20 64.52%
  • GRE (2-1)

12 38.71%
  • CZE (2-1)

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: [2nd Round] Group K: USA-BRA-GRE-CZE

dirk was winning medals with arigbabu,nikagbatse and demirel. end of discussion about giannis. his status in national teams tournaments is on batum's 3 years ago level. a very good player but not a leader you can count on to win you a game
    Sasa Pukl for MVP

Quote Originally Posted by markkanen View Post
    Right now, Greece has the same problems as Lithuania. 2-3 decent guards, the rest are not decent players, let alone good.

Calathes, Sloukas, maybe Dorsey, that's it. No more Spanoulis, no more Zizis.
    Lithuania would be in quarter final if they would have a better draw. Greece messed up against Brazil. It is not the rooster as they would have won most games against any team in their group aside from the USA. But you have a point also.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Some players fit Fiba basketball more than others. When it comes to Nba, things are different. I think the best example is Pau-Nowitzki duo. I remember them playing against each other at Eurobasket 2001 Turkey. Both were amazing but real star was Nowitzki thanks to his more mature body and experience. In general, Gasol has been more dominant than Nowitzki in national competitions. In Nba, Nowitzki has far better career. Anyway, I think they are the best ever Europeans.

The problem with Giannis is not the team. In the same logic, Nowitzki wouldnt make more than 10 ppg with German NT, whose point guards is Mithat Demirel, in 2001 and 2002.

Yeah, Giannis is stil very good player even at Fiba competitions but the truth is that he coulnt meet the expactations. As I said before, I would prefer 35-year-old Pau Gasol over current Giannis.

Anyone have any theories as to what happened with Papanikolaou's three point shooting? Back in 2012-13 he was shooting over 50% (!!!) from distance in the Euroleague and that went way down when he moved to Barcelona and then onto the NBA where it declined further. He was shooting 37% in his two most recent seasons at Olympiacos. I guess in retrospect 2013 might have been a fluke shooting wise but in general he seemed to have some positive momentum in his career at that point which was lost in the move to Barca.

Very good point Jazz. I still can't used to see him bricking the lights out. He used to be a great shooter.

My views for the future of greek basketball team...

When the team is subdivided in a guard, forward and paint parts I can say that the Guards Sloukas/Calathes was as expected. Their weaknesses were clear and they even under performed in the starting games but you could also see that the greek team has a huge problem to score. Calathes a player you would accept with 30% three point percentage made 24 points and czechs were merely beaten by 7. The greeks were optimistic that larentzakis would perform well but coach couldnt trust him and on the court he didnt do anything to make the coach trust him.

The forward postions are in a horrible situation. Papanik and Papapetrou are not the player of this level, especially Papanikolaou seemed really not to be on the court.

The coach couldnt find the optimal starting five. Sometimes Giannis played with Printezis, sometimes with Bourousis. The roles were not very clear. Giannis was after the third foul not on the court in the game against the Czechs. It was not his tournament at all.

Considering that Printezis/Bourousis will probably retire the question will remain who is going to be implemented in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Anyone have any theories as to what happened with Papanikolaou's three point shooting? Back in 2012-13 he was shooting over 50% (!!!) from distance in the Euroleague and that went way down when he moved to Barcelona and then onto the NBA where it declined further. He was shooting 37% in his two most recent seasons at Olympiacos. I guess in retrospect 2013 might have been a fluke shooting wise but in general he seemed to have some positive momentum in his career at that point which was lost in the move to Barca.
    I think he was exchanged in the states with an impostor and the real one is still somewhere in the Denver Mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Lithuania would be in quarter final if they would have a better draw. Greece messed up against Brazil. It is not the rooster as they would have won most games against any team in their group aside from the USA. But you have a point also.
    Of course, Lithuania is better team overall and they would be (like 99% ) in quarter final if they played against Czech republic and Brazil but that's only because of excellent centers and power forwards. Lithuania should be very grateful to Mantas Kalnietis and all of his performances year after year in NT.

Is there any future potential WC players among young greek guards? I can't see any. I mean, that's the real problem in the future for so many teams (even for Serbia).
    Last edited by markkanen; 09-09-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Serbia has a very interesting kid at PG which has to be observed closely and Lithuania has, too. We will see in what kind of players Trifunovic and Velicka will develop but I have a slightly positive feeling about both. They have something very special. Like always for young players we will have to watch carefully their transition into senior basketball.

I was expecting more from Giannis too, I didn't know how, but I thought he could at least be a nightmare at defensive end... KB's Kirilenko example is great, he was a game changer...

on the other hand, if we consider Papanikolaou might have been abducted by aliens really, who performed worse than expected? I can't think of any, but again I did not properly watch every game.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

I think we can safely say that Giannis has more troubles than Nowitzki due to FIBA rules. Defensive 3 seconds and hand checking rule are limiting Giannis' capacity a lot. Nowitzki was a different player than Giannis. Nowitzki didn't need to dribble or tussle with others to score, his mid-range shots was making all the difference, which is all the same in both FIBA and NBA.

They say Kirilenko, but except for one tournament (2007), I really don't remember when Kirilenko created a Nowitzki effect or even Pau Gasol effect in national team.
    FENERBAHE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019 Turkish Cup Champion ---
    --- 1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 TBL Champion ---
    --- 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    I was expecting more from Giannis too, I didn't know how, but I thought he could at least be a nightmare at defensive end... KB's Kirilenko example is great, he was a game changer...

on the other hand, if we consider Papanikolaou might have been abducted by aliens really, who performed worse than expected? I can't think of any, but again I did not properly watch every game.
    Giannis of course. 14.8/8.8/2 are very solid stats but not for the leader of the team, that are stats of the second opinion. In 2017 Eurobasket 18 years old Luka had 14.3/8.1/3.6, great stats for the kid, very similar to Giannis’s, but Slovenia has won gold because their leader had 22.6/4.4/5.1. Greece expected similar performance from Giannis, but unfortunately he couldn’t deliver. We can say 1.000 excuses, but that was just not the performance of the superstar and MVP of Nba.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    He started hanging out with Vojvoda Keselj

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    Serbia has a very interesting kid at PG which has to be observed closely and Lithuania has, too. We will see in what kind of players Trifunovic and Velicka will develop but I have a slightly positive feeling about both. They have something very special. Like always for young players we will have to watch carefully their transition into senior basketball.
    Trifunovic will never play PG in the seniors. Yes at his youth level, the vision and handle seem good but no way it translates as he grows. He is also slow-footed and will strugle to defend lead guards. I think he will probably be a SF with a handle in the seniors. We can maybe dream of him becoming a Bodiroga-lite type of player...

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    Trifunovic will never play PG in the seniors. Yes at his youth level, the vision and handle seem good but no way it translates as he grows. He is also slow-footed and will strugle to defend lead guards. I think he will probably be a SF with a handle in the seniors. We can maybe dream of him becoming a Bodiroga-lite type of player...
    As far as I know Mega is planning to play him at point the next season and already did so in this month. Milojevic is for sure not the best coach for developing guards even I think he is overall a great person to work with kids - his success speaks for himself. We will see from October what they plan to do with him, if and how he will adopt to senior level. The things I saw from last year, like the tournament of Partizan youth against senior teams in China looked very good as PG.

Bohacik knocked down some big shots in this game. Dude is 'quietly' averaging 17ppg (4th in the tournament among players from 2nd round teams) on 42% from deep.
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Giannis of course. 14.8/8.8/2 are very solid stats but not for the leader of the team, that are stats of the second opinion. In 2017 Eurobasket 18 years old Luka had 14.3/8.1/3.6, great stats for the kid, very similar to Giannis’s, but Slovenia has won gold because their leader had 22.6/4.4/5.1. Greece expected similar performance from Giannis, but unfortunately he couldn’t deliver. We can say 1.000 excuses, but that was just not the performance of the superstar and MVP of Nba.
    Slovenia was an underdog in that Eurobasket. Greece was a favourite for a medal due to Giannis.

Quote Originally Posted by markkanen View Post
    Of course, Lithuania is better team overall and they would be (like 99% ) in quarter final if they played against Czech republic and Brazil but that's only because of excellent centers and power forwards. Lithuania should be very grateful to Mantas Kalnietis and all of his performances year after year in NT.

Is there any future potential WC players among young greek guards? I can't see any. I mean, that's the real problem in the future for so many teams (even for Serbia).
    Right now I would simply continue with this team. Calathes and Sloukas have some good years in them, and they are a better guard duo than you can find in most team s. Greece needs a new coach. Bourousis may retire. But hopefully Papagiannis will be better. And there is still Koufos who now is playing in Europe. Giannis is going to be better. I would also add Dorsey. Basically that's it. You hope for the best. If that is not enough for medal, then so be it. But with a good coach I think they can be a good team.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Slovenia was an underdog in that Eurobasket. Greece was a favourite for a medal due to Giannis.
    stop that bullshit about medal in every single tournament we participate. our roster (with antetokunbo included) is worse than USA,serbia,spain,france,australia for sure. and on the same level with lithuania and perhaps italy,germany and turkey. i would rank it as the 7th best,so dreaming about medals was delusional. btw hoping for a medal due to giannis in a fiba tournament is funny cause he never had,does not have and will never have the impact he has in the nba here in europe with complicated defense, no defensive 3 seconds violation,less possesion/game for the teams,longer time in every possesion,less transition game. you can see how other nba stars play way better in these tournaments. mills,ingles,baynes,bellineli,gallinari,fournier etc. noone is nba mvp,noone is an allstar,noone is even his team's franchise player but their contribution to their teams is much bigger than giannis

all this brainwash bullshit delivered by greek stupid journalists needs to stop sometime. giannis is an allstar in the nba,but he is not gonna be left out of any critisism. and his performance was not even near to the nba mvp in this tournament. and his previous performances with greece prove that it wont change in the future
    Sasa Pukl for MVP

Quote Originally Posted by saras View Post
    his previous performances with greece prove that it wont change in the future
    I think that at least his 3pt shooting and defense abilities will improve since these elements are considered valuable in the NBA as well. Also a fadeaway or turn around jumpshot would not harm his NBA play. Maybe his coaches will help him to develop all skills required to create his own shot.

I once read that Holger Geschwinder Nowitzki's mentor and private shooting coach was interested to train Giannis but I never heared anything about the outcome of this effort.
    Here ist the link: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/b...i-next-summer/

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast