2020 Lithuanian NT: in a chase of Olympic dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
    But he will be smart pg that scores like 4 pts and give 5 assist in his 18 min and put everybody in right places, also will have ability to call down team in panic situations.
    Well, let's hope so, but I'm not sure any more. Let's say I expected more. His decision making was suspect in all 2 games, he was a bit urgent, unwarranted, didn't really bring that leading role that this NT needed. 4pts, 6as, 3TOs is not exactly what I expected from him as from No.1 PG in such game against Denmark. Besides, he blew coaches request to go inside in the last possession (opponents in bonus), he jacked off a silly three instead and that was it. Not a veteran move. Again, the competition is far from elite. The fact is Kalnietis couldn't live up the expectations in windows ever since 2019WC. He's getting slower, he's a bit thinner, but at the same time softer, he's dribbling and D is even more suspect now. I'm not sure he's providing what you're writing at NT level any more. Opponents will be tougher and FIBA games are more intense overall than club's regular season games. Sure, we will take him, but I'm not holding my breath, as holistic individual, today Mantas doesn't look all that convincing.

And when your starting PG has 6eff per game against such competition (rookie back up with 8,5eff) it's poor however you look at it.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 12-01-2020, 12:45 PM.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Sedekerskis slowly developing into our version of Draymond Green. Not the first time in a short stretch he provides all around offensive game and he always working at D. Love to see these 4/5 assists games in short stretches. Now against Real, 4pts, 5rbs, 4ast, 12eff in 20min.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• So the knock out game against Denmark will take place in Vilnius. I treat it as slight advantage, we know the conditions will be good, maybe we will snatch few players from Zalgiris so they will have to travel only 100km with their cars, we'll have that big screen with fans in the arena, maybe some sound support could be figured out as well. Better we not screw this time, because it will be the biggest screw in modern Lith BB history. To lose against Belarus in early 90's once is not the same as to be swept by Belgium and to lose two times against Denmark, it would surely be the biggest failure of all time.
        Last edited by Straight forward; 12-04-2020, 03:01 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• At 34+ all guards numbers went dramatically go down even of the best of them.

Jasikevicius eff went drastically down to in 2011-2012.

By that point of their career they won't provide individual statistics anymore so judge them by that just not right in my view, but what they will provide stability,leadership and iq to the team.

We already have one young head Jokubaitis and one running Lekavicius NT don't the 3rd that does similiar things.We need atleast one adult in that position that run the team without thinking about his stats, but in mind that teams engine would run effectively.

For me judging pg by +- is important stat especially for that position, it shows how team played when you was running the team and were making decisions who will get the ball.

There lots of American type pg that makes stats but +- is bad, for me such pointguards didn't do his primary job: running team effectively.

If pg stat -+ is good he did his primary and most important job.

Comment

• It's just that +- is very unreliable stat. It depends with whom you pay. When Kalnietis spends the most time with playing well Bendzius, Kuzminskas, Birutis, and even Dimsa, it's easier to have better +-. When you have Blazevic and other second liners it's more difficult As for now, sure, Kalnietis deserves his last run and we'll need his experience, he can still be very valuable in some games, but that's about it, he has been bleak in windows. BTW, don't underrate 2012 Jasikevicius, he still was among top dogs easily in preparation stage and in actual qualification games in Venezuela, nailed clutch lay up that gave as a ticket to Olympics. He simply couldn't handle incredible long summer and was already gassed in OG. Comparing the veteranship of average EL player with EL star is out of hand a little bit here...

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Federation confirmed Tomas Giadamavicius as U20 coach, G. Petrauskas as U19 and Z. Urbonas as U18. So Gaidamavicius as the one who logically should be closest to senior NT? I don't see how he could even contend for such thing, his personality is not even resembles that type. Petrauskas, Urbonas? Maybe. On other hand, both seem to be stuck at the same mediocre level. I favour Petrauskas because of his really young age and that he already has a lot of PRO experience, maybe he will eventually turned out to be solid coach, he's only 35 and has been coaching for 7 years now at relevant level. Now probably he'll get Tubelis and Marciulionis into his hands, I don't know about the depth of that possible U19 team, but he has material to make a name for himself.

But overall it's really sad, no stand outs. Kiltinavicius as growing young coach? IDK, to me he looks too soft and not really impressed with what he provides in press conference. Talent wise we may have very interesting decade, but I see only 2 coaches that I want to see in the NT: Jasikevicius and Maksvitis. I hoped I will like Kairys, but he's developing way too opportunistic BB, I lack more of a structure and control. Really would hope that Maksvitis would take the job from wild and crazy experiment called Maskoliunas, and by the time we'll feel NT needs changes with Maksvitis as ruler of NT, Jasikevicius would find motivation to take his shot with NT and that's how 20s would go. That's the only solid path coaching wise I see which would at least adequately match coach and players levels. Usually we have a good team and a random, really way below player's class, coach. It shouldn't be the case and I have no idea why we suck so bad at coaching.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                So Gaidamavicius as the one who logically should be closest to senior NT?
                Must be very new logic

Kairys, Gronskis, Kiltinavicius, Masiulis, Pacesas, Maskvytis, Linartas, Masalskis, Samulenas, Salkus, Kurtinaitis, Butautas.. Doesn't look like list of young coaching studs
                The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• Originally posted by LuDux View Post
                  Must be very new logic

Kairys, Gronskis, Kiltinavicius, Masiulis, Pacesas, Maskvytis, Linartas, Masalskis, Samulenas, Salkus, Kurtinaitis, Butautas.. Doesn't look like list of young coaching studs
                  Indeed.

I think in a perfect world U20 coach would be the one to have NT coaching potential. At least from this list we see Kurtinaitis, Maskvytis.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                    Indeed.

I think in a perfect world U20 coach would be the one to have NT coaching potential. At least from this list we see Kurtinaitis, Maskvytis.
                    But were they considered perspective coaches then they coached u20s? I mean. more perspective than Gaidamavicius or Urbonas
                    The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• Miniotas is balling this season.Was like best lkl player 2020, now went to Spain and balling there too.

I like that he is mobile + strong, decent defender and can make open long shots that's what in theory NT need in pf playing near JV and Domas.

He can be included in that list of candidate list for pf position: Bendzius,Maciulis,Masiulis,Kulboka,Sedekerskis.

By my taste Bendzius,Kulboka,Masiulis are just too soft and bad in defence to pair them with Valanciunas.We can't have both c and pf be bad defenders in same lineups.

This season Im more impressed what Sedekerskis and Miniotas is showing especially in defensive side.Nt needs players that defend well multiple positions.

Comment

• As i understund Miniotas shares Kulboka's position (pf, but in Prienai he played c) and already looks better.

By the way, a bit about Kulboka. A coach Mumbru is like those Lithuanian Barbarian fans who don't follow things and still think that Kulboka is soft.

Last edited by Dreamcatcher; 12-14-2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• I'm busted, Dreamcatcher Kulboka has been sucking this season so to get his ass whooped is a proper thing at this point.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                            Miniotas is balling this season.Was like best lkl player 2020, now went to Spain and balling there too.

I like that he is mobile + strong, decent defender and can make open long shots that's what in theory NT need in pf playing near JV and Domas.

This season Im more impressed what Sedekerskis and Miniotas is showing especially in defensive side.Nt needs players that defend well multiple positions.
                            I agree! Regimantas Miniotas should absolutely, positively be invited to the training camp this spring.

Comment

• Since I love projections, I ate recent Urbonusas very eagerly. I will take some questions that they speculated on, and maybe few of my own for upcoming season:

Will Rytas have a new coach? I don't care, I want new team in Vilnius. Be it new Rytas or completely separate project.
                              Where Grigonis will next season? IMO, where the best money will happen, but it should be legitimate top 8 EL team.
                              Will Saras win the trophy? Possible, but to me Barsa still lacks some shaper corners here and there as a team. More like no.
                              Will Maskoliunas continue to coach? I hope he will in a sense that it would mean he passed Eurobasket and Olympic qualification (like no Doncic and Lithuania simply much sgtronger...). I would rather see NT being poorly coached in OG or even Eurobasket 2022, instead of having Maskoliunas gone and NT out of these tournaments which would be all time biggest catastrophe ever. Other than that, Maskoliunas has been complete trash and he's not even close being serious head coach.
                              Will Zalgiris reach top 8? Logic says NO, guts says YES.
                              Who will be a president of federation? This one to me is specially relevant and I hate not to see a guy that I could truly support. We hear names Javtokas, Milasius, Butautas. I don't truly trust any of them, but I would choose Javtokas of all three because he has been working under Saras and could learn some and he's youngest. However, I don't see any mind that I would trust really.
                              Will Jokubaitis be drafted in the first round? No, he won't. He's an elite EL prospect, but as NBA prospect he's a second rounder, IMO.
                              Will Domantas Sabonis make ALL NBA TEAM? No, but he will be very close and would be a flat out ALL STAR for second time in a row, but there won't be AS weekend this season.

I would add this question:

Who would be NT head coach after Maskoliunas? If Saras not available, I would want Maksvytis and from the older coaches I would be more or less satisfied with Kemzura. It would be at least decent option and we would be more or less on Adomaitis soil. I still remember how spot on our NT looked in 2010 at both ends of the floor and with increasing quality of NT Kemzura could do pretty well, IMO. And he has been working at adequate level recently, a stint with OLY and Turkish team. I feel like over all Kemzura had pretty good Olympic circle with NT and he comes as the one from older coaches as deseving a second chance (to me Kurtinaitis is too washed out and old school, plus some players don't like him).

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Most likely it will be Maksvytis, in federation they are still high about him and he will be free next summer. Unless of course wind of changes will blow and we will have new president, new management and so on, then who knows. That's the worst thing nowadays, cause there's simply no one who could replace Sabas. We can hate him or love him as president, his communication way with media never was and never will be good, but person of his status is pretty much irreplaceable. The real face of LT bball, respected and known all around the world. He did lot of things, some went unnoticed, some things could've been done better, but what's really important - he cared about LT bball. That's a rare thing nowadays, when lot of people simply are looking for personal interest. Also person like Sabas kept all these sly fckers away from basketball federation. We didn't go to the path of football or some other sports federations run by criminals. But Sabas is simply tired. I still have a little hope tho, that this a bit less busy year will force him to change his mind, change those regulations where a person is available to stay as president for two cycles, but quite unlikely to happen IMO. I'd like some Kazlauskas to take over, smart, respected person, but he seems not to be interested. Marciulionis was great player, but always had contraversial reputation in bussiness and bball things after his career was over. Javtokas... I don't know, I always had a feeling that he is simply a great person, loved by everyone and so on, but is he really suitable to be president? Unless he will have a good, experienced team beside him. The same Spokas could try, but the last time I heard about it, he never really was high about that idea, more like stay in current position, maybe wwith the same Javtokas, but didn't have a chance to get fresh info due all this pandemic crap.
                                Other things, I didn't listen to podcast, don't like it and don't rate it, but regarding Rytas, they need new owner, new management first of all, not a new coach, cause maybe Kairys is failing, but he was pushed into some chaos right from the start. As we get to know things these days that coach wasn't even able to sign the players he wanted, some players were simply signed by management and coach was almost the last to know lol... Typical Rytas stuff. Open contracts with key players... watafak. Add to it injuries, covid... I'd give a chance for coach to work under normal circumstances, start of the season wasn't that bad afterall, but all that crap in headquarters must end, there's simply no common work, common ideas.
                                Grigonis will leave IMO, his value is simply too high for Zalgiris. I don't know what should happen for him to stay? Economical crisis around Europe, no strong team will need a player of his profile, show interest and pay big money? Grigonis will want another season for less money? Quite unlikely scenarios. Regarding Po chances of Zalgiris, I think we'll fail short, some two wins short to get into PO.
                                While Saras and trophies... if rosters will stay the same like nowadays, Real won't bring any big name at PG and will stay with Tyus as back-up C. I think Barca will win ACB. In series they simply should be stronger. Regarding EL, in series I'd see them also beating CSKA, Real, I think Barca still has the biggest room to grow and they are in learning process, but in one game... hard to tell now

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information