• GRE (2-1)

12 38.71%
  • CZE (2-1)

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: [2nd Round] Group K: USA-BRA-GRE-CZE

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    If I had to guess it’s Giannis telling the coach that if we get eliminated since participating in the Olympic qualifying tournament is a given he doesn’t want to play in the classification games.
    Although it seems that the most probable scenario for Greece is the classification games, it's really unlikely he made a statement on what is giannis status in classifications, before the elimination.
    Still i can't find a proper interpretation.

If I had to guess it’s Giannis telling the coach that if we get eliminated since participating in the Olympic qualifying tournament is a given he doesn’t want to play in the classification games.
    I don't get this, if Greece is eliminated in this round there aren't any classification games through 9-16. They're just 3rd place in group is ranked in the 9-12 placings, and 4th is in the 13-16 placings.

I suppose he could be talking if they're eliminated in the third round? But why bring that up now?
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

I think that he meant future tournaments but I can't tell. As in, "If he gets hurt now, or if this significantly impacts his NBA performance they are not going to let him come back".

Even in greek his statement doesn't make much sense.
    3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Quote Originally Posted by paspalj View Post
    I think that he meant future tournaments but I can't tell. As in, "If he gets hurt now, or if this significantly impacts his NBA performance they are not going to let him come back".
    I hate that line of thinking because it’s so wrong. They are not going to let him come back? Who isn’t going to let him ?
    It’s all about what Giannis wants to do. He has all the say unless at the time of the tournament he is obviously injured.
    The Bucks are gonna play hardball with Giannis ? He can walk and play anywhere he wants to.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

On Saturday Greece will try to join Argentina as the only team to beat USA/NBA teams twice. And since their last loss was to Greece they will try to become the first team to hand the US consecutive losses.

I hate that line of thinking because it’s so wrong. They are not going to let him come back? Who isn’t going to let him ?
    It’s all about what Giannis wants to do. He has all the say unless at the time of the tournament he is obviously injured.
    The Bucks are gonna play hardball with Giannis ? He can walk and play anywhere he wants to.
    I agree with you. I'm not saying this meaning that they have some legal way to forbid him from going. But in relationships between an employer and a -very well paid- employee there are other ways of forcing situations. Giannis is a great guy, and will want to help Greece but for example I can see him being the way Pau was for example. Showing up for the for the Olympics but not the Eurobasket. Also because he is a great and loyal guy I believe he won't just abandon Milwaukee.

So, if Giannis gets hurt, they won't say "NO NATIONAL TEAM ANYMORE FOR YOU" but more like "Hey, remember that time you got hurt and missed the first quarter of the season? How about we shouldn't risk it this time? Maybe not for the World Cup. How about you go to the Olympics with the rest of the NBAers?"
    3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Quote Originally Posted by paspalj View Post

Even in greek his statement doesn't make much sense.
    Indeed, bad time, bad comment, with no sense, even in terms of grammar.
    He uses also a lot of technical terms, and expressions, way too often than a regular coach, due probably to inferiority complex
    Cringe momments to hear him talking.

USA and whoever wins the brazil-czech republic match. greece will lose both,the team sucks and 6/12 of the greek players are eurocup level players
    Sasa Pukl for MVP

If we project forward and the US wins it’s group a potential quarterfinal matchup against France or Australia is the toughest in that round since being eliminated by Serbia in the ‘02 Worlds and knocking off undefeated Spain in the ‘04 Olympics.

As Papapetrou said. Greece has to play the perfect game to beat the USA. I do not really expect it. The Brazilians on the other hand have convinced me especially in terms of motivation and attitude. In addition, they have a real tactical wizard on the bench. I expect that they will beat the Czechs. With a high probability, we will be leaving the tournament on Saturday.

The statement from Skortopoulos to Gainnis health was very mysterious. Only he knows what he meant by that. I think that we will find out in the next days.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Butler View Post
    As Papapetrou said. Greece has to play the perfect game to beat the USA. I do not really expect it. The Brazilians on the other hand have convinced me especially in terms of motivation and attitude. In addition, they have a real tactical wizard on the bench. I expect that they will beat the Czechs. With a high probability, we will be leaving the tournament on Saturday.

The statement from Skortopoulos to Gainnis health was very mysterious. Only he knows what he meant by that. I think that we will find out in the next days.
    I think he meant that Giannis cannot play 40 minutes and every attack created by him, he is probably thinking the critisism he is getting about using Giannis

Quote Originally Posted by Demi View Post
    I think he meant that Giannis cannot play 40 minutes and every attack created by him, he is probably thinking the critisism he is getting about using Giannis
    I think this is the most probable interpretation. Coach S. is in apalogy modus ever since he took over the NT.

On Saturday Greece will try to join Argentina as the only team to beat USA/NBA teams twice. And since their last loss was to Greece they will try to become the first team to hand the US consecutive losses.
    To make a long story short: Greece will kiss the tournament bye bye and loose two games in a row. Still there is some interest in this tournament. Who will miss more open threes? "Nick the Brick" or the "MVP the even bricker".
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 09-05-2019 at 08:41 PM.

I honestly believe that Greece has as good a chance as anyone to beat Team USA. Not saying they will. Not even a close game is guaranteed. Only stating that the tools to make it happen are there. Of course USA is the clear-cut favourite, but a loss wouldn't be an absolute upset.

Even if Greece finishes what Turkey started, I don't think Brazil can duplicate that. There isn't a real chance for Team USA to be out of the QFs. Any three-way tie will favour either Greece or USA, leaving Brazil's safer bet to ensure a huge loss against the (north)americans.

So Greece has to beat the US or else they are out. No matter the result, it will be shock for the tournament. I always predicted that the US could lose in the second round to Greece, but I expected much more from Greece in the first round. I wonder what the odds are that USA and Czechs make it through.

Well it wouldn't be consecutive losses.. I'm pretty sure the US got their revenge in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by 3.14159 View Post
    So Greece has to beat the US or else they are out. No matter the result, it will be shock for the tournament. I always predicted that the US could lose in the second round to Greece, but I expected much more from Greece in the first round. I wonder what the odds are that USA and Czechs make it through.
    I believe Turkey set a good tone for others and showed that US is most definitely vulnerable this year and Greece or any other Second Tier team can beat USA with some attitude it will be interesting to watch them the rest of the tournament and just wait for that one game were they fall.
    Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Not quite, if the US beat Greece, and Brazil beat the Czech Republic then yes Greece would be out. However if US beats Greece and Czech Republic beat Brazil, then US beats Brazil, and Greece beats Czech Republic, then if the Point Differential was in their favor Greece would survive.

Naturally that's really complicated, and Greece would need things to break their way, best chance for them to survive is win both games.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Well it wouldn't be consecutive losses.. I'm pretty sure the US got their revenge in 2008.
    What I was trying to say was that the US losses have never been to the same team. After every loss, when they eventually would lose again it was always to a different country. Since Greece was their last loss, if they lose on Saturday it’s not a different country it’s Greece again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Not quite, if the US beat Greece, and Brazil beat the Czech Republic then yes Greece would be out. However if US beats Greece and Czech Republic beat Brazil, then US beats Brazil, and Greece beats Czech Republic, then if the Point Differential was in their favor Greece would survive.

Naturally that's really complicated, and Greece would need things to break their way, best chance for them to survive is win both games.
    Actually unless I am miss something it’s not that complicated. If Brazil loses to Czech Republic and the US they are done due to the point differential. Only +1 and minus whatever they lose to Czech by. If Greece beats the Czech Republic the USA loss would be irrelevant. Greece would only have to beat the Czech Republic by 2 more points maybe even just 1 more point than the Czech Republic beats Brazil by. Since I really don’t see a blowout there, basically if Brazil loses to Czechs, Greece loses to USA, and Brazil loses to USA, Brazil is done and Czech-Greece game is a playoff.

When it’s a three team tie for one spot the tiebreaker is clear. What I am not sure about is a scenario like this:

Three way tie at 4-1.
    Brazil beats Czechs loses to US.
    Greece wins both games

The three way point differential tiebreaker produces the winner of the group. But then is the second place point differential team finish in second place in the group or after the point differential decides the group winner do the remaining two teams use the head to head tie breaker ?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast