This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R1ou View Post
    You're comparing an established EL player with random Eurocpt or CL guys, who don't even have spectacular stats to begin with. If you get a boner watching someone having 7 and 4 in this level that's okay although I'm sorry to break it for you but that's not a sign for a promising career in Euroleague as you may think.
    A Euroleague player with spectacular stats is already a good role player in Euroleague. Incidently, many big teams play with CL or Eurocup player. Look at Milosavljevic or Bircevic in Serbia, Maciulis in AEK Athens and so on. The roles in the turkish national team are clear. They just need to fill their roles and they can do more than this.

About making the jump to Euroleague... Some will and some not its also not very important since many many good guys come after. The problem with Papanikolaou was his adventure in the NBA. He was a good guy. After his return to Europe he had found himself a bit and got very bad again. Making 8 points in a not playoff making team means not much. This can be performed by any Eurocup upper player. He cant simply put the ball into the basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
      The only two guards that could be called decent are Dorsey and Sloukas. I can count you 3-4 guards from Turkey that are better performing than Larentzakis now and who are much younger. The main difference will be the utilizing of the whole team. Just calathes pass quality makes sure that the whole team works. Neither the guards, nor the Forwards can create for themselves in Greece (except Sloukas, Dorsey and Papapetrou to a certain degree. Calathes loss will have a bigger impact on Greece than Ilyasova for Turkey.
      mate, don't misunderstand me but can you please stop hijacking all the threads by turning them around Turkish prospects? if they're any good, we will see them soon, writing novels about them in irrelevant threads does not help. If you like to talk about Greek prospects, great, but it will be a lot more meaningful if you stick to Greeks, without comparing them to ours.
      5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
        mate, don't misunderstand me but can you please stop hijacking all the threads by turning them around Turkish prospects? if they're any good, we will see them soon, writing novels about them in irrelevant threads does not help. If you like to talk about Greek prospects, great, but it will be a lot more meaningful if you stick to Greeks, without comparing them to ours.
        Well we were talking about the possible matchup in the Qualifiers and i havent started the discussion but ok do as you like.

Comment

A Euroleague player with spectacular stats is already a good role player in Euroleague. Incidently, many big teams play with CL or Eurocup player. Look at Milosavljevic or Bircevic in Serbia, Maciulis in AEK Athens and so on. The roles in the turkish national team are clear. They just need to fill their roles and they can do more than this.

About making the jump to Euroleague... Some will and some not its also not very important since many many good guys come after. The problem with Papanikolaou was his adventure in the NBA. He was a good guy. After his return to Europe he had found himself a bit and got very bad again. Making 8 points in a not playoff making team means not much. This can be performed by any Eurocup upper player. He cant simply put the ball into the basket.
          I insist we take things at face value. Papagiannis (22), Mitoglou (22), Dorsey (23), Papapetrou (25), Pappas (29), Sloukas (30), Papanikolaou (29) are key players, getting minutes for EL teams with heavy burdens in order to win. Giannis (25) is already the best player in the world.

Calathes is going to be a huge loss, but at least Dorsey can shoot the lights out. The game has changed. Crazy teams like New Zealand were shooting like headless chickens and were a serous threat. Perhaps Greece can use some of that philosophy. With Giannis on the team, all Greece needs is shooters. Pitino already said that he may select shooters at the expense of more talented players.

As for your comparisons. If you make an ensemble of mediocre Eurocup and TBL players and give them important roles in a EL team, they will be squashed as they will lower the level of the team.
          PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

I insist we take things at face value. Papagiannis (22), Mitoglou (22), Dorsey (23), Papapetrou (25), Pappas (29), Sloukas (30), Papanikolaou (29) are key players, getting minutes for EL teams with heavy burdens in order to win.
            Yeah but they are not very successful with it. I am not very impressed by those names tbh.

Giannis (25) is already the best player in the world.
            Well his strength suits the nba well but WC 19 was not very successful and this claim is quite controversial. For me there are some other names but he is undoubtfully among the top 10. For me its Kawhi Leonard right now.

With Giannis on the team, all Greece needs is shooters.
            Absolutely correct! and thats your problem. You dont have those shooters. There is literally no consistent shooter in greek nt. Sure, some are not bad but still most of them are very streaky. I am not allowed to make comparisons. Big boss forbade it but if i think of consistent shooter then i think of Serbia, Italy or Turkey. Thats a weakness of greek basketball. Dorsey is the only guy who is worth mentioning.

As for your comparisons. If you make an ensemble of mediocre Eurocup and TBL players and give them important roles in a EL team, they will be squashed as they will lower the level of the team.
            There is no need for this. No team beside USA or restricted Canada has 10 stars on its team. A team out of Eurocup players might have difficulties in the Euroleague but 5 stars and 7 eurocup teams can be a very solid team

Comment

A team out of Eurocup players might have difficulties in the Euroleague but 5 stars and 7 eurocup teams can be a very solid team
              It's not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                It's not enough.
                Well see soon enough.

Comment

Well see soon enough.
                  But that's just my point. We already have seen in many previous tournaments. A few NBA players is not enough. Sure on any given day they can beat perhaps anyone. But that's exceptional. Perhaps Turkey can create good form, as they did some tournaments and shine. But in general, less than a handful of stars and some scrubs, is not enough. Loosing Illyasova and Erdern, is therefore going to be a shock. As especially Illyasova is one of the three pillars of Turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                    But that's just my point. We already have seen in many previous tournaments. A few NBA players is not enough. Sure on any given day they can beat perhaps anyone. But that's exceptional. Perhaps Turkey can create good form, as they did some tournaments and shine. But in general, less than a handful of stars and some scrubs, is not enough. Loosing Illyasova and Erdern, is therefore going to be a shock. As especially Illyasova is one of the three pillars of Turkey.
                    You really dont understand it. Again, Ilyasova wont quit the nt this season and i am sure he will be with the team in 2021.

The turkish nt technically defeated the US team in 2 OT with the injuries of Wilbekin and Erden. Again the czechs they lost because of 2 OTs against USA and an injured Ilyasova.

For the qualifiers there will be an Older Korkmaz who is a legit NBA player now and an older Osman and Ilyasova is Ilyasova. In addition to that Shane Larkin, the best player by far in Europe will be on the roster. In addition to that the scrubs get better every season. In general the team will be better and better each year.

For the losses of Erden and Ilyasova. There are plenty guys who will take over in two years. Yurtseven even though he wont participate this year will be a NBA Center in the future, Adem Bona and Alperen Sengün will be with the team in two years. The first one is considered already to be an NBA draftee. There are at least 3 guys in each generation who proves to be a high level prospect. I can assure you that the next years the turkish nt is going to be stronger.

The difference between Turkish and Greek bb is Turkey produces enough prospects and Greece doesnt especially in terms of bigs. I have been a follower of youth bb and worked with prospects a certain time. I know what i am talking about. The loss of Calathes will be far more devastating than the loss of the power forward like Ilyasova.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information