2020 Lithuanian NT: in a chase of Olympic dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
    Shawshank, sorry, but you can't read what is written. It has been said to you plenty of time, and not only by me, but you continue to live in your own planet. You have to be precise (very precise) on what is written to have a meaningful conversation. If you fail with it, there's no point to continue.
    It hurts when you don't have basketball arguments to back it up what you want to prove doesn't it?

Very precise ? jeazz it somekind text understanding or what? It's open forum men relax a bit it's not that seriuos you know

You understood well what I meant, you just don't have contraarguments so better keep talking about and your draft prospects where you are kinda ok ,in others basketball areas you are kinda weak, but maybe you will improve later own with your very precise text understanting thing.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 10-26-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Motiejunas needed one qualification week to f***ed up things with other NT coach... to do not even make top 25 super long list wow.

He was asshole at 20 nothing changed 10 years later.Such selfish people simply don't change.

I don't care how much tallent player can have,but if he is selfish asshole I don't wanna such persona in our NT lockeroom.At some point such personas breaks entire loockeroom to parts.
      Last edited by Shawshank; 10-26-2020, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Shawshank, I never get empty of arguments, but I can be disappointed with your inability to get precise meaning of my words or too vulgar distortion of those words with your interpretations.

I never said Kazlauskas wasn't a better defensive mind than Adomaitis. I said that 2013-2016 teams, roster wise, wasn't elite defensively per se and even numbers wise. Kalnietis, Pocius, Valanciunas never were good defenders. As I said, the only true elite defender was Maciulis. Seibutis was very solid, but again not an elite defender. Now about numbers: 68ppg by opponents in 2013EB, 71,7ppg in 2015EB. That's Kazlauskas. 72pts in 2017EB and 67pts in 2019WC. That's Adomaitis. Numbers do not indicate that Lithuania was playing elite D. In 2013, the knock out stage, Liths allowed 73ppg for opponents, in 2015 77,5ppg. Now let's assume that games against CAN, FRA and AUS were kinda knock out stage games (three best opponents), and we have 77ppg allowed for opponents. Facts don't back up your idea that Kazlauskas teams were elite defensively, you simply remember one or other very good game defensively, that's all.

How we won 2 medals? We already said it N times. Great draw, super spot on peak of the team (didn't happen in 2016 though), solid offensive and defensive (but not elite) performance lead by borderline elite (IMO) coach.

I never liked Maciulis as a person, but I never tried to kick him out. I simply criticized some of his game aspects. F.e. he was overdoing in worst fashion at the group stage of 2014, trying to be the leader, but he got away with some clutch shots in the knock out stage. Now in 2015 he was brilliant, I said it N times.

Teodosic to me is not a breed of a game changer PER SE. He was a leading flour general, elite team players, just as Jasikevicius was, but not a game changer as some Bogdanovic is now, who can drop 20-23ppg. TEO never could do that. To me, the game changer is the guy who can make it by himself, to go ISO. Marciulionis was a true game changer. Prime Kleiza was close to that. Players like Teodosic and Jasikevicius is not that kind of a breed. They won't take the ball and will close the game individually. They would play p'n'r, facilitate, rely on system BALL. Players like Parker, Mills, Fournier, Dragic, Doncic, Bogdanovic will take the ball and will go for ISO hunt and will try to close the game.

You have an argument with the winning team though. I can't say very comfortably that 2019 FRA, AUS were better than 2015 SRB, but Serbia really didn't have true game changer in their roster.

And the best example how you not listening is that I never said D. Giedraitis already has to be in the real tournament NT. I said he had to be in that summer camp based on youth and maybe tested in winter's FIBA qualifiers. That's why you have to be very precise. And, you missing the point, that D.Giedraitis is already basically in the position where he would deserve to be in PRE- OLYMPICS camp. I don't see him making the roster, not at the moment, but he's there already. Jokubaitis also played only 6 real deal EL games as true rotation player, is that denies the level that he's providing at the moment. Giedraitis has the package, I've seen him and I know him. If injuries won't follow him, he will be a high IQ SG stud with a solid D for long years of EL and NT. It's a rare breed, but luckily recently we have players of such breed in Grigonis, Jokubaitis who will be followed soon by D.Giedraitis andA. Marciulionis (Velicka being a borderliner of such breed). I call it - high IQ, all around true guards. When you notice such breed, you don't need 30 EL games, you know there's the GEM that any winning team is looking for coming up and deserves attention.
        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
        Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Its not about roster is defensive minded or not its about defence you played in playoofs.If your team didnt have defensive elite builted bodies and you still built fantastic team defence coach Kazlauskas deserves even more applauds.

My memory dont recall too manny good offensive flashbacks when game was on the line of 2013-2016 when we won close game after close game in those years,but i remember multiple stops in last minutes. Kazlauskas teams mostly won by making defensive stops, i dont remember nothing beautifull there offensively. How manny game winning shots our NT scored in those 2-3 point wins in Kazlauskas era? I remember Maciulis scoring some cluth shot,but other than that nothing comes to my mind offensively.

2019 playoofs games was only Australia and France we allow 87 and 78 pts i dont consider that good defence with average of 82,5pts.

I dont care that NT allowed Senegal score 47pts and Dominica 55pts and got nice overall average.Those number are not telling the truth what was happening in 2 main games.We couldnt make no stops in last minute of both games.

2017 Adomaitis played only one playoofs game against very slow minded stylistic team Greece we allowed 77pts to them... Sved defensive expert leaded Russians allowed only 69pts and won 1/4 against same team 2 days later.

2013 playoofs 1/4 Italy score 77pts, 1/2 Croatia scored 62pts, final France scores 80pts average: 73
          2015 playoofs 1/4 Italy scores 79pts 1/2 Serbia scored 64pts final Spain 80pts average: 74

2017-2019 Adomaitis 3 playoofs games 77pts, 78 pts, 85 pts. average: 80

sorry i see the diffrence.I couldn even say Kazlauskas opponents was stronger by offensive tallent,they had to play both tournament champions in 2013 France twice 2015 Spain. If Kazlauskas teams would meet Greece defensive minded team final score would be in 60s for both teams With Italian running and shooting from 8meters is harder to keep them under 80 than slow style of Greece under 70.

2014 1/4 playoofs win versus Turkey there were nothing beatifull ugly defensive battle 74-61

2016 we all know what happend our team started strong with 3 wins and Spain demolished by 50pts and broke our NT and took their hearts out after that it was over for our team.

Kazlauskas teams in my mind remembers are tough noise fighters that was finding ways to win with their defence games they could win.Againts powerhouses like Usa,Spain,France they simply didnt have enough oiffensive power to compete till the end.But playoofs games they had enough tallent to win they won in ugly style or not who cares.

Its more about players character and smart coaching than anything else in such type of winning.
          Last edited by Shawshank; 10-27-2020, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• Again, Kazlauskas was a better coach, I don't even question that. But even if you really tried hard with the numbers "pushing the bed sheet to your own side", I still don't see big difference in numbers. Six points difference? Meh...I see it more like, Kazlauskas teams were a bit better defensively, but Adomaitis' teams were much better offensively, specially 2019, that's why the team stayed close in the game with true powerhouses while Kazlauskas only managed to do that once in the knock out stage (Serbia). The thing is that Adomaitis had a better team in 2019.

And f.e. 2019WC was basically like Olympics, aside USA and Canada teams. France had the best team, Australia also had all the keys. To me, the best comparison is between 2016 and 2019. That is true international stage of all world's powerhouses. In 2016 Lithuania simply got swept, you can't just ignore that, it's a part of Kazlauskas legacy, it happened. If you look for excuses, Adomaitis also had plenty, like not having Seibutis and Lekavicius in 2017. Why not to take than 2 best teams from 2016 and 2 best teams from 2019? It would be Spain and Australia (99,5ppg allowed) and Australia, France (82,5). Now that's the difference. Why not to take this one?

And lastly, I think you missing the point that I would take Italy over Greece as 4finals opponents any day. Greece has always been more fundamentally sound team, much more fundamentally sound and smarter team, better balanced, better defensive team, always higher in FIBA rankings as well. Italy has always been borderline powerhouse with some flukes and their best times in 00's, it's a scoring team, but unpredictable and brakable, just like Turkey (as well rather comfortable opponent for Kazlauskas in 2014WC 4 finals). It's one thing to go against Italy and other to go against fundamentally sound Greece, I'm not even talking about France/Australia...

Not to take anything away from Kazlauskas, he did a very good job, but I think 2019 team is probably the second best team after 2010 in 10's, IMO.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Voting for the best Lith of 2020 took place. I admit I skipped women part because I don't want to be a dilettante. Here's how I voted:

U16 P. Murauskas (by far, unless maybe we got to see Augustas Brazdeikis)
              U18 A. Tubelis (Marciulionis fair competitor tough)
              U20 R. Jokubaitis (nasty competition: Sirvydis, D. Giedraitis, M. Blazevic)

Best player of 2020: Domantas Sabonis (becoming an ALL STAR says it all and I think R. Giedraitis made the biggest leap and surprised the most, MIP of the year could be a nomination)

Išrinkite geriausią 2021 krepšininką ir krepšininkę ir laimėkite puikus prizus. Norint dalyvauti konkurse, būtina registracija, prizų kiekis ribotas!

Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Some nominee lists are too long. Some players doesn't deserve to be there, the same like some journalists in their category, lol Ribakas, Pakenas, Tiskevicius... to name a few. Also missed Varanauskas in 3x3 list, they arranged such a long list, but missed one of the best players there, he was rocking in Palanga in summer.

At first glance obvious winners are: Jocyte (u16), Murauskas (u16), Zdaneviciute (u18), Jokubaitis (u20), Petronyte, Sabonis, journalist Kazlauskas. Others close or have no idea

Comment

• Jumping to the right space for our recent conversation in "Euroleague" thread, I think the dark horse as possible serious candidate to make NT at the backcourt (wing) is Ignas Brazdeikis. Imagine that he's becoming consistent rotation player of Knicks, dropping some 6-10pts in the NBA, with his all around scoring skillset. It would be a tough call. Both are scorers who struggle defensively. Giedraitis knows FIBA better and more experienced, Brazdeikis is much more versatile and likely more explosive "go get it" short stretches scorer. Even if I have R. Giedraitis as a lock pretty much, I see a need for evaluation of Brazdeikis' NBA season.

Also, I wouldn't exclude the possibility to bring A.Tubelis to the camp as a candidate at 4. If he will mess in NCAA big time from the scratct and will provide huge strides of development, he may surpass such players as Sedekerskis, Kulboka already this season and will be superior beast at the age of 19 already. He's of that kind of a breed that you can't exclude such perspective. And differently than 19yo Domas Sabonis, Tubelis already has much more superior and legit defensive presence and more seasoned decision making. If we won't see NBA players, I have little doubt Tubelis might stick around in the camps.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• So with 10 days to go till FIBA windows and prior Maskoliunas decision, who would you call now. Obviously we have twenty two players to choose (JV, Domas, Janavicius out) from this list: http://www.fiba.basketball/eurobaske...ket-qualifiers

My take would be this:

Kalnietis, Velicka
                    D.Giedraitis, Dimsa, Beliauskas
                    Kuzminskas, Butkevicius
                    Bendzius, Masiulis, Kulboka
                    Echodas, Birutis

Position 1 is obvious, 2 by far best PGs. Kariniauskas could be in preliminary list, but it's much more interesting to give a shot for upcoming beast Velicka
                    2 position is also to me clear because Juskevicius didn't even want to come previously and god help us with soft as tissue Valinskas with his streetball
                    3 I wished to add Sirvydis here, but Kuzminskas and Butkevicius are better at his point. BTW, Sirvucha isn't doing that bad as it seems from CL stats, moves the ball like a stud, playing high IQ unselfish BB in the team which is playing streetball almost literally. Kattash is keeping him under short leash, but I don't have any concerns about Sirvydis. He's either good or elite eventually, injuries aside.
                    4. There's also Maciulis, but do we need to ride the veteran for such second rate event? IMO, we can give Masiulis and Kulboka a run and Bendzius looks good in Italy.
                    5. Two best centers by far and compliments each other nicely. Interesting that Blazevic is on the list. Some sort of indication, LOL?

If Kalnietis wouldn't come, unleash Marciulionis Don't waste our time with super mediocre Vasiliauskas. Velicka can handle even thirty minutes if needed, his physical shape and level overall will surprise people if he will come.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Blazevic is there, cause he is the only Zalgiris Lith player who can be allowed to play by the club, the same case like Jokubaitis in previous window. Meanwhile Juskevicius didn't come for personal reasons, but he didn't give up on NT yet, even tho I don't see a big reason to invite him. He won't be a difference maker nor in Olympic qualies, nor in Olympics if we'll make it. While I'm sure in this window we can beat at least Denmark, especially without Shields, even with younger guys. Other than that, again it's important for players to adjust to whatever Maskoliunas is preparing in the future. So Kalnietis, Kuzminskas must feature, especially former as PG. The rest... I don't really care much

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                        Blazevic is there, cause he is the only Zalgiris Lith player who can be allowed to play by the club, the same case like Jokubaitis in previous window. Meanwhile Juskevicius didn't come for personal reasons, but he didn't give up on NT yet, even tho I don't see a big reason to invite him. He won't be a difference maker nor in Olympic qualies, nor in Olympics if we'll make it. While I'm sure in this window we can beat at least Denmark, especially without Shields, even with younger guys. Other than that, again it's important for players to adjust to whatever Maskoliunas is preparing in the future. So Kalnietis, Kuzminskas must feature, especially former as PG. The rest... I don't really care much
                        Yeah, no big deal, but if to be really annoying then Jokubaitis was a bit different story, PG position was very thin and Jokubaitis was obviously one of leading PGs in the country already, while Blazevic is not in his shoes at C, here we have JV, Sabonis, Birutis, Echodas, Kairys on the list. I mean, I wouldn't like if Blazevic would snatch 12th men position (pushing out some guard youngster) just because he's playing in Zalgiris and the head coach is Maskoliunas, even if it's only windows.

I see what you mean saying that you don't care much, but if we will be without NBA players, than we are pretty much looking at our frontline here, Gudaitis aside (and maybe Sedekerskis)

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                          Yeah, no big deal, but if to be really annoying then Jokubaitis was a bit different story, PG position was very thin and Jokubaitis was obviously one of leading PGs in the country already, while Blazevic is not in his shoes at C, here we have JV, Sabonis, Birutis, Echodas, Kairys on the list. I mean, I wouldn't like if Blazevic would snatch 12th men position (pushing out some guard youngster) just because he's playing in Zalgiris and the head coach is Maskoliunas, even if it's only windows.
                          I don't think Maskoliunas will pick some player just cause he is from Zalgiris, there's no connection anymore, but anyway I don't see a reason to pick Blazevic what so ever. There are more worthy guys out there. Being selected in such list is good recognition for a talented guy, maybe some more motivation to work, but it should end here for this window. Marek is not in shape, barely plays. I'd really love to see Birutis with NT shirt after his big performances in ACB, didn't watch any of his game there this season yet

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                          I see what you mean saying that you don't care much, but if we will be without NBA players, than we are pretty much looking at our frontline here, Gudaitis aside (and maybe Sedekerskis)
                          As much as I understood NBA regular season should be over in May, so I expect JV to be with NT. Guys who are much more into NBA than me, told me that West Conf is very strong and Grizzlies chances are very slim to make it to PO. So I'm counting on JV and Gudaitis as his back-up, latter shows some signs of life lately

Comment

• Birutis and Butkevicius out due to injury. Likely a chance for Sirvydis and Blazevic.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Sedekerskis with the best game thus far in ACB. I've seen couple of games and I have to say he's utilizing his minutes nicely. Always great D, solid, flexible team offense, never forces anything and looking for cheap points (such players are perfect to have around ball dominant players). The problem is that Dusko is keeping him too much on the bench, now he get sixteen minutes, but sometimes he get only few. Sedekerskis needs MORE PLAYING TIME and with that he would settle his offensive identity as well (should be a bit more active and aggressive). Personally, I think we probably have to take Sedekerskis to real NT this season because of his defensive versatility and athletic profile. Looking 4 years ahead, I think we might have a chance to see the dominant and super universal defensive frontline duo with Sedekerskis at 4 and Tubelis at 5.

R. Giedraitis landed on earth lately. Doesn't fill stats sheets. Again, biggest gamble and enigma for 2021 NT campaign.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiba.Basketball
                                Marek Blazevic. Blazevic did play for the national team in a friendly tournament this past summer.
                                What was this friendly tournament?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information