Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1388

Thread: 2020 Lithuanian NT: in a chase of Olympic dream

My game plan against Slovenia with Doncic would be to attack Doncic (double him as soon as possible he keeps the ball in his hands) to force him to give the ball to his team mates even. I think its better to let other guys score or decide than getting Doncic in rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    My game plan against Slovenia with Doncic would be to attack Doncic (double him as soon as possible he keeps the ball in his hands) to force him to give the ball to his team mates even. I think its better to let other guys score or decide than getting Doncic in rhythm.
    Pretty much agree. We'll try to trap him as well, IMO. Not that we gonna trap him all the time, that's a huge risk as well, but we'll see a little bit of that, I'm pretty sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Doncic has the body of a sedentary 45 year old. The game plan should be to keep pressuring him and run him into the ground.

mindozas

"jeigu tik reikes"... yeah thats what im saying maskoliunas dont need 3 real big centers in his vision how he want to play especially in defence.Thats why im saying it is more coaches desicion do not wait and see will gudaitis heal till training camp or not.
    Shawshank, god damnit, are you for real here? Ok, let's make it together. Maskoliūnas said: "Tokia situacija gaunasi, jog sakė kad jeigu tik reikės, tai tikrai prisijungs, padės". He was told by Gudaitis "jeigu tik reikės", it was Gudaitis words... that if he will be needed then he will come and help, but he prefer to heal injury first. I posted it in Lithuanian to make it all easier, but maybe your native language is different, I don't know, since I don't get how can you still argue about thing that is more than obvious

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Answering your question - Yes, I would.
    So you would still take Rokas Jokubaitis instead of Tomas Dimša even if Jokubaitis underperforms Dimša at camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Talking about sports related things, it would be not wise (for Jokubaitis) to go there (CSKA) cause no one would be patient with him and as foreigner he would have to show results more or less immediately, otherwise benched. I think he is wise enough to get it, CSKA doesn't have Saras to back him up, Itoudis is under pressure to show results, Vatutin too. If Grigonis is surely ready for such path, then Jokubaitis, no matter his character, would be still too raw for his first season abroad in EL title contender without a coach who would trust him no matter what.
    Well quite simply the Qualifying Tournament lasts only four games. Just like Mindozas says about CSKA, Team Lietuva doesn't have the luxury of waiting for his game to develop.

The way I see it, Dimša has been a consistent presence in the qualifying windows and has played credibly well. Jokubaitis as a newcomer must knock Dimša from his spot.

Plenty of reasons. 1. He's a nearest future franchise player of Lithuanian NT. 2. He has been balling in EL and was really decent. 3. He's a high IQ all around guard, primarily PG. Dimsa is just a below average guy of ACB and his position if filled with Grigonis, Giedraitis (EL studs). Jokubaitis will be doing OK in the camp and we need guys who can play with the ball in their hands, facilitate, provide high level decision making. Dimsa ain't producing that. Dimsa is a short stretches scorer and he may be competing for the spot with Brazdeikis, but the latter is more universal, talented and explosive and thus will make the team, IMO.
    As always you're much too willing to make assessments a priori. Why don't you wait until we see the results from training camp before deciding whether Jokubaitis is ready for the big stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post

Well quite simply the Qualifying Tournament lasts only four games. Just like Mindozas says about CSKA, Team Lietuva doesn't have the luxury of waiting for his game to develop.

The way I see it, Dimša has been a consistent presence in the qualifying windows and has played credibly well. Jokubaitis as a newcomer must knock Dimša from his spot.
    You don;t have to put that post into this discussion. CSKA and NT are absolutely different things. CSKA can sign players, they has the budget to get much better options than Jokubaitis, the ones who are already established EL players with bag of experience. NT can pick only Liths. And no, Dimsa is no competition for Jokubaitis. For a simple thing - Dimsa is wing and that position is crowded with Grigonis, Giedraitis, while Jokubaitis is PG, at best combo

15min.lt sources say that Jokubaitis agreed with Barselona 2+2. The rumor is that Schiller and Zalgiris was offering him starting spot at 2. It's a rough call, but let's hope Jasikevicius will find him enough of minutes both in ACB and EL.

Buckle up. Doncic should be coming now. IMO, this will be much harder to do it than in 2012 for us. We never had such huge obstacle in our way as Doncic when it comes to Olympic qualification I think. Now we should prepare mentally that we will have to die on the court slowing down Doncic. 8th consecutive ticket to Olympics is at stake.

15min.lt sources say that Jokubaitis agreed with Barselona 2+2. The rumor is that Schiller and Zalgiris was offering him starting spot at 2. It's a rough call, but let's hope Jasikevicius will find him enough of minutes both in ACB and EL.
    This is interesting. On one hand, there is Schiller who likes Jokubaitis very much, already gave him good minutes this season and is ready to give him even bigger role next season. On the other hand, you have opportunity to work with excellent basketball mind who can teach you better than anyone about secrets of playmaking (Micic recently said he learned so much about p&r stuff from Saras), but probably won't get a significant role or minutes at least at the beginning of the season. That's tricky, both opportunities seem great, but I guess financial details also play a part in this decision. It's good for Jokubaitis that Barca doesn't have too many ballhandlers outside of Calathes, and assuming Jokubaitis is going to take Bolmaro's minutes it should be ok. But it was also clear in this F4 that Barca needed another strong on ball guard, and I think next season Saras will look to add one more experienced ballhandler which might affect Jokubaitis' minutes throughout the season. However, in either way Jokubaitis will get playing time, I suppose he is not coming to just sit on the bench while he has a free reign at Zalgiris.

Buckle up. Doncic should be coming now. IMO, this will be much harder to do it than in 2012 for us. We never had such huge obstacle in our way as Doncic when it comes to Olympic qualification I think. Now we should prepare mentally that we will have to die on the court slowing down Doncic. 8th consecutive ticket to Olympics is at stake.
    This will be a must watch TV. How do you prepare for Doncic? Well, there is actually one flaw I noticed with Doncic (which really isn't the flaw but a product of situation where you have to do everything) - he gets extremely tired by the time fourth quarter begins. His FG percentage in the series vs Clippers were by far the worst during fourth quarters. Of course, that is result of great spending throughout of the game and the fact that he has to do a lot of stuff for his team. Luckily for you, he will be in similar situation with Slovenian team. So, the question is - do you make Luka do everything by himself and try to wear him out? Or you do everything to keep other players in check while he scores the bunch. He will score bunch of buckets in either way but the key might be to wear him out as much as possible and stay in the game by the time fourth quarter begins. There is really no clear plan against such players other then just to do everything to make it harder and hope it will eventually catch up to him especially in situation where everything heavily depends on him. His biggest flaw is that he still isn't in the best condition of his career and that is his biggest weakness right now.

Brazdeikis not comming and want to prepare better for summer league to get NBA contract.

I think this is best desicion for him and for our NT for this summer.

But what Maskoliunas choosen replacing Iggy Sg-SF player is very interesting.Coach choosen take PF type that can switch and in theory could play some C too.

So maybe he hear those rumbles in media about no protection at C position after all?
    Last edited by Shawshank; 06-07-2021 at 01:32 PM.

IMO, the best way to defend Doncic is to trap him and double team him as soon as he crosses the half-court line, and make his clearly inferior slovenian teammates beat us instead of him raping our whole team...can that be achieved with the personnel we have on the defense at the moment? I doubt it, and with this current amateur coach it's even more a mission impossible lol

Exclamation

Brazdeikis not comming and want to prepare better for summer league to get NBA contract.
    Doesn't make sense to me. I'd think that the Olympics would be a better place for him to showcase his talents than some bush summer league.

Doesn't make sense to me. I'd think that the Olympics would be a better place for him to showcase his talents than some bush summer league.

He won't play for Lithuania until his career takes him to Europe or he has a long term comfortable contract in the NBA. At this point former is more likely than the latter.

Doncic sends us a message - https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/sta...55874927693826

Quote Originally Posted by Serbian_Layup View Post
    This will be a must watch TV. How do you prepare for Doncic? Well, there is actually one flaw I noticed with Doncic (which really isn't the flaw but a product of situation where you have to do everything) - he gets extremely tired by the time fourth quarter begins. His FG percentage in the series vs Clippers were by far the worst during fourth quarters. Of course, that is result of great spending throughout of the game and the fact that he has to do a lot of stuff for his team. Luckily for you, he will be in similar situation with Slovenian team. So, the question is - do you make Luka do everything by himself and try to wear him out? Or you do everything to keep other players in check while he scores the bunch. He will score bunch of buckets in either way but the key might be to wear him out as much as possible and stay in the game by the time fourth quarter begins. There is really no clear plan against such players other then just to do everything to make it harder and hope it will eventually catch up to him especially in situation where everything heavily depends on him. His biggest flaw is that he still isn't in the best condition of his career and that is his biggest weakness right now.
    Yeah, good point. To me it's not an aim to get Doncic off the ball, but to make him work in every inch of the court and to pay the price of energy of every more. Let him operate with the ball, let him do a lot, but let's be super hard on him. IMO, we won't have problems offensively, not only we have way superior frontline, but we have some scoring from the perimeter as well this time. The key will be 4th quarter as you say. If the game will still be on the line till the crunch time and Doncic is still alive, Lithuania is done. That's the scenario we should be avoiding by any cost.

To me it's a loss. He could be useful offensively in some stretches, I think he showed enough with Magic that it's realistic possibility. Losing both Ulanovas and Brazdeikis would be a hit to our Olympic ambitions, but hopefully not too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    He won't play for Lithuania until his career takes him to Europe or he has a long term comfortable contract in the NBA. At this point former is more likely than the latter.
    I think you are a little bit too preoccupied with this conception and I know he's Canadian so you may be right, but it's more like he's skipping this off season and the chances to see him in Eurobasket 2022 are huge no matter his contract status. Prior this decision our head coach had private conversation with Brazdeikis and he was about to come, he was planning to come. Obviously he changed his mind, but it was very very close even this summer. It's indication that with Brazdeikis is different than with average Canadian NT candidate. He was born and lived in Lithuania for 3-4 years and his family are huge fans of NT and it's seen on how high he speaks about Lithuanian NT. If it's not how I say, he may very well lose credibility if he would decline couple of invitations in a row. We have a little bit different standards. If next summer he would sent the same message it would be pretty much the cut of ties or at least obvious raise of mistrust, IMO, and I don't think it's happening.

Brazdeikis is fighting to stay in nba. For him to work all summer in nba league atmosphere way better chance getting somebody notice him than play in qualification tournament that nba clubs dont even watch. Nba world watches and respects only main Olympic tournament.

That Brazdeikis would have big role on NT or LTU NT would make Olympics thats not given to ale showcase himself.

One Podcaster said there is vibe that Brazdeikis as first time rookie wasnt preparing comming early or anything like that to adjust himself with our NT.

He would have come to camp even late as some lock player from nba. I dont like this vibe at all.

Overall i dont believe he would have helped our NT this summer either way and in 10 days its hard to do anything with player from diffrent basketball world that have no clue about fiba tournaments or other lithuanian NT players.

Atleast in 2022 summer camp will be normal 1,5month preparation not 10 days like in 2021.

If Brazdeikis really want to play for our NT and not just sending nicely written official letter by his helpers. Right start for him would be in 2022 when new Olympic cycle begins. With normal preparation and normal adjustment time.

Exclamation

One Podcaster said there is vibe that Brazdeikis as first time rookie wasnt preparing comming early or anything like that to adjust himself with our NT.

He would have come to camp even late as some lock player from nba. I dont like this vibe at all.

Overall i dont believe he would have helped our NT this summer either way and in 10 days its hard to do anything with player from diffrent basketball world that have no clue about fiba tournaments or other lithuanian NT players.
    Well we're in full agreement on that point anyway. I'm not at all sure that Ignas Brazdeikis could have made the roster. Straight forward I think has been his most ardent backer on this board.

Last edited by Hepcat; 06-08-2021 at 12:57 AM.

Exclamation

Buckle up. Doncic should be coming now. IMO, this will be much harder to do it than in 2012 for us. We never had such huge obstacle in our way as Doncic when it comes to Olympic qualification I think.... 8th consecutive ticket to Olympics is at stake.
    Well nobody ever promised us it had to be easy. What it amounts to is that in order to play with the best Team Lietuva must demonstrate that it's capable of beating a tough team with some real talent on the roster.

If Ulanovas out, I think Maciulis should come in and likely make the team. Maciulis is still physical and pretty good defender. I don't think we have to take any of really meh 4/5 player in Masiulis or Miniotas. Again, as a small center Sedekerskis can play, maybe even Maciulis in some cases as Maskoliunas already tried it. If we lose skill and talent in Brazdeikis and Ulanovas, then we should bring on defensive bruisers and Mačiulis as forward is probably more important piece in the puzzle of stopping Doncic. We have to use all possible advantages of more rigid FIBA BB (we should push it to the boundaries and test the limitations, maybe even drawing couple of technical fouls, if that will get Doncic frustrated) and should be really hard and as tight as possible at the defensive end. Masiulis is pretty meh, even though he at least had a good do or die experience already against Denmark, but Miniotas to me doesn't make sense while he's an offensive player primarily.

Kalnietis, Lekavicius, Jokubaitis
    Grigonis, Giedraitis
    Kuzminskas, Butkevicius, Maciulis
    Sedekerskis, Bendzius
    Sabonis, Valanciunas

wow today is special day i agree with players STF wrote i had same players in mind if Ulanovas and Gudaitis cant play.

When Maskoliunas change Sg/Sf player with PF/C and you had Maciulis still ale waiting this looks strange to me.

If Ulanovas will say officially he cant play and Maciulis still is not comming it means only one thing:

Maskoliunas burned bridges with Maciulis when didnt include him in 15 men candidate list.

Because i dont get what is the point replace Brazdeikis with totally diffrent position player Miniotas ?
    Last edited by Shawshank; 06-08-2021 at 12:01 PM.

The reason is that if Ulanovas in, there's no need of Maciulis. We still have 3 defensive forwards bruisers in Sedekerskis, Ulanovas, Butkevicius. If Ulanovas out, I think it's natural to take Maciulis in. We will need to beat the c***p out of Doncic anyway if we want to qualify and Maciulis seem to be spot on for this physical task. Maybe Maskoliunas also don't really want to even touch Maciulis if he's not sure whenever he's 100% want him in the team. Let's not forget that. If Maciulis is invited, he's a lock. He's not some Masiulis, Miniotas which you would cut without a blink.

Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast