there is a coach that had ZERO PRESSURE on keeping his job throughout his career it's probably Zeljko. That gives you so much freedom and a space to work without focusing on the stupid shit.

Once again, overall he is the most accomplished EL coach ever. For me, he was never the best but certainly one of the best. He is great. Overvalued, certainly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    How would you rate Pesic's coaching since he returned to Barca?
    I think he is doing a much better job now than the previous season. I do have to admit though that Barcelona was a laughing stock before he came and he did a solid job last season. This year obviously he has everything he wanted, so we will see how that will develop.

Pesic is a strange mixture. He is a traditionalist and high on discipline and practice. That is something that usually doesn't translate well to modern players and he alienates the team after several years of this tough-love approach. So he needs to refresh the roster quite often to have results. In terms of basketball philosophy, he does seem traditional and out of date but actually he is quite a flexible guy. Before all, he is a player's coach despite his strictness. He lets his players do their job and rarely overcoaches and scrips every single thing. Every team he coached usually the main guys were happy with him and could score at will etc.

He is obviously on his last coaching years and energy levels are not what they used to be but I think that the relaxed Barca atmosphere is actually good for him. Obviously if he stays there a few season with this level of a roster and doesn't deliver at least 1 title, he will be considered a failure in his return to Barca.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    The guy at the top of his profession has had a top budget for the past 7 years and only won one title, played at home.
    No guy who's at the top of their profession needs to go back 3 decades for actual successes.

Sorry but facts are facts.
    Well he had very strong competitors with even bigger budgets (mainly Cska and Real, but yes, I concur that as a Fener coach he didn't manage to make the difference. He didn't fail but he didn't show exceptional things either.

He confirmed that he is the best to exploit talented centres, Udoh like Pekovic and Sabonis played his best basket with him and I don't think it was fortuitous.

Final series lost by Ataman's team last year (I watched some games and Efes deserved the title) should have been a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemanja View Post
    What mental coach ,are you serious ? Just mental coaches need basketball to became circus .Isnt true that he always leaded one of two best teams,because he was coach in Partizan in war circumstances,players and he were unapaid and this was youngest champion of Euroleague ever.Real Madrid 1995 wasnt top team,except old Sabonis and Arlauckas other werent anything special ,results of Real Madrid with other coaches confirm my -point . Panathinaikos 1999-00 alsa wasnt top team,except Bodiroga and Rebraca others are correct and anything more ,Kalaitzis,Gentile,Boudoris.2002 Panathinaikos against stronger Virtus,2009 Panathinaikos and Cska are on similar level ,again he won ,2011 with old team ,with left of Spanoulis,Pekovic, and Jasikevicius ,won Euroleague,with Diamantidis,Batiste,Fotsis ,Calathes and Nicholas,beside Barcelona,with Navarro,Michael,Lorbek,Rubio ,that is a little bit stronger team .9 won Euroleague`s derogate with stories like budget and relationship with players and mental coaches and what else ,doesnt deserves serious consideration.We could discuss about present lacks of Obradovic .
    any ceo of any corproate in any field, watching video of his hr director, would fire him in 5 min. do you think players were thinking: we must give our best, u are right coach. or maybe: the coach is totally loosing control?
    a team leader, a coach, a manager, can surely be hard with his guys when needed, but never in this term.
    again, obra is a good coach. nothing special compared to other good coaches. about his success with minor teams, well just with partizan he has done something special(altought that team was a great team, imo), but u know, the greatest incredibile victory in sport it was the premier league success by leicester. well ,dont know if u follow football, but is very hard to find a much mediocre coach than ranieri. the fact that fener didint fire obradovic yet, is the most incredibile thing of this story. i'd not be surprised if players will fire him

Quote Originally Posted by maccabeo View Post
    successes doesnt say a coach is great. surely says of a great team as if u are a tennis player, if u win u are great and the more u win the more are great. titles in that case says everything. trapattoni won 7 italian championships but it was one of most mediocre coach ever in italy. when he coached cagliari he was fired in dicember. said that ,here nobody wrote obra is mediocre. he is a great defensive coach, nothing special offensively ,imo. he always coached one of two best teal of the league. as i m sure he wouldnt win title with alba, i'm sure trinchieri would win some titles coaching top club, but mainly , if u ask to any mental coach, his behaviour in bench is something far to get the best from his playes. that video doesnt suprise me. is totally absurd a coach talk like that with his guys
    "successes don't say a coach is great" - I thought that the goal is to be successful. I think this is why we often disagree. Because if I believe in something, and then I see that the opposite of my belief bring success I'll change my belief. For you on the other hand success is not that important, so I guess a coach can win 20 titles in a row, but you'll still see him as mediocre since you don't like his style and success is not a factor for anything.

BTW success doens't necessarily mean titles. If Alba will finish 8 it will be huge success, if CSKA will finish 8 it will be a horrible failure. In my opinion the most successful coach in the last 2 seasons in EL is Saras, seemply because he was able to overachieve the most with his budget.

I agree with the whole CoachZ's statement, but I disagree about the fact that Real Madrid was the strongest team in 2011 FF.

Yeah, nowadays you look to that roster and you can find big names like Sergio Rodríguez, Sergio Llull, Nociva Velickovic, Nikola Mirotic, Ante Tomic, Felipe Reyes, Carlos Suárez or Pablo Prigoni. True, but that team wasnt near to his prime. Llull and Tomic were 23 years old, Rodríguez was 24 and came back from the NBA after 5 years of benching, Velickovic didnt find his position in the team due to Messina. Only Prigoni, Reyes and Suárez were at his prime. Then we also had average players such as Tucker, Fischer, Begic or Vidal (Garbajosa left the team at the half of the season).

Also Messina left the team and we ended with Molin. Good RS, great Top16, irregular playoffs against Valencia (with Savanovic as star, and young De Colo as 2nd sword) and very bad FF, where we were smashed in both games against more experienced teams.

1) Fener will still make top 8.
    2) Even if they fail this year (not making F4) I'd keep him and tell him to build a new team. Give him free reign to buy and discontinue any player he deems appropriate.
    3) I doubt Fener will even reach their heights with another coach.
    4) This year's EL is the strongest and most competitive of all time. Thank god the Chinese changed their league rules and now the best players bar NBA came to Europe. I don't think that there ever was a season with so many candidates to win the title. Honestly, it's anyone between 7-8 teams this year.

Whoever sacks Obradovic needs their heads checked.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

Well I think some of the fener player are heavily overpaid and overvalued. I cant say who is the worst signing in the last 5 years Joff or Tompson except this no 1 pick canadian. I dont count him. You must be brain dead to pay Vesely 3 million euros and 2 million to Sloukas, Vesely always had problems with focussing. This issue got better with Obradovic but thinking he can carry you as your starting center a whole season shows your stupidity.

Then Fener fans accuse Yurt7 leaving Fenerbahce. Some player can carry his rages and some cant. For a year he tried to smack Mahmutoglu in a game and apologized because the turkish press criticized him.

I am pretty sure about Datome. He is in bad shape now but he will find his rhythm again. Sloukas is heavily overestimated but he provides some consistency. I dont know what to think about Kalinic though. Effort is ok he is not the most skilled guy but he gave always good d and made his open shots and I also like his post game, he nearly creates good finishing situations for him but cant make easy layups then.

Signing Bobby for 2 more years and giving Ahmet 3 years is really laughable. You have a guy like Jekiri in your league who has been great so far in Asvel and you go buying Stimac. Keeping Egehan Arna is another story that I never understood.

Fener fanbase will oversee his faux pas and he has also credit to fuck up this season. If he cant be solid next season though everyone will start questioning him.

Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen View Post
    1)Fener will still make top 8.
    they will get playoffs and will be an hard beast later
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 11-17-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: quote box fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Metec View Post
    "successes don't say a coach is great"
    i confirm. there are many coaches who won titles much worse than some coaches qho never won. blatt won el. ivanovic or trinchieri dont, but they are much better coaches. i could show u some even clear example, but the principle is clear anyway.
    - I thought that the goal is to be successful
    it is .when mta won under blatt i was the happiest fan. it doesnt mean i have to consider blatt a great coach and analyzing that title u would learn why won, u would discover incresibl,e mix of episodes far from blatt coach skills.
    again, success is important, for club and fans but just analysis should says if a winner coach is a good coach and must be confirmed or not.

If Alba will finish 8 it will be huge success, if CSKA will finish 8 it will be a horrible failure
    totally agree
    about saras, i respect your opinon. zalgiris had two good seasons considering results, bud they played horrible offensive bball. so how could u connect those two opposite view? imo, yes saras had two great season, but i ll never consider him for any el team remembering the way zalgiris played. u have to consider the starting market season. i always prefer a great techincal coach who never won than an av coach who won, because before starting i would have more chances to have better results.
    last but not least , sure ,there are great coaches who won! from laso to bartzokas for example.i m not writing that coaches who win are surely mediocre!
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 11-17-2019 at 05:44 PM. Reason: quote box fixed

Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen View Post
    1) Fener will still make top 8.
    2) Even if they fail this year (not making F4) I'd keep him and tell him to build a new team. Give him free reign to buy and discontinue any player he deems appropriate.
    3) I doubt Fener will even reach their heights with another coach.
    4) This year's EL is the strongest and most competitive of all time. Thank god the Chinese changed their league rules and now the best players bar NBA came to Europe. I don't think that there ever was a season with so many candidates to win the title. Honestly, it's anyone between 7-8 teams this year.

Whoever sacks Obradovic needs their heads checked.
    To provide some context, current Fener president has probably the biggest backing for a Fener president ever (rightfully so). Judging the mood of the fans, even he would see a huge backlash if Obradovic is sacked.
    Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
    Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
    Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
    Şampiyonluk gelince

Quote Originally Posted by maccabeo View Post
    i confirm. there are many coaches who won titles much worse than some coaches qho never won. blatt won el. ivanovic or trinchieri dont, but they are much better coaches. i could show u some even clear example, but the principle is clear anyway.

it is .when mta won under blatt i was the happiest fan. it doesnt mean i have to consider blatt a great coach and analyzing that title u would learn why won, u would discover incresibl,e mix of episodes far from blatt coach skills.
    again, success is important, for club and fans but just analysis should says if a winner coach is a good coach and must be confirmed or not.

totally agree
    about saras, i respect your opinon. zalgiris had two good seasons considering results, bud they played horrible offensive bball. so how could u connect those two opposite view? imo, yes saras had two great season, but i ll never consider him for any el team remembering the way zalgiris played. u have to consider the starting market season. i always prefer a great techincal coach who never won than an av coach who won, because before starting i would have more chances to have better results.
    last but not least , sure ,there are great coaches who won! from laso to bartzokas for example.i m not writing that coaches who win are surely mediocre!

You mentioned the business world before. And basically you are saying that you are preferring a CEO that fails for the right reasons than a CEO that succeeded because of the wrong reasons.

This is a dangerous opinion to hold, it similar to religious belief. If a reasonable man sees a super successful coach that in his opinion playing it wrong then his conclusion might be: "wait for a second, maybe the way that I thought is right, is not so right after all". You on the other side will continue to believe on Wednesday the same thing you believed on Monday no matter what happened on Tuesday.

For a stubborn people with this attitude, there is a quote that attributed to Napoleon (not sure he actually ever said it): "I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good.”
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 11-17-2019 at 05:44 PM. Reason: quote box fixed

I think there is no room for discussion when it comes to the coaching qualities of Obradovic. Some people might not like his playing style or philosophy but he is a magnificent coach. Also there is no one way that his teams play. He has adjusted over the years and came up with a number of different gameplans when he needed to win the game. In that sense, it is a bit crazy to even discuss him as mediocre or bad in any coaching aspect.

The issue on the other side is his behavior. I absolutely hate it. Berating players is a shitty thing to do. I can understand that guys are not playing well, some player is just not motivated etc. OK, bench him, cut him, bring a replacement. Make them suffer in practice etc. All that makes sense. Humiliating someone in a EL game on international media, that is just inexusable. There is a big difference between a passionate coach, getting heated in the middle of the game and a guy going nuts because he is frustrated that he is losing. Zeljko Obradovic is probably the worst loser in the history of basketball. When things are not going his way, he goes mental and yes that should be sanctioned.

Similar but slightly differant approach by Sir Alex on man-management.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...vard-academics

Zoc has changed from his time at PAO he never used to explode like this. OK he would sometimes berate Lakovic, Batiste or Tepic on the bench but never with swearing and the cameras rolling.

I once read someone we don't have patience when we are very young and when we get old. Zoc's is snapping much quicker than he use to.
    Last edited by EverGreen; 11-17-2019 at 09:21 AM.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

Quote Originally Posted by Metec View Post
    You mentioned the business world before. And basically you are saying that you are preferring a CEO that fails for the right reasons than a CEO that succeeded because of the wrong reasons.

This is a dangerous opinion to hold, it similar to religious belief. If a reasonable man sees a super successful coach that in his opinion playing it wrong then his conclusion might be: "wait for a second, maybe the way that I thought is right, is not so right after all". You on the other side will continue to believe on Wednesday the same thing you believed on Monday no matter what happened on Tuesday.

For a stubborn people with this attitude, there is a quote that attributed to Napoleon (not sure he actually ever said it): "I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good.”
    Maccabeo cares a lot about aesthetics and about winning in the right way. And really, this is the entertainment industry so a narrow focus on the end result isn't always the most important thing to all fans. For example, Barcelona football fans wouldn't accept playing long ball tactics every week even if it meant titles. Also, maccabeo lives in Italy and their teams have been obsessed with a perimeter based game for a long time now so I'm not surprised that he values it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    I think he is doing a much better job now than the previous season. I do have to admit though that Barcelona was a laughing stock before he came and he did a solid job last season. This year obviously he has everything he wanted, so we will see how that will develop.

Pesic is a strange mixture. He is a traditionalist and high on discipline and practice. That is something that usually doesn't translate well to modern players and he alienates the team after several years of this tough-love approach. So he needs to refresh the roster quite often to have results. In terms of basketball philosophy, he does seem traditional and out of date but actually he is quite a flexible guy. Before all, he is a player's coach despite his strictness. He lets his players do their job and rarely overcoaches and scrips every single thing. Every team he coached usually the main guys were happy with him and could score at will etc.

He is obviously on his last coaching years and energy levels are not what they used to be but I think that the relaxed Barca atmosphere is actually good for him. Obviously if he stays there a few season with this level of a roster and doesn't deliver at least 1 title, he will be considered a failure in his return to Barca.
    Thanks for the reply Coach. You're right that he's not shy of players that will score. I thought he did well with Barca last season, only one game away from the final 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chacho View Post
    I agree with the whole CoachZ's statement, but I disagree about the fact that Real Madrid was the strongest team in 2011 FF.

Yeah, nowadays you look to that roster and you can find big names like Sergio Rodríguez, Sergio Llull, Nociva Velickovic, Nikola Mirotic, Ante Tomic, Felipe Reyes, Carlos Suárez or Pablo Prigoni. True, but that team wasnt near to his prime. Llull and Tomic were 23 years old, Rodríguez was 24 and came back from the NBA after 5 years of benching, Velickovic didnt find his position in the team due to Messina. Only Prigoni, Reyes and Suárez were at his prime. Then we also had average players such as Tucker, Fischer, Begic or Vidal (Garbajosa left the team at the half of the season).
    Oh Chacho, how could you betray Clay like that??

Fener's roster just isn't very good. We warned you guys about their guards before last season but last season Fener's continuity of roster was able to keep them afloat for one more regular season, but other teams like Efes had caught up by the playoffs, and other teams like Maccabi, Armani, and Barca have caught up now.

de Colo is great but otherwise it's just a second-rate roster, especially in the backcourt. They'll still make the playoffs but they've got to start taking some chances on younger guards -- the multitude of mid-30s guards just isn't going to cut it when other teams are signing and building around Larkin, Wilbekin, James, etc.

Maccabeo cares a lot about aesthetics and about winning in the right way. And really, this is the entertainment industry so a narrow focus on the end result isn't always the most important thing to all fans. For example, Barcelona football fans wouldn't accept playing long ball tactics every week even if it meant titles. Also, maccabeo lives in Italy and their teams have been obsessed with a perimeter based game for a long time now so I'm not surprised that he values it.
    It's just funny to me that he trashes American basketball when American basketball has become the embodiment of this "perimetral" basketball he glorifies and that Maccabi has basically turned into Warriors-lite this season with Wilbekin as their Curry. The big difference last season to this season for Maccabi is defense, though. Hunter and Bryant are both huge additions for their interior and wing defense

no
    i think the more u play well,the more u have chance to win

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast