Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 253

Thread: 2020 Lithuanian NT: in a chase of Olympic dream

  1. #1
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,542
    Country: Lithuania

    Default 2020 Lithuanian NT: in a chase of Olympic dream

    So it's more or less clear that Kazys Maksvytis should be our new head coach heading into the most important summer of this Olympic cycle. Rumours has it that he accepted this damn tough challenge and will try to lead us to Tokyo. Not that I think this assignment will lift our chances dramatically or smth, but IMO this the best option we could've get bearing the fact that Saras simply is not interested as of yet


  2. #2
    Senior Member madmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,370

    Default

    Good. Anyone is an upgrade over screaming and swearing drama queen Adomaitis

  3. #3
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Good. Anyone is an upgrade over screaming and swearing drama queen Adomaitis
    What about screaming and swearing drama queen Jasikevicius?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,048
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    for me obviuos upgrade to Adomaitis.Basketball fans just didnt like Dainius from the first day and he couldnt prove they wrong with his achieved results and because of that got alot bullshit his way.It was just bad marriage from the start.

    Maskvytis is way more popular in fans eyes and i believe he can win playoofs games.I never believed Adomaitis can do that starting from universiadas days, i didnt seen him that "extra" thing you need to win playoofs games, just good tactical preparation NOT ENOUGH.

    Kazys already said Motiejunas will be invited to the camp.Im not fan of this idea,there is still bad blood between dmo and some veterans from eurobasket2017.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 09-24-2019 at 02:09 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member madmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    What about screaming and swearing drama queen Jasikevicius?
    I personally consider him overrated as hell as well, but that's a topic for another discussion...
    At least his antics and emotional breakdowns are consistent with his fiery personality, while Adomaitis antics all come out as forced and fake in a sense. Not to mention that a guy just couldn't beat any quality team in a pivotal game...at all

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    1,973
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Good. Anyone is an upgrade over screaming and swearing drama queen Adomaitis
    How about Maksvytis's Neptunas loosing all the important games to Rytas by a big margin last season? I can't understund why people consider him as smth surely better than Adomaitis as smth obvious. They both did more or less the same good job in Neptunas/Lietkabelis/Juventus and more experience is on Adomaitis side. He got way too much hate and he doesn't deserve most of it. Your post is an example of that. Adomaitis is not even "screaming" - that's a stupid hate. You can't say that anyone else would be an upgrade - it's not true and it's the same hate. I will remember Adomaitis's NT as a good team, lost endings and lots of bad hate.
    Last edited by Dreamcatcher; 09-24-2019 at 03:52 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I personally consider him overrated as hell as well, but that's a topic for another discussion...
    At least his antics and emotional breakdowns are consistent with his fiery personality, while Adomaitis antics all come out as forced and fake in a sense. Not to mention that a guy just couldn't beat any quality team in a pivotal game...at all
    You mean Saras behave same way on vacations, etc? On the other hand somebody wrote in knet comments that Adomaitis threw private tantrum fit when Neptunas decided not to sign new contract. Of cause it could be hater's invention

  8. #8
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    How about Maksvytis's Neptunas loosing all the important games to Rytas by a big margin last season? I can't understund why people consider him as smth surely better than Adomaitis as smth obvious. They both did more or less the same good job in Neptunas/Lietkabelis/Juventus and more experience is on Adomaitis side. He got way too much hate and he doesn't deserve most of it. Your post is an example of that. Adomaitis is not even "screaming" - that's a stupid hate. You can't say that anyone else would be an upgrade - it's not true and it's the same hate. I will remember Adomaitis's NT as a good team, lost endings and lots of bad hate.

    He won the game that allowed Neptunas finish 2nd in regular season. And I believe Rytas players recieved late wages before semifinal. But then Neptunas' form went down after 1st QF game.

    Anyway, Maskvytis teams always have crises around January and national teams are different type of coaching altogehter

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,148
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    Yay, we needed a new thread now that the 2019 World Cup is over and done with. I was actually planning to start a thread tomorrow entitled "The Road to Tokyo 2020"!

    Last edited by Hepcat; 09-24-2019 at 07:38 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,048
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Adomaitis sucked coaching universiadas teams...rytas always had better players over neptunas always.

    Maskvytis just shined with youngster generation.Won last u-20 tournament didn't even having Valanciunas.

    Adomaitis had one good end of season with neptunas and one good season with juventus.In neptunas cases he wasnt loved by fans,he managed even kicked out of team fan favourite galdikas.

    There is no coach in lkl that beat zalgiris more times than maskvytis and he did that not even rytas level players, but with Neptunas/lietkabelis player's.

    I have reasons to think Maskvytis is simply better all Klaipeda fans saw that from very close
    Last edited by Shawshank; 09-24-2019 at 07:16 PM.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Kazys already said Motiejunas will be invited to the camp.Im not fan of this idea,there is still bad blood between dmo and some veterans from eurobasket2017.
    Me too. Unless we have some serious issues at 5 which is super hard to expect, I don't want D-Mo in the NT. FOA, it's a huge myth he's a power forward. After his injury position 5 is the only place where he can live with both at O and D. Pre-injury D-Mo was agile, athletic and had a pretty consistent stroke, now he lost all that to some degree literally. And also his reputation...It's not a good idea to add another big tree to our already oversized NT (Sabonis, JV, Gudaitis). I would lean towards giving a chance for one of Masiulis, Kulboka, Sedekerskis.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  12. #12
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,148
    Country: Canada

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    for me obviuos upgrade to Adomaitis.Basketball fans just didnt like Dainius from the first day and he couldnt prove they wrong with his achieved results and because of that got alot bullshit his way.It was just bad marriage from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    How about Maksvytis's Neptunas loosing all the important games to Rytas by a big margin last season? I can't understund why people consider him as smth surely better than Adomaitis as smth obvious. They both did more or less the same good job in Neptunas/Lietkabelis/Juventus and more experience is on Adomaitis side. He got way too much hate and he doesn't deserve most of it. Your post is an example of that. Adomaitis is not even "screaming" - that's a stupid hate. You can't say that anyone else would be an upgrade - it's not true and it's the same hate. I will remember Adomaitis's NT as a good team, lost endings and lots of bad hate.
    Yeah, I agree. I think Dainius Adomaitis got a bum rap from the start but it is what it is. It seemed to be a marriage made in hell and it was not to be.

    I have my own doubts about whether Kazys Maksvytis is an actual upgrade, but I'm willing to give him a fair chance. And I really hope that no sub-sector of Lithuanian fans works to undermine his position from day one. That would just be a recipe for failure.

    Last edited by Hepcat; 09-24-2019 at 07:19 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,148
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Kazys already said Motiejunas will be invited to the camp.Im not fan of this idea,there is still bad blood between dmo and some veterans from eurobasket2017.
    Me too. Unless we have some serious issues at 5 which is super hard to expect, I don't want D-Mo in the NT. FOA, it's a huge myth he's a power forward. After his injury position 5 is the only place where he can live with both at O and D. Pre-injury D-Mo was agile, athletic and had a pretty consistent stroke, now he lost all that to some degree literally. And also his reputation...It's not a good idea to add another big tree to our already oversized NT (Sabonis, JV, Gudaitis). I would lean towards giving a chance for one of Masiulis, Kulboka, Sedekerskis.
    I agree. Team Lietuva 2020 is already overstocked at the high post with three natural centers - Jonas Valančiūnas, Domantas Sabonis and Artūras Gudaitis. Why add another one who brings locker room discord with him?


  14. #14
    Senior Member madmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    I agree. Team Lietuva 2020 is already overstocked at the high post with three natural centers - Jonas Valančiūnas, Domantas Sabonis and Artūras Gudaitis. Why add another one who brings locker room discord with him?

    D-Mo is a natural center?
    I didn't expect such blunder from you Hepcat...

  15. #15
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,148
    Country: Canada

    Default

    It's a case of use it or lose it. Donatas Motiejūnas didn't often need the PF part of his game bullying smaller, softer, inferior opposition in the Chinese league. Mostly he had to just post up and overwhelm the opposing center when he got the ball.



    But if I'm wrong, good! Team Lietuva needs a good PF at present so that will be a big plus for the team.


  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    I agree. Team Lietuva 2020 is already overstocked at the high post with three natural centers - Jonas Valančiūnas, Domantas Sabonis and Artūras Gudaitis. Why add another one who brings locker room discord with him?

    The answer is simple. As a basketball country we still have shortsighted fans and weak coaching section. Even if younger generations due to internet and constant readings of NBA sources and such have better understanding of global basketball, our fans as the mass is very outdated and provincial. Some of our mid generation (let's say) coaches, experts like Rutenis Paulauskas have atrocious and limited understanding about global basketball and still relies on very limited, old school knowledge and experience, some of his statements are illiterate in BB world, specially when it goes beyond LKL and EL circles. I'm hopeful though, Saras sets a great example and internet will grow new wiser masses of BB fans. F.e. I could go argue with tons of JV's fans till the fits fight if I would go for that, with those who treat him as new golden boy or some the guy who inevitably should lead us to victories and medals, but only few caught that in three four years he became pretty much a dying breed, barely playable in both NBA and FIBA. If not some ESPN and other analytical projections, those fans would think I'm just a weirdo who decided to bash their hero, but those who actually observe BB game and follow the changes, read articles, are able to put off their yellow, green, red glasses (even worse one colour glasses) and to analyse NT critically and to kill their darlings if that's best for the team. To sum up, just as society overall, we are young and immature BB nation as well. If not Jasikevicius, the picture would be very very bleak, it's so nice that he brings all that culture.

    With that said, Maksvytis didn't say he will invite D-Mo. He said the decision is not yet made, but obviously he indicated that their relationships are good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  17. #17
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,542
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I think Dainius Adomaitis got a bum rap from the start but it is what it is. It seemed to be a marriage made in hell and it was not to be.
    He came at wrong time, to change one of the all-time greatest Kazlauskas. It was impossible to fill his shoes. Another thing was elections, the most wanted coach by masses was Kurtinaitis, but when Adomaitis was chosen obviously those negative responses appeared. None cared that players decision was very important factor, to hate was sweeter. Then bad result in 2017, conflict with D-Mo after it, latter obviously had more fans and support. And finally becoming Rytas coach in 2018 - it was last nail into his coffin. It doesn't take science to know that Rytas is easily the most hated club in LT. These grey masses of fans simply killed him. At times it felt like some are waiting for failure to spread the sh*t out on coach, the situation I hardly remember ever. Sick. I don't mean IBN here, just general situation in LT, people love to hate. While we played fine during his stint, lot of bball related people admit it, Saras was the last one, but results weren't there. But some were unsatisfied even when results there were, but we played ugly (Kazlas days), were always complaining that this is not our basketball school... Had some hot discussions about that back in the days, especially when I wrote that this is the only way to win for us, cause we are not that good anymore to win on talent alone... But it is what it is. To sum up, I never was a fan of Adomaitis as a coach, consider him an average to good one on our standarts, but no way he deserved such treatment and hate. Being a coach of NT is a hot seat, no matter who is in there always will be negative things to say. Some are just coach haters, even here we have long-time ones, as I wrote in other thread, I laughed hard when one guy here was calling Kazlauskas "old fool", "old fart" when he joined and during his stint, now I saw him calling Kazlas - a professor The best coach is always a "goner" it seems

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    I have my own doubts about whether Kazys Maksvytis is an actual upgrade, but I'm willing to give him a fair chance. And I really hope that no sub-sector of Lithuanian fans works to undermine his position from day one. That would just be a recipe for failure.
    It's still not official, there's no clearance from Perm yet, but Maksvytis surely won't get such wave of hate Adomaitis received. He is coming into the most hated person place, so anyone now is better. But will he actually be better, only time will tell. As I wrote in first post, I think Maksvytis is the best option we could get now, but not the one who will make major difference. He still lacks experience on such level, the same way Adomaitis did. So I won't talk about upgrades for now. And overall situation is complicated, I think coach factor will be way less important in OQT. Individual talent will decide much more. Especially when FIBA moved tournaments back from July to June, almost two weeks were cut from preparation, it's huge, cause club seasons will be over only week or couple ago. And then imagine if we'll have to travel to some China or Americas + acclimatization - it fcks up all the plans. Too little time even for proper friendlies


  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    1,973
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Me too. Unless we have some serious issues at 5 which is super hard to expect, I don't want D-Mo in the NT. FOA, it's a huge myth he's a power forward. After his injury position 5 is the only place where he can live with both at O and D. Pre-injury D-Mo was agile, athletic and had a pretty consistent stroke, now he lost all that to some degree literally. And also his reputation...It's not a good idea to add another big tree to our already oversized NT (Sabonis, JV, Gudaitis). I would lean towards giving a chance for one of Masiulis, Kulboka, Sedekerskis.
    Some half a year ago you wrote exactly opposite saying his bad behaviour is an overrated thing or smth like that. Then nothing happened and you changed the position. By the way, he could have helped in WC as Jankunas predictably couldn't and anyway Donatas could be still better then many others like Masiulis and etc.

  19. #19
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,542
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Some half a year ago you wrote exactly opposite saying his bad behaviour is an overrated thing or smth like that. Then nothing happened and you changed the position. By the way, he could have helped in WC as Jankunas predictably couldn't and anyway Donatas could be still better then many others like Masiulis and etc.
    I liked words of Kemzura (If I'm not wrong) - NT should consist not out of best individuals, but be a best team possible. D-Mo just doesn't click in this puzzle. Too big ego. JV or Domas can play little, but they never will say a word about it. D-Mo started his NT journey demanding minutes in Olympics and was left out at the end. Lot of people downgrade the importance of lockerroom factor here. It's very important in team sport. We have seen so many big teams flopping and underdogs winning just thnx to it. Argentina probably the last best example. If Maksvytis or other coach will call him up - none probably will react too harshly, but everyone knows that D-Mo is not really welcome there. He said too much, did too much to burn all the bridges and judging by his latest interviews and actions, I don't see him maturing enough to realize or even admit his mistakes


  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Some half a year ago you wrote exactly opposite saying his bad behaviour is an overrated thing or smth like that. Then nothing happened and you changed the position. By the way, he could have helped in WC as Jankunas predictably couldn't and anyway Donatas could be still better then many others like Masiulis and etc.
    Things happened. FOA, we already seen that even Sabonis who is more agile today than D-Mo is could hardly play together with JV. I don't see a fit for D-Mo. He can't shoot threes, he even managed to screw his shot mechanics to the point where he shoots FT's with the bank shot very often, it's that bad. Jankunas on the paper was a great fit because he has that mid range jumper and Lekavicius could find him open after p'n'p all day long, the problem was that he simply missed open jimmies, shit happens, but the plan was correct and spot on.

    And lastly I've got more info from NT players (some reporters who have ties with them mentioned that) that D-Mo was often late to team's gatherings and acted differently than other guys. I mean when NT members starting to talk about it means the dude really stood out in a bad way...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •