View Poll Results: How does the game end?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spain wins comfortably

11 84.62%
  • Spain wins after a close game

2 15.38%
  • Poland wins comfortably

0 0%
  • Poland wins after a close game

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [QuarterFinals] Spain - Poland

Default [QuarterFinals] Spain - Poland

Sep 10th, Tuesday, 9:00pm China time, 3:00pm CET.

Spain is coming out of a statement win, and is the clear favorite. Poland on the other hand has probably no pressure, and can play relaxed to get a historic win.
    what kind of a game do you expect to see?
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Either a blowout, or a 7-10 points win for Spain while resting their main players.

I expect a similar game as against Iran, Puerto Rico or Italy. Poland isn't worse than any of these teams and has no reason to hold back anything. On the other hand Spain will need to save energy for a very tough semifinal game, and if we're focusing on that next game instead of Poland's we may find ourselves in trouble.

Don't want to fake modesty: Spain is hugely favored to win this one and a Poland's side win would be a major upset. But QFs scare me. There's an old sports song in Spain which originally had this (pretty stupid) lyrics: "¡A por ellos, oe!" (translation: "Go for them, oe!") which was written for one of the football NTs which of course failed to have any success. The lyrics were then ironically changed to "¡Hasta cuartos, oe! ¡Y con suerte, oe, oe!" (translation: "Up to quarterfinals, oe! And then if lucky, oe, oe!"), and this version has remained in use ever since to mock any NT which fails to meet expectations.

So, hoping for another great game led by MVP Claver; but at the same time fearing a fuckup like in previous World Cup editions.
    Last edited by Darrell Armstrong; 09-10-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    So, hoping for another great game led by MVP Claver; but at the same time fearing a fuckup like in previous World Cup editions.
    I was absolutely skeptical about his role before the tournament and now the only thing i can do is to take my hat off. His defensive effort and commitment has been admirable.

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichMohr View Post
    I was absolutely skeptical about his role before the tournament and now the only thing i can do is to take my hat off. His defensive effort and commitment has been admirable.
    Best of all, he has unbelievably good chemistry with both Marc and Juancho. One of the better frontcourts of the tournament, at least in defence.

Spain should win by a lot, so that means they'll be inexplicably trailing at halftime.
    Pistons: 2019-2020 Blow it up, just blow it all up.

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Spain and Poland have plenty history in basketball. I will mention two knock-out games between in the last decade.

The first was for Eurobasket 2009. Poland was the host, they had good team with Gortat as a leader (he was just starting to play well at NBA) and and Logan as naturalized. On the other hand Spain lost from Serbia in the first game. After they went on the edge against Great Britain (Deng was present) and they won after overtime Slovenia (Smodis, Dragic, Lakovic). In the first game they lost from Turkey annd the match against the hosts was like a knock-out. Spain won easily (90-68) and from that game they built their dynasty in European basketball. Spain was an excellent team but that game was the beginning. I remeber that the burdon on Spanish players after the 2007 final was huge.

The second game was 2015 knock-out match in Lille. Spain was the favourite and although Poland fought hard (30 minutes), in the end Spain prevailed (80-66). That game was the final game Gortat with Poland and was the first major tournament for Poland under Mike Taylor guidance.

Since then Poland matured, the core of the team remains the same and now they are facing their biggest challenge of their careers. Slaughter, Ponitka, Waczynski, Cel, Kulig and Koszarek are all together from that game (2015) and all have shown loyalty.

I see this game as a +15 points for Spain. Poland has nothing to lose but Spain can handle them.

Quote Originally Posted by soulis79 View Post
    The first was for Eurobasket 2009. Poland was the host, they had good team with Gortat as a leader (he was just starting to play well at NBA) and and Logan as naturalized. On the other hand Spain lost from Serbia in the first game. After they went on the edge against Great Britain (Deng was present) and they won after overtime Slovenia (Smodis, Dragic, Lakovic). In the first game they lost from Turkey annd the match against the hosts was like a knock-out. Spain won easily (90-68) and from that game they built their dynasty in European basketball.
    I clearly remember that game. Spain had played very poorly (and some think our so-so first round was because we miss our Golden Boys) and had just flipped the switch midway the second quarter of the previous game against an unusually weak Lithuania. Lithuania was winning by double digits and we were out of the tournament. Suddenly we started playing like our lives depended on it (in a sense, it did) and kept that momentum throughout the rest of the tournament. Against Poland we didn't fully believe Lithuania's game wasn't a mirage until the game started and we blew them out of the water. France and Greece had more faith than I did, and one day earlier had "played" for the honor of facing Spain in QFs.

I guess the "turning it on" myth started that year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    ... France and Greece had more faith than I did, and one day earlier had "played" for the honor of facing Spain in QFs.

I guess the "turning it on" myth started that year as well.
    yup, that was an infamous game... with an ending where the winning team could not look less happy... their fears turned out to be right...

btw, I was in Poland for this tournament. All tickets for the Polish game vs Turkey in Wroclaw were sold out... I saw a few people outside the arena with placards, something like "bilyet" written on them. I thought maybe they were selling tickets for a good profit, so I went to them to ask for it... they didn't speak English, and we had a hilarious conversation somehow in which both sides thought the other one was trying to sell black-market tickets ... in the end I managed to get one officially, and witnessed us beating their NT by a large margin... (We had beaten many teams then, including Lithuania, and the both finalists Serbia and Spain, and then lost in QF to Greece in OT).
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    We had beaten many teams then, including Lithuania, and the both finalists Serbia and Spain, and then lost in QF to Greece in OT
    Turkey had a really good team that year, a lot of size inside with Asik, Erden and Savas. Ilyasova and Turkoglu as forwards. Onan and Guler, as well as some point guards who didn't totally suck. Basically the same roster reached the final game in the World Cup the following year.

The winner reaches Olympics. Poland has nothing to lose, Spain are better team.

POL hanging tough despite a bad start by Ponitka

It's funny when people are saying (including me) that Spain is no longer the same big force for the last 3-5 years. But they keep on making at least Semi-Finals of the largest national tournaments again and again. Of course, they had an easy first group, but the second stage was challenging. Beating Serbia gave them a chance to play against Poland, which is obviously not even European top 8 team, but you can't deny that Spain is still as good as always.

Gasol with a disastrous 1st half, and Ricky moving the team another disaster.

Spain is playing with fire. I see no concetration. Gasol can barely run the floor. Is there any health issue with him?

Quote Originally Posted by soulis79 View Post
    Spain is playing with fire. I see no concetration. Gasol can barely run the floor. Is there any health issue with him?
    He is fat. Just It. Bring his brother on the court, he would play much better with only one leg.

My man Rodolfo is on fire.

To SF! Great last Q by Willy and Ricky!

In the last 16 big tournaments (WC, OG or Eurobasket), Spain has been in 13 semifinals (only out in 2004's Olympic Games, 2010's WC and 2014's WC). Since 2003... Incredible!

Good game! I can now relax and enjoy the rest of the way. Mission accomplished, if we get another win we'll go home with a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chacho View Post
    Gasol with a disastrous 1st half, and Ricky moving the team another disaster.
    Like always no clue when it is about giving value to point guards. Your biass is so bad.

Rubio became an all time world cup assist leader, surpassed Prigioni.
    He is only 28.
    This is his team now.
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast