Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 244

Thread: 2020 Lithuanian NT: in a chase of Olympic dream

  1. #141
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    JV ast per 36 mn

  2. #142

    Default

    In other words, his assists rates in NT didn't change basically. In NBA there's some progress, yet still worse than Sabonis.

    Why people in Lithunia (not necessary I have Ludux in mind here) have so hard time to take JV as it is? I mean, are you trying to make an agile, mobile, highly skilled, high IQ big out of him? Hard effort to deconstruct reality? Just let JV be who he is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  3. #143

    Default

    Oh, BTW, about assistants. Masiulis and Matkevicius. Well, another time there's no head coach material among them, but I'm OK with those guys. Would liked to see some Kairys in though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  4. #144
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    1. Doubles from 0.8 to 1.6
    2. ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    In other words, his assists rates in NT didn't change basically

  5. #145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    1. Doubles from 0.8 to 1.6
    2. ???
    1.3 in 2017, 1.6 in 2019. 0.3 improvement. But it's not the point. The point is that there was no FIBA tournament for JV where he averaged more than 1 assist. Not even in Youth level. So at this point he is always staying in the same spot and only micro changes appear. JV in contemporary basketball always was and will be a ball stopper (game is that fast and that skilled), his decision making is too slow not to be. Lastly, in JV's case PER 36 stat is meaningless because he will never play than much. He's too big, too slow for such minutes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  6. #146
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,046
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    If we dont have a single true pf and putting there centers and SF because of need, not because they fit there yeah this is weak spot.

    I better choose one true euroleague level player in position instead of 3 that neither of them plays well there.

    In playoofs only 8 players play so you need only 1,5 player per position.Grigonis + Giedraitis ( milaknis maskoliunas choise?) is way better fit what we have in pf position no brainer.



    Forget that sedekerskis kid maybe he will make team once or two next decade as 10-12 bench player.He is weak, no character just nice body that's it.He disappoints in Neptunas

    I repeat Maskoliunas he can say manny things play zalgiris system.Yeah but I don't see Davis, Leday types bigs that can change everything in defence like Sharas likes.

    You play with who you have at that moment, not style you would like .

    With 4 centers in a team that is unlikely to be cutted it's impossible not to play two bigs at once.

    Kalnietis,Grigonis, Kuzminskas,Sabonis,Valanciunas that's our best players by position and they should start.

    Lukas is not starting Pg,its was proven manny times he feels best comming from bench as energy when other players are not fresh anymore.He can use his speed well.

    Only finishing games better with one big that plays best that day.That what we learned from 2019 champ.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 11-12-2019 at 04:38 PM.

  7. #147
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    37
    Country: Kuwait

    Default

    zalgiris plays with 2pgs on the floor, so will this nt. kalnieitis is getting older, it means that jokubaitis got to be on the team unless they are going to pick janavicius or someone like him just because he is older and ''more experienced'' what is a total bs. jokubaitis can even play some sg, something we lack a lot.
    pg: kalnietis, lekavicius
    pg/sg: jokubaitis
    sg: grigonis, could be like 4 different players (most likely giedraitis, i hope maskoliunas wont invite seibutis just because they both worked in the same team.)

  8. #148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    I better choose one true euroleague level player in position instead of 3 that neither of them plays well there.

    In playoofs only 8 players play do you need only 1,5 player per position.Grigonis + Giedraitis ( milaknis maskoliunas choise) is way better fit what we have in pf position no brainer.
    Giedraitis is not a good fit at 2. It wouldn't be not less forced thing to play Giedraitis at 2 than to play Kuz or Sabonis at 4. There's butt naked Grigonis at 2, than pure deserts with some aid from youngsters. There's no only playoffs in the tournament you know Do you have a ticket to PLAYOFFS (not playoofs) already? You're saying that a fringe NBA all star 4/5 Sabonis, struggling, but NBA borderliner Kuzminskas + Masiulis/Jankunas are less than Grigonis+ Giedraitis? I disagree, but I get your point. To me, Sabonis wasn't all that crappy even at 4 and I think he generally struggled a little bit, we will see more fluid performances even at 4 in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Forget that sedekerskis kid maybe he will make team once or two next decade as 10-12 bench player.He is weak, no character just nice body that's it.He disappoints in Neptunas
    I hardly can disagree. But I still leave him some time. Maybe he will improve slowly and gradually, becoming important and consistent peace for the NT in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    I repeat Maskoliunas he can say manny things play zalgiris system.Yeah but I don't see Davis, Leday types bigs that can change everything in defence like Sharas likes.

    You play with who you have at that moment, not style you would like .

    With 4 centers in a team that is unlikely to be cutted it's impossible not to play two bigs at once.

    Kalnietis,Grigonis, Kuzminskas,Sabonis,Valanciunas that's our best players by position and they should start.

    Only finishing games with one big that plays best that day.
    Leday is not even a good defender, that's first. He's a bit streaky, but good offensive player, but not defender. Sabonis has bigger upside defensively, not even talking offensively, it's not even close. He would set the EL on fire with his mobility and sheer power. So when you have such big as Sabonis, one of the best modern bigs in the universe at the moment, you don't whine how Zalgiris has Leday, LOL It's the Hayes type which we lack at 4 and I have some hopes Sedekerskis can develop into something like him with time. He's a good defender, and he is quick, mobile, flexible, can score a bit, but not much. So that's one issue to develop Zalgiris system. No light 4 as a good defender and all around player, if there was prime Maciulis that would be handy. But Ulanovas card is still pretty usable here. Another thing, we lack guys who can create and put the ball on the floor. Saras loves big guards who can create and play universal D at the same time. He expected Perez to be such, but it was a failure. So, yeah, universal, light 4 and big universal guard might be a missing peaces, but than again we can expect some additions at this point.

    What it has to do with finishing games with one big? It was a PG and JV who was involved in those fatal situations. Other big had nothing to do with that. JV can't finish games. Simply can't. I don't understand how can you still think we can leave our p'n'r defence butt naked after the games against Australia and France. With JV finishing we are having a butt naked target to blow in the crunch.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 11-12-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  9. #149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zalias View Post
    zalgiris plays with 2pgs on the floor, so will this nt. kalnieitis is getting older, it means that jokubaitis got to be on the team unless they are going to pick janavicius or someone like him just because he is older and ''more experienced'' what is a total bs. jokubaitis can even play some sg, something we lack a lot.
    pg: kalnietis, lekavicius
    pg/sg: jokubaitis
    sg: grigonis, could be like 4 different players (most likely giedraitis, i hope maskoliunas wont invite seibutis just because they both worked in the same team.)
    Agreed. Jokubaitis still a bit shaky here and there, but he's basically ready to provide around 10 decent minutes both EL and NT. We should go for it unless some better options would prevail which is unlikely, because both Lekavicius and specially Jokubaitis (because of bigger size) can be thrown at 2 as well. I don't really care about whenever R.Giedraitis would make the team (I would push him more to SF anyway) because under Maskoliunas we will see strict Zalgiris system and Giedraitis is pretty much lost under such circumstances.

    Pretty much would lean towards this backourt too - Lekavicius, Kalnietis, Grigonis, Jokubaitis + someone

    That someone probably could be one of Milaknis, Juskevicius, Giedraitis, Sirvydis. All sort of a spot up shooters. Obviously Milaknis knows the system so he kinda most obvious choice if he still wants to at this age. However, I would lean towards Sirvydis if he will show consistent striking in the second half of the system. Simply because the guy is better defender, better passer and more all around skilled, at the same time having that potential to be elite spot up shooter. But he's a bit too shaky now. Giedraitis didn't convince he can live up with strict spot up shooter role, so is Juskevicius. So it's close, and I kinda hope that this pure spot up shooter role will be lesser than in Zalgiris system. That's the least tasty part of Zalgiris' system in my book.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  10. #150
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,535
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    I'm really glad with this choice of Maskoliunas. IMO the best we could get under current circumstances

    Domas + JV on court... well, a lot will depend on rivals of course, but the way Domas started this season... the picture is starting to look like we simply would waste his talents at PF, he is too dominant as a C, clearly better than JV at both ends of the floor, so if anyone should sacrifice his minutes at C position, now it's surely not Domas. Just play your best player at position he feels the most comfortable in and can do the most damage to rival. That should be the key IMO, only then we should think about PF. I would prefer to put Kuz, Ulia to not their best position, but keep Domas in his


  11. #151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mindozas View Post

    domas + jv on court... Well, a lot will depend on rivals of course, but the way domas started this season... The picture is starting to look like we simply would waste his talents at pf, he is too dominant as a c, clearly better than jv at both ends of the floor, so if anyone should sacrifice his minutes at c position, now it's surely not domas. Just play your best player at position he feels the most comfortable in and can do the most damage to rival. That should be the key imo, only then we should think about pf. I would prefer to put kuz, ulia to not their best position, but keep domas in his
    bingo!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  12. #152
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    37
    Country: Kuwait

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I would lean towards Sirvydis if he will show consistent striking in the second half of the system. Simply because the guy is better defender, better passer and more all around skilled, at the same time having that potential to be elite spot up shooter. But he's a bit too shaky now. Giedraitis didn't convince he can live up with strict spot up shooter role, so is Juskevicius. So it's close, and I kinda hope that this pure spot up shooter role will be lesser than in Zalgiris system. That's the least tasty part of Zalgiris' system in my book.
    got to disagree on this one. sirvyids got picked in the nba draft just because he might be something in the future, but he started to think like he is already. imagine taking him into to nt for the same reason. having 2 very young players on the team is not happening. you got to decide between jokubaitis and sirvydis and i think its obvious.

  13. #153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zalias View Post
    got to disagree on this one. sirvyids got picked in the nba draft just because he might be something in the future, but he started to think like he is already. imagine taking him into to nt for the same reason. having 2 very young players on the team is not happening. you got to decide between jokubaitis and sirvydis and i think its obvious.

    You right on this. Even liberal coach likely won't take 2 kids into the backourt unless it's some no brainer Doncic level prospects. It's more like my wishful thinking (because I'm not a fan of other current options in Seibutis, Juskevicius, Milaknis, R. Giedraitis), I don't expect that to happen. But we should surely consider one from Jokubaitis, Sirvydis, D.Giedraitis (we could even mix Velicka here, but we agreed that since there Maskoliunas, Jokubaitis is much better fit). My favourites would be Jokubaitis and D. Giedraitis because as you rightly noticed and we discussed it with Mindozas, Sirvydis is on some celebrity fewer at the moment (but I still sure he has the biggest upside from all these youngsters I mention here).

    My point is this. Juskevicius, Seibutis, Giedraitis, Milaknis are not a studs that would make a difference at the level NT will be performing and do not posses the skills and IQ that I want to see at 2. Thus I'm leaning towards youngsters like Jokubaitis and D. Giedraitis (damn, injury) because they exactly have that (purely skills wise, no ideas how it would transit to NT already). For some minor role, I much rather see those young studs, specially that one of them will inevitably be glued to the bench all tournaments long. Even this spot up shooting card in Milaknis, assuming he will provide it as he does it in best stretches for Zalgiris, isn't really convincing because Milaknis goes up and down all season long in Zalgiris and NT with dynamite in the small packages (short tournaments) can't afford that, IMO. Milaknis can very well jack up some shots giving nothing but that. It's a close call, but I don't expect much from my mentioned veterans thus leaning to truly talented youngsters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  14. #154
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,046
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    I dont agree with ale Domantas is lot better than JV.I didnt see that at all in world cup 2019.I saw Jonas knowing what to do in 4 querter and Domantas was still shaky with his desicions and missing some key baskets.

    France was even putting Batum on him in 4 querter on him and he couldnt take advantage of that.Thats cant happen or we gonna be burned on other side.

    When Jonas was alone with 4 bigs our defence wasnt that bad.Look versus Australia 4 querter.

    But ok let say Domantas starts as C,Valanciunas is backup center.

    What we gonna do with other 2 centers Gudaitis and Dmo (Jankunas)?

    Kuze and Ulanovas can play only very limited minutes in PF.Or they gonna get beat badly there.

    If we are not putting Sabonis at PF.There is nobody to put here for long streaches. Zalgiris puts tough nose athletic 2m03 big for long streaches in pf,nt dont have such.

    Valanciunas,Sabonis,Gudaitis,DMo,Jankunas they are all center types today, Domantas being by far the fastest one from those 5.

    Kuzminskas,Ulanovas,Maciulis all under sized PF with natural position being Sf.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 11-12-2019 at 06:41 PM.

  15. #155

    Default

    Sabonis was shaky, but he also played off his position. JV was playing in his position and well knew the system. We should put our best player in his comfort zone and to utilize him, period.

    We don't need a guy who would play PF for long stretches. Kuz, Masiulis, Ulanovas, Sabonis. Those would be the guys who would eat minutes at 4. Only Kuzminskas playing more than 10 minutes from those, IMO. Masiulis is not sissy any more, he stands pretty solidly at D, will get a good role in windows likely, will be ready to throw his rather nominal PF body out there against bigger power forwards.

    Also, god knows what will be the decision regarding Jankunas and Maciulis. I would strongly lean towards saying thanks to them already, but we don't know what Maskoliunas thinks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  16. #156
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,535
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    I think with Maskoliunas aboard, Milas might be really close to his return to NT. Depends on his shape in May/June a lot tho. Also I wouldn't mark him as some SG or SF, even tho he is latter now, but with strict sharp shooter role as a bonus to the roster. If anyone knows now who to use Milaknis properly then it's Maskoliunas for sure. In short tournament like OQT, with minimum preparation, with high pressure, we will need some good short stretches and Milaknis can give some extra boost


  17. #157

    Default

    Kalnietis in. He talked kinda mysteriously regarding Adomaitis coaching. You could look at it one way as he wasn't satisfied, kinda waiting to see if anything better will be hired, or he simply meant that since Adomaitis retired he wasn't sure if strong coach will be hired. Anyway, Kalnietis is in, he's still important peace. First + for Maskoliunas, he attracted important veteran.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  18. #158
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,148
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    I think with Maskoliunas aboard, Milas might be really close to his return to NT. Depends on his shape in May/June a lot tho. Also I wouldn't mark him as some SG or SF, even tho he is latter now, but with strict sharp shooter role as a bonus to the roster. If anyone knows now who to use Milaknis properly then it's Maskoliunas for sure. In short tournament like OQT, with minimum preparation, with high pressure, we will need some good short stretches and Milaknis can give some extra boost
    Only if Artūras Milaknis truly merits inclusion on the team on the basis of his play. I really hope that Darius Maskoliūnas doesn't show any unconscious or otherwise favouritism to Žalgiris players.



    Incidentally I see that Adas Juškevičius just lit up the scoreboard with a career day for Parma in the VTB League.


  19. #159
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    37
    Country: Kuwait

    Default

    Milaknis isnt a shooting guard, he is just too slow, defensively at least. id consider milaknis in if maciulis is out and i really doubt brazdeikis chances to play this summer

  20. #160
    Senior Member madmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,369

    Default

    LMAO at all the Milaknis praise and comments about him - dude is as slow as molasses in a most dynamic position in basketball and he wouldn't be able to guard anybody at NT level. Let's get real here for a minute - we need athletic modern players at 2 position and only Giedraitis and Sirvydis fit this requirement out of our wing players

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •