2020 Lithuanian NT: in a chase of Olympic dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madmax View Post
    Tubelis is already better than all of these guys, despite being much younger and less experienced. He's our best young prospect since JV days and he should be a member of the NT already just like JV was back in 2011
    You meant since Domas, right? I wouldn't mind to see Tubelis in the camp, but NCAA and PRO is still different. Let alone to be thrown into OG instantly. But to mess around in the camp and to see how it works, why not, if there's some room. Domas as 19yo didn't do much in his first EB under Kazlaas, 19yo Tubelis won't fill NTs gaps as well. Too soon.

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
    Yes, this one looks very close to reality. Sedekerskis really stepping up right in time in one of our most problematic positions, given the fact that Domas is more a C. I was sceptical with him in Dusko's schemes, but was proved wrong and that's great. Maybe he will be involved in offense more bit by bit, but it's hard when you have Polonara, Peters, the same Giedraitis playing some time at SF, where Sedekerskis also is given time. All of them are offensive players and you get the ball quite rarely.
    Nice to see Gudaitis contributing too. Yesterday his hustle vs very physical Reynolds was really good one. Bad thing that such big number of minutes won't last long as Zenit is signing Black
    I personally even like that Sedekerskis is great defensive forward who doesn't need the ball in his hands. He will nail a three, he's a good cutter, he will make a pass. Sabonis, JV will need a ball, Grigonis will need a ball, Lekavicius will go ISO. Going further, we likely to have even more big offensive egos as well. So such super role, defensive players as Sedekerskis are very valuable.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
      You meant since Domas, right? I wouldn't mind to see Tubelis in the camp, but NCAA and PRO is still different. Let alone to be thrown into OG instantly. But to mess around in the camp and to see how it works, why not, if there's some room. Domas as 19yo didn't do much in his first EB under Kazlaas, 19yo Tubelis won't fill NTs gaps as well. Too soon.

You know very well why I specifically mentioned 19 year old JV and not Domas - he was simply a much bigger prospect at his age than Sabonis was and was already a massive contributor to the NT in 2011. There's no reason why we should stick to mediocre LKL level players when we have such a talent already

Comment

You know very well why I specifically mentioned 19 year old JV and not Domas - he was simply a much bigger prospect at his age than Sabonis was and was already a massive contributor to the NT in 2011. There's no reason why we should stick to mediocre LKL level players when we have such a talent already
        Fair enough. I thought you may mean that. However, both JV and Domas were in the lottery, both huge prospects. JV was slightly bigger. A year of drafts means a lot as well. JV was drafted at the dawn of traditional bruisers decline. Few years later he wouldn't even be in the lottery, IMO.

I disagree with Tubelis. Unless he would truly drop more thirty points games and would mess around with big prospects. He already did great against possible top five pick, or at least his team, but he's just getting his feet wet in NCAA yet, NT is different animal. JV looked good as 19yo in NT because there was Saras who still was probably the best p'n'r PG in Europe. Tubelis still too raw, he didn't even play in LKL all that much yet, while JV had a lot true PRO experience prior NT. Again, it's on Tubelis, but I exclude this possibility at the moment. In 2022 I think he already will be a strong candidate.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

There's no reason why we should stick to mediocre LKL level players when we have such a talent already
          Bendzius is among the top scorers in Italy averaging 17 pts in the good team there. He is not a mediocre LKL player but the best 3pt shooter in Lithuanian basketball nowaday. So some respect and following things here are missed here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
            Bendzius is among the top scorers in Italy averaging 17 pts in the good team there. He is not a mediocre LKL player but the best 3pt shooter in Lithuanian basketball nowaday. So some respect and following things here are missed here.
            oh, I never meant to disrespect Bendzius and his dedication to lithuanian NT during all of these qualifying windows - if not for him and his threes, we might not have qualified for the main tournaments in the past. With that being said, he's still a one trick pony and whatever he gives you offensively, he gives up even more defensively (on the elite level anyway). Let's just be clear here for one second - we all know Bendzius' ceiling and he's not getting better anymore, while Tubelis is only gonna get better

Comment

No, the results are dreadful That's why Adomaitis resigned you know.
              "Dreadful" is a relative term. On admittedly a limited sample the results have been a lot worse since he left. It's the next six months which will actually tell the tale though. Usually I'm cautiously optimistic but right now I have a considerable degree of apprehension when I look ahead.

Comment

• Reaction to Maskoliunas preliminary list. I guess the only positive moment is that Jokubaitis might be available, and, IMO, that would be a real boost. Even in spring Windows, then he still was not the same player as he is now, he gave a lot to NT. Sure, now he's on a little slump, and not so sharp and impressive as at the start of the season, but I would treat him as the best GUARD from all available from Maskoliunas list. For such fragmental games, he's already surely better than Kalnieitis, IMO. Mantas is still good when there's a system and everything is polished and oiled, he can facilitate the ball nicely, but Jokubaitis has the burst, explosiveness and killers mentality, energy. So if he's in I like it. Now, Kariniauskas. IDK, I would still go with Velicka and wouldn't change things. FOA, Arnas did well in his debut and I probably treat Arnas as better defender than Kariniauskas (debatable though). Also, Velicka is still more explosive and athletic with his slashes. And in such games often it's more valuable than maybe more solid and ripen facilitating of Kariniauskas (we have Kalnietis for that). Velicka can get to the line and I would trust him for pure ISO action which, IMO, will be needed as it was in previous windows. Continuation is also important here, Arnas will feel more confident now likely. Let alone Vasiliauskas, I wouldn't even consider him. Good thing that we have Butkevicius as well, it will boost our athleticism and defensive presence.

I probably would go with such team:

Kalnietis, Velicka
                Jokubaitis, Dimsa, Gailius
                Kuzminskas, Butkevicius
                Bendzius, Maciulis, Miniotas
                Echodas, Birutis

This would be enough to secure the win against Denmark. That is if we would have a head coach who would boost and prepare the team mentally. With Maskoliunas...I won't even continue...

Likus kiek daugiau nei mėnesiui iki trečiojo Europos vyrų krepšinio čempionato atrankos etapo, Lietuvos vyrų krepšinio rinktinės vyr. treneris Darius...
                Last edited by Straight forward; 01-17-2021, 12:52 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• So Maskoliunas and federation dont see danger and not even tried to get any euroleague players in must win game or total fiasco.

Ok hopefully they knew what they are doing,otherwise their heads will fall .

STF where is Kulboka? You were telling us forever here he should play 15min already in main tournaments with A team, 6months later you dont even see in our B roster anymore ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                    STF where is Kulboka? You were telling us forever here he should play 15min already in main tournaments with A team, 6months later you dont even see in our B roster anymore ?
                    I expected bigger leap from Kulboka this season. And last season I underestimated his inconsistency. I hyped him too much in his very impressive stretch (later he got injured and it took tame for him to come back to his status quo). He could be invited, why not, all these players like Bendzius, Maciulis, Masiulis, Miniotas, Kulboka are pretty much at same level. But Maskoliunas went with other guys in previous window and now I don't see a point to add new pieces. Kulboka wouldn't be obvious upgrade and Miniotas did OK in his debut.

I'm not giving up on Kulboka, but expected more consistency and improvement (here also reaction to Ludux post). In a long run, with his size, long arms, perfect shooting touch and decent D awareness he still has very nice upside. Just needs to continue to work and likely will be a nice universal forward at EL level, primarily a stretch 4. A bit more complete and more athletic version of Bendzius which should make him a long term NT piece, while Bendzius has been a borderliner.

But what can federation do? To force Zalgiris to let Lekavicius and Grigonis to skip EL game?
                    Last edited by Straight forward; 01-16-2021, 11:59 AM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

This would be enough to secure the win against Denmark. That is if we would have a head coach who would boost and prepare the team mentally. With Maskoliunas...I won't even continue...
                      I surely wouldn't put it solely on coach when we talk about such short preparation. Maskoliunas of course made mistakes, no doubt, but players screwed up no less, they are grown men, professionals, they must understand what kind of shirt they are wearing, the meaning of the game and you don't have to tell them all day long that Denmark is dangerous. It's either you prepare yourself to fight in each game against any rival, either you are picking were to use more energy and then none would make you believe that you must give it all against team like Denmark, especially depleted one, not before that shameful game. Maybe now they'll wake up, I mean whole team. If not, then at least good that second one is exactly that decisive one vs Denmark as it was the same story in both windows - first game crapfest, second one notably better. It seems we might have the same revenge factor against them we had vs Belgium and as result then totally forgot that first we have Denmark game... I'm not worried about outcome if only attitude will be right. If there'll be underestimation again, then we deserve nothing. We must beat Denmark even with IBN crew as coaching staff )

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                      So Maskoliunas and federation dont see danger and not even tried to get any euroleague players in must win game or total fiasco.

Ok hopefully they knew what they are doing,otherwise their heads will fall .
                      It's all on clubs, not federation or coach. In football clubs are forced to let players play in NT, in basketball, precisely these windows, only club can decide that. Logically thinking if Jokubaitis is there, that means Maskoliunas most likely talked to Zalgiris, to P-Mo and I guess that he was the only player (+ Blazevic) that was allowed to go. Maybe we'll find out more details later

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                        I surely wouldn't put it solely on coach when we talk about such short preparation. Maskoliunas of course made mistakes, no doubt, but players screwed up no less, they are grown men, professionals, they must understand what kind of shirt they are wearing, the meaning of the game and you don't have to tell them all day long that Denmark is dangerous. It's either you prepare yourself to fight in each game against any rival, either you are picking were to use more energy and then none would make you believe that you must give it all against team like Denmark, especially depleted one, not before that shameful game. Maybe now they'll wake up, I mean whole team. If not, then at least good that second one is exactly that decisive one vs Denmark as it was the same story in both windows - first game crapfest, second one notably better. It seems we might have the same revenge factor against them we had vs Belgium and as result then totally forgot that first we have Denmark game... I'm not worried about outcome if only attitude will be right. If there'll be underestimation again, then we deserve nothing. We must beat Denmark even with IBN crew as coaching staff )
                        It's still primarily and for most on Maskoliunas. Adomaitis with the same talent and almost same players was able to take the best of his team, Maskoliunas couldn't. Also Maskoliunas made some obvious ridiculous mistakes like tolerating extremely crappy stretch of Blazevic against Denmark. Not taking Echodas for the game. We didn't see such crap with Adomaitis who just took every game with absolute the same mentality (every game is super important, trashing Kosovo not letting players to relax for a minute). Maskoliunas screwed big time and it's not the best moment to try to cover his pitiable job. The worst thing that it happens over and over again (to lose against Estonia with Lekavicius, Grigonis and other key pieces of NT?). Three fiaskos in a half of year...come on...

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

It's still primarily and for most on Maskoliunas. Adomaitis with the same talent and almost same players was able to take the best of his team, Maskoliunas couldn't. Also Maskoliunas made some obvious ridiculous mistakes like tolerating extremely crappy stretch of Blazevic against Denmark. Not taking Echodas for the game. We didn't see such crap with Adomaitis who just took every game with absolute the same mentality (every game is super important, trashing Kosovo not letting players to relax for a minute). Maskoliunas screwed big time and it's not the best moment to try to cover his pitiable job. The worst thing that it happens over and over again (to lose against Estonia with Lekavicius, Grigonis and other key pieces of NT?). Three fiaskos in a half of year...come on...
                          I didn't cover anything, what for? I think I wrote it clearly that Maskoliunas made mistakes. Anyway, c'mon , that Estonian argument won't do. Grigonis, Lekavicius... Grigonis came to play after how long absence, maybe 8 months? Lkavicius didn't play since March. It was friendly tournament, meaningless one, just to give players some playing time after long break. Forget about it. We used to have such losses in friendlies more than once in our bball history. Not that it's great or a thing to use for excuses, but really who cares about it, especially given all the circumstnces? It's just a random friendly, not even preparation for some big tournament. Anyway, I was primarly talking about Denmark game. It's on whole team. Period. You might hate Maskoliunas as much as you want, compare to Adomaitis, who btw was also hated no less, but such failures like vs Denmark doesn't happen cause of one coach, one player or smth. I wrote before that game - you must win such games with a squad gathered right from the street, without a freaking coach. No disrespect to Denmark, but with right attitude we have more than enough tools to beat them even with monkey on the bench. You simply go on and play, show some character, do your best and not think about next game already, afterall value the shirt you are wearing. I wouldn't need nor coach, nor anyone to give it all with NT shirt, some of the players will get that opportunity once in a life time and its sad to see Denmark dying on the floor and our team just coming to the take a win home like someone will give it them for free... That's what annoyed me the most right from the start of the game, there wasn't needed desire, fighting spirit. Maybe it cause I grew up watching Sabas, Marcela generation, where players were fighting each other even in practices. So yeah, you can put part of the blame on coach for that of course, but it's not a kindergarten, players must show some initiative, some reaction either

Comment

• I agree, players screwed as well. I agree that against Denmark we should win even with our B team if that team properly hustles and give their A effort. And if would try (which I don't want) to justify Maskoliunas a little bit, maybe quallies to WC a bit spoiled our B team members. We got used to wins and maybe they thought we will continue this path without much of a sweat. Some player's motivation might be lower, the same Kalnietis...how much motivation he really has at this point of his career to play such game? But the problem is that you still need a coach as the one to assure that the team would hustle and play at A level. It's that component which is important team's mentality wise alone. Not to mention M. Brazys (assistant of Adomaitis) said that you still should be preparing for such teams like Denmark these days. There was rumours (Urbonusas) that the preparation for Denmark wasn't really serious. Also, what players should think when the coach doesn't even register main center for the game? But my biggest issue with Maskoliunas is that he screwed in the most shameful way against Belgium ("we'll run faster, jump higher" shit and gets badly humiliated), than loses to Estonia (what the hell, as you say, but still a kick into your balls) and after all this before the game Denmark he still gives rather warmish pre game interview "Yeah, we shouldn't underrate, but I'm not gonna pretend I really know this Denmark team". I mean, DUDE! It's just what Maskoliunas is, he's super calm, laid back, friendly carriage and shit...he can be a super spot on as an assistant next to explosive Saras, but he's ain't a head coach...

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• February 22nd zalgiris isn't playing euroleague games.

I saw 2 years ago 5 Latvian euroleague players from different clubs came after their euroleague games and fought hard in Montenegro, yeah they lost nerve battle game ,but they all came.Club can do nothing if player insist and games dates don't duplicate.

That zalgiris maybe will give 19 and 20 kids it's just very selfish thinking,when entire NT house is on fire thats not kids job to save anything.

Better NT B not fail again in game when there is no tommorow otherwise everybody gonna be blamed maskoliunas, federation,zalgiris also for not helping in desperate situation and looking for only their asses.
                              Last edited by Shawshank; 01-17-2021, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                                February 22nd zalgiris isn't playing euroleague games.

I saw 2 years ago 5 Latvian euroleague players from different clubs came after their euroleague games and fought hard in Montenegro, yeah they lost nerve battle game ,but they all came.Club can do nothing if player insist and games dates don't duplicate.

That zalgiris maybe will give 19 and 20 kids it's just very selfish thinking,when entire NT house is on fire thats not kids job to save anything.

Better NT B not fail again in game when there is no tommorow otherwise everybody gonna be blamed maskoliunas, federation,zalgiris also for not helping in desperate situation and looking for only their asses.
                                Club can do everything in this case: they don't want to let go - they won't, players can do nothing about it. There's no such items in contract for a player to leave in mid of the season for NT. Nor in EL, nor in NBA. Let's say Shengelia played for Georgia in previous window only cause he added that NT clause in his contract. CSKA knew how complicated this deal is cause of Russia/Georgia relations, so agreed to add it, cause they wanted to have a player, a player who was taken as traitor in his homeland for signing with army club. That was some sort of compromise. Other than that most of such cases are bench players with very rare exceptions. Including that Latvian case, where only maybe Strelnieks was important player in Oly, but didn't he got seriously injured in that exact game vs Montenegro? Others were bench warmers like Timma, Peiners, Smits, the same Bertans already didn't play for Milan if I recall correctly, cause he was about to sign with some NBA club, don't remember which, but that doesn't matter.
                                Don't get me wrong, I don't support it, I'd want every Zalgiris player in NT, but you must understand some P-Mo too, he is responsible for the club results first of all, he can't risk his best player like Grigonis in such intense season, when he just had major injury and missed 8 months of action. Why he doesn't want to let Lekavicius go I don't know, maybe he thinks that PG is already stacked with Kalnietis and Jokubaitis. Anyway, if there's someone to blame, then it's only FIBA. I'be been saying it ever since these windows were created - it's absurd, teams must have a chance to field best teams to play to decide which one is better. Playing some B team vs other A team it is not how sport works. This way some top notch teams screwed up in previous qualies (Slovenia, Croatia, the same Latvia), back then some Liths weren't taking it for serious, but now when our asses are burning, maybe the attitude towards this FIBA stupidity will change, just hopefully we won't pay the biggest price for it

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information