This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek NT - 2019 and onwards

Kalathis announced that OQT next year might be his last participation with the national team.
    You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

It means the greek nt will be stronger after olympic qualifiers. I like Moraitis but he needs time.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
      It means the greek nt will be stronger after olympic qualifiers. I like Moraitis but he needs time.
      Lets agree that we disagree on this!

Comment

Originally posted by fasoulaki View Post
        Lets agree that we disagree on this!
        ok

here is the video btw for the others.

Comment

Calathes choice is logical. He started at 2009 and till now he missed only one summer(2013). He is the exception of Greek-Americans that love to play in National team even if he has injury problems.

Now why do i think it's logical? It's because national team hasn't become a TEAM all these years. Calathes follows the beaten path of all our stars.

Diamantidis 30, Papaloukas 31, Spanoulis 33, Ntikoudis 30, Tsartsaris 31 etc all these guys stopped playing for some "undisclosed reasons".

Let's hope that his last tournament will be the one to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by soulis79 View Post
            I have severe doubts that Greece has any chance to play a successful OQT. There will be many quality teams in this tournament and only a few available spots. In addition I do not see any reason why Greece should present itself in a better way than this year. Most core players will be one year older. Thats it.

Regarding team building, I think this is one of the main responsibilities of the coaching stuff. You need someone in charge who inspires the new generation and keeps them all motiviated and focused on the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by fasoulaki View Post
              I have severe doubts that Greece has any chance to play a successful OQT. There will be many quality teams in this tournament and only a few available spots. In addition I do not see any reason why Greece should present itself in a better way than this year. Most core players will be one year older. Thats it.

Regarding team building, I think this is one of the main responsibilities of the coaching stuff. You need someone in charge who inspires the new generation and keeps them all motiviated and focused on the goal.
              If the four groups will be based on FIBA basketball rankings, the Greece avoids France, Serbia and Lithuania. Without saying that Greece is a super team, they should have their chances. If however FIBA matches good teams together, then nothing is certain for any team.
              PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by soulis79 View Post
                Calathes choice is logical. He started at 2009 and till now he missed only one summer(2013). He is the exception of Greek-Americans that love to play in National team even if he has injury problems.

Now why do i think it's logical? It's because national team hasn't become a TEAM all these years. Calathes follows the beaten path of all our stars.

Diamantidis 30, Papaloukas 31, Spanoulis 33, Ntikoudis 30, Tsartsaris 31 etc all these guys stopped playing for some "undisclosed reasons".

Perhaps Greek players should change their philosophy. Take on Spain's example. Look at Gasol, after his 30s he sits out sometimes and joins when he feels he is ready.

Comment

Rumors that Pitino will take over the greek nt in the summer... dunno how serious the rumors are...

Comment

Rumors that Pitino will take over the greek nt in the summer... dunno how serious the rumors are...
                    According to the president of the Hellenic federation, they are quite serous. Even Pitino admitted that he is considering. If he signs, Greece will have a coach experienced at the highest level since Giannakis. And more importantly, Greece will eliminate one of the weakest links of Greek NT. A coach who will definitely be able to use Giannis in the right way.

Comment

If I am Pitino I think long and hard before I make this decision. The Olympics being the most nationalist event out there can present a very awkward situation. Donnie Nelson was an assistant coach for Lithuania and was a major figure since Lithuanian basketball became independent back in 1992. He tells the story of how conflicted he was in the 2000 semifinal against the US. Pitino should contemplate a potential scenario in which he leads the Greek team over the US in a knockout game. If he can live with everything that entails than he should go for it. But if it potentially would present a major problem for him then he should not accept the job.
                      Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Pitino is officially the new head coach of Greece NT.

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer will take over Greece in the Olympic qualifying tournament.
                        5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Awesome. Can't believe how lucky we are to have him as our NT coach.
                          Euroleague IBN Game Champion 2007-2008
                          2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2008-2009

"And then comes Panathinaikos and their young center, Pekovic. He hit me once and it was like getting hit by a train.
                          He's a big boy. I said to him, "How much you weigh?" and he said, "Too much".

And he was right."

Ricardo Greer, Nancy

Comment

Pitino will coach only in Pre-Olympic tournament. Skourtopoulos seems that he will remain as head coach for the upcoming windows, though his contract will expire soon (31/12).

Pitino is a well known coach, a legend to his country with a ton of accomplishments. In Greece he retouched Panathinaikos image and style of play last year. It looks that he is a very accepted choice to Greek basketball community (Fans, media, federation).

I wish him the best. I really want him to achieve the Olympic qualification and i am very positive that he will come up with a plan to help the team. The only question mark is his last job as a national coach, Puerto Rico (2015). He failed at everything (Pan American games and Americup) and steeped down after three months.

So, let's wait and see. Step by step. Draw, availability from our players and then coach plan.

Comment

Well with Pitino we'll have another guard to chose in Pappas since Skourtopoulos wouldn't call him up because he regards him a devisive figure.

Because it's the Olympics I think pretty much every player will want to be part of the team.
                              Last edited by EverGreen; 11-10-2019, 08:21 AM.
                              Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
                              Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

When the OAKA foundations moved a couple metres
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbFl2mO8E0

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information