No announcement yet.

2020 Lithuanian NT: in a chase of Olympic dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basketnews asked 67 basketball people including 15players and lkl coaches to name top 10 current ltu players :

1.D.Sabonis 1315
    2.J.Valanciunas 1030
    3.M.Grigonis 652
    4.E.Ulanovas 548
    5.R.Giedraitis 337
    6.M.Kuzminskas 309
    7.A.Gudaitis 296
    8.L.Lekavicius 271
    9.M.Kalnietis 235
    10.D.Motiejunas 194

11.A.Butkevicius 59
    12.J.Maciulis 59
    13.P.Jankunas 50
    14.E.Bendzius 28
    15.A.Juskevicius 11

top 10 players was the same players like krepsinis.net voting with slightly diffrent order.Its safe to say those are top 10 players today,data number is more than enough.We all also can see even in this voting that 11th place got way less votes than 10 place got.So its easy to assume that gap between top 10 and rest is kinda huge in most basketball people eyes.

from top 13 even 11 played in 2019 World cup.

For me from top 10 all are close to be locks for olympic summer and Maskoliunas have to choose one between Dmo and Gudaitis so its 9 players in more less in most basketball people eyes.

And rest 3 is up in the air depending on seasons they will have.Maybe somebody will have like Giedraitis breakthrough season in 2020/2021.

Till qualification tournament left 1 year and 2 weeks.How much things can change in such short period of time we will see.But usually it doesnt change alot,judging by history who would win olympic ticket like 9 of 12 same players plays one year later in Olympics too.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 06-12-2020, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• The more I follow basketball globally the more I'm concerned with our basketball community, specially coaches. OK, understand that some players have no clue, that's normal. Some just are low IQ players and persons. But coaches can't be low IQ BB persons. Three coaches out of 15, ranked D-Mo as third best player today. I mean...that's literally the guys "out of the cave" judgment. Only 5 coaches didn't see him among top 10, that means they have a clue what's going on and probably seen D-Mo not only in NT windows, but snatched some China league games. We are at horrific level regard judgment of players level, position, skills, comparison between the league as BB community. The only positive thing is that there's part of people who caught that new line of sources that are available now, they get outside Lithuanian circles, they read articles, they watch videos, they learn from wealthy USA basketball tradition. And off course Saras changed a lot, he changed perspective how to look at the basketball and brought that completely different level culture. Now some of our coaches are simply living in the cave...Who's the best players in the country? "Errrrmmmm, Valančiūnas, Sabonis...and...ermmmm how his name...Motiejūnas, duh" And that kind of guys coaching kids, preparing for basketball careers...

Our media is improving. Those guys just got into global basketball area and their knowledge of basketball improved drastically. Coaches are not improving unfortunately. From all journalists Dmo got 7 place as highest and half of them didn't even brought him to top 10.

It's amazing how the guy who sucked in 2017 EB, played outside real PRO league for 4 years or so now, came to the NT windows in 2019 and looked nearly unplayable because he was literally (literally) walking at the D end and looked like semi-professional player at best, still stick to some minds as elite player. When he went to Spurs, there was zero talks about any contract after they saw what he is. Some people say Dmo could snatch a role in EL, I don't believe that. Not with that defence and walking up and down. He was literally the same walking dude against Rockets in the preseason, and that's how he played D in China league as well. He is done as a PRO and he just playing within certain amount of energy not to brake his back for good. I think Dmo made a sheep shot coming to the NT. He thought I will come and play my "reserved, cautious" BB and maybe it will be enough. No it won't. He was ridiculed at D by second rate competitors, so badly that I think we could gather at least 8 centers who would be much more solid than him at D: JV, Domas, Gudaitis, Echodas, Geben, Blazevic, Gustys, Birutis . Birutis was clearly better player than Motiejunas in windows, clearly. But, no, people can't observe what they see because it's stil Motiejunas on the jerseys...It's pathetic.
      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
      Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
        The more I follow basketball globally the more I'm concerned with our basketball community, specially coaches. OK, understand that some players have no clue, that's normal. Some just are low IQ players and persons. But coaches can't be low IQ BB persons. Three coaches out of 15, ranked D-Mo as third best player today. I mean...that's literally the guys "out of the cave" judgment. Only 5 coaches didn't see him among top 10, that means they have a clue what's going on and probably seen D-Mo not only in NT windows, but snatched some China league games. We are at horrific level regard judgment of players level, position, skills, comparison between the league as BB community. The only positive thing is that there's part of people who caught that new line of sources that are available now, they get outside Lithuanian circles, they read articles, they watch videos, they learn from wealthy USA basketball tradition. And off course Saras changed a lot, he changed perspective how to look at the basketball and brought that completely different level culture. Now some of our coaches are simply living in the cave...Who's the best players in the country? "Errrrmmmm, Valančiūnas, Sabonis...and...ermmmm how his name...Motiejūnas, duh" And that kind of guys coaching kids, preparing for basketball careers...

Our media is improving. Those guys just got into global basketball area and their knowledge of basketball improved drastically. Coaches are not improving unfortunately. From all journalists Dmo got 7 place as highest and half of them didn't even brought him to top 10.

It's amazing how the guy who sucked in 2017 EB, played outside real PRO league for 4 years or so now, came to the NT windows in 2019 and looked nearly unplayable because he was literally (literally) walking at the D end and looked like semi-professional player at best, still stick to some minds as elite player. When he went to Spurs, there was zero talks about any contract after they saw what he is. Some people say Dmo could snatch a role in EL, I don't believe that. Not with that defence and walking up and down. He was literally the same walking dude against Rockets in the preseason, and that's how he played D in China league as well. He is done as a PRO and he just playing within certain amount of energy not to brake his back for good. I think Dmo made a sheep shot coming to the NT. He thought I will come and play my "reserved, cautious" BB and maybe it will be enough. No it won't. He was ridiculed at D by second rate competitors, so badly that I think we could gather at least 8 centers who would be much more solid than him at D: JV, Domas, Gudaitis, Echodas, Geben, Blazevic, Gustys, Birutis . Birutis was clearly better player than Motiejunas in windows, clearly. But, no, people can't observe what they see because it's stil Motiejunas on the jerseys...It's pathetic.
        well, not that I'm disagreeing with you here, but D-Mo is still the 3rd best paid lithuanian player after our 2 NBA bigs - some people are actually very short sighted and they still judge players value by his contract size imo

Comment

• 2 things about Mačiulis in three vs three tournament:

A man who by some people actually was treated as realistic candidate to 2020 Olympic Lith NT, went for such travesty...
          He whines about dirty play, while in the replays he's the guy who goes extremely dirty against his opponents

OK, third thing. I always thought Maciulis was a nutcase and I think he actually always was to a certain degree, specially when there's no bigger egos to handle him around. Under Saras or some Real stars, he's as good as it gets. But if he feels he has the authority, he can go nuts and to unleash his inner redneck big time. We saw it many since Kleiza left NT. He became a guy with the biggest ego in the NT and he had tendency to go nuts on his teammates, more often than his opponents I think. He was always ready to go off against those who couldn't back him up properly. Would it be Kalnietis, Lekavicius or others. Never seen him yelling at Jankunas, Kleiza or JV, and those latter 2 used to make tons of crappy decisions and were/has been horrible at D often. Also he always has been self obsessed sloppy mouth. To me, Maciulis will never stand in the same line with some Timinskas or M.Zukauskas, T. Masiulis, because of his personality.

Ukmergėje praūžė trečiasis Lietuvos trijulių čempionato etapas, kuriame triumfavo Šakių „Vyčio-Gulbelės“ ekipa.

PS: I would say there 2 types of leaders. One type like Jasikevicius or Marciulionis, the guys who could say some harsh or stronger word, but never openly goes off against his teammate (at least matured version's of those) and there's such type as Maciulis who can't handle his emotions and lose control. Unfortunately Grigonis has some of the latter stuff in him, but I hope it's more of immaturity hopefully and he will be more of a Saras rather than Maciulis. I think what current NT also lacks is true emotional leader. Kalnietis kinda stepped into this role in 10's and he was truly good captain, but we lack some-one like Marciulionis, Saras. High IQ players with huge swagger and great temperament, but also able to control themselves and to be natural role models. I surely think we lack this kind of a figure and time will tell if we will have one. Grigonis as I mentioned is a little bit too hot and tends to lose control, that's not very good. I personally hope a lot from 2000 generation in Jokubaitis and D.Giedraitis and also surely think Marciulionis will have natural leader's qualities. Those seem to be very matured, solid persons while having the big swagger at the same time. There's a reason why D. Giedraitis the captain of that very talented 2000 generation NT. He's gritty, disciplined, fighter and yet great socially with his teammates. I think Domas Sabonis will surely be one of emotional leaders, but his personality is more introverted and he's not natural role model, not natural communicator and medium in the team. I think we kinda looking for that figure ever since the decline of Kalnietis and this is transition period at the moment. I think Grigonis seem to be stepping into the shoes, probably closest to fill this role at the moment. JV is more of a fighter, rather than role model and communicator as well. He's not the leader per se. I think at the moment we are lacking true leader's figure in the NT. In a way, Seibutis also played very important role in 10's as building the team and providing a gritty role model around. His emotional IQ and social skills were very vital for 10's generation, I can see D. Giedraitis stepping into his shoes one day.
          Last edited by Straight forward; 06-28-2020, 02:29 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• your rants about Maciulis dislike we know well you already cried that he shouted on onother NT players in 2014 world champ.Until Kalnietis is on the team,he will keep Maciulis under control as he always did.

Maciulis simply had better career for clubs and NT wise than Timinskas and M.Zukauskas he already surpased them around 2015 as player.When became euroleague champion and All tournament player in eurobasket2015. Jonas won 4 medals with NT and was starting 5 player on 3 of those teams.Teams with Maciulis wins more than looses like all of his career.We can like or dislike his character,but as Jaska would say 'he is not a loser'.

Those shouting players like A.Sabonis,Jasikevicius,Maciulis,Kleiza never became captains.Because other players wont vote for them.

NT players chooses captains likes M.Zukauskas,R.Javtokas,R.Siskauskas.M.Kalnietis types those calm leaders,than sometimes will say a stronger words,but overall are fair and good human beings.

Our NT lack such players with swagger like those Kaunas street character types ale Jasikevicius/Maciulis/Kleiza that will say to your face directly you like or not,they dont care.That character helped them to be good on cluth moments.They dont care no moments is too big for them.I cant say same about most of our intraverted type NT players.

When its not too many of them every team need atleast one psycho type on a team that is ready to go to old school street fight and opponenets feel that and dont wanna have no part of that
            Last edited by Shawshank; 06-28-2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• I disagree that Jasikevicius was of crazies kind. I think he had that natural authority, he didn't need to yell at others to be highly impactful.

My projection now would be something like that:

Potential true leaders (a la Jasikevicius, and I think the leader should be a guy with the ball in his hands, guard or wing) - Grigonis, Jokubaitis, A. Marciulionis

Potential captains - JV, Sabonis, Sedekerskis, D.Giedraitis

Self obsessed bad asses (IMO, Murauskas has showed some signs of being a crazie ) - Tubelis, Brazdeikis, Sirvydis, Murauskas, Velicka
              Last edited by Straight forward; 06-28-2020, 04:45 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                Those shouting players like A.Sabonis,Jasikevicius,Maciulis,Kleiza never became captains.Because other players wont vote for them.

NT players chooses captains likes M.Zukauskas,R.Javtokas,R.Siskauskas.M.Kalnietis types those calm leaders,than sometimes will say a stronger words,but overall are fair and good human beings.

Quiz: which one from above attacked opponent from behind and almost broke his jaw?
                The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• Originally posted by LuDux View Post
                  Quiz: which one from above attacked opponent from behind and almost broke his jaw?

some naughty boy with a very lithuanian sounding first name Jonas I reckon...

Comment

• Our newest Kaunas street mentality player is obviuos one its Grigonis.Not an accident he is also kinda good in cluth moments.You need to have that i dont give a f*** mentality. Like before had some best kaunas street type players He sometimes will be tough on his teammates,but when game on the line i would give him the ball.

Future captain will be choosen by players will be between these 3: Valanciunas,Sabonis,Ulanovas their calm and good human beings.Kuzminskas is too sissy to be captain.
                    Last edited by Shawshank; 06-28-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuDux View Post
                      is this your remark is to Javtokas ? Javtokas before 2002 and after accident.That was tottaly 2 diffrent persons character wise.That day when he almost lost his life made huge changes in him,he never was that bad ass on motorcycle from Siauliai anymore after 2002 accident.
                      Last edited by Shawshank; 06-28-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• I think he was talking about Sabonis.

Comment

• Seems like Brazdeikis is up not only to 2021 OG itself, but qualification also. Previously he seemed to be interested only in OG, or at least some sources said that, but now Brazdeikis father says he want to play in qualification tournament and Olympics. I personally highly doubt about his instant production, but who knows, we will still have little time to mesh and maybe ISO offensive player can be usable as instant offense from the bench. Specially if he will get more burn of real NBA experience next season and will come more matured. I think Brazdeikis worth a shot in a long run, while I'm sure there will be obstacles at the start.

Now the finger stamps is a missing piece for proceeding his case officially:

Niujorko „Knicks“ puolėjas Ignas Brazdeikis trokšta kitais metais apsivilkti Lietuvos rinktinės marškinėlius, tačiau jį vis dar stabdo pilietybės kazusas. Lietuvos paso siekiantis krepšininkas pateikė mūsų šalies institucijoms reikalingus dokumentus, bet jo prašymą nagrinėti atsisakyta.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Brazdeikis had no experience with international basketball and have no experience with our nT.

Problem is not just that,but it was obviuos by now even if nba player want to play in Qualification,he basically will have to come and play without no prep with a team.Nba regular season will end max week before qualification starts and this is positive thinking (most likely no nba players at all in qualification looking at nba possible scheduale).

So for Brazdeikis is why tougher atleast Valanciunas and Sabonis can come dirrectly from nba and play with NT (if their teams wont make playoofs).How Brazdeikis can do that he doesnt even know nobody from NT players.He needs atleast month prep with international rules and our players.

But the fact that his father is involved in this situation with citinzenship,its obviuos that his family is seriuos and want to play for our NT.But i doubt it will happen in 2021.

Comment

• Shaw, my take is that we should take Brazdeikis under our wing because the kid has upside. I also don't think he will contribute legitimately from the start, but knowing his situation we should take him as 12th player at the very least. That is to give him some credit.

Finally Jonas Kazlauskas woke up. In mid of 10's, particularly in 2016 he was still bragging about how NT should be JV's team in the future. At that time I already talked that JV and building around him is becoming a problem and it leads no where, but old school coach as Kazlauskas still couldn't see that (and well there where no other legitimate options anyway, but his belief in that you can win something building around slow traditional bruiser was very naive and outdated). Now he sees the shift of basketball and actually understands the limitations of bigs in FIBA (else where also, but specially FIBA). No more talks jau JV or even Sabonis is a future, he wants new Jasikevicius and Marciulionis in the first place Well, this is our coaching maestro, I respect him highly, he's such gritty and talented oldschool coach, some new tendencies will come slower to him now, but he eventually would figure it out and it only shows that he can learn even at this age and how high level of a coach he is:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• as always joy to watch video of Kazlauskas minds about basketball.

reading your comment and seeing video i thought to myself did we watch same video ? You hear one thing you like and tottaly miss the all other points coach made.He talked about your beloved changing basketball topic for 30s other 8minutes he summarized whats wrong right now with our NT .He said Sabonis,Valanciunas that is head and shoulders better level wise,but if they wont have high quality playmakers they wont be used to max and that game become way more guard orientated in last 5 years.

Teams with best guards wins medals thats was showed in recent tournaments.Nothing to argue here.Even Czech with uleb material players went very far because had world class PG Satoransky.

We can dream about Marciulionis and Jasikevicius world calibre guards all we want,but our best backourt players is Lekavicius and Grigonis is at best solid in those main events.What NT coach can do? All elite teams Spain,Australia,France,Serbia has better guards and even teams like Greece,Argentina,Slovenia similiar story.If we play same way as they we gonna lose as we did in all those recent endings, because they have better,higher quality playmakers in backourt that will decide 1 vs 1.

We are behind in tallent,so in other to win we have to find ways do things a little bit diffrently,suprise them,make them do adjustments.But not copy them with just less tallent ,that will not work.

Kazlauskas said well we dont have personalities,leaders thats the main problem.Our NT trying to do everything on team efforts. When we will have atleast one guard that can win game in last 2min like Mills,Fournier,Campazzo, Bogdanovichs,Rubios doing + our teams togetherness will win medals for sure.But such tallents isnt walking on every lithuanian street.

Its easy to change playing style when we dont have need level leaders in those positions.He said well about Jokubaitis,is nice to see him doing big steps forward,but all we talking now is his future possibilities,but who will lead team now ?
                                Last edited by Shawshank; 06-29-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information