Page 55 of 64 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1269

Thread: 2020 Lithuanian NT: in a chase of Olympic dream

i checked nba standings so far so good for our NT how its going on.

Firstly it looks like Jonas and Domas teams will lose in play in games and both will be free from nba from May 23.

Doncic Mavs it very important what they will get in first round. Only 2 possibilities left its Nuggets or Clippers.

Mavs is not beating Clippers in a serries,but they damm sure can beat Nuggets without Murray in a serries.

If Mavs win first round and lose in second Luka is comming to Kaunas directly from playoofs and will have like 5 days to get chemistry with Slovenia NT players.

If Mavs somehow make miracles run to West finals Luka is not playing at all in Kaunas.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 05-09-2021 at 05:10 AM.

Mantas Kalnietis become VTB season MVP at 34,5 i have to say impressive.That diet he is doing 16 hours not eating nothing prolonged his career.

But im suprised that russians understands basketball not goes just by scored points. Kalnietis teams at this stage of his career (built over time very high basketball iq) are simply winning those minutes when he runs the team . Mantas gives other players ball in positions where they feel the best.

When i was saying same shit in window games and show stats with +- one expert said it was because he played with Birutis those minutes

Maskoliunas must use him very smartly in first 2 group easy games to have Mantas with fresh legs for semifinal and especially final.

Againts Korea and Venezuala Jokubaitis can play 20+min. For Mantas 15min average enough in those 2 possible blowout games.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 05-10-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Kalnietis wasn't shinning in NT windows ever since 2019 WC till that game against Denmark where he really stood up. When you 34-35 it's tough to travel and play everywhere. Also, it shouldn't rise some huge expectations on Kalnietis in the NT as well (and you Shaw was fast enough to do just that, giving him the ball and asking to win FIBA games in the clutch time). The club ballgame is much more fluid and oiled, most of the time he doesn't need to hustle much just make the right passes in run and flow basketball. He's still good, but let's not ask incredible thing from him. In FIBA you always have to provide athleticism, toughness, explosiveness, stamina. FIBA games are more anarchistic and rigid compared to club basketball. Also it's short term punch. Teams preparing to show their best for a good week. So it's basically an explosion of physicality. While Kalnietis can run fluid p'n'r and to move the ball to right corners at the right time, he won't be the guy who will split the D with gutsy explosive drive anymore, his physicality is not at that level anymore. Kalnietis will be as successful as our set offense and p'n'r game will be perfected and in NT it never is perfected, but other than that expectations should be down to earth. If he can give us 7-9pts, 4-6as in 20minutes, it will be a great contribution for a veteran.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Kalnietis scoring went down since 2017.But what goes with playmaking it is on another level. He understand game way better than he did lets 8 years ago.

Right now Mantas play the game more with head not with his running and jumping abilities like in peak years.Thats why his asists number went up highly,now he already understand positions where to give ball and where not give to other players.

He cant play 30min in fiba every second day,his body wont recover as it used to.

But that he can give us one good critical game with 28minutes no doubt he can even now.Mantas shown that 3 months ago.

Coach must coach his minutes in such way that for critical game (Slovenia) Mantas would have fresh legs.

At 34 old PG i judge game not by scored pts. Those days are gone for him.

I judge pg how well he runs team ,did he put other players in right positions and feed them .

I really hope we'll finally have good Kaunas' tournament shooting wise. We are really better shooting team than we showed in 2019.

This season in EL Lekavicius shot 50% threes, Grigonis 45.6%, Giedraitis 40.5%, Jokubaitis 38.8%, Ulanovas 40%, Sedekerskis 36.7%.

In NBA JV 36.8%, Sabonis 32%, Brazdeikis 39.1%

In Eurocup Kalnietis 37.9%, Kuzminskas 34.4%

We can shoot the rock pretty solidly, surely better than we showed in 2019 WC. If Grigonis, Giedraitis, Lekavicius will have a good shooting tournament alone, that will be huge difference because I think those three will take most of the shots from perimeter.

I don't think shooting is our main concern at all, as our whole basketball school is based on it and we have had a lot of very reliable shooterts throughout our history...it's the playmaking and reliable perimeter defense which has been always killing us against any elite team

When Lukas,Kalnietis,Grigonis,Giedraitis and Kuzminskas shoots 3s i believe ball is going in.

All others i dont believe they gonna make it when they shoot long shot when i watch game.

Those % of Jonas,Domas,Sedekerskis and Ulanovas are fake they shoot like 1 shot per game at best and only when they are totally wide open.

Coaches is risking on such type players.

Our NT isnt that bad shooting team as 2019 shown,but we are not good shooting team either at best average one.

All our bigs simply dont shoot well. Lavri bros or Kleiza thats how looks good shooting bigs.

Most of the time we will have 2 players on the floor that allowing long shot is acceptable risk defence.

Generally yes. We are average team in terms of shooting ATM. Ulanovas can make a shot actually. His career threes 37.6% and he was 68 threes in his last season with Zalgiris, that's more than 2 shots per game. His shape now is super questionable though. Sedekerskis can make an open shot. That's all what you ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Generally yes. We are average team in terms of shooting ATM. Ulanovas can make a shot actually. His career threes 37.6% and he was 68 threes in his last season with Zalgiris, that's more than 2 shots per game. His shape now is super questionable though. Sedekerskis can make an open shot. That's all what you ask for it.

All our 12 players can make wide open 3pointer,but half of them are risk defence material to help from.

Thats why our NT cant be considered good shooting team.In best shooting teams is hard to find more than one player that coach can risk from.

All those combinations JV+Domas, Domas+Sedekerskis inside double team is coming from PF position , untill our PF will prove they can make those long shot on daily basis.

Shit happend in nba clippers and mavericks didnt take seriuosly rested main players and both lost last game.

Now Luka and Mavs got bad matchup for them vs Clippers in first round again.

Very likely Luka is comming to Kaunas .

ps. Miami also is underdogs in first round.If Miami exist in first round hopefully Zoran wont be able to convince Goran to join him for last dance .
    Last edited by Shawshank; 05-17-2021 at 07:54 AM.

No contradictions here. As for Mavs vs Clippers it 50/50 to me.

Clippers played dirty game yesterday managed to lose againts other very bad tanking team to avoid Lakers and at some point sport god's will punish them for that.

But Mavs is very favourable matchup for them.Luka greatness again can win 2 games, but at the end of day Leonard,George,Morris gonna beat him up like last year.

Mavs would have had way better matchup againts Nuggets.Denver don't have nothing even close to what clippers again gonna put on Doncic for those 6 tough fought games.

For clippers Jokic is nightmare matchup, for Luka clippers is toughest matchup in entire league, For nuggets they don't wanna no part guarding Luka.

Matchups is huge deal in those long playoofs serries.

looking at Slovenia prelimin roster they announce if our NT team at home cant beat Doncic with 3 euroleague players other average uleb players our NT dont belong to be in Olympics simple as that.

No Goran,No Morgan . They main bigs veterans Vidmar and Omic .Valanciunas dont need to guard therm from distance and protect paint .Perfect matchup for Jonas such old school bigs.

Till final should be 3 convincing +15pts wins .

Last year Porzingis was out pretty much. This time they should have him and if he will deliver to me it's basically 50/50.

As I expected we should hear 14-16 players list this week:

D. Maskoliūnas rinktinės kandidatų sąrašą, kuriame turėtų būti 14-16 krepšininkų pavardės, paskelbs kitą savaitę, o į pirmąją stovyklą prieš olimpinę atranką lietuviai rinksis lygiai po mėnesio. Visgi gali susiklostyti tokia situacija, kad stovyklą teks pradėti be paties vyriausiojo trenerio ir jo asistento Tomo Masiulio.

PS: Shaw, you underrate Poland. They will bite like a mother fuckers. I mean that's a serious team. That's the team which can beat us on a good game. +15 is way too optimistic scenario. We just have to grab a win.

To me with Doncic Slovenia is a slight favorite.

Porzingis never able to stay healthy. 3-4 tough playoofs competitive games and his body gets some injury.

I believe this years Clippers is better team,so if they beat mavs last year with bad chemistry and real dislikes in their own lookeroom.I would be very suprised seeing diffrent result with smart veterans joining clippers this season in Ibaka,Rondo,Batum.

Obviuosly i will root for mavs ,but brain says Clippers have too manny weapons for Mavs to handle in a serries.

Poland can beat us? sorry i dont see that

That 2019 world cup run was just luck of draw they went chinas way (after beating them in group) that organisators gave host team before tournament with suspiciuos draw.

If we thinking about competing in main olympic tournament with NTs that will have 5-6 nba players,Poland is not opponents we should fear especially playing at home.

from all first 3 pots Poland was the weakest team in this olympic draw.That was pure luck to get them and not some Turkey,Czechs or Italy from same pots.

The only real worry in this weak qualyfing Kaunas tournament for our NT is Luka.

Others NT we got we should beat even without our 2 nba players help.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 05-17-2021 at 04:11 PM.

If we thinking about competing in main olympic tournament with NTs that will have 5-6 nba players,Poland is not opponents we should fear especially playing at home.

from all first 3 pots Poland was the weakest team in this olympic draw.That was pure luck to get them and not some Turkey,Czechs or Italy from same pots.

The only real worry in this weak qualyfing Kaunas tournament for our NT is Luka.

Others NT we got we should beat even without our 2 nba players help.
    Yeah, that's the attitude that made a joke out of Maskoliunas. The thing is that even pretty stacked team of 2012 which was surely not worse than this team on the paper and better prepared, had major difficulties against second, third tier FIBA opponents on the first glance. The thing is that these days you have to give your 100% to beat average European FIBA teams and we will have very short preparation. If that would be Eurobasket with a decent camp (and decent coach...) prior that, we would take down Poland rather comfortably most likely. This time it also will like 40/60 kind of situation, but in such short/nasty competition, do or die game, local pressure which will all be on us...Things can more than realistically happen. I see nervous and rather equal game for almost 3 quarters as most likeable scenario. Even in WC FIBA qualification, we really had a battle with Poland while we had both Valanciunas and Sabonis. Those guys delivered and we won, but that was a ball game alright.

All this logic "we should beat this and that if we want..." is crap and you know it. Arguably deepest NT ever in 2003 won against Latvia my a miracle (crazy bank three point shot from the corner by Macas ), we barely beat Angola or whatever in 2004 and so on. There's no easy path even for superior teams, there was no walk in the park ever for us or for any other team other than Dream Team 1992 and maybe Spanish golden generation in some tournaments (but even they used to sleep or underperform in the group stage). Don't jump on Maskoliunas' (already nearly a mythological creature due to his cockiness, naiveness) rake.

My rude awakening came when Team Lietuva lost to just about everybody in the 2009 Eurobasket and then to Nigeria and almost to Puerto Rico in the 2012 Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Poland can never defeat LTU, not in 1000 attempts

Never is a long time. Against Poland Lithuania is 8-2 with the most recent loss 86-75 coming in the 2009 Eurobasket.

Explain me how Dimsa is better than Beliauskas who is playing better in ACB? Why exactly Dimsa is considered to be closer NT? The only reason now is that Dimsa participated in FIBA windows where NT badly sucked and Dimsa's performances there were up and down. Off course, none of them should be in the NT, IMO, but I have no idea why people making a player out of Dimsa. He can't play at the high level. I would probably argue that Sirvydis is a better player already at the high level than Dimsa and I'm not even suggesting that Sirvydis should necessary be in the camp (I almost sure he won't be invited, camp is too short and Sirvydis yet didn't prove himself enough).

In 3months nothing dramatically can change. Player nr 35 is not becoming better than nr 16 on ltu best basketball players list in very short time.

In Dimsa and Beliauskas case when they both played in lkl last year 2020 nobody was arguing who is better.

So why Zalgiris sign Dimsa and not Bieliauskas last summer? Maybe that organisation does some research and not signing anybody from street?

One good season in system that theoretically can fits player nicely doesnt make him good player.I would say players need to have like 2-3 seasons in diffrent places like that then result is not some fluke.

For year you advocated for Kulboka or Giedraitis here,now find Beliauskas,next year another and so on ? comon that not seriuos.

Btw Dimsa didnt badly sucked in window games. .Stop making things up.

Dimsa give in 17min 10pts and +5 (3rd best in team) when he was on the floor in most important game.

4 leading scorers in that crusial game Kalnietis,Maciulis,Kariniauskas,Dimsa 11+10+10+10= 41pts from 77 entires teams.

By played minutes Arnas 28,Mantas 27,Kariniauskas 26,Maciulis 24,Bendzius 20,Dimsa 17 nobody else played even 15min.

(Kuz would have been 20+min player,but got injury in first half)

Its not rockets science its is obviuos signs who Maskoliunas lean to in critical game and who he sees as real candidates from that NT B roster.

Page 55 of 64 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast