Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1261

Thread: 2020 Lithuanian NT: in a chase of Olympic dream

  1. #1061
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,428
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Lithuanians have funny tendency to make jokes of Lamelo It's not about you, but generally "oh, that guy who shoots from the chest from mid court line?" The dude is a beast of a player. Super lengthy, super skilled, moves incredibly for his size, extreme feeling for the game...There is a reason why he had to be No.1 pick and why he's by far best rookie this season.

    Anyway, I agree that Doncic should provide at FIBA to prove that he's absolute GOAT.

    Yeah, we should respect Poland as well. Well coached, sticked together for years, and if Ponitka is out it's a huuuugeeee blow for them.
    It was not a joke on Lamelo, but bash on nowadays soft and easy going NBA and why I'm not taking it that serious anymore. I'm totally not surprised that he is doing that good there, it was obvious that he has some skills even in his teen stint in Prienai. Current NBA is way more of show off league, where it's easy to score, assist, create, make a big stats and you have everything settled for that. I talk not about useless defense only, but even the way assists are counted at times there is such a huge joke, just to make it all look better in headlines...


  2. #1062
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    It was not a joke on Lamelo, but bash on nowadays soft and easy going NBA and why I'm not taking it that serious anymore. I'm totally not surprised that he is doing that good there, it was obvious that he has some skills even in his teen stint in Prienai. Current NBA is way more of show off league, where it's easy to score, assist, create, make a big stats and you have everything settled for that. I talk not about useless defense only, but even the way assists are counted at times there is such a huge joke, just to make it all look better in headlines...
    Meanwhile in good old times
    https://deadspin.com/the-confessions...keeper-5345287

  3. #1063

    Default

    Personally, I have no problem with NBA stats. Also, it's true that NBA went towards offense. How many guys at the end of the day would substitute offense with defence? With age I enjoy defence more and more, but I have to admit that it's offense that made me to fall in love with basketball. It's how Marciulionis could explode with his first step, Sabonis' touch passes, Jasikevicius elegant court vision, ect. Offense at the end of the day is the key and NBA did it right thing. It's not show, IMO. This trivial word is bad. The thing is that in offensive minded NBA circles elite offensive minded basketball. Oh, it's easy to score now...Does in mean than now it's easier to win titles? Off course not. And even defensive side is always stepping up in PO. Euro fans forger that NBA is 48min ball game with a crazy schedule. I have no problem with any form of BB, it's just contextual, circumstances are different in NBA and you find beauty under these circumstances, but if you jump from EL for one or two random games, you'll be shocked and you won't get it That doesn't mean that absolutely best basketball players and athletes are not being unleashed almost every day for a ball game in the NBA. That's a real thing.

    Also I don't see what's the fuzz about assists now. It's not like Russ and Harden's 11apg shocks the world looking retrospectively. Not even close. I see Stockton with 14,5apg (89/90), I see Magic and I. Thomas with 13apg in 80s. Hell, I see Oscar Robertson with 12apg in 60s. 90's actually exceeds current numbers of assists. It's not all that simple. It's not like any scrub now can provide 10apg. And, yeah, there is D in the NBA even in the regular season. There's a reason why prime Jasikevicius couldn't guard nobody in the regular season of the NBA, or some prime Kuz.

    In other words, you either dig it deep and understand NBA or you better don't watch at all and not evaluate at all. IMO. Personally, I love to watch how Doncic or say Curry is playing, you have no idea what will they be doing and they simple improvise. It's much different than EL where set offense dominates. I like both forms and find beauty in it.

    Anyway, Gudaits sprained his ankle. Hopefully it's just that and nothing more serious.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 04-22-2021 at 12:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  4. #1064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Again Sedekerskis will have to prove that he is better than Butkevicius and more usefull to this team as role player thats not given .Tadas had better season ok and looks more seriuos candidate,but when we gonna put them at same gym we will see everything which one fits better with our main players.
    I disagree. Sedekerskis stepping up at the very right time. He's a big, muscular body at the position of need. The door is pretty much open because of that. You (and obviously Pulkovskis, who doesn't see positional difference between Ulanovas and Sedekerskis somehow...) missing the point that we badly lacking power forwards. Jankunas in 2019 was horrible, nothing less. Sabonis was decent and that's the only decent player we had at 4. So what Sedekerskis is providing is super vital potentially for this 2021 team. Another thing, both Ulanovas and Butkevicius are 199cm. While Sedekerskis is 204cm with a long wingspan, all ripped, much more physically explosive. He can be a force at 4, those other 2 can't. Difference and partially you agree with that. Now who is better Ulanovas or Butkevicius? IMO, there's no doubt Ulanovas still better. Do we need Butkevicius who is more limited version of Ulanovas? IDK. The problem to me with Butkevicius, that he didn't particularly proved that he can be valuable piece against elite teams. He had a good game against decent, but nothing special Canada, but his impact wasn't felt against Australia and France. Sometimes you portrait him as a stopper at the backcourt, but both Fournier and Mills exploded against us, no problem. Anyway, personally I have no absolutely right piece for that 12th spot. Butkevicius is a fighter and I like him, but do we need him when we have Ulanovas, Kuzminskas and R. Giedraitis who can play 3 as well? Maciulis is very so so now, even more washed out than he was in 2019, and do we need his anger attacks after his own defensive mistakes? Bendzius is super soft at defensive end. Kariniauskas is out. Dimsa is average. Velicka probably a bit too raw.

    Personally I don't actually mind to see Butkevicius making it. At least fresh legs and 100% hustle is guaranteed. But I have no perfect piece essentially. I have these 11 and the last is just hanging on an air:

    Lekavicius, Kalnietis, Jokubaitis
    Grigonis, R.Giedraitis
    Ulanovas, Kuzminskas
    Sabonis, Sedekerskis
    Valanciunas, Gudaitis
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  5. #1065
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,428
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Personally, I have no problem with NBA stats.
    You can say that's it's not a big deal, nor I care too much either as non follower or fan, but there's a problem actually. How can you rely on any stats when they are simply that inaccurate? Assist is given while there was no assist. Ok, maybe different standards, but actually since I was betting on it here and there, I could spot that the same situations at times are valued differently. Anyway, most of these assists wouldn't counted even in current international bball scene, where it's also more liberal nowadays.

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Also, it's true that NBA went towards offense. How many guys at the end of the day would substitute offense with defence? With age I enjoy defence more and more, but I have to admit that it's offense that made me to fall in love with basketball. It's how Marciulionis could explode with his first step, Sabonis' touch passes, Jasikevicius elegant court vision, ect. Offense at the end of the day is the key and NBA did it right thing. It's not show, IMO. This trivial word is bad. The thing is that in offensive minded NBA circles elite offensive minded basketball. Oh, it's easy to score now...Does in mean than now it's easier to win titles? Off course not. And even defensive side is always stepping up in PO. Euro fans forger that NBA is 48min ball game with a crazy schedule. I have no problem with any form of BB, it's just contextual, circumstances are different in NBA and you find beauty under these circumstances, but if you jump from EL for one or two random games, you'll be shocked and you won't get it That doesn't mean that absolutely best basketball players and athletes are not being unleashed almost every day for a ball game in the NBA. That's a real thing.
    I absolutely love the offense, but I appreciate the offense which actually beats defense or regular basis, not only scores at almost any given try without being much troubled. I lack that in current NBA badly, simple more effort defensivelly. All that Lithuanian golden generation was great in offense and everyone loved that, but they had to sweat to score too, in every game, almost every possession. Marciulionis/Sabas also did it all via hard work, double/triple defense, not some running in open court. That's the offense I love. That's the real thing. It's not even comparable to nowadays NBA regular season game. You are simply fooling yourself with such comparisons. But I'm ok if you like current NBA, that's your taste, your choice and etc. And I'm not gonna try to change your view.

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Also I don't see what's the fuzz about assists now. It's not like Russ and Harden's 11apg shocks the world looking retrospectively. Not even close. I see Stockton with 14,5apg (89/90), I see Magic and I. Thomas with 13apg in 80s. Hell, I see Oscar Robertson with 12apg in 60s. 90's actually exceeds current numbers of assists. It's not all that simple. It's not like any scrub now can provide 10apg. And, yeah, there is D in the NBA even in the regular season. There's a reason why prime Jasikevicius couldn't guard nobody in the regular season of the NBA, or some prime Kuz.
    I can't tell about 60s NBA, never watch it except highlights, but I wrote about current stats "cheats". Maybe there were some before too, but it wasn't that obvious as much as I watched the game in 00s and used to follow it and bet on it. While Jasikevicius played in NBA almost 20 years ago. That NBA was much more physical, average scoring was probably some 10-15ppg lower than now. That was still the NBA I liked

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    In other words, you either dig it deep and understand NBA or you better don't watch at all and not evaluate at all. IMO. Personally, I love to watch how Doncic or say Curry is playing, you have no idea what will they be doing and they simple improvise. It's much different than EL where set offense dominates. I like both forms and find beauty in it.
    I understand NBA well enough and understand where it's heading, I simply don't like it. Simple as that. Yeah, I know it's subjective, but just not my cup of beer. I appreciate individual talent, but I love more team oriented game, passion for the game, competitiveness. Even nowadays EL is going to wrong direction IMO with regular season games matter less and less. I enjoyed it much more with older formats when every game was a real dog fight


  6. #1066
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,693
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Anyway, Gudaits sprained his ankle. Hopefully it's just that and nothing more serious.
    Yes, hopefully not. All in all a dreadful day for Team Lietuva from that standpoint. Artūras Gudaitis limping off the court, Vaidas Kariniauskas out for the season after breaking his hand, Tadas Sedekerskis diagnosed with COVID-19, Jonas Valančiūnas still out with a concussion and Domantas Sabonis still out with a sore back.

    Last edited by Hepcat; 04-22-2021 at 03:52 PM.

  7. #1067

    Default

    Couple of things. Mavs gonna be in PO, no doubt, but they will get their hands full in the first round. They may move to the second round, but it's very tough. Second round probably means no Doncic and the same goes for our guys as well. Grizzlies may snatch that 8th spot where they stand now, but they are going down in the PO, I have no doubt, it's just that West is nasty and they are not going to take down first team of the conference, even if that would be Suns. Pacers on other hand looks off and completely unpredictable, might not even make PO, and that would be good news for us, as fresh Domas would be a beast in the Kaunas.

    Now, I respect Jovaisa, his insights are usually spot on, down to earth and no bullshit. R. Paulauskas on other hand is completely lost usually, and sometimes to amazing extent. Both however completely went off Sedekerskis in their projections of OQR. Even such name as G. Masiulis is mentioned. I mean, do they even watch Euroleague? I understand Jovaisa may be busy, but Paulauskas pretty much lives from BB commentating Call me hater, but I don't understand how people who suppose to follow basketball can have such holes in their carriage. Unjustifiable. Now to hair Motiejunas name is also seems to be very awkward. He is a living dead at the defensive end, he barely moves. If he couldn't guard B teams of Belgium and Czech Rep how he will running after mobile Slovenia team? Actually, the question who would be second center if Domas and JV wouldn't show up is legit, but I seen enough that D-Mo doesn't even try anymore at D end, that would be a disaster. IMO, if both NBA bigs out, I see Geben and Echodas as main candidates and Tubelis should be in the camp. Also I guess this interview is taken prior Kariniauskas' injury.

    Looking forward to see how many and who Maskoliunas gonna invite. I guess it's coming at the end of the month, but not later than June 6 I suppose.

    https://www.krepsiniozinios.lt/nauji...-rinktine.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  8. #1068
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,591
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    As always if somebody opinion is different from expert they don't watch and don't understand basketball

    I totally agree with those 10 locks they both agreed on.

    Last 2 places should be ones that fits with main players and adds special skillset what is missing not overall best 11 or 12 th player in the camp .

    Right now early favourites for last 2 spots is Sedekerskis and Maciulis for diffrent reasons, but they will have to prove that to Bendzius,Butkevicius,Dimsa that they can give more in those helpers role.

  9. #1069
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,591
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Our main opponents trying to get Pascual as head coach, but he is euroleague coach, so I guess offer is only for Olympic summer.

    Our federation could try convince with same offer in last minute Jasikevicius too.

    It's seems Morgan is out with injury from qualification.

    But still Slovenia federation will try to naturalise somebody else in 1,5 month remaining period .

  10. #1070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    I totally agree with those 10 locks they both agreed on.
    What 10 locks? Again your eternal problem. You can't read or read what you want to imagine there I'll help you.

    Jovaisa's roster is:

    Kalnietis, Lekavicius, Kariniauskas
    Grigonis, Jokubaitis
    Ulanovas, Giedraitis
    Sabonis, Kuzminskas
    Valanciunas, Gudaitis

    He's undecided on 12th spot.

    R. Paulauskas' roster:

    Kalnietis, Lekavicius,
    Grigonis, Jokubaitis, Giedraitis
    Ulanovas, Kuzminskas
    Sabonis, Maciulis
    Valanciunas, Gudaitis

    Thinks that Dimsa, Jankunas, Masiulis might be in the puzzle.

    It's not about who agrees with who's opinion, it's about having objective palette in the perspective of most quality options. Not to even mention Sedekerskis at this point is ridiculous. I understand that some "Jonas, Petras" on krp.net can forget such piece, but from experts such mistakes are unjustifiable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  11. #1071
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,591
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    they both agreed that 10 players:

    Kalnietis,Lekavicius,Jokubaitis,Grigonis,Giedraiti s,Ulanovas,Kuzminskas,Sabonis,Valanciunas,Gudaitis should be on team.

    From ltu fans it will be hard to find ones also that will not include those 10 players in our NT 2021. Usually that called locks.


    Before trying to help me could u atleast try to count to 10 ?
    Last edited by Shawshank; 05-04-2021 at 05:41 PM.

  12. #1072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    they both agreed that 10 players:

    Kalnietis,Lekavicius,Jokubaitis,Grigonis,Giedraiti s,Ulanovas,Kuzminskas,Sabonis,Valanciunas,Gudaitis should be on team.

    From ltu fans it will be hard to find ones also that will not include those 10 players in our NT 2021. Usually that called locks.


    Before trying to help me could u atleast try to count to 10 ?
    Oh, that's what you meant. My bad. Sure, those 10 are locks, I agree. I also have Sedekerskis as a lock so I have 11.

    To me only last piece is unknown and I think it should be between Butkevicius, Maciulis and Brazdeikis if he will continue to make some noise in NBA. I hate that none is at the moment exactly a stud and Olympic roster is too precious to reserve a spot for "so so" kinda player. On other hand, that last spot will be far from as pathetic as Prekevicius in 2008 or Kariniauskas/Javtokas in 2016. Pretty complete roster and almost all guys are legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  13. #1073
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,591
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Oh, that's what you meant. My bad. Sure, those 10 are locks, I agree. I also have Sedekerskis as a lock so I have 11.

    To me only last piece is unknown and I think it should be between Butkevicius, Maciulis and Brazdeikis if he will continue to make some noise in NBA. I hate that none is at the moment exactly a stud and Olympic roster is too precious to reserve a spot for "so so" kinda player. On other hand, that last spot will be far from as pathetic as Prekevicius in 2008 or Kariniauskas/Javtokas in 2016. Pretty complete roster and almost all guys are legit.
    Thats your opinion.They and I dont see Sedekerskis as lock. I can see him making NT ,but he will have to prove that in the camp.Good 3 months never locked anybodys place in NT.It takes more than that to become a sure deal lock in our NT.

    I think its getting clear Brazdeikis will not get citizenship in time for Olympics.

    I feel its smart desicion,why to upset young kid from diffrent culture that can take it personally when Nt gonna cut him in 2021,when we can try call him when new Olympic cycle begins next year and see what he got at 23.

  14. #1074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    I think its getting clear Brazdeikis will not get citizenship in time for Olympics.

    I feel its smart desicion,why to upset young kid from diffrent culture that can take it personally when Nt gonna cut him in 2021,when we can try call him when new Olympic cycle begins next year and see what he got at 23.
    Yes, most probable scenario. I wouldn't be much disappointed not to see him in the camp. His time will come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  15. #1075
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,693
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    they both agreed that 10 players:

    Kalnietis,Lekavicius,Jokubaitis,Grigonis,Giedraiti s,Ulanovas,Kuzminskas,Sabonis,Valanciunas,Gudaitis should be on team.

    From ltu fans it will be hard to find ones also that will not include those 10 players in our NT 2021. Usually that called locks.
    I have a lot of trouble with the concept of designating a twenty year old as a "lock". For whatever reason a lot of you fellows want to roll out the red carpet for Rokas Jokubaitis just because he's played as a substitute in Euroleague. Me though I cling to the old fashioned notion that a rookie must actually earn his way onto Team Lietuva by demonstrating that he's more ready to play than certain veterans.


  16. #1076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    I have a lot of trouble with the concept of designating a twenty year old as a "lock". For whatever reason a lot of you fellows want to roll out the red carpet for Rokas Jokubaitis just because he's played as a substitute in Euroleague. Me though I cling to the old fashioned notion that a rookie must actually earn his way onto Team Lietuva by demonstrating that he's more ready to play than certain veterans.

    The answer is simple, Hepact. You didn't see enough of Jokubaitis
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  17. #1077

    Default

    Ignas Brazdeikis officially Lithuanian again. Now federation still has to deal with FIBA (cause Iggy played for Canada in youth tournaments) and we might see him in Kaunas camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  18. #1078
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,693
    Country: Canada

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Last 2 places should be ones that fits with main players and adds special skillset what is missing not overall best 11 or 12 th player in the camp.

    Right now early favourites for last 2 spots is Sedekerskis and Maciulis for diffrent reasons, but they will have to prove that to Bendzius,Butkevicius,Dimsa that they can give more in those helpers role.
    You've stated previously that you woudn't want Lukas Lekavičius out on the floor during critical moments because he's targeted on defence by opposing coaches. Why then isn't Žygimantas Janavičius on your list of players with special skillsets? Janavičius I understand is a capable defender as well as playmaker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    The answer is simple, Hepcat. You didn't see enough of Jokubaitis
    Well then that should also be evident in training camp. I say bring in Arnas Velička and Žygimantas Janavičius and let them all compete for that extra guard slot.


  19. #1079
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    882
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Janavičius is capable defender in LKL only. I don't think he should be even mentioned here.

  20. #1080

    Default

    If Brazdeikis in, I have my pre- camp 12 men unit. That 12 spot would be occupied by a player who would be "so so" anyway as I said, and Brazdeikis is very likely one the future keys of the NT. His offensive talent is undeniable and that alone is worth risking a little bit and giving Ignas some credit, besides I believe he might already be objectively best last piece. So here's my roster and I believe this is probably most optimal roster one can fix for 2021 both qualification and Olympics. No complete washouts. The lowest level is Eurocup, but those are pretty much elite pieces of Eurocup in Kalnietis and Kuzminskas. 10 pieces would be all EL/NBA.

    Lekavicius, Kalnietis, Jokubaitis
    Grigonis, Giedraitis
    Ulanovas, Kuzminskas, Brazdeikis
    Sabonis, Sedekerskis
    Valanciunas, Gudaitis
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •