Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Lithuanian Basketball League (LKL) 2019-20

  1. #1
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,860

    Default Lithuanian Basketball League (LKL) 2019-20

    Changes in new season:

    Semifinal back to best of 5 If some will go far in Euro tournaments playoffs may be shortened

    Coaches will have to pay for unfairly criticizing referees

    Karalius Mindaugas Cup will be extended from 14 to 16 teams
    Last edited by LuDux; 09-17-2019 at 02:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    798
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Content to be added
    No content needed... Five days to go, cant wait....

  3. #3

    Default

    Here's my take on Rytas since I already have seen the team, except Cruz. Here's the rotation I see:

    Holloway, Bickauskis
    Cruz, Girdziunas, Sirvydis, (Giedraitis)
    Butkevicius, Sirvydis, (Jarumbauskas)
    Bairstaw, Bendzius (Tubutis, Tubelis)
    Echodas, Kairys, Blazevic

    I think PG section improved. Both solid players for current Rytas. SG section is promising because Cruz might probably be even best perimeter player of Rytas likely, Girdziunas can still shoot the lights out in some games, but I really hope that Sirvydis will be competitive enough to test even both of these players and to be the man who steals the show in some games. Giedraitis won't play much, he's not that much ready. SF position is solid with Butkevicius being of of the teams MVPs. Sirvydis will have his minutes here, so hopefully Adomaitis will use him both as SG and SF. PF is still the crappiest position just like last season. I didn't like what see in Bairstaw. Sure some physical presence and Rytas needed that, but lanky movement, limited skillset, hopefully I'm wrong. Bendzius irritates me, I'm starting to be sick of his chucking. Crappy defence and chucking, that's what you get. I would part ways with him, would have gone for some Sedekerskis aggressively, but well he can shoot the lights out in some games, but PF position sucks, IMO. Center position is solid, Echodas should have an edge already, but Kairys is a solid big as well and probably abit better defensively ATM. Talented youngster Blazevic will have his word in some games, IMO, and that's nice. Overall I think this team should be more or less at the same level as last season (probably a bit less), depends on how good are Holloway and Cruz.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  4. #4
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,149
    Country: Canada

    Post

    Here's how Neptūnas looks right now:

    Depth Chart

    Pos.
    C Andre Williamson, Simas Galdikas
    PF Gytis Masiulis, Osvaldas Olisevičius
    SF Tadas Sedekerskis, Džiugas Slavinskas
    SG Deividas Gailius, Tomas Delininkaitis, Aidas Einikis
    PG Žygimantas Janavičius, Darrin Dorsey, Tadas Pažėra


  5. #5
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Here's how Neptūnas looks right now:

    Depth Chart

    Pos.
    C/ Andre Williamson, Simas Galdikas
    PF Gytis Masiulis, Osvaldas Olisevičius
    SF Tadas Sedekerskis, Tadas Jogėla, Džiugas Slavinskas
    SG Deividas Gailius, Tomas Delininkaitis, Aidas Einikis
    PG Žygimantas Janavičius, Darrin Dorsey, Tadas Pažėra

    FTFY



    5/4: Galdikas Williamson(replaces Grant) Masiulis
    Last season Grant started in great form because he played through the summer. For same reason he ran out of fuel at the end. Luckily it's when Masiulis exploded. Andre is much more earth-bound, but seems to be better shooter and passer. Masiulis will be Neptunas' top-2 scorer at worst

    4/3: Olisevičius, Slavinskas, Sedekerskis(Kisielius),
    No real PF here, but 4 combo forwards, some with some guard skills, potential for coast-to-coast attacks. Traditionally in Neptunas schemes SF is not very important position offensively, so no pressure

    3/2: Jogėla, Gailius, Einikis(>Beliauskas), Delininkaitis
    Did Delininkaitis inspire Scola? Usually Gaiius' EFF average is close to PPG, except in last playoffs. maybe he found his best position at last. Einikis looks like more confident shooter plus he won't be forced to split between PG and SG positions. Jogėla doesn't really fill any gap that I can see, but I guess you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, even if it's not gift horse but real signing for two years

    PG: Janavičius(> Dambrauskas), Dorsey(~Williams), Pažėra(double license???)
    At big defensive slashing PG position Janavičius signing improves playmaking and shooting and is obvious upgrade. At PG Who Can Really Shoot position it's hard to tell if Dorsey will be better floor genmeral than Williams. Pažėra will most likely be 13th player.

    Coaches. it's hard to find adequate replacement for Maskvytis, but I have no reason to believe Rinkevicius will be bad one. Hopefully he finds a way to eliminate traditional Maskvytis mid-season crisises. And it's not like he will have to work with new untested roster. Pretty comfortable way to start head-coaching career.

    I think Neptunas clearly improved at 3 maybe even 4 out of 5 position. I expect more fast breaks especially with Masiulis at C. when you have 5 players

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Default

    Even if with the strangest performance in the world Sedekerskis happened to be among most efficient players of his team, I don't agree that's the mentality he should continue with. Or should he? The guy who can hustle, rebound, steal, block, assist for 25 minutes without any touches and shots in the game. Anyway, IMHO, there's 5 things with Sedekerskis: 1 he's 4 who waste his time in the corners which is not his game, 2 he has to change mentality 3 he's raw and out of rhythm offensively and will need time to get on track again, 4 he may be an injury prone, but hopefully just a sore muscles this time

    Sirvydis is the one with the best off season by far. How much he added in terms of being a new athlete and defender, it's pretty incredible. Can't really care abut his numbers, he's marching forward with giants steps. I would want to see more minutes though. I can only dream imagining Jasikevicius handling Sirvydis. That would be a blossom.

    Velicka looked messy, but showed some glimpses of what's coming up.

    Most pleasant performance today - Jogela. Seems like he wasn't sleeping all summer long. If only he would improve his three point shooting and defence, he would be a legit SG/SF. Still has plenty of time to do that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  8. #8
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,149
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Rytas - Eurocup
    Neptunas - FIBA Champions League regular season
    Lietkabelis - FIBA Champions League 2nd qualifying round, will have to beat Cyprus or Denmark club to qualify to regular season

    Some clubs got offers to participate in FIBA Europe Cup, but refused
    Hmmmmm. I wonder why not? The LKL isn't enough, and with the Baltic Basketball League being defunct there's nowhere else for them to play.


  9. #9
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,608
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Hmmmmm. I wonder why not? The LKL isn't enough, and with the Baltic Basketball League being defunct there's nowhere else for them to play.

    Financially too costly, you spend too much without getting almost anything back and level there is really low


  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    1,982
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    CBet is an interesting team to follow as it has one of the best Lith prospect Velicka, another prospect and a hot shooter Uleckas and Varnas who used to be one of the best talents and i believe he's still can be a good player even if it's obvious he won't reach his potential. The team lacks more stronger players and depth though. But still could make a game against Rytas more closier so it could end in another way if not a great game by Kairys who dominated the first half and ended with 24 pts (36 EFF) in only 17 pts. Echodas played a bit more and ended with -3 EFF. I don't see Echodas's improvement in Rytas for a big while. He's really playing not well. Maybe he should have gone somewhere else and it could have happened better than it is like Giedraitis going to Alba.

  11. #11
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    Kairys went 8/8 from the field today and 6/6 in first game. In last 3 games of previous season he made all 4 shots and in game before that he made his last two shots. So it's 20 straight made field goals streak

  12. #12
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    CBet is an interesting team to follow as it has one of the best Lith prospect Velicka, another prospect and a hot shooter Uleckas and Varnas who used to be one of the best talents and i believe he's still can be a good player even if it's obvious he won't reach his potential. The team lacks more stronger players and depth though. But still could make a game against Rytas more closier so it could end in another way if not a great game by Kairys who dominated the first half and ended with 24 pts (36 EFF) in only 17 pts. Echodas played a bit more and ended with -3 EFF. I don't see Echodas's improvement in Rytas for a big while. He's really playing not well. Maybe he should have gone somewhere else and it could have happened better than it is like Giedraitis going to Alba.
    To follow Giedraitis example he has two wait 3 more seasons before leaving

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Varnas who used to be one of the best talents and i believe he's still can be a good player
    To me he's the biggest downfall and disappointment in recent years. I had him as an important puzzle peace in NT at SG. In Youth basketball he was pretty much a standout. Not only he could score, but he was elevating for some ridiculous offensive rebounds as he used to be a great leaper, as a guard was grabbing 6rppg, also could play p'n'r and to generate 5apg. He played the right way and could fly for some reverse allay ups. His shot was also softer and not so flat, he used to be a great spot up shooter. Unfortunately bulking up meant the obvious decline of athleticism, explosiveness, even his shot is flatter now, he can't even hit FTs consistently. So to me he's the saddest case and the biggest prospect lose in last 4 years. If he had brought what he had as 16-18yo at Youth BB to PROs, we would have a diamond at 2. But looks good this season, can't see why he wouldn't reach some Gailius or Juskevicius level if he will continue to be hard worker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  14. #14

    Default

    How about Lekavicius' 6 assists in 14 minutes? It's only Siauliai, but a little guy will be good for Zalgiris this season. And you can feel from Jasikevicius how he's happy to have him back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    1,982
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    To me he's the biggest downfall and disappointment in recent years. I had him as an important puzzle peace in NT at SG. In Youth basketball he was pretty much a standout. Not only he could score, but he was elevating for some ridiculous offensive rebounds as he used to be a great leaper, as a guard was grabbing 6rppg, also could play p'n'r and to generate 5apg. He played the right way and could fly for some reverse allay ups. His shot was also softer and not so flat, he used to be a great spot up shooter. Unfortunately bulking up meant the obvious decline of athleticism, explosiveness, even his shot is flatter now, he can't even hit FTs consistently. So to me he's the saddest case and the biggest prospect lose in last 4 years. If he had brought what he had as 16-18yo at Youth BB to PROs, we would have a diamond at 2. But looks good this season, can't see why he wouldn't reach some Gailius or Juskevicius level if he will continue to be hard worker.
    Yes, i agree. I wrote that not once - he was a top3 Lith talent and of course it's disappointing.

  16. #16
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,608
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    How about Lekavicius' 6 assists in 14 minutes? It's only Siauliai, but a little guy will be good for Zalgiris this season. And you can feel from Jasikevicius how he's happy to have him back.
    You don't need to feel it, it was known for months, but these 6 assists vs Siauliai means absolutely nothing talking about season perspective, just to make you feel good about your favorite


  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    You don't need to feel it, it was known for months, but these 6 assists vs Siauliai means absolutely nothing talking about season perspective, just to make you feel good about your favorite
    It does. The guy simply playing good basketball, just as he did in NT. My point was that I expect a bit more than he provided in last season with Zalgiris and that was pretty good season for him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  18. #18
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,149
    Country: Canada

    Question

    So what is it that Marius Grigonis hurt today? Hopefully his ankle as opposed to his knee.


  19. #19
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    Neptunas in mid-season form

  20. #20
    Senior Member Svajunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    798
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Anyone planing to go to Zalgiris - Cbet on sunday?

    Wouldn't mind sharing a beer and talking about basketball with someone from here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •