Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
    What was this friendly tournament?

Baltic Cup in Tallinn with LT, Latvia and Estonia as participants, even tho all teams had major missings

Comment

• Okay.

That's what worries me about next week's qualifiers though. Without all its top stars Lithuania has now lost two of its last four games against very beatable opponents including that monumental 86-65 drubbing in February in Belgium.

Comment

That's what worries me about next week's qualifiers though. Without all its top stars Lithuania has now lost two of its last four games against very beatable opponents including that monumental 86-65 drubbing in February in Belgium.
        Might be some problems again. FOA, Maskoliunas thus far failed to prove he can motivate and optimise NT, and to prove he's worth anything as a head coach (I still find it crazy that we are jumping to OG with Maskoliunas, it summarizes our current situation with coaching perfectly, federation couldn't even hire real head coach for the most important tournament of the circle). Second, now we have a lot of losses from preliminary list. Birutis, Butkevicius, Masiulis are all injured, Sirvydis (goes to USA). Our center position looks thin with only Echodas as a real deal center. PF position looks very fragile with a bit underperforming Kulboka, very bleak Jonas Maciulis, so probably Bendzius as our best option at the moment. There's Kuzminskas at SF position and that's pretty much it. The good news is that SG position looks deeper than usual, with all ACB options in Dimsa, Beliauskas, D. Giedraitis and PG section is far from shabby for such event with Kalnietis and Velicka. Still should be enough to beat Belgium and Denmark, but knowing recent Maskoliunas records it might get ugly again, unless promising backcourt will really mess around. Interesting how Maskoliunas will try to cover some spots.

Now it's something like:

Kalnietis, Velicka
        Dimsa, Beliauskas, D. Giedraitis
        Kuzminskas, Gailius
        Bendzius, Kulboka, Maciulis
        Echodas, Blazevic

So, so. With Adomaitis it would be 2 rather easy wins, players hustled for him somehow, with Maskoliunas...only god knows.
        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
        Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
          Might be some problems again. FOA, Maskoliunas thus far failed to prove he can motivate and optimise NT, and to prove he's worth anything as a head coach (I still find it crazy that we are jumping to OG with Maskoliunas, it summarizes our current situation with coaching perfectly, federation couldn't even hire real head coach for the most important tournament of the circle).
          But who else now should/could the Federation hire?

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
          Second, now we have a lot of losses from preliminary list. Birutis, Butkevicius, Masiulis are all injured, Sirvydis (goes to USA). Our center position looks thin with only Echodas as a real deal center. PF position looks very fragile with a bit underperforming Kulboka, very bleak Jonas Maciulis, so probably Bendzius as our best option at the moment. There's Kuzminskas at SF position and that's pretty much it. The good news is that SG position looks deeper than usual, with all ACB options in Dimsa, Beliauskas, D. Giedraitis and PG section is far from shabby for such event with Kalnietis and Velicka. Still should be enough to beat Belgium and Denmark, but knowing recent Maskoliunas records it might get ugly again, unless promising backcourt will really mess around. Interesting how Maskoliunas will try to cover some spots.

Now it's something like:

Kalnietis, Velicka
          Dimsa, Beliauskas, D. Giedraitis
          Kuzminskas, Gailius
          Bendzius, Kulboka, Maciulis
          Echodas, Blazevic
          Yes, while a year ago I would have been confident such a lineup would be adequate for the job, now I find it worrisome. I only see two of those players on Team Lietuva in June. Well Eimantas Bendžius might make the team since all the other bigs are really straightforward centers and perhaps either Arnas Velička, Laurynas Beliauskas or Tomas Dimša as a fifth guard.

Comment

But who else now should/could the Federation hire?
            Maybe, I'm asking too much, but in my book good federation would have B plan. They were just chilling. They never even considered that Adomaitis would resign after too failures in 2017, 2019, obviously. They had to talk with Maskvytis, Kemzura, Kurtinaitis and who ever were below Adomaitis at the time, and to talk about possibility to take the job if there's force majeure. I'm pretty sure if those talks would had taken place, Maskvytis never would have locked himself in Russia without NT option, in his latest interview the guy seemed very upset missing this opportunity, he badly wanted it. But it's not Sabas and Co. style, they wouldn't talk nobody if they could

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
            Yes, while a year ago I would have been confident such a lineup would be adequate for the job, now I find it worrisome. I only see two of those players on Team Lietuva in June. Well Eimantas Bendžius might make the team since all the other bigs are really straightforward centers and perhaps either Arnas Velička, Laurynas Beliauskas or Tomas Dimša as a fifth guard.
            Kalnas and Kuzia locks and then...god knows. Might be anyone at 4 because this position is pretty naked ATM other than Sabonis. Guards section at this moment is, IMO, pretty obvious in Kalnas, Lukas, Rokas, Marius, R.Giedraitis. I would rank Velicka as the best sixth guard in Lithuania at the moment.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Maybe, I'm asking too much, but in my book good federation would have B plan. They were just chilling. They never even considered that Adomaitis would resign after too failures in 2017, 2019, obviously. They had to talk with Maskvytis, Kemzura, Kurtinaitis and who ever were below Adomaitis at the time, and to talk about possibility to take the job if there's force majeure. I'm pretty sure if those talks would had taken place, Maskvytis never would have locked himself in Russia without NT option, in his latest interview the guy seemed very upset missing this opportunity, he badly wanted it. But it's not Sabas and Co. style, they wouldn't talk nobody if they could
              It might be that your general dislike for federation all these years just blocks your memory Otherwise I don't understand how could you forget such simple things that Kurtinaitis and Kemzura were EL coaches back then and didn't plan to join NT, moreover players were against Kurtis, then Maksvytis overall signed a deal with Perm in spring, some 4 months before World Cup and some 6 months before Maskoliunas was signed. How can you imagine a situation when Sabas silently reaches out to Maksvytis before that and says - Kazys, don't sign a deal, in September we might need you as Adomaitis might fail Let's not be ridiculous, there was no way to sign Maksvytis, unless club would've let him go. They didn't, nor federation succeeded, nor Zalgiris later, period. You can only blame Kazys and his agent for signing such deal without any clauses. But probably money talked, Perm wanted guarantees for that and got it. Lastly, there were absolutely no hints that Adomaitis will leave, we did good in qualies, he had deal till Olympic cycle end and overall had absolute back up from federation. Adomaitis leaving was big surprise, since overall game was not that bad, one wrong ref decision could've turn it into completely different direction, and he left in very bad moment with Olympics being just around the corner and no options available, that's it. Probably emotions took over. Similar to Kazlauskas resigning in 2001. Afterall, don't forget that we were so desperate, including you, SF, that you offered to sign Sireika and we even discussed such option

Comment

Jumping to the right space for our recent conversation in "Euroleague" thread, I think the dark horse as possible serious candidate to make NT at the backcourt (wing) is Ignas Brazdeikis.
                What's the current status of Brazdeikis' citizenship question?

Last edited by Hepcat; 11-17-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                  Adomaitis leaving was big surprise, since overall game was not that bad, one wrong ref decision could've turn it into completely different direction....
                  Not only was the 2019 team under Coach Adomaitis competitive with the very best at the WC, but over the previous two years I got the impression that he could assemble a dominant team for the various qualifiers just by scouring the various playgrounds in Lithuania on any given day.

Comment

• My point is that it's normal to have a B plan and to work on it. Like the clubs are scouting many options, not one, looking to possible additions during the season and so on. When election took place, Kurtinaitis was very much so in it, coaches association presented him as candidate (Kurtinaitis wanted this position). He got three votes from federation members, Adomaitis got 10 (out if 14). Maksvytis was also into that, he already had some ambitions to make it, but there was zero votes for him at this point. My idea is that after election it would be normal to reach with best candidates and say "hey, have in mind the position is not sacred, things changes, now we're going with other guy, but we might need you help, assistance under some circumstances, consider having NT option in your next contract". That not only wouldn't be a criminal, but very flexible and circumspect move by federation. At that time Kurtinaitis worked in Italy, Kantu „Red October“, while Maksvytis was "Liekabelis" coach. Jasikevicius and Kemzura also were among names that were considered, but Jasikevicius said now and everyone knew his position, while Kemzura probably simply worked with the NT too recent to have more chances (in 2012 he's still a head coach and these elections took place in 2016) or to want this job. I mean, can we justify federation for being completely lost and without any ideas what to do only because they didn't expect that Adomaitis would quite? Federation was so lost and helpless that they hired assistant coach, literally the guy who is no one as a head coach, ever worse, there's no even idea who he is as a head coach. I always thought federation works too abstract. Work towards long term goals very precisely. If you have best young coaches, keep them close, have a dialogue with them. If you scouted you talent pool precisely and you know your young gems, reach them, have them in the camp, give them some credit in quallies and so on. IMO, it's nearly a crime that Velicka and D.Giedraitis didn't receive any attention when tournament less, youngster based camp took place this summer. It means federation and coaching staff are still clueless and doesn't give a f...about our best gems. Federation is there not only to make things working for 2021, federation is to do the job that shit would work after four years as well too.

At this point we surely don't know who is better Sireika or Maskoliunas...it's the same trash category, IMO, since Sireika got ridiculously old and he's losing his mind probably, while Maskoliunas looked clueless and helpless thus far.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

What's the current status of Brazdeikis' citizenship question?

No idea. It takes too much time.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• if we can't even beat footballing nations Denmark and Belgium at home with any kind of coach and LKL level players, then maybe our pipe dream of being a true basketball nation is turning into a true nightmare lol... I can't even name a single player from either of those countries and that says a lot about their pedigree in basketball pantheon - well, maybe only Belgium produced some Euroleague level players in the past like Hervelle, but I highly doubt any such player of this level will be on their roster this time around. So I suggest to suck it up, get the job done at home and then wait for the next summer when the real battles of basketball giants will begin

Comment

• Well said Max.

Anyway Brazdeikis situation is taking way to loong. In spring they mentioned covid as reason for not coming over to deliver some documents. ANyway if he badly wanted to , he had a chance to come over in summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svajunas View Post
                            Well said Max.

Anyway Brazdeikis situation is taking way to loong. In spring they mentioned covid as reason for not coming over to deliver some documents. ANyway if he badly wanted to , he had a chance to come over in summer.
                            I don't even think we need him to begin with...
                            R. Giedraitis and Grigonis are better than him anyway and they are proven players in FIBA already, while Brazdeikis is still a cat in a bag to majority of us. That's not the position we should be worrying about, as we have more urgent matters on our hands regarding the PF and obviously the most important position in basketball the PG position - I'm still not convinced by Jokubaitis progress and Lekavicius is who he is, which is an energy guy off the bench to provide some scoring burst for the second unit...

Comment

• Unbelievable, Maskoliunas strikes again. I mean...DUDE! This is almost beyond pathetic. He can't choose players, I'm already convinced. Three lists in first window, NT camp, second window and he all blew it.

PG. Now how in the god's fucking name washed out, soft, bleak mediocrity in Vasiliauskas is even needed while you inviting veteran Kalnietis already? What are you even talking about? I mean Kariniauskas is already better player than Vasiliauskas and I'm not even talking about Velicka! Gotta be fucking kidding me I mean, Velicka is among the most shinning Liths OVERALL this season. Any recognition? GTFA, "I'm following LKL closely". Now, how exactly Vasiliauskas is a good fit against athletic, ISO based Belgium NT which is playing in the style of France LNB league teams (some Belgium players playing there)? He' clueless...

SG. Maskoliunas went to Spain, but he's blind even in his own yard, incredible From three ACB feasting SGs who are all already superior than Valinskas, tank commanders to make Maskoliunas look absolutely miserable in first windows (Valinskas simply sucked), he leaves aside Beliauskas and absolute NT future gem D. Giedraitis. It's beyond criticism. Valinskas with his 4 TOs in Eurocup, soft D, and unpredictable streetball in offence gonna rock. Way to go bruh, with you I can see NT growing as baking pie! He must be in love with our backcourt sucking and probably likes to get his ass whooped, seriously. Again, softy Valinskas against tough, atheltic Berglium guards and wings? No, we don't need Beliauskas and Giedraitis D and physicality, not a tiny bit...LOL.

The only thing he's done, he watched young Marciulionis playing. WOW! I'm FUCKING STUNNED. Seriously, it's beyond Maskoliunas lazy ass capabilities. Like in Ceponis podcast, 2 months of quarantine. V.C. "What do you think about Kulboka?". D.M."Good idea, I will watch him play". LOL, what the f...you have been doing for 2 free months, may you be so kind to follow freakin' NT material Mr. NT head coach?

Anyway, Maskoliunas is clueless and he's not NT head coach. We're going nowhere with the fellow. Mediocre, non personality, non BB eye test guy, the fellow dude not a coach for players. The biggest issue, the guy has no clue about NT material, can't smell it, can't feel it, HE DOESN'T HAVE it. F.e. Saras does, Maskoliunas does not.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

My point is that it's normal to have a B plan and to work on it. Like the clubs are scouting many options, not one, looking to possible additions during the season and so on. When election took place, Kurtinaitis was very much so in it, coaches association presented him as candidate (Kurtinaitis wanted this position). He got three votes from federation members, Adomaitis got 10 (out if 14). Maksvytis was also into that, he already had some ambitions to make it, but there was zero votes for him at this point. My idea is that after election it would be normal to reach with best candidates and say "hey, have in mind the position is not sacred, things changes, now we're going with other guy, but we might need you help, assistance under some circumstances, consider having NT option in your next contract". That not only wouldn't be a criminal, but very flexible and circumspect move by federation. At that time Kurtinaitis worked in Italy, Kantu „Red October“, while Maksvytis was "Liekabelis" coach. Jasikevicius and Kemzura also were among names that were considered, but Jasikevicius said now and everyone knew his position, while Kemzura probably simply worked with the NT too recent to have more chances (in 2012 he's still a head coach and these elections took place in 2016) or to want this job.
                                Wait, wait, what you are writing here about? These elections you wrote about were in 2016, what it has to do with Maskoliunas? while when Maskoliunas was chosen in 2019 that coaches association presented Sireika as their candidate and it was between the two. Kurtinaitis didn't want to go, Kemzura didn't, Maksvytis couldn't. You say federation was chilling and so on, that's absolutely not true, they were reaching out to every candidate possible, had a list starting with Jasikevicius, but none was available. You can't have plan B this way, how can you imagine it? The situation you trying to picture is just unimaginable, you sign a coach and you ask other candidates to be ready? I mean after you showed full confidence in your candidate, you do that behind his back? So why on earth you even picked him then? Lithuania is small, rumours will spread around quickly. Moreover, none coach will wait till the end of September, when season is about to start, to see if his colleague in NT won't succeed, will get pissed off and surprisingly will resign. And you are basically asking them to wait for that since 2016 till 2020 by signing every new deal. That's just unrealistic. Clubs also will put every clause of precaution in such situation and hardly will grant you a clause to leave under such circumstances. Simply cause they would be in the same shitty situation then. It was simply very wrong time. In bball circles basically everyone was sure that Adomaitis will continue at least till Olympics no matter what happens, but probably even he had too much after being constantly under the fire in Rytas, then NT and being the most hated coach in NT history.

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                                I mean, can we justify federation for being completely lost and without any ideas what to do only because they didn't expect that Adomaitis would quite? Federation was so lost and helpless that they hired assistant coach, literally the guy who is no one as a head coach, ever worse, there's no even idea who he is as a head coach. I always thought federation works too abstract. Work towards long term goals very precisely. If you have best young coaches, keep them close, have a dialogue with them. If you scouted you talent pool precisely and you know your young gems, reach them, have them in the camp, give them some credit in quallies and so on. IMO, it's nearly a crime that Velicka and D.Giedraitis didn't receive any attention when tournament less, youngster based camp took place this summer. It means federation and coaching staff are still clueless and doesn't give a f...about our best gems. Federation is there not only to make things working for 2021, federation is to do the job that shit would work after four years as well too.

At this point we surely don't know who is better Sireika or Maskoliunas...it's the same trash category, IMO, since Sireika got ridiculously old and he's losing his mind probably, while Maskoliunas looked clueless and helpless thus far.
                                Federation surely made mistakes in their reign, but this time you must be blind to blame them for smth. So sorry to say this, but it seems your idea is to critisize just for the sake of it Maskoliunas didn't invite some youngsters you adore - he sucks, federation sucks too cause they've picked him. That's how it looks like While you can't simply put any name who would've been really worthy the position, would be available and would want it. I mean realistic one. You can't, cause there's none, I couldn't name it either, that's a fact federation faced too. You can't prepare for that and for everything in this life. Putting Sireika into discussion just proves it, he just shouldn't be into such conversations at all, he was a mistake signing in 2001, he would be a catastrophe now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information